Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

I'm in the 1100 range and just keeping positive that my # will be called... Also hoping that this is extended past the 2017 expiration of exam 3600...Thry did for the previous one...

The exam list expires in 2018. 

Number 75x on the list, haven't received any letters or emails. Should I be concerned guys?! 

I wouldn't worry unless someone with a higher number says they've taken their drug test and you still haven't. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Number 75x on the list, haven't received any letters or emails. Should I be concerned guys?! 

Figs, you have a little ways to go. I was the first one appointed to the 3/28 class list number 485-490. The highest number I could see getting appointed into the upcoming class is the 530-540 range. It took them exactly a year to get to 500 people. The list is moving slow because people aren't in a rush to retire. I think you should make it into the second or 3rd class tops after mine. Could come sooner, could come later, all depends how many people fail the drug test or turn it down. You have guys here in the mid to high 600's that haven't taken their second drug test yet. And as rsk said, worry if someone 50 or 100 spots higher has taken their drug test, and you haven't yet. This forum has a decent mix of folks with varying list number ranges to go by.

It took them exactly a year to get to 500 people.

That's the same prediction I was making from reading this topic, from a mathematical prospective. If this is correct, then:

-In 2 years, they will call 1,000 people.

-In 3 years, they will call 1,500 people.

-In 4 years, they will call 2,000 people.

-etc (if the list gets extended)

Edited by YoungNYCSubwayFan

i believe they made it to the early 700's for the first drug test back in october. all the people who got 100 or better has taken thier drug test. my number is 580-590 and im waiting for my 2nd drug test. the class after this march class should reach in the 600 i think. now it should depend on when this following class is set up bc last year they only had 4 classes. feb,may and 2 in october. so all depends on that.

• 2 weeks later...

just recieved my letter for 2nd drug test. going in march 24th list#580-590

Make sure you fill out the pre-employment packet again, the paperwork, and the drug test are only good for 90 days. But it looks like they are gearing up for a class after 3/28. Hopefully for everyone else who is waiting, they'll keep the upcoming classes going at a decent pace. Anyway good luck man. I would say expect an email for final processing within the next 2-4 weeks after you've taken your second drug test. I waited roughly 3 weeks from the time I took my second test, until I received the email for final processing.

Hi everyone ,

I'm new to this forum. Just wondering what hours do trackworker work ? My list number is in the 1200's

I don't think there are any true set schedules. You work per the need of the Authority. However to my understanding new workers will probably be doing overnight and every holiday there is. Kiss those weekends goodbye.

However days off will be back to back and not staggered.

The majority or track workers either work 8am-4pm, 10pm-6am and midnight to 8am.

You might have an 11pm-7am shift in there along with a 4pm to midnight shift.

Many older guys prefer capital nights because of the steady over time.

Regular schedules in Capital nights are 10p-6a. In maintenance it's 10p-6a or 11p-7a. Days I'm not sure. Also you can get lucky with your mini picks right now because there is a ton of movement going around right now with retirees, promotions and the general pick coming up. It's safe to say that if ur mini pick is after April say in May ur pick will last for about a year.

I don't think there are any true set schedules. You work per the need of the Authority. However to my understanding new workers will probably be doing overnight and every holiday there is. Kiss those weekends goodbye.

However days off will be back to back and not staggered.

Thank you

The majority or track workers either work 8am-4pm, 10pm-6am and midnight to 8am.

Thanks for the quick response.

I looking forward to overtime $$$$$

Thanks

Regular schedules in Capital nights are 10p-6a. In maintenance it's 10p-6a or 11p-7a. Days I'm not sure. Also you can get lucky with your mini picks right now because there is a ton of movement going around right now with retirees, promotions and the general pick coming up. It's safe to say that if ur mini pick is after April say in May ur pick will last for about a year.

Hopefully this list moves fast so we can get to work

How do you get in to capital ? Would like to work so overtime and I heard there isn't much in maintenance.

When you get to do your mini pick into an x gang which is a temporary job until the next official pick, if the capital spot is available to you at that moment of your pick you pick it. But you guys shouldn't get too comfortable in capital because when the general pick comes along everyone with the least seniority gets the boot. Some guys may get lucky but for the majority least seniority gets pushed out. Especially now that OT in maintenance is tapering off. But there is OT everywhere and lots of ways to get extra pay but I'm not going to reveal all of our ways here. That in itself you will experience on the job. Also don't think OT in capital is by any means easy or that you want all of it and will work any available OT. I'm in Capital and it's not for the weak! OT is 16 hours straight of pure work especially for the rookies barely any breaks and will test you in every way you can imagine. This is like a fraternity, YOU WILL SUFFER BEFORE YOU ARE EMBRACED! Or even acknowledged for that matter! Lol. Good luck to all you new pineapples... Track term you'll be hearing a lot of. My best piece of advice is feel out the job, don't do anything you're not comfortable doing for the first time, ask questions, ask for help if you need it, always be safe and learn the job! Please don't come down here thinking you know something. Observe, absorb and learn. This job is repetitive so learn it and earn your respect. Good luck!

It all goes by seniority. 

The pick is a funny thing. When I first started the general atmosphere was all us new guys would be going nights at the general pick.

As long as I was in Track I always got a day job in capital. Even when I left Track thru a promotion I was able to pick a day job within 2 years in my new title.

You'll hear countless rumors but none matter till you step in that room and it's actually time to pick. 

Take your time and look at all the sheets. you never know what you may find.

They used to have a copy outside the pick room, all the pages spread out on the wall, and a guy would come out and scratch out the jobs no longer available. Not sure if they still do it.

When you get to do your mini pick into an x gang which is a temporary job until the next official pick, if the capital spot is available to you at that moment of your pick you pick it. But you guys shouldn't get too comfortable in capital because when the general pick comes along everyone with the least seniority gets the boot. Some guys may get lucky but for the majority least seniority gets pushed out. Especially now that OT in maintenance is tapering off. But there is OT everywhere and lots of ways to get extra pay but I'm not going to reveal all of our ways here. That in itself you will experience on the job. Also don't think OT in capital is by any means easy or that you want all of it and will work any available OT. I'm in Capital and it's not for the weak! OT is 16 hours straight of pure work especially for the rookies barely any breaks and will test you in every way you can imagine. This is like a fraternity, YOU WILL SUFFER BEFORE YOU ARE EMBRACED! Or even acknowledged for that matter! Lol. Good luck to all you new pineapples... Track term you'll be hearing a lot of. My best piece of advice is feel out the job, don't do anything you're not comfortable doing for the first time, ask questions, ask for help if you need it, always be safe and learn the job! Please don't come down here thinking you know something. Observe, absorb and learn. This job is repetitive so learn it and earn your respect. Good luck!

Thank you for all the info. I will def take your advice.

It all goes by seniority. 

The pick is a funny thing. When I first started the general atmosphere was all us new guys would be going nights at the general pick.

As long as I was in Track I always got a day job in capital. Even when I left Track thru a promotion I was able to pick a day job within 2 years in my new title.

You'll hear countless rumors but none matter till you step in that room and it's actually time to pick. 

Take your time and look at all the sheets. you never know what you may find.

They used to have a copy outside the pick room, all the pages spread out on the wall, and a guy would come out and scratch out the jobs no longer available. Not sure if they still do it.

Really looking forward to this job. Thanks for the info

I agree 100%....a few years ago, thanks to the NY Transit Museum, I was on a tour of one of the IRT shops/yards in the Bronx. While in the break room, I saw a sign of approved footwear for the Conductors, Train Operators and Train Service Supervisors, in which I briefly recorded the information. After doing some research, the only product the company makes to this date is this type.

In addition, a family friend of ours got me a pair of approved TA boots over 10 years ago. Although the manufacturer, Lehigh Safey Shoes doesn't make them anymore, I did some research to find a pair or two which, in my opinion, are the most similar to these. After briefly looking through over 400 different kinds, the ones that I felt were most similar can be viewed at http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/dickies-challenger-steel-toe-waterproof-boot/DW7525.html?dwvar_DW7525_color=01 and http://www.lehighsafetyshoes.com/mens-safety-shoes/knapp-backhoe-steel-toe-work-boot/KN5025.html?dwvar_KN5025_color=01.

Now since I have received about 3 different pair of boots from the family friend, I just want to emphasize some of the things, which, in my opinion, that they will look for immediately (in addition to the other specifications):

a) The boot has to be either 99% or 100% all black. The pair I got over 10 years ago is 100% all black with the exception of the yellow and white Lehigh Safety Shoes logo on the tongue, respectively.

b) The boots have to be steel toe.

I did a brief search for "Red Wings Boots," and if you do purchase one of those, you'll just be wasting your money.

Feedback? Thanks in advance...

If you find that you have difficulty wearing the NYCT issued boots then you must have the Alternate Boot form completed by a podiatrist. You are allowed two boots which Transit will reimburse you fo= the boots. (amount to be reimbursed is determined by brand you purchased). Boòts ordered must be on separate receipts for reimburse to occur anywhere from a few weeks to month). Boots don't have to be black. I ordered two of Timberland Pros with composite toe in brown and they were approved