Few questions about NYCTA trains and stuff

8attlet0ads

always had these questions in my mind: have you personally ever seen a nyc train overshoot a station? does this happen often?

2. why dont we ever hear about train derailments and crashes? i'm pretty sure it happens, ive only seen like one news report on youtube of a nyc train derailment

3.how the hell do the trains brake so damn fast??? this is similar to my first questions, I dont know how these trains never overshoot the stations!!

and yeah I guess thats all I gotta ask for now

• 2 weeks later...

2. why dont we ever hear about train derailments and crashes? i'm pretty sure it happens, ive only seen like one news report on youtube of a nyc train derailment

it doesnt happen often

always had these questions in my mind: have you personally ever seen a nyc train overshoot a station? does this happen often?

Nope. Not a common thing at all, because if they overshoot they'll trip the red signal and it will stop anyway. So the T/Os are careful to not overshoot.

They don't happen often. For the amount of trains and miles of track, the NYC Subway has a very good track record (no pun there, serious) when it comes to safety (at least in recent years). The last major crash that I know of was in 1995.

3.how the hell do the trains brake so damn fast??? this is similar to my first questions, I dont know how these trains never overshoot the stations!!

They have several hundred feet of station to brake in. And they decelerate all the way there. So its not as short of a space as it seems.

Nope. Not a common thing at all, because if they overshoot they'll trip the red signal and it will stop anyway. So the T/Os are careful to not overshoot.

Actually, the signals at the end of the station aren't always red. Most places, they aren't, in fact. (It's pretty much only at heavily used switches where the lineup has to be established).

The safeguard in that case is supposed to be the conductor pulling the cord.

Yea, I seen a 68A overshoot a station a few years ago, a rookie T/O was operating and the first set of doors went past the platform, the Veteran T/O stepped out of the cab to make sure no one got off there and fell on the roadbed lol.

I also been on a (N) train that crashed into a tree on the Sea Beach a while back, the train got disabled and they had to send a rescue train to take us to the next station.

Archived