Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did. Mta doctor got my paper work and cleared my hold. But what's next? I can't get a straight answer.

I did. Mta doctor got my paper work and cleared my hold. But what's next? I can't get a straight answer.

When was your hold lifted ?? Probably just waiting for next class that MTA is tight lipped about. That is why they say to call DCAS because either they don't know or won't say when the class is

If there is an upcoming class which is not already full, then final processing. If the upcoming classes are full, then you will be contacted when the next class is going to take place. If this does not happen within 3 months, then you have to re-do the entire process (drug test, medical examination, etc.) The good news is that your list number stays the same, therefore if they do call more candidates with a higher list number compared to yours, you will be given first priority.

Anyone called back for medical from the group that did drug test on 9/28? 

As far as I can tell from this forum no, outside the forum I have no idea. But it seems the people who made it into the 10/26 class were in the 410-420 range. You know my list number range I've posted it a few times already. I've called HR, they weren't giving up any information, and so far DCAS hasn't updated the last appointed list number for the 10/26 class. Maybe they'll update it as of tomorrow, but as of now no dice. We still have 57 days before the test expires, so anything can happen between now and then, especially if there's a January class. Hopefully it comes even sooner than that.

I just breezed back to page 92, BigBuckzzz got a letter for the drug test and is in the 650-660 range. So they did call quite a bit of people down for phase 1 of the process. Unless allot of people either turn it down, fail the drug test, medical, or anything else, it's safe to assume allot of people will be going back for a second drug test. There were some guys who were in the 300 range who took their first drug test last spring, and just made it into the recent classes.

EDIT: Either way we both got 1 foot in the door, just of matter of when they get the wheels turning for phase 2 of processing.

Edited by SteveNYC

Finished 1st week of training and got to go on the tracks for the first time. When you guys get called for orientation they will tell you the things that they are biggest on are being late and absent too much. If your late your supervisor is allowed to cut your pay or send you home. You get 1 sick day a month and at beginning of MTA year they give you 12 upfront. But if your trying to get promoted you need to have at least half your sick days until that point. I've only seen one tool but they are heavy and the rails are 100-115 pounds so I would go to the gym while you wait and work on triceps, forearm, biceps, and back. From what the instructor told us day jobs are outside and on the elevated structure and usually have the power on and night jobs are in the subway and may have the power off. But on nights you work on a lot more rails. He said 3-5 rails for day and 30-50 for nights and capital but I'm not 100% sure it will be like that. I guess in the day the trains are constantly coming by so you have to stop working and clear up then go back to work and that takes up the time.

Finished 1st week of training and got to go on the tracks for the first time. When you guys get called for orientation they will tell you the things that they are biggest on are being late and absent too much. If your late your supervisor is allowed to cut your pay or send you home. You get 1 sick day a month and at beginning of MTA year they give you 12 upfront. But if your trying to get promoted you need to have at least half your sick days until that point. I've only seen one tool but they are heavy and the rails are 100-115 pounds so I would go to the gym while you wait and work on triceps, forearm, biceps, and back. From what the instructor told us day jobs are outside and on the elevated structure and usually have the power on and night jobs are in the subway and may have the power off. But on nights you work on a lot more rails. He said 3-5 rails for day and 30-50 for nights and capital but I'm not 100% sure it will be like that. I guess in the day the trains are constantly coming by so you have to stop working and clear up then go back to work and that takes up the time.

Believe it or not Bobert 2 best exercises in general for life in the construction industry are Squats and Deadlifts ( that's if lifting is your thing ). I've been lifting for a very long time and I have deadlifts to thank for having the back I have. Both of those exercises are the best for core strength, and they literally work every muscle in the body. But perfect form is a must because both can seriously f**k you up if you don't know what you're doing. Olympic squatting ( all the way down is the way to go ). 4-500 lb pulls off the ground will get your forearms allot stronger than 50lb wrist curls will. Sadly unless you workout in an old school style gym like I do, those 2 exercises are a dying breed. Most commercial gyms don't even allow deadlifting or the use of chalk. Most people live only machines nowadays, and all machines do is nothing except limit the development of your stabilizer muscles.

Believe it or not Bobert 2 best exercises in general for life in the construction industry are Squats and Deadlifts ( that's if lifting is your thing ). I've been lifting for a very long time and I have deadlifts to thank for having the back I have. Both of those exercises are the best for core strength, and they literally work every muscle in the body. But perfect form is a must because both can seriously f**k you up if you don't know what you're doing. Olympic squatting ( all the way down is the way to go ). 4-500 lb pulls off the ground will get your forearms allot stronger than 50lb wrist curls will. Sadly unless you workout in an old school style gym like I do, those 2 exercises are a dying breed. Most commercial gyms don't even allow deadlifting or the use of chalk. Most people live only machines nowadays, and all machines do is nothing except limit the development of your stabilizer muscles.

Deadlifts are good too. But you need to be careful cause insurance from MTA doesn't kick in for 90 days. If anyone has any medical problems I would get it fixed before you start the class.

I wouldn't worry too much about working out. If you've never done it before you're likely to hurt yourself before you even start the job, lol. Stretching before the job starts isn't a bad idea. Just know your limitations, lift what you can(properly)and work at your own pace and you'll be fine. The men and women on this job come in all shapes and sizes. Some can lift a lot, most can't(or won't). Concentrate more on your surroundings, and always be aware of the 3rd rail and trains.

Today we lifted the rails and used the tools to pull out and hammer back in the spikes. The rail is 1200-1500lbs but you have a group of people so its not as bad as it can be. But I find the hardest part for lifting the rail is your footing and position. If there are multiple rails close to each other your foot might not fit in between properly and it gets harder You can have one leg over 3rd rail and you end up holding the weight further from your body than you would in the gym. The tools arent too bad but it depends on your experience with them. A lot of guys keep missing the spikes when trying to hammer them in but that can be fixed with repetition.

Edited by Bobert

If you get to the yard by or before 7:30 you have a chance. Between workers and the contractors it gets real tight after that. being most spots you make yourself depending on your driving skill, LOL

Contractors try to take over lots of spots by placing things in the way. Outside the Yard on Waters Pl. it gets tight also with the school employees parking there also.

If your not familiar with the yard when you pull in past the first building (new tower) on your left there are spaces just passed the building on the left. If you continue straight and go over the tracks (where there is some construction on your right) and make a right just in front of the old tower there are more spaces. Even leading up the dirt road passed the contractors trailer (on your right) you'll find more spaces. To the left of the old tower there are a just a few spaces.

Personally, I always prefer leaving early and taking my own car when I can. Are you familiar with the area at all around Westchester Yard?

If you get to the yard by or before 7:30 you have a chance. Between workers and the contractors it gets real tight after that. being most spots you make yourself depending on your driving skill, LOL

Contractors try to take over lots of spots by placing things in the way. Outside the Yard on Waters Pl. it gets tight also with the school employees parking there also.

If your not familiar with the yard when you pull in past the first building (new tower) on your left there are spaces just passed the building on the left. If you continue straight and go over the tracks (where there is some construction on your right) and make a right just in front of the old tower there are more spaces. Even leading up the dirt road passed the contractors trailer (on your right) you'll find more spaces. To the left of the old tower there are a just a few spaces.

Personally, I always prefer leaving early and taking my own car when I can. Are you familiar with the area at all around Westchester Yard?

Absolutely not. I come from the other side of ny lol. I'm assuming you have been in training for a few weeks now. How has it been?

dp142 has been in training for the last 20+ years lol. Technically training never ends with anything, always something to learn no matter what you do.

I'm with the TA 23 years.

I just noticed some new Track workers the other day in the yard. Figured I might get to meet someone from this thread in person.

I started in Track in '92 then took a promotion to 3rd Rail, Power Distribution (whatever they call us with the Grey helmets at the moment) in '94.

Steve is right. Even with a little over 20 years I learned some new things when I decided to leave nights after 20 yrs. and come days. Things between days and nights are different, guys doing different parts of the same job don't realize how what they do affect the others.

Example: in Track when I first started in Capital my job was to take the hand railings off the truck and put them on the Panel (39' section of track) that the street crane would bring up. I felt like I did right. dragged a whole bunch and got them on the panel just to have the men up top yelling at me (real nasty too, LOL) Turn out dragging the pipes the blue caps came off the end and the threads were damaged now and wouldn't screw together. Back then we had no tapping tool so the pipes were scrapped. I went from feeling real big to real dumb quick!

Not yet. I might be soon, how is parking there? Deciding on if I should drive or take the train.

I was in Westchester yard yesterday with my crew we dug up 100+ ties burried in dirt and ballast some ties just desinigrated think it was the only day gonna be there we'll see it's where ever they decide to send us one more week in training then it's down in the tubes til who knows when lol

Just an update for anyone who went in for the drug test 9/28 and after, according to DCAS the last number appointed was 415 as of 11/8. I'm not on an "oustanding certification", which means the list went back to DCAS for the time being. My list number is in the 485-495 range, so hopefully come December they start calling us in for medical for the winter class, or we'll be going back for a second drug test. Atleast I have the 21 page encyclopedia of my life filled out.

Edited by SteveNYC

If your in Westchester yard Monday post it and I'll find you

It's always nice to put an actual face to a name and get to know people in other departments.

We will be reporting there Tuesday but I'm not sure if we will be staying in that yard... 23 years on the job, that's awesome. The training is very focused on saftey. Have you had any serious injuries?