Times Sq 3 Late nite Shuffle

Juelz4309

I work midnites during the week and take the 1.2.3 to Times sq an every Night like clockwork when the 3 gets to Times sq and the c/r announces this is the last stop after opening the doors...The people poor in to the last car at the back...the doors close with like 30 people on board...I know this is got to be annoying as hell to the c/r...I also notice that the 3 pulls out relatively fast as there always seems to a 2 Behind it..Why dont they just run the 3 all the way to Chambers st anyway? The switch exists so why not?...

If a (2) is behind it, likely its the beginning of the Midnight (3) Shuttle (While the last few trains out of New Lots continue, before its all Shuttle to Harlem). Unless this is a G/O related.

For extending it down to Chambers Street, you can't just do that. It would block the (2). UNLESS done in a timely manor. Since the (2) runs every 20min, the (3) would have to speed thru crew change. But I don't think there is a crew room at Chambers. Another option would be to send it to 14th Street, where it won't interfere with traffic.

If I was running the MTA. I'd have the (2) run Express along Broadway/7th Ave like before, during Late Nights, and have the (3) do all Local stops to South Ferry to supplement (1) service compared to using the (2). This won't require switching at Chambers Street, and will cut the (2)s timing. So far to/from 241 and Flatbush is about 1 hour and 40min (as per the Schedule). I think thats a bit too long. Making it Express cuts 15-20min as like the Day and Eve service.

I agree...The 2 should Run Exp All times 96- Chambers...And the 3 supplements the 1 to South Ferry...No switchin invloved...Now I see the problem with Using Chambers as the last stop as the 2 swiches back over to Reach Brooklyn...I shuda realized that one lol...MTA should really consider this..that 2 Run at night is horribbly long....I would say the same about the A late nites but it dosent have the C....

Money issues, of course. If they ran the 3 to Chambers, then that extra 30 minutes or so extra roundtrip time would mean more crews would be needed. However, I DO feel that the 3 should run in service to 34 St since #1 half the time that's where they get turned anyway #2 since they'd turn on the platform, then the crew wouldn't have to waste time cleaning it out, and #3 it would at least give riders one more station they could get to without having to transfer. The reason that the MTA chooses not to do this is because of the law of stupid - customers won't transfer at Times Square, and then will be stuck on the center platform at 34 St, and once they figure out that they can't get a southbound train there, they'll have to do the long underpass transfer.

Money issues, of course. If they ran the 3 to Chambers, then that extra 30 minutes or so extra roundtrip time would mean more crews would be needed. However, I DO feel that the 3 should run in service to 34 St since #1 half the time that's where they get turned anyway #2 since they'd turn on the platform, then the crew wouldn't have to waste time cleaning it out, and #3 it would at least give riders one more station they could get to without having to transfer. The reason that the MTA chooses not to do this is because of the law of stupid - customers won't transfer at Times Square, and then will be stuck on the center platform at 34 St, and once they figure out that they can't get a southbound train there, they'll have to do the long underpass transfer.

Lol Law of stupid. So true. This is why I LOL when it comes to Fastrack G/O. People think the (1) and (2) would continue downtown, but when it gets to 34th Street and ends, they have no choice but to head one stop up for a transfer to other lines.

If money and crew numbers is the issue for making it local, then at least to 14th Street would be nice.

If a (2) is behind it, likely its the beginning of the Midnight (3) Shuttle (While the last few trains out of New Lots continue, before its all Shuttle to Harlem). Unless this is a G/O related.

For extending it down to Chambers Street, you can't just do that. It would block the (2). UNLESS done in a timely manor. Since the (2) runs every 20min, the (3) would have to speed thru crew change. But I don't think there is a crew room at Chambers. Another option would be to send it to 14th Street, where it won't interfere with traffic.

If I was running the MTA. I'd have the (2) run Express along Broadway/7th Ave like before, during Late Nights, and have the (3) do all Local stops to South Ferry to supplement (1) service compared to using the (2). This won't require switching at Chambers Street, and will cut the (2)s timing. So far to/from 241 and Flatbush is about 1 hour and 40min (as per the Schedule). I think thats a bit too long. Making it Express cuts 15-20min as like the Day and Eve service.

Probably if the (3) Shuttle Train was to be extended to Chambers St, the train crew might have to do the layover-turnaround south of Wall St

to make room for the (2), or have the uptown (2) run on the opposite track between Wall and Chambers Sts. It's a little risky to do, but it would be worth the less time riders would wait even if the (3) is right in front of it on both tracks.

I do agree that the (3) should at least go to 34 St. so that people who need Penn Station don't have to wait for the (1) or (2). But at least it's an improvement from years ago when the (3) shuttle would only go to 135 Street.

Years ago, meaning pre-2008, the (3) did not run during late nights. The "shuttle" you're reffering to is the shuttle bus that went from 148-Lenox to 135 St.

I work midnites during the week and take the 1.2.3 to Times sq an every Night like clockwork when the 3 gets to Times sq and the c/r announces this is the last stop after opening the doors...The people poor in to the last car at the back...the doors close with like 30 people on board...I know this is got to be annoying as hell to the c/r...I also notice that the 3 pulls out relatively fast as there always seems to a 2 Behind it..Why dont they just run the 3 all the way to Chambers st anyway? The switch exists so why not?...

It is hell dealing with the passengers at TImes Sq when i worked the (3). You can scream "NO PASSENGERS" "LAST STOP" and when you close the doors and check the cars, there will be loads of people in the cars and they look as stupid as they can look and it's pathetic. I hated doing that part of the (3) because of that.

When I did the shuttle, we never went into the 34th St station. For those who don't know, there is a relay track as between 42nd and 34th St where the train can switch tracks and it's there that the crew changes position to go back uptown. But I do agree with you Snowblock that it should be extended to 34th St. It would be so much easier and help the passengers that much more where Penn Station is concerned.

No need. Demand isn't there to support the (3) going down that far. If anything, the (3) should be extended to 34 Street as it was already mentioned.

Even if there is no demand by Harlem riders for (3) service going way downtown, You would still have demand for those who need service anywhere between South Ferry and 96th Street. Based on Late Night experiences I've gone thru, the (2) would pick up loads of its Bronx/Brooklyn Customers mainly at an Exp/lcl stop, while at LCL stops people would board and get off along or before 96th/Chambers. Some stick on the train who got on at a Local stop and continue. The (3) can do the same just like the (2).

The (2) is already too long during Late Night, I really think it should return Express instead of it Local.

Actually the (3) did run:

http://www.nycsubway...87_latenite.gif

Indeed, but it also was cut back for some time after 1987.

"During late nights and early Sunday mornings, trains ran only as a shuttle between 148th and 135th Streets until 1995, when the shuttle was discontinued (except Sunday mornings) and shuttle buses provided service to Lenox Terminal. On July 27, 2008, late night 3 service was restored, operating as an express between 148th Street and Times Square – 42nd Street."

I totally agree with the (3) going to 34th Street. It wouldn't be too hard.

Two options - Downtown (3) trains run on the layover track and terminate on either platform or downtown (3) trains run on the normal downtown express track to 34th, and up the layover.

Even if there is no demand by Harlem riders for (3) service going way downtown, You would still have demand for those who need service anywhere between South Ferry and 96th Street. Based on Late Night experiences I've gone thru, the (2) would pick up loads of its Bronx/Brooklyn Customers mainly at an Exp/lcl stop, while at LCL stops people would board and get off along or before 96th/Chambers. Some stick on the train who got on at a Local stop and continue. The (3) can do the same just like the (2).

The (2) is already too long during Late Night, I really think it should return Express instead of it Local.

In my late night excursions to Brooklyn, I was frustrated with having to transfer between the (1) and (2) at 96 or 42 just to get to Nevins. I'd rather see the (2) run Express through Midtown and have the (3) go local (or relay at 34) to see a difference.

Archived