Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

That's correct! When I went through the Bus Operator Training Program in February of 2014 (and failed), I was placed into Tier 6, which is 10/63 so things might have changed. Perhaps a rookie employee can elaborate more on this...

Thanks in advance.

Anyone hired after 4/01/12 at NYCTA is in Tier 6. Tier 6 is a 25/55 pension just like Tier 4(I'm in Tier 4). The big difference between Transit Tier 4 and Transit Tier 6 is Tier 4 employees pay a fixed 2% (of their gross) into their pensions, whereas Tier 6 members pay on a sliding scale anywhere between 3% and 6% (of their gross) depending on how much money they make(scale is 45k to 100k+). 10/63 are the vesting requirements for Tier 6. This means that if you resign/retire anytime after 10 years of service and you're not 55 yet you can freeze your pension pay and collect at age 63. Tier 4 vesting requirements are 5/62.

Both Tiers(4,6) must fulfill the time(25yrs)and age(at least 55 years old)requirements to collect their full benefits. If not, they revert to 10/63 and 5/62 respectively.

Btw, medical benefits do not carry over with 10/63 and 5/62 pensions, just the accumulated pay.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally got that letter I dreaded. I quote: "You were considered and not selected for appointment in accordance with Rule 4.7.1 (C), of the rules and regulations of the new York city personnel director." And that's a wrap folks. Good luck to the rest of you.

The same thing happened with me with the TO exam. I previously worked for MTA also. I wasn't stressing the letter at the time because I had other matters to tend to. Now my focus is on asking around and making some noise! IMO this tactic is more retaliatory than anything else. MTA expects you not to question or fight it. Don't let that stop you. Fight it!! From my understanding , that 3 N 1 rule is for promotional exams only. I'll keep you posted on my situation.

The same thing happened with me with the TO exam. I previously worked for MTA also. I wasn't stressing the letter at the time because I had other matters to tend to. Now my focus is on asking around and making some noise! IMO this tactic is more retaliatory than anything else. MTA expects you not to question or fight it. Don't let that stop you. Fight it!! From my understanding , that 3 N 1 rule is for promotional exams only. I'll keep you posted on my situation.

Read his post history, the situation he is or was now in he did to himself. I'm pretty sure it's only half of the story, especially when the union says they cannot help you, and hands you a resignation letter to sign.

EDIT: Happy Thanksgiving everyone !

Edited by SteveNYC

Anyone hired after 4/01/12 at NYCTA is in Tier 6. Tier 6 is a 25/55 pension just like Tier 4(I'm in Tier 4). The big difference between Transit Tier 4 and Transit Tier 6 is Tier 4 employees pay a fixed 2% (of their gross) into their pensions, whereas Tier 6 members pay on a sliding scale anywhere between 3% and 6% (of their gross) depending on how much money they make(scale is 45k to 100k+). 10/63 are the vesting requirements for Tier 6. This means that if you resign/retire anytime after 10 years of service and you're not 55 yet you can freeze your pension pay and collect at age 63. Tier 4 vesting requirements are 5/62.

Both Tiers(4,6) must fulfill the time(25yrs)and age(at least 55 years old)requirements to collect their full benefits. If not, they revert to 10/63 and 5/62 respectively.

Btw, medical benefits do not carry over with 10/63 and 5/62 pensions, just the accumulated pay.

What would we do about medical after retirement then?

Senior guys love the $now...most senior guys have cush jobs and aren't going anywhere

this is correct the senior guys do less work , some substantially, to the point of not touching tracks at all...they volunteer for overtime just much as mid career or rookies

waz up,  anybody got the 411 on the list..  any movement? appreciate any info...

According to the Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), as of December 6th, 2015, the list number of the last candidate....

...certified is 775

...appointed is 415.

A whole year and they only went thru 400 name. This was suppose to be the hiring year because of the freeze and all the people that supposedly were to retire. At this rate they won't even get to 1000 names in 4 years. I'm in the 1200's and loosing hope.

@ Moderator, what is the difference between the two, "Certified" an "Appointed" thanks.

Generally speaking, "certified" is the last person who was called down to take the drug test and "appointed" is the last person who has passed the hiring process and is currently enrolled in the track worker class.

Now, for this list, you have to keep in mind that one of the candidates who scored a perfect score of 100% on the multiple-choice exam was given extra credit when he or she should have not received this. As a result, even though this candidate has been down to Livingston Street, this candidate's list number is 775 and, from what I've been reading in this topic, they are not up to that list number.

Also, not only from this topic, but others as well, some folks believe that the information posted in these topics is more accurate than the information from DCAS. Therefore, it's ultimately up to you to make a decision as far as what's more accurate.

I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine who is in track, and he pretty much informed that those rumors of people retiring from track, were just that. Rumors. No one is going anywhere. It's pretty much a fact that most guys are even planning on trying to work as much as they can past retirement age even. No one is willing to leave a well paying job with exemplary benefits due to the super exorbitant cost of living in NYC. You have retirees that are pushing the envelope in order to make ends meet. This seems to be pretty accurate because this list is definitely moving as slow as molasses. The best piece of advice that I have given myself is to make sure that my contact info is accurate and to totally forget about this position because the chances of landing it are very dim. 

I recently had a discussion with a friend of mine who is in track, and he pretty much informed that those rumors of people retiring from track, were just that. Rumors. No one is going anywhere. It's pretty much a fact that most guys are even planning on trying to work as much as they can past retirement age even. No one is willing to leave a well paying job with exemplary benefits due to the super exorbitant cost of living in NYC. You have retirees that are pushing the envelope in order to make ends meet. This seems to be pretty accurate because this list is definitely moving as slow as molasses. The best piece of advice that I have given myself is to make sure that my contact info is accurate and to totally forget about this position because the chances of landing it are very dim.

This is pretty much true. There is no, or ever was, a mass exodus from Track Dept. The only way to get the eligible senior guys to leave in large numbers would be some type of buyout or incentive. I've been in the Track Dept for many years and have never seen one offered. That said, the list will move as it always does. Be patient

I must say there is a lot of discouraging and mixed information in this forum... Info is all over the place... Best think is to forget about this list and keep your info updated... This forum should be used with facts and not guesses or opinions... Just my point of view..Happy holidays

I must say there is a lot of discouraging and mixed information in this forum... Info is all over the place... Best think is to forget about this list and keep your info updated... This forum should be used with facts and not guesses or opinions... Just my point of view..Happy holidays

If you want facts go back and read all my posts on this thread. I'm a Trackworker with over 22 years on the job. I usually chime in here to either correct someone or add my educated opinion on a specific topic. Btw, riello2u,with your list number you will be called. It's just a question of when...

If you want facts go back and read all my posts on this thread. I'm a Trackworker with over 22 years on the job. I usually chime in here to either correct someone or add my educated opinion on a specific topic. Btw, riello2u,with your list number you will be called. It's just a question of when...

Thank you.. Looking forward to that day

Looks like I will have to redo the drug test since I initially did it in September and from what I read it only last for 3 months.

Still got the booklet they gave me to update and fill out here as well. Hoping that call comes in January 

Most of us will from the looks of it now. I took my test on 9/28, either way doesn't bother me, I don't even drink so I have nothing to worry about. They can test me another 5 times on their dime. I'm pretty certain allot of people failed the drug test, just by the sheer amount of people they called in to take it. I think they got up to around 650-700 for the tests. I'm in the 485-495 range so hopefully I make the next batch for medical processing. Atleast we got the 21 page encyclopedia of our lives filled out. From looking at other employment threads, it looks like we'll get a letter for the second drug test, basically the same as the first one we got. I remember when I was down there on 9/28, they had another line for people taking a 2nd drug test, and there was a good 40+ people on that line.

@riello

Plenty of good information here, of course some of it won't be 100% accurate, but good luck if you're going to call 180 Livingston for any sort of inside information on when the next class is. I tried that twice and failed miserably. List is moving like molasses, and there's nothing we can do about it except be patient.