Track Worker 3600 Hiring Process

TheBigLD
Message added by +Young+

Last know called # (322x)

The list for the next open-competitive track worker examination, Exam #8600, has been published.

Please see the Track Worker Exam #8600 topic for more information.

11 minutes ago, Queensqueens111 said:

I’m in the 2650s so hopefully I’ll get a letter this week too and the botched drug test dates in the September don’t hold me back.

I went first time back in September  I was turned away along with 4 other people. Hopefully Friday goes well. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, +Young+ said:

I'm in the 2800's and all I have to say is think positive...keep in mind that, although there are about 900 people between what they're up to and your list number, not everyone is going to show up, not everyone is going to pass the drug test, not everyone is going to pass the medical exam, etc.

Thanks to Facebook, I know someone in the 1100's who was hired this past July, which means that they have went through about 650 people between then and now. Therefore, just be patient.

Also, as of this website, if you type "03600" in the search box on the top-right, and you put the list numbers in descending order, the list number of the last person certified is 4595. That should say something itself.

Thanks for the link to the open data site. This is really great. I found my name and relevant info on it. I'm just not understanding what these numbers mean. The certification numbers and what not. If you can elaborate on their meaning I would really appreciate it. Thank you

1 hour ago, ebenz1 said:

could anyone who has been through the orientation and initial training  phase share on what it's like ? 

excited to get my boots and hardhat lol

What exactly would you like to know?

29 minutes ago, volchik696 said:

Thanks for the link to the open data site. This is really great. I found my name and relevant info on it. I'm just not understanding what these numbers mean. The certification numbers and what not. If you can elaborate on their meaning I would really appreciate it. Thank you

Click here. Scroll down to "columns in this dataset", and click on "Show All (21)".

3 minutes ago, G13 said:

What exactly would you like to know?

What I would like to know is what the classroom training is like. Are there any exams? If so, are they hard? What's passing? What do you have to study?

Edited by +Young+

“What I would like to know is what the classroom training is like. Are there any exams? If so, are they hard? What's passing? What do you have to study?”

Well the hiring rush was both a good thing and a bad thing. Good that we got into MTA, bad in the fact that the classes are packed. Due to class size, the training isn’t the standard fare anymore. Class sizes have doubled and tripled.

You'll still get the standard materials, and go over basics. As far as testing, there’s no official “you must pass” test. You do have to be trained in flagging later on down the line and that’s something you must pass.

2 minutes ago, ebenz1 said:

just the overall experience 

I enjoyed it. I’m someone who reads the manuals and what not on free time though, so your mileage may vary. Lots of videos and speeches, but great info.

12 minutes ago, G13 said:

You do have to be trained in flagging later on down the line and that’s something you must pass.

Got it. Even for flagging, do you have to get a 100% to pass? Or is the passing score a 70% or something to that nature?

12 minutes ago, Queensqueens111 said:

Guessing you only get one chance at passing it? Give a little run down on what flagging consists of?

Nothing complicated (if you pay attention). Gotta show you know how to set up a configuration according to the situation. When you get your books, there’s a whole chapter dedicated to it. They place emphasis on it cause it’s a very important job. 

1 hour ago, Queensqueens111 said:

Give a little run down on what flagging consists of?

Flagging consists of where to properly place either a light or a flag along the "Right-of-Way" to communicate to the Train Operator when to slow down and when to resume normal speed. Here's an example:

Say for example you're working on the (7) line, primarily on the Corona Yard access switch tracks just North of the 111th Street station (click here for a map). How far South from the job site would you go to place the first yellow light or flag? How far North would you go to place the green light or flag?

Now for those of us that normally use the (7) on a daily basis, we know that there is a small curve in between 103rd Street & 111th Street. (if you're unsure, click here and watch the first 45 seconds). With this curve in mind, how much further back would you go to place the first light or flag to tell the Train Operator to slow down?

Similarly, if you watch this video, you'll notice one thing, besides the Train of Many Colors pulling out of the yard: Yellow Flags!! Why? Because if you pay attention during the first half, you'll see Track Workers working on the tracks, respectively. In addition, if you pay attention during the second half, you'll see several flags along the "flyover", which is the track connecting the yard to the (1) line. Why so many? Probably because the Train Operator's visibility is not that great, especially when going into the yard and down the curve, respectfully.

Finally, if you watch this video, towards the end, you'll see two red lights and two Portable Train Stops. Why? They were probably doing Track Work along the Southbound Lexington Avenue local track, which the Shuttle track eventually leads to (click here if you don't believe me).

5 hours ago, Queensqueens111 said:

What in 2600s are you if you don’t mind me asking? Did you have to add yourself back to the list at dcas?

2690's I wasted my time down at 1 centre st  and I was told I'm still on the list just to keep an eye out for any mail from mta .