Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

Any updates guys.... Seems like people get hired and disappear from the forum

Disappear ? I'll tell you what, if and when you get down here you'll see how busy you're going to be. Are you expecting a day by day account of what life is like on the tracks ? Again, you'll find out when you get here, we all found out certain realities on our own when we got down here. As far as how the hiring process goes, read the thread, it hasn't changed since they called number 1 off of the list. And there are a handful of people who drop in from time to time to contribute such as myself.

Read the thread

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez Steve, tell the man how you REALLY feel! ????????

Its too early in your career to be jaded lol

Riello, there is never really an announcement of guys retiring. You kinda just hear it through the transit grapevine (these guys are worse than wash-women!!)

And by the way, everyone with more time than you is gonna talk to you like shit for a while, dont take it personally hahaha

Edited by Moose

Jeez Steve, tell the man how you REALLY feel!

Riello, there is never really an announcement of guys retiring. You kinda just hear it through the transit grapevine (these guys are worse than wash-women!!)

And by the way, everyone with more time than you is gonna talk to you like shit for a while, dont take it personally hahaha

Jeez Steve, tell the man how you REALLY feel!

Lol...Sounds good... Yeah steve chill...lol

Well I definitely have to overcome two obstacles. First, when asked about ever being in the hospital I was truthful and admitted that I was in a rehab for substance abuse a few years ago. ( I do not use now and passed two tests so far and will pass any given.) I have an appointment for Friday to see their EAP counselors. Second, I came up a few percentage points low on the lung capacity test. I was surprised since I am an athlete, in good shape and very active. The said I may need to see a cardiologist but when they called me to make the EAP appt, they said it is not necessary. If anyone has some insight on what all this means it would be greatly appreciated.

They just want to clear you medically first before sending you out. They are very big on drugs and alcohol use and getting jammed up while in probation for either is dismissal. 

If they say your lungs are fine, then no need to worry about it. 

I was restored to the list in late June; my list number is within the first fifty (50). Could one of you tell me if it has been confirmed that there will be a class in September. I have been reading previous posts and noticed someone mentioned 9-19 for a scheduled class. Is this date confirmed? And if so, is it possible that it may be full already? Thank you.

Hey to all. I've been following ever since I took the exam and I wanted to thank everyone who contributed any information while everyone waits to be called. I just wanted to clarify a few things:

1) I'm list #14xx, so I'm not expecting anything for at least another year. When I called DCAS they said I'm on "outstanding certification". This means my info has been sent to the MTA correct?

2) And when I am called to fill out the packet, they will send me a physical letter stating when to come in, correct? The email is for when you're being sworn in?

Thanks for taking the time and good day and good luck to all of us

Hey to all. I've been following ever since I took the exam and I wanted to thank everyone who contributed any information while everyone waits to be called. I just wanted to clarify a few things:

1) I'm list #14xx, so I'm not expecting anything for at least another year. When I called DCAS they said I'm on "outstanding certification". This means my info has been sent to the MTA correct?

2) And when I am called to fill out the packet, they will send me a physical letter stating when to come in, correct? The email is for when you're being sworn in?

Thanks for taking the time and good day and good luck to all of us

To answer your first question "yes" MTA has all of the currently certified candidates information.

To answer your second question, the letter you will receive will be to come in for the drug test. Once you're at Livingston you'll get your 21 page CPD-B packet to fill out to bring back when you come in for final processing. The e-mail is for medical and final processing, as long as you don't get jammed up with a medical hold you will be sworn in shortly after medical, and receive all of the books you need for school, fill out some more paperwork, get fingerprinted, and get your photo taken for your Metrocard PASS.

Edited by SteveNYC

I was restored to the list in late June; my list number is within the first fifty (50). Could one of you tell me if it has been confirmed that there will be a class in September. I have been reading previous posts and noticed someone mentioned 9-19 for a scheduled class. Is this date confirmed? And if so, is it possible that it may be full already? Thank you.

Yes there is a 9/19 class - I'm in it. Not sure if it's full - I got in a few weeks back so it's possible. Did they contact you to come in for the medical yet?

Yes there is a 9/19 class - I'm in it. Not sure if it's full - I got in a few weeks back so it's possible. Did they contact you to come in for the medical yet?

Thanks for the reply Daveyboy. No, they have not contacted me as of yet. I called in and I recognized the girls voice at the front desk; she said that they would not contact me so far from the date of the class; this was last week. When I saw that they placed someone in the class already, I figured they must be doing it a different way, because in the past (I have been restored twice) they contacted me within 30 days of the class. I do not want to get overzealous, but I do not want to miss out on the class either. Who at the front desk provides the most accurate information, do you know? I will keep trying Ruby, but I get voicemail?

Hey. Just found out today that the September class is full. So, good luck and I hope to be on the job at the next class, whenever that is. Keep us posted if or when you find out when the next class after September is scheduled for. Thanks...

Is the September class absolutely positively full? I was placed on medical hold July 15th and after going back and forth between like 5 doctors just got my clearance note which I am waking up bright and early to get in tomorrow. I know someone who is a few number past my list number and is confirmed for the September class. Do they possibly hold some spots open? Or are they just saying full because they know they have enough processed medicals to fill the class but have not informed everyone to be in it? Its over a month until the class, that would be absolutely awful if I got skipped over so early.

Is the September class absolutely positively full? I was placed on medical hold July 15th and after going back and forth between like 5 doctors just got my clearance note which I am waking up bright and early to get in tomorrow. I know someone who is a few number past my list number and is confirmed for the September class. Do they possibly hold some spots open? Or are they just saying full because they know they have enough processed medicals to fill the class but have not informed everyone to be in it? Its over a month until the class, that would be absolutely awful if I got skipped over so early.

They do not hold spots, if you go on hold, your spots gets taken and the list goes on.

Once you get clearance and come back then whatever class is next you will then go to that class. 

Look at it this way, you will be the most senior person in your class when you do go to school. 

Sigh, unbelievable. I've heard people talk on this forum about finding out they are going in to "so and so" class a week before it starts. But this class that I was supposed to be in, gets filled over a month before it starts. And this was the 5th class this year right? Previous years have had 4 classes per year. This will almost surely be the last class of this year. And who knows how far in to 2017 for the next class. But oh yeah, I really look forward to being the most senior person in the next class......

Per Ruby Robinson, the September class has been filled since July. She stated that she doesn't know when the next class is scheduled for, but I do question, at times, whether she likes to share pertinent information. That being said, I will place additional calls to the front desk to obtain confirmation and inquire if a scheduled class date in January is probable. It was January of 2015 when I first received the letter to come in. I am optimistic because of a post that stated transit is targeting the hiring of 2000 or so track-workers, so a class within the next four months sounds reasonable. Hopefully @AspringTrckWorker, it will work out sooner for you/us. Thanks, Post Soon...

I saw somewhere on this thread someone stating that by federal law the MTA has to have 2000 track workers hired. Are you sure you are not getting this mixed up? If not, can you please provide the source of this information

That is what I am referring to

I think right now we have somewhere around 1800-1850 trackworkers, including fresh out of school.

The potentials that went for piss tests within the first two weeks of july...the 79x's....has anyone gotten the email calling back for final medical screening yet? Asking for a buddy...

Edited by Moose

Sigh, unbelievable. I've heard people talk on this forum about finding out they are going in to "so and so" class a week before it starts. But this class that I was supposed to be in, gets filled over a month before it starts. And this was the 5th class this year right? Previous years have had 4 classes per year. This will almost surely be the last class of this year. And who knows how far in to 2017 for the next class. But oh yeah, I really look forward to being the most senior person in the next class......

It's still possible you could be added to the next class so straighten out your medical hold and see what happens. If not you'll be first in your class for the next one (which is a good thing). You're going to get hired, stop whining...

I saw somewhere on this thread someone stating that by federal law the MTA has to have 2000 track workers hired. Are you sure you are not getting this mixed up? If not, can you please provide the source of this information?

This has been hearsay for years. Cant say if it's true or not