Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

Most of us will from the looks of it now. I took my test on 9/28, either way doesn't bother me, I don't even drink so I have nothing to worry about. They can test me another 5 times on their dime. I'm pretty certain allot of people failed the drug test, just by the sheer amount of people they called in to take it. I think they got up to around 650-700 for the tests. I'm in the 485-495 range so hopefully I make the next batch for medical processing. Atleast we got the 21 page encyclopedia of our lives filled out. From looking at other employment threads, it looks like we'll get a letter for the second drug test, basically the same as the first one we got. I remember when I was down there on 9/28, they had another line for people taking a 2nd drug test, and there was a good 40+ people on that line.

@riello

Plenty of good information here, of course some of it won't be 100% accurate, but good luck if you're going to call 180 Livingston for any sort of inside information on when the next class is. I tried that twice and failed miserably. List is moving like molasses, and there's nothing we can do about it except be patient.

Yeah I had to retake the drug test as well. The letter they sent said come in for final processing an medical, so was stoked. In the MTA fashion I waited at Livingston on the day I report ad was there for 8 hours just to do another drug test but was called to come down for final processing. So if it's a letter probably gonna be a drug test the phone call means final processing. Good luck everyone

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEED HELP!!!

I am list number 46*. I have not received anything about Medicals, interview. Nothing at all. I call there and they give me the run around. Somebody please help. I don't know why I haven't been sent anything. PLEASE HELP. I see they have sent out Medicals etc to number over 300 higher than me.

NEED HELP!!!

I am list number 46*. I have not received anything about Medicals, interview. Nothing at all. I call there and they give me the run around. Somebody please help. I don't know why I haven't been sent anything. PLEASE HELP. I see they have sent out Medicals etc to number over 300 higher than me.

First off relax.

If you called DCAS, the last number appointed in the last class was 415. They haven't got up to your number yet for medical. I took my drug test on 9/28, if you had any sort of problems. Lets say you failed the drug test or something else, you would've received a letter probably in October stating why you weren't considered. They've gotten to the 650-700 range for the drug test. My list number is in the 485-495 range, most of us will have to take a second drug test since the drug test results are only good for 90 days. Allot of people who made it into the last class had to take a second drug test. The last class they had started on 10/26, I think that class graduated 12/6.

Now I'm going to explain a few more things to you.

1. Number for DCAS is 1-212-669-1357

2. When you call DCAS, after you enter your SS and exam number information, it should tell you everything I said in regards to the last number appointed. It should also tell you that you are on the list for this exam, but NOT ON AN OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION.

3. Outstanding Certification means that the MTA has the list, and the ball is rolling to process the next group of people for the next class.

4. Not on an Outstanding Certification means, that the list was sent back to DCAS, because there is no class scheduled for the time being.

5. Calling 180 Livingston is useless, especially if you are looking for info for the next class. They will not tell you anything, even if they do know when the next class is going to take place. So yes they will give you the run around.

6. Expect a second letter, or a call ( probably the same letter as the first ), for a second drug test sometime this winter. Make sure your 21 page booklet is filled out, and good luck to you.

7. I'll explain another thing to you, 3 things get you DQ'd from MTA processing. Number 1 is a failed drug test. Number 2 is omitting any background history, particulary criminal. Number 3 is you were a former MTA employee who was fired or forced to resign. There is a member in this thread who was DQ'd because of his checkered history employed with MTA. I'm pretty certain they do a simple background check with the pre-employment process, before medical.  Which means lying about Felonies or Misdemeanors will get you canned before medical. I personally know 3 people who work for transit, 2 are convicted Felons. Aslong as you tell the truth, and the window from your last felony conviction is over 7+ years they will not hold it against you.

Misdemeanors I think it's 3-5 years. Now multiple convictions regardless of the time frame could also give you trouble. If you are uncertain of what I just told you, the MTA hired a former NYPD cop, who was a bank robber on the side. This guy did 5 years in prison, but also when he applied, his conviction was over 13 years old. Here's the article below for further clarification. This guy was convicted of Robbery 1, which is a B violent felony, and was hired. The two people I know with felonies, both have drug sale convictions, no where near as bad as a Robbery 1 conviction, and they were hired.

http://nypost.com/2011/12/05/heist-cop-hired-to-drive-bklyn-bus/

8. Welcome to the forums, there are allot of nice people in this thread, lots of good information as well. Not to come off as a dick, but next time read the thread, particulary the last 15-20 pages. It would've saved you from the panic attack you had. Anyway have a good day, the list is moving at a turtles pace, and aslong as your drug test and basic information is correct you have nothing to worry about. Just call that DCAS number I gave you every Sunday, since the list updates are weekly. Remember once it tells you that you are on an OUTSTANDING CERTIFICATION, it means the MTA has the list, and they are gearing up for the next class.

Edited by SteveNYC

Thank you for your very detailed outline of the process. However. You may have misunderstood me a bit. You have a higher list number and you took a drug test already. I have not. Isn't there an issue there. I should have been with you or before you. My list number is between 460-470. I haven't been notified about anything except my test score, which was years ago.

I just called the number a few minutes ago same story.

Last number certified is 775, that means nothing, the 775 is the amount of people who scored 100% or better on the test, you can check the list for yourself and see.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/thechiefleader.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/e/c1/ec18fc94-5d2b-11e4-a2c4-001a4bcf6878/544d1f94da9f7.pdf.pdf

Last number appointed was 415

Still not on an outstanding certification, so NYC11 you have nothing to worry about, this is the process with most city or state agenicies. It's called hurry up and wait. Hopefully after the new year they'll get the ball rolling for another class.

Thank you for your very detailed outline of the process. However. You may have misunderstood me a bit. You have a higher list number and you took a drug test already. I have not. Isn't there an issue there. I should have been with you or before you. My list number is between 460-470. I haven't been notified about anything except my test score, which was years ago.

Sorry about that, I didn't catch your post until now, I know you have to wait for the mods to approve your initial posts. Well if that's the case and you never received a letter. I would go down to 180 Livingston St if I were you. Unless you are lucky enough to have someone who will help you over the phone. You won't get a letter next week but, if you explain to them that you have never received a pre-employment letter, I'm sure they'll work something out.

See when you initially go down for the drug test, you have to give them the letter, and you have to write your phone number on top before you hand it in to HR. What that does is it works like an attendance sheet, along with the sheets you sign in when you arrive, and when you sign for the 21 page packet. So all they will have to do look and see you didn't hand a letter in, along with the sign in sheets. Tell them you spoke to someone who was in your list range number who took the drug test on 9/28, and that you never have received a letter for the pre-employment drug test.

Now is the time to do this. I'm pretty sure my second letter will be coming sometime this winter, since there are no classes scheduled at the moment. I'm going to give you some information below to help you out.

MTA HR

180 Livingston St

5th Floor

Brooklyn, NY,

Google Map link of the area

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/180+Livingston+St,+Brooklyn,+NY+11201,+USA/@40.6898952,-73.9892032,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c25a4c46aac0ed:0x6b089809a505767c

Depending on where you live, either the 2 or 3 train to Hoyt St, or the A to Hoyt Schermerhorn St.

Now when you get there you'll take the elevator to the 5th floor, and you'll make a left. You'll see a woman at the desk who is very nice. Explain everything to her, and if you have your test result letter, bring it. Just to clarify that you did take the test, and to make it a little easier. Be prepared to be there for awhile. I was there for a good 7 hours for the initial processing. Try to get there early like 6:30am. It's very easy for HR to give you the run around on the phone, but not so much face to face, and for the most part they are very nice. Just be polite and correct.

Remember tell them you spoke to a person who is in your list number range, who took the drug test on 9/28, and that you never recevied a pre-employment letter to take the drug test. I'm pretty sure they'll be able to figure out what went wrong. Most likely it was the mail, and it does happen. As I said do this now, you might get lucky and it might be pretty slow down there now as far as people getting processed. Good luck, post back here and let me know what's up.

Edited by SteveNYC

Also incase you don't have the test result letter, bring your license, SS card, and birth certificate, just to prove who you are while stating your situation. Again good luck, and I hope your issue gets resolved.

One more question as well. Did you call DCAS, and did it verify you were still on the list for exam 3600?

Edited by SteveNYC

Yes I am on the list when i call. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me, I will post back after I take care of this. Probably won't be until next week unfortunately, as I have to sort plans with current work. Hopefully all works out. And again, thank you, you're a rare breed of generous.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there SteveNYC, first and foremost Happy Holidays! to you and yours, secondly I'm curious as to what is your list # if U don't mind :)

I am in the very very low 1000 I think it may take me about 2 more yrs tho I get confused as to how long I can be on the wait list b4 my list# expires... I believe we have 4 yrs from the day we took test or the day the test results were posted? appreciate any info.. Thanks in advance...ttysoon..

I am in the very very low 1000 I think it may take me about 2 more yrs tho I get confused as to how long I can be on the wait list b4 my list# expires... I believe we have 4 yrs from the day we took test or the day the test results were posted? appreciate any info.. Thanks in advance...ttysoon..

F.Y.I., my list # is 28** (which is anywhere from 2800 to 2899, I just don't reveal the last two digits to hide my identity)

As far as when your list number expires...the 'general' rule of thumb is 4 years from when the test results were posted, also known as when the list was released/published. The list was published on October 22nd, 2014, so your list number will be good at least until October 22nd, 2018. The reason why I say "at least" is because they may extend the list for another year or two, depending on the situation.

Hey there SteveNYC, first and foremost Happy Holidays! to you and yours, secondly I'm curious as to what is your list # if U don't mind :)

Hey lulu:

Thank you very much for the kind wishes, I hope you had a nice holiday yourself. My list number is in the 485-495 range, but as far as your number range goes you will get called. Optimistically I would say within a year, but at the rate the classes are moving I would say possibly 14-18 months being the max, but they'll get to you, just a matter of when. They've already processed up to around 700 for the drug test, but like many others we will all be going for a second drug test when they start to gear up for the next class. I took my drug test on 9/28, and as of today the 90 days are up, as far as the max amount of time the result is good for. Even with the last class which started on 10/26, allot of people in that class had to take a second drug test, so it gives you an idea how slow it's going. Pretty much everything with Transit as far as processing is hurry up and wait.

Edited by SteveNYC

So I'm planning to become a track worker does anyone know if a good trade school/college to go to for that or if you have to take a tough exam?

You just have to take an exam, which was mostly reading comprehension, get a high score, which will lead to a low list number, pass the company training, and you should be good to go...

some things to keep in mind:

pay

$21.62 now, increasing 2% January 2016,  progressing(roughly 5% per year) to 100%"top pay"of $31.50 after 6years(not including possible future contract increases)

there are alot of deductions

keep in mind that if u signed up from everything at orientation u will net approx 50% of gross or more

for example,

• mandatory ded- nycers pension($50+ per check), union dues approx ($25+ per check), healthcare retiree deduction($30+ per check), disability($1+ per check), taxes/FICA($300+ per check)
  • optional ded-prudential 401k/457, Supplemental life insurance, Supplemental job disability, charity, political donations
  • Overtime- Canvas "signup", U WILL NOT BE GUARANTEED OT, it's highly inconsistent from work zone and seniority
  • Contract increase- the last increase will be 2% in January 16th for everyone including new hires. further increases beyond prog must be negotiated by union which will be after 2017
  • night differential- starts at 0.95 cents approx 10pm-6am(could start earlier not sure),Saturdays,Sundays, goes up with wage progression and contract increase
  • Direct Report- optional paid to travel to work location, instead of normal location, typical an 1hr per direction
  • Paid Lunch- optional  paid for 1/2 hr lunch if u exceed staying on the tracks or job site over a specific time.
  • specialty/dual rate- paid for job duties for which u bid into and then perform
  • pay sheet- what u sign for normal tour goes to payroll
  • attendance sheet -what u sign for ur time and attendance
  • deviation sheet-sheet for additional pay your entitled to , ie OT

The MTA, MTA IG, AND MTA SUPERVISORY AND MANAGERIAL EMPLOYEES and TWU watch this forum(s), be mindful of what u say.Employee or nonemployee

Undecided if i want to take a pay cut to leave surface to work in the subways and working 6 years for top,just not happening when im already locked up in tier 6. Im currently under 5 years top pay. I also have the 21 page booklet filled out (Oct. 5)but really unsure about the job. I want to join the track team but on the fleet division(surface) not in the tunnels. Lets see how this plays out.

Edited by BigBuckzz

Those guys that got picked out must have picked "x" or "temp" jobs those jobs are not solid

Upo were u able to get in capital nights? If so how do u like it?

Sorry for the late response, I'm in a rail gang working nights and it is awesome. I thought I was gonna hate nights, but turns out nights are way better than days, for me personally. I have a lot more time to spend with my kids so I love it. The work is heavy but fun I love manual labor coming from a contractors background this gig is great. You get to use some cool power tools and hand tools the guys are chill and work gets done. Hope you are happy where you are and te track is treating you well.

Some good news, DCAS update as of 1/17/2016. Currently on an outstanding certification, so looks like the MTA is getting the ball rolling for the next class. Expect letters, or calls for those of us that will have to go down for a second drug test.

Some good news, DCAS update as of 1/17/2016. Currently on an outstanding certification, so looks like the MTA is getting the ball rolling for the next class. Expect letters, or calls for those of us that will have to go down for a second drug test.

From my experience, probably a phone call, which is faster than mailing you another letter, depending on where you exactly live...

I also got my letter, this will be the second piss test i took for this position. Although ill probably be taking my name off this list for now since im already in the TA system as a provisional worker. Good luck to all. Ps. My list # in 32x range

Thanks for the tip man, but it looks like letters from what this person mentioned. But I'll be expecting either or in any case.