Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

12 minutes ago, Xkramz said:

The only thing that's bringing me pain is the met guard hitting the top of my feet and bruising it. I tried  loose, tight, my other pair felt better which brings me to believe there's some quality issues between  every single shoe  or an isolated issue with my both pairs. 

With thst said  hopefully when the met guard ease up it'll bring me comfort. In the meantime I would have to deal with it cause I can't miss the training and stuff 

You're not the only one, I know people who've broken them in, used inserts, and anything possible to make the boots bearable, and still they have issues. The boots suck period. Especially in Capital on Dig Outs, and Ekki Hilti overtime jobs, or if you're a Wetsaw Operator, it doesn't take much for them to fall apart. Even with the Slotter my fav tool, the splash from the sparks will slowly degrade the leather even with a good stance. I went through 3 pairs in a year of hard use. I'm on my 4th now and so far I've been lucky. The last pair the stitching completely stripped of the side of my right boot. In normal walking conditions a pair will last a year, heavy use no way. Even Timberland Pros 10 years ago, were a hell of allot better in quality than the ones out today.

EDIT: Also you'll see guys with boots beaten to death with almost no soles or heels left. Don't get hurt in those if you want any sort of compensation. You'll be told your boots should have been taken out of service. They look for any avenue they can not to pay you.

Edited by SteveNYC

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Xkramz said:

The only thing that's bringing me pain is the met guard hitting the top of my feet and bruising it. I tried  loose, tight, my other pair felt better which brings me to believe there's some quality issues between  every single shoe  or an isolated issue with my both pairs. 

With thst said  hopefully when the met guard ease up it'll bring me comfort. In the meantime I would have to deal with it cause I can't miss the training and stuff 

If it's hurting the top of your foot get new boots.

Along the top of the foot are the metatarsal bones.  The long finger like ones that go to your toes. If the nerves along those bones become inflamed from pressure you feel it under your foot on the ball.  It's like walking on glass and hard to correct even with surgery. 

It's what I'm dealing with now. One Dr. called it Metatarsalgia another calls it Mortons Neuroma.

7 minutes ago, SteveNYC said:

You're not the only one, I know people who've broken them in, used inserts, and anything possible to make the boots bearable, and still they have issues. The boots suck period. Especially in Capital on Dig Outs, and Ekki Hilti overtime jobs, or if you're a Wetsaw Operator, it doesn't take much for them to fall apart. Even with the Slotter my fav tool, the splash from the sparks will slowly degrade the leather even with a good stance. I went through 3 pairs in a year of hard use. I'm on my 4th now and so far I've been lucky. The last pair the stitching completely stripped of the side of my right boot. In normal walking conditions a pair will last a year, heavy use no way. Even Timberland Pros 10 years ago, were a hell of allot better in quality than the ones out today.

EDIT: Also you'll see guys with boots beaten to death with almost no soles or heels left. Don't get hurt in those if you want any sort of compensation. You'll be told your boots should have been taken out of service. They look for any avenue they can not to pay you.

Back in '98 when we worked live and everything was stripped out in advance Tommy Destafano fell onto the 3rd Rail.

He was electrocuted and died. 

First thing Transit did was check his Boots (the ones on his feet at the time) and have his locker opened to see if his second pair was there. When they could not find them and realized he was on his 2nd pair they still fought the law suit. 

It took over 10 years to settle. 

7 minutes ago, dp142 said:

Back in '98 when we worked live and everything was stripped out in advance Tommy Destafano fell onto the 3rd Rail.

He was electrocuted and died. 

First thing Transit did was check his Boots (the ones on his feet at the time) and have his locker opened to see if his second pair was there. When they could not find them and realized he was on his 2nd pair they still fought the law suit. 

It took over 10 years to settle. 

I've heard that story a few times in CN from guys with over 20 years in Track. I know they're still dragging the Boggs lawsuit out. That's usually what happens when you have 100 lawyers versus 1. It's sad that they treat employees that way, but a customer can be drunk, crack his head open and get 600k in no time for it.

Edited by SteveNYC

15 minutes ago, dp142 said:

If it's hurting the top of your foot get new boots.

Along the top of the foot are the metatarsal bones.  The long finger like ones that go to your toes. If the nerves along those bones become inflamed from pressure you feel it under your foot on the ball.  It's like walking on glass and hard to correct even with surgery. 

It's what I'm dealing with now. One Dr. called it Metatarsalgia another calls it Mortons Neuroma.

Thanks for the fast reply. I definitely do not have pain on the ball of my foot, actually that's very comfortable with The boots,     The pain and swelling im dealing with ( not sure the medical term of that location)  is  at the very end of my legs right before it curves to the top of my feet   

1 hour ago, SteveNYC said:

I've heard that story a few times in CN from guys with over 20 years in Track. I know they're still dragging the Boggs lawsuit out. That's usually what happens when you have 100 lawyers versus 1. It's sad that they treat employees that way, but a customer can be drunk, crack his head open and get 600k in no time for it.

That's the truth!

I came in with Boggs.

The way we worked in the 90's was unreal compared to now. 

Edited by dp142

1 hour ago, Xkramz said:

Thanks for the fast reply. I definitely do not have pain on the ball of my foot, actually that's very comfortable with The boots,     The pain and swelling im dealing with ( not sure the medical term of that location)  is  at the very end of my legs right before it curves to the top of my feet   

Wherever it hurts if the boots aren't comfortable get new ones. The link to the Union's website in my previous post has the requirements that boots bought yourself must meet.

The only thing that was broken in where my feet not the boots, LOL

27 minutes ago, dp142 said:

That's the truth!

I came in with Boggs.

They we worked in the 90's was unreal compared to now. 

We just finished a 600ft Brokk job at 59th on the 1 line on 4 track 2 weeks ago. Allot of us got to see the Boggs memorial plaque on 2 track just outside of the north end of the station.

6 minutes ago, SteveNYC said:

We just finished a 600ft Brokk job at 59th on the 1 line on 4 track 2 weeks ago. Allot of us got to see the Boggs memorial plaque on 2 track just outside of the north end of the station.

That was a sad time.

Goes to show what can happen when departments don't work together (meaning RTO & MOW) and managers (Supt's and higher) won't spend the money that could help everyone involved become safer and more productive. 

4 minutes ago, dp142 said:

That was a sad time.

Goes to show what can happen when departments don't work together (meaning RTO & MOW) and managers (Supt's and higher) won't spend the money that could help everyone involved become safer and more productive. 

Its dangerous over there regardless, it's a very long curve area, station included, with everything being open columns. Even with full flagging on 1 track adjacents on 2, you still have trains flying by on 3, and roaring into the station on 4. You have to keep your head on a swivel over there. I'm starting my 3rd year in March, and everything is still micro managed. You have good supervision, but also very incompetent. The good Level 1's and 2's allot of them are on their way out in the next 1-3 years in CN.

Great example of a flawed system. The 3rd rail Foreman who blew up a Slotter on a live 3rd rail at 96th on the 1 line last year, and almost blew up 100 guys in the process still has his job and still is a Level 1 at Hoyt St in the office. We literally were waiting for power off and secure, and about to go down when it happened. I still don't know how he didn't kill himself. Luck is an understatement.

3 hours ago, SteveNYC said:

Its dangerous over there regardless, it's a very long curve area, station included, with everything being open columns. Even with full flagging on 1 track adjacents on 2, you still have trains flying by on 3, and roaring into the station on 4. You have to keep your head on a swivel over there. I'm starting my 3rd year in March, and everything is still micro managed. You have good supervision, but also very incompetent. The good Level 1's and 2's allot of them are on their way out in the next 1-3 years in CN.

Great example of a flawed system. The 3rd rail Foreman who blew up a Slotter on a live 3rd rail at 96th on the 1 line last year, and almost blew up 100 guys in the process still has his job and still is a Level 1 at Hoyt St in the office. We literally were waiting for power off and secure, and about to go down when it happened. I still don't know how he didn't kill himself. Luck is an understatement.

when he first got made a foreman back in 96 one superintendent wanted to bust him down immediately after he screwed up big-time. He was saved and eventually kiss enough gas to make superintendent until he got busted down to a foreman at the back of the list 2 years later.

So as not to lose focus of the thread feel free to message me privately to talk shop

So I went down to Livingston Street earlier this morning. After waiting in line inquiring to check my status, with my list number in the 2800's, they gave me a business card with Ms. Robinson's phone number (347-643-8198) and that was it. I even asked when she was going to be in to try to talk to her in person, and they were unsure about that.

Therefore, the waiting continues, since they also reminded me that I can hear back from them anywhere from 3 to 90 calendar days...

18 minutes ago, +Young+ said:

So I went down to Livingston Street earlier this morning. After waiting in line inquiring to check my status, with my list number in the 2800's, they gave me a business card with Ms. Robinson's phone number (347-643-8198) and that was it. I even asked when she was going to be in to try to talk to her in person, and they were unsure about that.

Therefore, the waiting continues, since they also reminded me that I can hear back from them anywhere from 3 to 90 calendar days...

I just called Robinson to find out what the deal was since my Sept. 28th visit ended up with me being told to wait for another letter in a month or so. It's been over 2 months.

I called Robinson. She's as nasty as can be. After explaining myself she asks my list number which is 28xx. She says they're up to 21xx. I tried to ask what I'm supposed to do and why was a letter sent to me if I'm 700 numbers ahead and she says "You have a nice day" and hangs up. How can someone this rude work in hr I don't get it. Anyway I've been calling her back and the 29/30/31/32 numbers rotationally pointlessly with no answer.

Should I go down there and see what they tell me in person or is that a waste of time?

I'm honestly beginning to have second doubts about pursuing this. If this is how they treat you hiring wise, I can imagine how you're treated when employed. Especially with such a hazardous job. I have a good job, maybe not as stable with not as many benefits But no have my pros that mta can't give me. Pretty disappointed as of now.

56 minutes ago, volchik696 said:

I just called Robinson to find out what the deal was since my Sept. 28th visit ended up with me being told to wait for another letter in a month or so. It's been over 2 months.

I called Robinson. She's as nasty as can be. After explaining myself she asks my list number which is 28xx. She says they're up to 21xx. I tried to ask what I'm supposed to do and why was a letter sent to me if I'm 700 numbers ahead and she says "You have a nice day" and hangs up. How can someone this rude work in hr I don't get it. Anyway I've been calling her back and the 29/30/31/32 numbers rotationally pointlessly with no answer.

Should I go down there and see what they tell me in person or is that a waste of time?

I'm honestly beginning to have second doubts about pursuing this. If this is how they treat you hiring wise, I can imagine how you're treated when employed. Especially with such a hazardous job. I have a good job, maybe not as stable with not as many benefits But no have my pros that mta can't give me. Pretty disappointed as of now.

You gotta understand,  the amount of paper work and organization they gotta deal with is crazy they take care of new hires and current employers. If you didn't know, MTA is VERY VERY old school,. Everything is by paper. Surprisingly the medical questionnaire  is on s pc lol. Just know  Some work straight and don't take Lunch so It's a stressful environment , and yes they are rude but don't give up and don't let it get to you. Be persistent but keep your cool. 

55 minutes ago, Xkramz said:

You gotta understand,  the amount of paper work and organization they gotta deal with is crazy they take care of new hires and current employers. If you didn't know, MTA is VERY VERY old school,. Everything is by paper. Surprisingly the medical questionnaire  is on s pc lol. Just know  Some work straight and don't take Lunch so It's a stressful environment , and yes they are rude but don't give up and don't let it get to you. Be persistent but keep your cool. 

I hear you but it's not an excuse to be unprofessional and unhelpful. Not like I was hounding her or being impolite. Giving information is her job. If she doesn't like it she can quit.

I deal with the same level of stress as her day in and day out. But I keep my professionalism even when dealing with stressful people or situations. I don't get rude just cause I'm stressed. Especially when there is legitimacy in my or someone's elses stress. But thank you for the word of support. Cheers

6 hours ago, volchik696 said:

Volchik696, don't lose hope.  The job/training so far is great compared to the agency at 180 Livingston.  That's considered "management."  They are a completely separate entity than the actual job itself.  You don't have to see them once you are hired.  Only when you have to do some sort of paperwork When you get hired.  Just be a little more patient.  There is a guy in my class (list #4xx) who should have been hired last year.  We all have to deal with that shithole aka 180 Livingston.

I'm in the Nov. 27th class. We're doing a double shift tomorrow from 7am - 11pm for fire & evac training and vac? training....I'm hoping to be go to a gang on the L or J/M lines.   Do any of you seasoned gerryswingers have any recommendations on whether I should avoid these gangs for any reason?

2 minutes ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

I'm in the Nov. 27th class. We're doing a double shift tomorrow from 7am - 11pm for fire & evac training and vac? training....I'm hoping to be go to a gang on the L or J/M lines.   Do any of you seasoned gerryswingers have any recommendations on whether I should avoid these gangs for any reason?

I'll give some of you guys a heads up, I'm not in maintenance never was, I'm in CN. One place that allot of people know of in maintenance to avoid is Utica Ave on the A line in Brooklyn. I don't know the specifics, but people who go there bid out as fast as they can. Every bid sheet that came out this past year there was 6+ spots open at this quarters. Seems to be the norm.

34 minutes ago, Aahhhwoooooo said:

Volchik696, don't lose hope.  The job/training so far is great compared to the agency at 180 Livingston.  That's considered "management."  They are a completely separate entity than the actual job itself.  You don't have to see them once you are hired.  Only when you have to do some sort of paperwork When you get hired.  Just be a little more patient.  There is a guy in my class (list #4xx) who should have been hired last year.  We all have to deal with that shithole aka 180 Livingston.

So after calling all day I finally got through to one of Robinson's managers Ms.Riviera who was as sweet as cherry pie.

She explained they're up to list number 2121. Add to that reinstated numbers and I basically may wait a while with list 28xx. Still didn't understand though why the first letter was sent then at all.

They really should do a spring cleaning there and get rid of all the Robinson types who add to stress rather than relieve it and I'm sure it'll get better. Wish i had a general eta. Thanks for the support ahwooo.

Just wondering what was your hiring experience like? Taken exam, score, wait period, hiring process? I took my track exam 7 years ago with 96 score.

10 hours ago, volchik696 said:

If you have one of the original letters they sent to you back in late September, I would say yes. If not, you're probably out of luck. The letter that I got in late September was "gold" to me as far as being able to take a drug test back on Election Day (aka November 7th).

2 hours ago, volchik696 said:

So after calling all day I finally got through to one of Robinson's managers Ms.Riviera who was as sweet as cherry pie.

She explained they're up to list number 2121. Add to that reinstated numbers and I basically may wait a while with list 28xx. Still didn't understand though why the first letter was sent then at all.

They really should do a spring cleaning there and get rid of all the Robinson types who add to stress rather than relieve it and I'm sure it'll get better. Wish i had a general eta. Thanks for the support ahwooo.

Just wondering what was your hiring experience like? Taken exam, score, wait period, hiring process? I took my track exam 7 years ago with 96 score.

Thanks for the invaluable information. As far as the answer to your question, click here (if the link breaks, it is post # 2512 on page 101).

11 hours ago, +Young+ said:

3 hours ago, volchik696 said:

I waited 7 months and took several drug test while I waited for the list to go from 990-1000. 

You guys are 700 numbers away from the last hire. What exactly are you expecting to happen? Bottom line is you have to wait. 

On 11/12/2017 at 5:06 PM, VA Slim said:

scoop11211 

We take some test but they dont matter

The instructor said the only test that matter is the one u take at flagging school

He said that u have 2 pass that test or u have to do the class over

Because u cant work without having ur flaggibg certification

Did he menion what you do and what the test is about or if you could be kicked out for failing?

51 minutes ago, rskbreaker said:

I waited 7 months and took several drug test while I waited for the list to go from 990-1000. 

You guys are 700 numbers away from the last hire. What exactly are you expecting to happen? Bottom line is you have to wait. 

I know I have to wait, however what I'm expecting to happen is for the HR Department to "get their act together" and try to keep it together as far as losing people's paperwork, "screen" errors, clerical errors, communicating with each other, the physician's misdiagnosing certain medical conditions, etc., especially with the "false" letters that most of us got in late September, and when we were expecting to take a drug test, we not only got turned away, but also were told to go back to DCAS to restore our name to the list for an error that was not our fault. Gees...

That's what I'm personally expecting to happen. If not, then, IMHO, incoming President Andy Byford should definitely get involved.

2 minutes ago, moussaberte said:

How is the class how hard is the test? Can you be kicked out if you fail?

Please stop bumping the thread/topic...just be patient and someone will reply shortly with an accurate response...

Edited by +Young+