Rally to restore all service on the Bx26 & Bx28 in Co-op City

mark1447

Not enough service on Gun Hill Road for a LIMITED on the Bx28. Some local stops (unless the Bx30 is rerouted off of Boston Road) would have 15+ minute waits for a bus.

Unless MTA adds more service the Bx38 shouldn't run on weekends. Running weekdays outside of rush hours would be a stretch.

Exactly why I wanted bx30 off of gun hill in the first place to get an excuse to add service to Bx28/38 allowing bx28 to become LTD.

I want to thank Shortline Bus for reopening the thread cause I want to put my 2 cents in. It's common knowledge now that I live in Co-op City and I've stated before and will keep on stating that the cuts put to my neighborhood screwed us up royally. People talk about compromise but why should we compromise when we don't have great alternatives to compromise with? We don't have a subway line that comes up here so it doesn't work for here at all. Being away from the subway like we are, you need as many bus lines as you can have represent the neighborhood as you can get and we never should have lost the service that we lost. I was not able to attend the rally last month because I made plans for that day before that rally was advertised but I put my name down when the cuts were first implemented and with last months rally, I hope it puts a fire under the asses of Co-op City and the politicians in our neighborhood so we can get back the service that we deserve to get.

As for the QBx1. honestly I like the current setup of the Bx23 and the Q50 more than the QBx1. I like that we have some kind of Limited service in Co-op City but I think that both buses really need more buses on both lines and for the Q50, after 12am the Q50 should go to all parts of Co-op.

True but do you think another bus should go to pelham bay park/co-op city? Inaddition to boost in Q50 service

I thought those two were ignoring each other...

You thought wrong. I specifically said I wasn't going to, so I don't know where you got that impression.

Anyway.....

All neighborhoods should have good bus service in their areas 24/7 and I shake my head at a lot of people who think that cutting any bus route anywhere is a good thing.

I disagree with the idea that we should have "all the bus service we can get". And believe me, the nearest train line is almost 5 miles away, and it's not even a real subway, so I'm not one of those "just take the subway" types (which we really don't have many, if any members like that, so I don't know where he gets that idea from). I mean, some areas just don't have the ridership for "good" bus service. If a neighborhood only warrants 1 bus running every 30 minutes all day, then so be it. Of course, the MTA should try to ensure that the route is reliable, but other than that, what else can you do?

You thought wrong. I specifically said I wasn't going to, so I don't know where you got that impression.

Anyway.....

I disagree with the idea that we should have "all the bus service we can get". And believe me, the nearest train line is almost 5 miles away, and it's not even a real subway, so I'm not one of those "just take the subway" types (which we really don't have many, if any members like that, so I don't know where he gets that idea from). I mean, some areas just don't have the ridership for "good" bus service. If a neighborhood only warrants 1 bus running every 30 minutes all day, then so be it. Of course, the MTA should try to ensure that the route is reliable, but other than that, what else can you do?

I think what he means by "we need all the service we can get" is that crowding conditions warrant a service boost personally Q50 needs to be upgraded to at least every 12 mins. People actually want to get to queens and other parts via subway NOT just manhattan. Based on my observations. However to your credit princelex is suggesting overkill not everywhere warrants 24/7 bus service especially in places with subway or other alternatives. Personally there needs to be some distance connectivity between areas.

I think what he means by "we need all the service we can get" is that crowding conditions warrant a service boost personally Q50 needs to be upgraded to at least every 12 mins. People actually want to get to queens and other parts via subway NOT just manhattan. Based on my observations. However to your credit princelex is suggesting overkill not everywhere warrants 24/7 bus service especially in places with subway or other alternatives. Personally there needs to be some distance connectivity between areas.

Where is he suggesting overkill when over 60,000 people live in Co-op City, an area with NO subway service? Secondly please explain that last sentence.

Where is he suggesting overkill when over 60,000 people live in Co-op City, an area with NO subway service? Secondly please explain that last sentence.

He's referring to the idea that every community should have 24/7 service. He's not saying Co-Op City shouldn't have it. He's just saying in general that it shouldn't be a requirement for every single area to have 24/7 service. (Of course, most areas do have some sort of service within say, a mile, with only a couple of exceptions that require fixing)

Well just saying that you advocate for bus service and you're a train conductor, so clearly you understand that trains don't work everywhere...

I don't think it's a case of trains not working everywhere so much as making due with what's in front of you and since trains aren't in this part of the world, buses are the only alternative and there needs to be an amount of service that serves the community properly and in this case, the ()' /> screwed us but God willing, things will go back to it's proper place again.

True but do you think another bus should go to pelham bay park/co-op city? Inaddition to boost in Q50 service

I'm down with another bus going from Pelham Bay to Co-op but I think that if that's going to happen, that bus should serve another community so that it's not the same as the Bx23 or the Q50, but that's just my opinion on it.

That was a general statement. I wasn't saying buses need to come every 2 mins everywhere but I think that every neighborhood should get the proper amount of bus service, whatever it is. If the neighborhood is fine with waiting 15-20 mins for a bus, then so be it but if the neighborhood get service that comes every 5-8 mins, that's great too. As long as it doesn't make life hard for those residents, that's the main issue for me and I hope that with Co-op City, we have more rallies so we can show the ()' /> that what they did to us was wrong and that we won't stand for what they did in 2010 & ultimately, we will get back what we lost..

That was a general statement. I wasn't saying buses need to come every 2 mins everywhere but I think that every neighborhood should get the proper amount of bus service, whatever it is. If the neighborhood is fine with waiting 15-20 mins for a bus, then so be it but if the neighborhood get service that comes every 5-8 mins, that's great too. As long as it doesn't make life hard for those residents, that's the main issue for me and I hope that with Co-op City, we have more rallies so we can show the ()' /> that what they did to us was wrong and that we won't stand for what they did in 2010 & ultimately, we will get back what we lost..

I'm sorry to say this but some would simply disagree with you on that. We here in Riverdale have about 50,000 residents and we don't have nearly the amount of local bus service that you guys have. Quite frankly if service is based on population size, we should have far more service here than we do.

I'm sorry to say this but some would simply disagree with you on that. We here in Riverdale have about 50,000 residents and we don't have nearly the amount of local bus service that you guys have. Quite frankly if service is based on population size, we should have far more service here than we do.

AND YOU SHOULD HAVE MORE SERVICE! If what happens to us happen, you should be going buckwild about it

My opinion on this: Yes, Co-op City needs MUCH better bus service. The cuts severely affected Sections 1-4 (Gun Hill Rd service essentially halved, Allerton Ave service eliminated, and other service reductions). My ideas:

1) Increase frequency of the Bx23 and Q50 LTD, particularly during off-hours (each currently run half-hourly off-peak)

2) Bx25/26 pre-2010 service pattern restored

3) More frequent Bx28/38 service (beyond the rush-hour increases that took effect in April).

I see some are calling for a Bx28 LTD; is this in exchange for more frequent Bx38 service through Sections 1-4?

Riverdale is less densely populated and aside from that, it doesn't matter how many residents you have if the demand for bus service is lower. (And plus, it has about 35,000 residents, not 50,000 residents, so it's the same as Co-Op City population-wise, spread out over a larger area)

If buses are really that crowded (which from what some have described, they are), then there should be more service.

My opinion on this: Yes, Co-op City needs MUCH better bus service. The cuts severely affected Sections 1-4 (Gun Hill Rd service essentially halved, Allerton Ave service eliminated, and other service reductions). My ideas:

1) Increase frequency of the Bx23 and Q50 LTD, particularly during off-hours (each currently run half-hourly off-peak)

2) Bx25/26 pre-2010 service pattern restored

3) More frequent Bx28/38 service (beyond the rush-hour increases that took effect in April).

I see some are calling for a Bx28 LTD; is this in exchange for more frequent Bx38 service through Sections 1-4?

If there is ever a Bx28 LTD, then that bus needs to serve ALL of Co-op City. It can even be like the Q50 and bypass certain loops but then have the Bx38 come in and go to Asch and Dreiser Loop and when the Bx38 stops running, then the Bx28 will go to Asch and Dreiser.

If there is ever a Bx28 LTD, then that bus needs to serve ALL of Co-op City. It can even be like the Q50 and bypass certain loops but then have the Bx38 come in and go to Asch and Dreiser Loop and when the Bx38 stops running, then the Bx28 will go to Asch and Dreiser.

That's a good idea, actually; it'd make such a LTD decently (if not heavily) patronized. Assuming you'd have the local 38s serve only the Asch/Dreiser loops* while the 28 LTD runs like the Q50 LTD through there, that restructuring plus fewer stops on the 28 might be a money-saver...

*I don't know if you're actually calling for this; under this idea do you have both the 28/38 serving Sec 1-4 or just the 28?

That's a good idea, actually; it'd make such a LTD decently (if not heavily) patronized. Assuming you'd have the local 38s serve only the Asch/Dreiser loops* while the 28 LTD runs like the Q50 LTD through there, that restructuring plus fewer stops on the 28 might be a money-saver...

*I don't know if you're actually calling for this; under this idea do you have both the 28/38 serving Sec 1-4 or just the 28?

Both of them should serve all the sections to make the Bx28 LTD worth a damn

Archived