Story of T/O on the (E)

R62A 1991

Ok, today I took one final railfan trip on the R42 (J) train after work. I went all the way from Broad St to Jamaica Center. I then planned to go on the (E) to 14th St. I met a T/O @ Jamaica Center. We struck up a conversation, just by saying hi. He was an extra, going wherever they needed him. I asked him if he was R160 qualified, and he says he works the (N) at times. We talked all the way to 14th St basically. He was really nice, and told me to take the civil service exam since I'm a railfan, even if I'm going to college out of state. We ended up getting stuck between Roosevelt & Queens Plaza, due to that SSO on the Northern Blvd EXP, but he was a pro at clearing the station timers. Long story short, this was a good T/O, who wanted to see me behind the train or doing the door opening because I was a railfan, and I appreciated him pushing me to what I love. It's not often that I meet T/Os like that. That's my story, thanks for reading. I hope this T/O moves up in the ranks, he deserves it.

Side notes: What to do about Myrtle-B'way Junction? My (J) beat the R160 (M) that was in front of us, and they STILL let it go first! Any time savings we gained were lost completely. That's it.

That was a great message from a T/O. I've had a few bus drivers tell me get into the transit early, especially at NJT if I wanna get behind the wheel of a bus for a while.

And C/Rs and a few T/Os have told the same thing, just take the test, you never know.

Ok, today I took one final railfan trip on the R42 (J) train after work. I went all the way from Broad St to Jamaica Center. I then planned to go on the (E) to 14th St. I met a T/O @ Jamaica Center. We struck up a conversation, just by saying hi. He was an extra, going wherever they needed him. I asked him if he was R160 qualified, and he says he works the (N) at times. We talked all the way to 14th St basically. He was really nice, and told me to take the civil service exam since I'm a railfan, even if I'm going to college out of state. We ended up getting stuck between Roosevelt & Queens Plaza, due to that SSO on the Northern Blvd EXP, but he was a pro at clearing the station timers. Long story short, this was a good T/O, who wanted to see me behind the train or doing the door opening because I was a railfan, and I appreciated him pushing me to what I love. It's not often that I meet T/Os like that. That's my story, thanks for reading. I hope this T/O moves up in the ranks, he deserves it.

Side notes: What to do about Myrtle-B'way Junction? My (J) beat the R160 (M) that was in front of us, and they STILL let it go first! Any time savings we gained were lost completely. That's it.

That cool.....off topic:did you check out that G.O on the 3 line this morning?what a mess!

Good story. Had a good T/O on the (B)ravo a couple weeks back, very entertaining to joke around with (briefly) and a very good operator. And was nice enough to wave when I got off the train. Also had a very good conversation with a C/R who came along for the Nostalgia ride Sunday (not the C/R who worked it, another C/R) and a friend of a friend who's a C/R a month or so before that... it's always good when they give advice and want to see people like me down here...

It's funny though, the one thing they all say is that once you work for transit you sort of lose the railfan's enthusiasm for it. Like interesting GO's don't become as exciting. For me though I've always been most interested in the equipment, how it works, what different parts of the train do/where they're located and trying to learn what I can about HOW to do things (nothing illegal of course, just trying to LEARN it, not DO it) as well as other "operational" things like signals/timers, what towers control what, responsibilities of different job titles, RTO procedures etc., so if a career in business doesn't work out I think working for transit is one of the top alternatives I've got (although of course Day 1 in schoolcar would be back to blank slate knowledge-wise obviously). Either way though I plan on taking the next O/C C/R or T/O exam (if I'm eligible...I probably will barely be eligible for C/R).

It's funny I was 17 when the C/R Test came out in '03 and now I've been told I could've taken it anyway. Funny how that works...had I scored high and gotten a call in say 2005 after a very disappointing first year in college, who knows? I might be working for Transit right now...

Then again I might've been out on my arse having flunked schoolcar ;):) never know...

But good story. Wish the best for that T/O and any other transit employees who are friendly and give advice like that.

That was a great message from a T/O. I've had a few bus drivers tell me get into the transit early, especially at NJT if I wanna get behind the wheel of a bus for a while.

And C/Rs and a few T/Os have told the same thing, just take the test, you never know.

Bus operators. Bus ops I know from KB told me the same thing but I think it's just the kind of thing I would do temporarily. I wouldn't mind being a bus operator but by the time I attempt to do so there will only be spaceships and Cruisers. By then the only other thing they'd be using that I would want to operate is an Artic.

My best motive for being a bus op is that then you hang out in the swing room and when they bring out good old buses like the Phoenix 4396 and I think you get to ride if you work for them. At least that's what an employee was telling me about 4396.

That cool.....off topic:did you check out that G.O on the 3 line this morning?what a mess!

I had work, so I missed it. But my cousin got caught up in it. Man, can't they do it during the late nights?

Good story. Had a good T/O on the (B)ravo a couple weeks back, very entertaining to joke around with (briefly) and a very good operator. And was nice enough to wave when I got off the train. Also had a very good conversation with a C/R who came along for the Nostalgia ride Sunday (not the C/R who worked it, another C/R) and a friend of a friend who's a C/R a month or so before that... it's always good when they give advice and want to see people like me down here...

It's funny though, the one thing they all say is that once you work for transit you sort of lose the railfan's enthusiasm for it. Like interesting GO's don't become as exciting. For me though I've always been most interested in the equipment, how it works, what different parts of the train do/where they're located and trying to learn what I can about HOW to do things (nothing illegal of course, just trying to LEARN it, not DO it) as well as other "operational" things like signals/timers, what towers control what, responsibilities of different job titles, RTO procedures etc., so if a career in business doesn't work out I think working for transit is one of the top alternatives I've got (although of course Day 1 in schoolcar would be back to blank slate knowledge-wise obviously). Either way though I plan on taking the next O/C C/R or T/O exam (if I'm eligible...I probably will barely be eligible for C/R).

It's funny I was 17 when the C/R Test came out in '03 and now I've been told I could've taken it anyway. Funny how that works...had I scored high and gotten a call in say 2005 after a very disappointing first year in college, who knows? I might be working for Transit right now...

Then again I might've been out on my arse having flunked schoolcar ;):) never know...

But good story. Wish the best for that T/O and any other transit employees who are friendly and give advice like that.

Yeah when I became a Transit Employee I lost my enthusiasm to railfan. It was fun at first but after awhile it just feels like another job. However I still can't picture myself doing anything else for a living. I also encourage people who are interested in transit or career in transit to take all exams.

Same thing has happened to me countless times. Right now my friend's father keeps telling me to take the next track exam saying that in no time I might even be his boss. From talking to him and other TA works, I really do want to take any of the TA tests. I had wanted to be a police officer, but after coming back from college and talking to a few that I know, I really don't want to jump on that sinking ship. One even joked that he would shoot me if I took the test. I think transit would be something I like and they pay and benifits are alot better then the NYPD.

This kinda reminds me of when I went out to Union Turnpike every week. My dad worked at Woodhaven Blvd so we would take the (E) from Union Tpke to 71st-Continental and then take the local train across the platform, which if we were on time, was always the (G). we (my mon, sister, and I) were sitting in the front of the train and the driver had is door open. We went up to the door and watched. When we stopped he looked back at us.

He asked me (since im older) if i liked trains. I said yes of course and he let us stay in the driver's booth every saturday!

The coolest thing about this was that when the (G) train was late, it ran express and he asked us he we should stop to pick up my dad who worked at Woodhaven BLVD. so we skipped 63 and 67th, stopped a woodhaven and then skipped grand avenue and elmhurst avenue.

His name was Mr. Richie. He is retired now...idk if he's still alive...

Maybe thats why the (G) is my favorite train.

His train, if i remember correctly left continental @ 2:00.

Same thing has happened to me countless times. Right now my friend's father keeps telling me to take the next track exam saying that in no time I might even be his boss. From talking to him and other TA works, I really do want to take any of the TA tests. I had wanted to be a police officer, but after coming back from college and talking to a few that I know, I really don't want to jump on that sinking ship. One even joked that he would shoot me if I took the test. I think transit would be something I like and they pay and benifits are alot better then the NYPD.
Benefits better then NYPD? WRONG. When you retire out of NYCTA, do you want to die a few years later of all the shit you breathe down there? I don't think so. Plus you get to retire in 20 years flat. Don't listen to all these transit foamers. You might be a railfan and everything, but that job has its up and downs. You will get tried of operating very fast. If you plan to move all the way up the ranks like my bro, then its worth it.

I do plan to move on up. The NYPD is no longer a career, over the last few years it has been getting worse to the point were even the police commissioner hangs his men out to dry when they do their jobs. Transit is a much better option and there is more job security as apposed to the NYPD.

I think transit would be something I like and they pay and benifits are alot better then the NYPD.
The pay maybe a bit better than NYPD however I beg to differ with the benefits I came from NYPD and 2 of the biggest things to give up is the 20 year pension and the benefits.

Archived