Rally to restore all service on the Bx26 & Bx28 in Co-op City

mark1447

Yeah, I figured you'd say that. Why can't people just mind their own business?

Because there have been many reasonable, informative discussions that have descended into page after page of you two arguing over things nobody understands the relevance of anymore. It's derailed (and ultimately locked) many a thread.

Now after a couple of days and cooler heads prevail let us ladies and gents start again on a fairly important topic. Please let us reply to this thread in a mature manner and respect disagreements. If not this topic will be put away for good, Thank You

Is this the first time a thread has been re-opended. Thank's Shortline.

Because there have been many reasonable, informative discussions that have descended into page after page of you two arguing over things nobody understands the relevance of anymore. It's derailed (and ultimately locked) many a thread.

No it hasn't. I can probably count on one hand how many times it's happened, and they were all somebody trying to be heroic acting like he's prevented a flame war and locking the thread. None of those turned into flame wars and I'm tired of people acting like it did. You can look in the shoutbox to see more of an explanation.

I really didn't want to start off a re-opened thread like this, but I just wanted to put that out there. I don't want to hear anymore of those smart-aleck comments about "Oh, here we go again", because these things haven't turned into "flame wars that locked many threads", so just drop it (and this goes for everybody who makes those types of comments).

Now after a couple of days and cooler heads prevail let us ladies and gents start again on a fairly important topic. Please let us reply to this thread in a mature manner and respect disagreements. If not this topic will be put away for good, Thank You

...and that's exactly what was going on in the first place.

On that note, let's return to the topic at hand.

MTA could just go with either one of these three plans to change Co Op City service. Bay Plaza service is eliminated on the Bx38.

Plan 1

Rush hours

Bx25 - Section 4/5 (peak direction only, current Bx26 route)

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Bx38 - Section 5 (current Bx28 route)

All other times except late nights

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Late Nights

Bx28 - all sections

Plan 2 (Bx38 keeps most weekday off peak service)

Rush hours

Bx25 - Section 4/5 (peak direction only, current Bx26 route)

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Middays and early evenings

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Bx38 - Section 5

Late evenings and weekends

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Late Nights

Bx28 - all sections

Plan 3 (Bx25 runs in both directions during rush hours, Bx38 runs off peak weekdays)

Rush hours

Bx25 - Section 4/5 (current Bx26 route)

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Middays and early evenings

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Bx38 - Section 5

Late evenings and weekends

Bx26 - all sections

Bx28 - all sections

Late Nights

Bx28 - all sections

Basically anything is an improvement over what MTA has now.

I don't get why these people want the QBX1. TBH its already here, its just called the BX23/Q50. Gotta deal with it.

For the BX28/Bx38, like I've said before, make ether one a Limited. Bx28 should be an LTD for example, since its longer then the Bx38. Gives the Co-op Riders an LTD Service besides the Q50.

I don't get why these people want the QBX1. TBH its already here, its just called the BX23/Q50. Gotta deal with it.

For the BX28/Bx38, like I've said before, make ether one a Limited. Bx28 should be an LTD for example, since its longer then the Bx38. Gives the Co-op Riders an LTD Service besides the Q50.

Not enough service on Gun Hill Road for a LIMITED on the Bx28. Some local stops (unless the Bx30 is rerouted off of Boston Road) would have 15+ minute waits for a bus.

Unless MTA adds more service the Bx38 shouldn't run on weekends. Running weekdays outside of rush hours would be a stretch.

I thought those two were ignoring each other...

Anyway, I think the restorations is a good idea, but there's no reason to restore the old QBx1. It was slow and confusing...

Like I said before, the Bx23 is literally the same way the QBx1 was in Pelham Bay/Co-Op City, except with some schedule adjustments

Its the Q50 that's routed differently in Co-Op City compared to the Qbx1. The Q50 doesn't go through section 2 (Dreiser Loop), and Section 4 (Asch Loop) bit instead stops outside of them

Not enough service on Gun Hill Road for a LIMITED on the Bx28. Some local stops (unless the Bx30 is rerouted off of Boston Road) would have 15+ minute waits for a bus.

Unless MTA adds more service the Bx38 shouldn't run on weekends. Running weekdays outside of rush hours would be a stretch.

I think if the MTA were to add LTD , lower the headways for the Bx28, and slightly for the Bx38. TBH, there is way to much bunching going on with the Bx28/Bx38, which needs to cut down. They are suppose to be like 10min for a Bx28, another 10min for a Bx38 followed by 10min for Bx28 (20min per route) at certain times, which doesn't happen..

Here's why people are complaining about the Bx23/Q50 setup and want the old QBx1back; people who work in Queens and live in Dreiser Loop or parts of Section 5 now have to choose between extra commuting time (the lack of 5-4-3-2-1 service to-from Flushing adds 20-25 minutes to the commute from Section 5 to Queens, and there's no limited stop in or near Dreiser Loop) and paying an extra fare (getting off the Q50 at Pelham Bay Park and taking the Bx23).

I don't think that going back to the way things were is a good idea, but here's my proposal:

1) Run some additional Q50 trips to/from Bellamy Loop via Section 5 (Pelham Bay-5-4-Bellamy) during rush hour.

2) Return the Bx26 to the original routing (left on Bartow Av, serving Sections 1-4 as well as Dreiser Loop, then terminating at Earhart Ln/Erskine Pl) during rush hours.

3) Restore the Bx25 during rush hours and run it as a limited-stop service, making all stops west of Bainbridge Av, then Webster Av, Botanical Garden, White Plains Rd, Bronxwood Av, Throop Av, Eastchester Rd, Bartow/Edson Avs, then all stops via Asch Loop directly to Section 5.

4)Run the Bx28 via Asch Loop, with limited stops from Bartow/Edson Avs to 205 St/Bainbridge Avs. Buses would run local to Bartow/Edson Avs, then stop at Eastchester Rd, Seymour Av, Boston Rd, Bronxwood Av, White Plains Rd, Webster Av, Bainbridge Av, 205 St, then all stops to Fordham Ctr. Run the Bx28 local when the Bx38 isn't running.

6)Maybe send some Bx5 trips through the lower half of Co-Op City (I95 to Section 5, then serve Bay Plaza and Bartow Av before returning to Pelham Bay Park to lay over), preferably on the weekends and during rush.

I want to thank Shortline Bus for reopening the thread cause I want to put my 2 cents in. It's common knowledge now that I live in Co-op City and I've stated before and will keep on stating that the cuts put to my neighborhood screwed us up royally. People talk about compromise but why should we compromise when we don't have great alternatives to compromise with? We don't have a subway line that comes up here so it doesn't work for here at all. Being away from the subway like we are, you need as many bus lines as you can have represent the neighborhood as you can get and we never should have lost the service that we lost. I was not able to attend the rally last month because I made plans for that day before that rally was advertised but I put my name down when the cuts were first implemented and with last months rally, I hope it puts a fire under the asses of Co-op City and the politicians in our neighborhood so we can get back the service that we deserve to get.

As for the QBx1. honestly I like the current setup of the Bx23 and the Q50 more than the QBx1. I like that we have some kind of Limited service in Co-op City but I think that both buses really need more buses on both lines and for the Q50, after 12am the Q50 should go to all parts of Co-op.

I rode out to co-op yesterday on the Q50...got off at the stop on Bartow @ Bay Plz..... crossed the street & waited for the 26...

Anyway, I don't know why people stay asking me for directions, but some fat woman sitting on the bench (empty shopping cart in hand) asked me "what bus you waitin for" (I said "the 26"... I should've said none of your business, looking back at it).....She then asks me "what bus go to gun hill rd now" - I said "you mean the subway? the 28, the 30, and the 38"...... What was telling was when she said the word "now"..... Anyway, the last thing she asked (as I was updating my log) was, "which one is quicker".... I was about to say the 28 & the 38 is the same (b/c that's how I look at it), then I had to correct myself & say "the 28"...... She then said thank you, and started babbling on about something about mount vernon (not to me, but amongst herself)....

The 26 & the 28 pulled up at the same time... she was about to board the same bus I did, but I pointed to the bus behind & told her take that one (the 26 was in front the 28)....... there was another old guy that got off a 29 or a 12 & crossed bartow just in time to catch the same 26....

Anyway, as far as the Q50 goes, I don't like the fact that it runs on the outskirts of co-op (sans section 5).... I had really wanted to ride the BxM7 full, but I aint feel like walking from the Carver loop stop to the BxM7 terminal (Dreiser).....

I want to thank Shortline Bus for reopening the thread cause I want to put my 2 cents in. It's common knowledge now that I live in Co-op City and I've stated before and will keep on stating that the cuts put to my neighborhood screwed us up royally. People talk about compromise but why should we compromise when we don't have great alternatives to compromise with? We don't have a subway line that comes up here so it doesn't work for here at all. Being away from the subway like we are, you need as many bus lines as you can have represent the neighborhood as you can get and we never should have lost the service that we lost. I was not able to attend the rally last month because I made plans for that day before that rally was advertised but I put my name down when the cuts were first implemented and with last months rally, I hope it puts a fire under the asses of Co-op City and the politicians in our neighborhood so we can get back the service that we deserve to get.

As for the QBx1. honestly I like the current setup of the Bx23 and the Q50 more than the QBx1. I like that we have some kind of Limited service in Co-op City but I think that both buses really need more buses on both lines and for the Q50, after 12am the Q50 should go to all parts of Co-op.

That's an interesting take... I feel your pain, but the issue I have is when other communities without subway service clamor for more bus service there doesn't seem to be as much sympathy for those communities, which quite frankly I don't understand. IMO that's where the subway mentality comes into play at. In sum, if you guys need all of your bus service, then other communities should be equally served that don't have subway service. What's fair is fair. As I said before, there are other communities without subway service that have seen cuts to their bus service and they don't have as many options as you guys do.

That's an interesting take... I feel your pain, but the issue I have is when other communities without subway service clamor for more bus service there doesn't seem to be as much sympathy for those communities, which quite frankly I don't understand. IMO that's where the subway mentality comes into play at. In sum, if you guys need all of your bus service, then other communities should be equally served that don't have subway service. What's fair is fair. As I said before, there are other communities without subway service that have seen cuts to their bus service and they don't have as many options as you guys do.

I never once said that we should be the only neighborhood with all the bus service because the subway doesn't come up here and the others neighborhoods can go to hell LOL. I can only speak for what I know and since I live here, I'm talking about what affects me directly. Me wanting bus service back to where it was pre June 2010 is not me knocking other areas that lost bus service or don't have enough bus service. I can't talk for Southern Brooklyn, Staten Island or even Riverdale because I don't go to those areas that much, if at all, but I definately feel that all neighborhoods that don't have subway service should have all the bus service they can get and if they lost bus service in June 2010, they should have their services restored as well. My post is not a "us vs them" situation, it's just about this specific area.

I never once said that we should be the only neighborhood with all the bus service because the subway doesn't come up here and the others neighborhoods can go to hell LOL. I can only speak for what I know and since I live here, I'm talking about what affects me directly. Me wanting bus service back to where it was pre June 2010 is not me knocking other areas that lost bus service or don't have enough bus service. I can't talk for Southern Brooklyn, Staten Island or even Riverdale because I don't go to those areas that much, if at all, but I definately feel that all neighborhoods that don't have subway service should have all the bus service they can get and if they lost bus service in June 2010, they should have their services restored as well. My post is not a "us vs them" situation, it's just about this specific area.

Oh I know... I'm just saying that the attitude on the boards from others is generally not supportive of neighborhoods such as yours which doesn't have subway service. I know because I've lived mainly in neighborhoods for years without subway service and still do living in Riverdale and we don't get much sympathy... It's either oh cut the express bus service, or they don't need all of those buses, or they shouldn't have moved there or some other ridiculous statement as if folks who live in areas without subway service don't deserve rapid, frequent service. They have no idea how expensive it would be to build subways in those communities, not to mention that in some cases it wouldn't be practical, but yet they constantly call for cutting of bus service (be it local or express). Our buses are their subways...

Oh I know... I'm just saying that the attitude on the boards from others is generally not supportive of neighborhoods such as yours which doesn't have subway service. I know because I've lived mainly in neighborhoods for years without subway service and still do living in Riverdale and we don't get much sympathy... It's either oh cut the express bus service, or they don't need all of those buses, or they shouldn't have moved there or some other ridiculous statement as if folks who live in areas without subway service don't deserve rapid, frequent service. They have no idea how expensive it would be to build subways in those communities, not to mention that in some cases it wouldn't be practical, but yet they constantly call for cutting of bus service (be it local or express). Our buses are their subways...

I could care less what people on other boards think about this situation. If that person doesn't deal with this area, his/her opinion means nothing. It shouldn't be a case of "oh they don't need express or local buses" cause we can say the same thing about any neighborhood in the city but it wouldn't be right. All neighborhoods should have good bus service in their areas 24/7 and I shake my head at a lot of people who think that cutting any bus route anywhere is a good thing.

I could care less what people on other boards think about this situation. If that person doesn't deal with this area, his/her opinion means nothing. It shouldn't be a case of "oh they don't need express or local buses" cause we can say the same thing about any neighborhood in the city but it wouldn't be right. All neighborhoods should have good bus service in their areas 24/7 and I shake my head at a lot of people who think that cutting any bus route anywhere is a good thing.

lol... And this is coming from a train conductor...

Archived