Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

i wouldnt mind at all nyprospect. I still love consulting I just would not do it professionally ever again. Free advice is no problem though cause I love talking about finance and retirement. Would explain why 10% is good for most people but kind of a drawn out explanation. The short of it though is that your 1st 5% would be taxed if you didn't put it into your 401k so if you don't do 5% you are giving it to the IRS instead of putting it into your pocket. EX: if you have 2 checks for 80 hours and in one check you didn't make any contribution to your 401k but in the other you put 5% into it, you would see that your net pay is the same amount. The only difference is in one you gave the 5% ($86.48 at our current base pay) to the IRS. In the one where you made the contribution however, you put 86.48 in your pocket. In addition to that you would get more back on your tax return because you would lower your taxable income from $45,000 (base pay) to 42,800 so the IRS can only tax you on 42,800. If your OT increases raise your contribution. Pay yourself instead of the IRS. No one should put less than 10% in. That's what I told all of my clients. Its worth it.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I know dunnlick. I worked for the post office for 10 years. This would have been my 16th year. Long story but I left to start my own asset management firm. The benefits here are way better than the P.O. As for passes to ride the train daveyboy...you get a separate pass for metro north they should have given you the form during final processing. I live in long island so I had to fill out a form for a LIRR pass in addition to getting my MTA pass. Your pass is also good for life even when you retire. When I was taking my photo for ID as a matter of fact a retired dude came in to get a new pass. Also if you want or need more OT pick capital. I actually get first pick in my class since I was the first or second one to be sworn in for the oct 26th class. I will be picking capital for sure. Got a lot of catching up to do financially. Anyone pciking health insurance I can speak from experience that the empire plan is great. I used to have GHI which was great. But that empire plan is better and much much cheaper. Also utilize that FSA especially if you have kids. It will lower your tax bracket so mthat you get more money back on your taxes. It will also make up to 5k of your money tax free. Read that FSA info carefully. You can use the money to pay a relitive who is not your dependant "babysitting" fees up to 5k take that money and pay some bills tax free. I've helped many people retire and save for retirement. One of the major things that separates people who have money from those who dont is that the people who have understand how to use the tax code to avoid overpaying and to lower their tax burden. If done correctly a person making 60k a year can live like they are making 100k a year. On the other hand the person making 100k who doesnt understand how to use the tax code to their advantage may as well be making 60k a year. It makes a big difference and is all legal because you have to provide certain paperwork to use certain things. Anyway make sure you put a minimum of 10% into your 401k. I will be putting 20% because i will be doing a good amount of OT.

You are right about the health plan being cheaper it doesn't cost you a cent and I went with united health care because 0 co pays empire is $15 per person per visit so if you have a few kids and you take them to doc at same time it's $15 each kid so I you have two kids $30 for the visits the only advantage to Blue cross is you can use it in any state but who gives a sh@t we live in New York also the choice plus plan blue cross you get dental for child until they are 21 or 23 but you forfeit union dental. A lot of info you will get first day

didn't know that. I will not be giving up union dental or vision for any other plan. Any dentist you go to will treat you like royalty when they find out the union pays them. Those plans are great. I have 3 kids so I look over these things thoroughly. Will see which fits when I get there. Don't mind the copays as long as the plan is great. I think they had lifetime health insurance in the past. Doubt they still have that. In the past lots of government jobs had lifetime health for yourself and your spouse. That would be an unbelivably great thing if they had it. But I won't hold my breath.

didn't know that. I will not be giving up union dental or vision for any other plan. Any dentist you go to will treat you like royalty when they find out the union pays them. Those plans are great. I have 3 kids so I look over these things thoroughly. Will see which fits when I get there. Don't mind the copays as long as the plan is great. I think they had lifetime health insurance in the past. Doubt they still have that. In the past lots of government jobs had lifetime health for yourself and your spouse. That would be an unbelivably great thing if they had it. But I won't hold my breath.

You can stop holding breath cause you pay 2% of your salary each pay check so you have benefits for life. Also the healthcare is mta union is dental and vision I took united health care because I've had it in the past and everyone seems to take it no co pays which is great I was saying get blue cross when your kids are 19 so they can have dental until 21or 23 cause the union dental kids are off at 19 then you can go back on union dental once they are all past the age they can receive dental benefits

Btw. My boy was on wind detail the other day while on OT. Just to give you an idea of what type of stuff we will be doing. He got paid $45 an hour to watch the wind blow.

Btw. My boy was on wind detail the other day while on OT. Just to give you an idea of what type of stuff we will be doing. He got paid $45 an hour to watch the wind blow.

All you guys coming in, in October its a good time ( although oct 5 is a little better). November is filled with holidays and yall will be able to pick up some AVA'S. You will learn more about it in school but try and load up your ava and oto bank. It comes in handy especially during your first year.

those that take merto north and the LIRR will get free passes....

As soon as you start school ask about the form for the metro north pass.

It takes time to process and the woman who handles it is very particular on what color ink you use to fill it out.

I'll get some info, even the form if I can, for those who need it today.

Being I'm in the Bronx I've no need for it.

Well, my plan of just popping up has failed up to this point. I pretended that I got a phone call and evidently they have a list that I'm not on. I don't have anything better to do today so I'm gonna stay in the building until they kick me out or speak to me. The people on her list are way past my list number of 310-315. Something is up, and it's not dirty urine.

Ok. Finally spoke to the man himself. He tells me that since I was a former employee, my application is taking longer than normal and he's just waiting for my paperwork to clear from my former division. That's all for now.

You will get your lIRR or MNR pass the first day of class it goes by your address when you fill out the forms for ID's you will fill out an extra form I got my NYCT and MNR pass first day. One pretty big set back is that you don't reach top pay for 6 years said 4 on application when took test but guess things change that sux cause that's a lot of money we are losing oh well can't win them all thank goodness the paper work is done onto Coney Island for actual training (I think)

what?!! That's BS. Here I am telling people we got the last good contract cause everyone taking tests now has to wait for 6 years for top pay and we only have to wait 4. Wish the union had some way to fight that but whatever. Glad to have the job. And considering I will pick capitol, i'll make the OT anyway

As soon as you start school ask about the form for the metro north pass.

It takes time to process and the woman who handles it is very particular on what color ink you use to fill it out.

I'll get some info, even the form if I can, for those who need it today.

Being I'm in the Bronx I've no need for it.

Question I just moved to to BX from westchester, waiting for my call however Metro north lines runs right by me, can I also apply for that pass since its a much faster commute going into and from the city or its only if you live outside NYC ?

You will get your lIRR or MNR pass the first day of class it goes by your address when you fill out the forms for ID's you will fill out an extra form I got my NYCT and MNR pass first day. One pretty big set back is that you don't reach top pay for 6 years said 4 on application when took test but guess things change that sux cause that's a lot of money we are losing oh well can't win them all thank goodness the paper work is done onto Coney Island for actual training (I think)

How much is top pay ?

top pay right now is around 30-31. By the time we hit top pay 6 years from now it will be higher. However, if you are looking for more money just take a promo exam once you pass probation. Just keep over 50% of your sick time to be promoted and take a test. Or transfer to a different craft. Right now I think starting salary for train operator is at our top pay.

doubt I will transfer to another craft. I know what track is like and it fits me. Most I will probably do is promote to supervisor when the time comes. I don't want to drive a bus, don't want to be in an office, don't want to utilize my education that cost me 100k because at my age I know what I want. I would be comfortable working track until I retire. When it becomes too much for my body I will sit on my ass and tell people what to do. Besides...my education will allow me to make a lot of money on the side once I gain the capital I need to invest properly which I will get from the job. So I'm not looking for more money from the job other than the OT I need to catch up. But if you are looking for more just transfer after a year or take a promo (also to transfer). BTW saw you in the office on friday (bookbag and bubble vest correct?) will say what's up if I see you in the system.

Question I just moved to to BX from westchester, waiting for my call however Metro north lines runs right by me, can I also apply for that pass since its a much faster commute going into and from the city or its only if you live outside NYC ?

How much is top pay ?

Think it's 31 and change but it increase 2% every year so by the time we reach top pay it will be 12% more than it is now

Think it's 31 and change but it increase 2% every year so by the time we reach top pay it will be 12% more than it is now

Also you will find out when you sign papers for your ID if you fill out two forms then you will be getting a MNR pass as well to tell you the truth I don't remember filling out both but I must have cause I got mine first day of class along with my NYCT ID card

Ok. Finally spoke to the man himself. He tells me that since I was a former employee, my application is taking longer than normal and he's just waiting for my paperwork to clear from my former division. That's all for now.

Even if you miss the class coming up, atleast you know why. And that u are not just waitng home on a letter. Your time was not wasted going to livingston IMO. Good luck

top pay right now is around 30-31. By the time we hit top pay 6 years from now it will be higher. However, if you are looking for more money just take a promo exam once you pass probation. Just keep over 50% of your sick time to be promoted and take a test. Or transfer to a different craft. Right now I think starting salary for train operator is at our top pay.

I thought top pay for track worker was $29 ( that could have been from the old contract). And yea all new guys got screwed with this contract, especially with pay raises and pension contribution but thats another thread. Also guys if you plan on seeing 80k in a year, be prepared TO NEVER BE HOME! Its rough when u have a family

27 hours of OT a week doubles your salary.  no matter what you make.  if your salary is 1 million, do 27 hours of OT a week and you get 2 mill.  I don't plan on doing 27 hours per week but I do plan on working 1 of my days off if possible and a few extra hours during the week for my first 6 months.  From what i understand about capitol thats pretty easy to get.  As for time with the wife and kids...I used to work for the Post Office.  Postal workers work 6 days a week for most of their carrers and scarcely ever get saturday and sunday off.  There are guys who work for 25 years and never got saturday and sunday off every single weekend.  If you are lucky you get a full weekend off once a month.  I'm used to it.  You make time for your family.  Believe me there are ways to work around it.  Missing too much time drives you and your family crazy though.  Spending too much time with the wife and kids can also drive you crazy. Its been 15 years I love em all to death and always will but sometimes I want to line them up like in the 3 stooges and just go down the line smacking. Finding a good balance is key.