MTA Subway Line Maps

York Transit

I went to NYC for the first time recently as a tourist and I couldn't help but notice how confusing MTA's subway line map brochures on their website are. It took me a while to understand why some stations were only served at night, and why some stations were served "sometimes, other times skipped", especially since it wasn't labelled when or why. (ESPECIALLY THE J/Z...my god that line is confusing for newbs)

So, being a photoshop nerd, I made it a challenge to make an easy-to-understand and legible map for every line that details:

-Where a train operates Local/Express

-What service is like at differing times of the day

Below is a comparison of the MTA's vague brochure details and my photoshopped route maps.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

---------------------------------------------------

1 TRAIN MAP

1oldm.jpg

1newd.jpg

2 TRAIN MAP

2oldm.jpg

2newd.jpg

3 TRAIN MAP

3old.jpg

3neww.jpg

4 TRAIN MAP

4old.jpg

4new.jpg

5 TRAIN MAP

5old.jpg

5new.jpg

6 TRAIN MAP

6old.jpg

6new.jpg

7 TRAIN MAP

7old.jpg

7newm.jpg

A TRAIN MAP

aoldl.jpg

anew.jpg

C TRAIN MAP

coldqm.jpg

cnew.jpg

E TRAIN MAP

eolda.jpg

enew.jpg

B TRAIN MAP

boldz.jpg

bnew.jpg

D TRAIN MAP

dold.jpg

dnew.jpg

F TRAIN MAP

foldu.jpg

fnew.jpg

M TRAIN MAP

moldy.jpg

mnewu.jpg

J/Z TRAIN MAP

jzold.jpg

jznew.jpg

Love it. I wish these were around. However, due to swapping with most lines, I don't think it will work for most of them, such as the (2)(5), (F)(R) train, etc. I think it would be best if these were digitally displayed on a screen. Just like the R160+ which have a mini screen where the FIND is at. Works best.

the one problem with putting the maps into the trains is that most of the time, a train is not assigned to a line, they're assinged to shops and yards and tend to be spread between lines based at those yards. The E, F and R use Jamaica Yard, which means an E train today could have been an R yesterday and might be an F tomorrow. Basicly, only on lines such as the who have sole use of thier fleets like the 7, and the L, which has a dedicated CBTC fleet of R143s (with some pooled CBTC R160s that ares harded with the J,M and Z), is that really feesable. This is why the MTA's gone in favor of the FIND system.

a train can be switched between lines at the end of a run, based upon the needs of the network. A train arriving in astoria as an N can be sent out as a Q. A 2 pulling into Flatbush might be needed on the 5. the FIND maps can be changed on the fly. I know the R142/As don't have finds, but there is common switching between which side of Manhattan they use at the end of the line. In those cases, the strip maps turn off.

For example, a southbound F made up of R160s is waiting to enter the 63rd st connector when word comes over the radio it has to use the 53rd st tube. The crew just needs to punch a few buttons and the FINDs can switch from showing 21-Queensbridge, Roosevelt Island, Lexington-63rd and 57th to Queens Plaza, 23-Court Sqaure, Lexington-53rd and 5th-53rd.

Here's my system of representing times of operation all on the main map (it would be individual line drawings like the Vignelli/Weekender map, — so just as it appears here, only incorporated into the map; but I would like to see the regular map adapted for it, or go with the Kick design (Which already uses slightly different shades for the different lines, which was an older idea of mine I sent in).

linedrawingsuggestions.png

You know what this reminds me of? Those metallic-like route strips that were being tested on the 4, 5 and R lines. Whatever became of that test pilot? I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

@York Transit: What you whipped up is quite nice. While I can't see them being put on the trains (for reasons mentioned up-thread), the line overviews could be useful at individual stations.

These strip maps are phenomenal. My only suggestion is that the subway service legend be put above the routes, as then people could view it first and then not be immediately be confused by lines with huge numbers of different rush hour patterns (e.g. the A).

york transit: wonderful job on those maps!

Love it. I wish these were around. However, due to swapping with most lines, I don't think it will work for most of them, such as the (2)(5), (F)(R) train, etc. I think it would be best if these were digitally displayed on a screen. Just like the R160+ which have a mini screen where the FIND is at. Works best.

If these maps are like the one in that pic with the (D) line, I could see each car having both maps (one on each end). The MTA would just have to sacrifice 2 spots that would've gone for ads. For trains (R68As) that could be used on up to 4 lines, I guess they'd have to use 4 spots.

THIS IS GREAT!! GOOD JOB ;) but now to improve LIRR schedules they are very boring.

Well they need to make the whole FIND one LCD screen and it'll work.

Could also be displayed aboard trains.

This is also one thing I noticed. Those electronic displays are nice but this is definitely more clear when it comes to route planning.

newsigns.jpg

I really like your idea, however, the in-station example you showed here shows a clear disadvantage of such detailed information display: it requires a lot of space. This might work out for stations with only 1 or 2 lines, but it could become messy with more than 2 lines (e.g. most Manhattan trunk lines, the Queens Boulevard line or the CPW line). There might also be a problem with implementing such maps in subway cars, for reasons others already mentioned.

But I think it'd be perfect as a foldout along with the map folders.

Archived