Improved Nereid ave 5 Service

Juelz4309

I was happy to see that the rush hour 5 to 238...Actually goes there now...I used live off pelham parkway and I swear they woud Reroute us to Dyre more than likely or Run Exp to Gun Hill then drop out...But I recently went up that way to see my sister on 228/Barnes ave...I purposely waited for the Nereid 5 and expected the Nonsense...But it went exp to 180 then local to 238!!!...I was shocked lol...Stood on the platform f

I wasnt finished yet but i also noticed that the next 5 train also ran Normal to 238 st as well...Wish this was the case when I lived up that way...

Well as of a few months ago, from what I heard (seems true from looking) they stopped making the <5> Express from 180th to Gun Hill and ending it there, due to complain. While it is up to the dispatcher on what happens, this really needs to be placed on the timetable if it occurs way to much, which IT DID before.

For the <5> running express from GH to 238th, was it on the Middle track or on the local? Likely late train or dispatcher sending it to the yard.

Unionport normally will send the 5 to 238 up the middle track (next stop Gun Hill-WPR) IF it is making a connection with a 2 train at E180. This way both trains can leave E180 without either train having to cross in front of each other, and one won't hold the other up at the local stops. All that really matters to the dispatchers is that the 5 makes it into 239 yard, who cares what happens to the passengers....back when I was extra and got one of those 5 to 238 jobs, I would update the program to change the last stop to Gun Hill Rd if I saw an empty platform at 174, because I knew I was about to catch up to the 2 and connect to it at E180. That way the signs would already say "GUN HILL RD" and it would announce it as the next and last stop as soon as I opened the doors. It was clockwork.

The last couple times I worked the 5, my express run 3 Av-E180 got dropped and we were told to make local stops. It wasn't just mine, but the next couple 5's behind mine as well. By the time I did my next southbound trip, the Bronx express service had started up though......

Sometimes they cross back to the local, sometimes not. Again, it depends on where the deuces are. If they are holding a 2 on the local at Gun Hill, the transfer can be made there and the 5 can just go up the middle to the yard.

Also found out today that the reason 5 express service is starting later is due to the summer lite ridership supplement - we have lite 5 equipment running down the middle en route to the Bowling Green loop, so the first couple northboubds have to go up the local track.

Out of curiosity, couldn't they have the (5)s go local between Gun Hill Road & 238th Street. It would give the people heading north of Gun Hill Road the advantage of the express run, instead of having to transfer to the (2) and make local stops.

They already do that. But sometimes they would end at GH due to train moves in 239th. Sometimes the (5) would delay the (2), which is why its sent to the Middle. Plus with all the (3)s coming in for a wash, more delays are tied. That might explain why it ends at GH.

They already do that. But sometimes they would end at GH due to train moves in 239th. Sometimes the (5) would delay the (2), which is why its sent to the Middle. Plus with all the (3)s coming in for a wash, more delays are tied. That might explain why it ends at GH.

All (3) trains need to be is signed up as a (2) to go get to wash...

All (3) trains need to be is signed up as a (2) to go get to wash...

Umm no they dont? They can ether stick as a (3) or NIS. Besides they don't do service, UNLESS the (2) and (5) were backed up. I remember in 2007 the (3) was signed up as (2) and had to do service in the Bronx. Just like an R62A (1) ended up on the (2) (signed up as (2)) and ended at 3rd Ave due to delays.

Umm no they dont? They can ether stick as a (3) or NIS. Besides they don't do service, UNLESS the (2) and (5) were backed up. I remember in 2007 the (3) was signed up as (2) and had to do service in the Bronx. Just like an R62A (1) ended up on the (2) (signed up as (2)) and ended at 3rd Ave due to delays.

The (3) used to run in service rush hours and late evenings in the Bronx peak direction. It later became S/B only in the AM, NIS late evenings and ended completely around 2003-2004.

The (3) used to run in service rush hours and late evenings in the Bronx peak direction. It later became S/B only in the AM, NIS late evenings and ended completely around 2003-2004.

I don't remember that. Are there any photos or videos of it in service? Or timetable? Just to see, not saying your lying. Unless this was only done for accessing 239th St Yard?

Because Unionport doesn't have enough room to hold the entire 5's fleet, so 12 sets get stored at 239. Those Nereid trains are more about getting those trains on the road/back into the yard than they are about providing service in the Bronx. I wonder how many customers actually depend on and wait for those trains, rather than just transferring at E180?

I remember back when I posted on the 3, which was the only time I was ever at New Lots for the morning rush, and people were actually standing around waiting for one of the 5 put-ins from Livonia yard!

Look at Snowblock's post...

That's not solid evidence. Why: he's one person seeing one group of people getting on one train. The only thing that piece of information states is that a decent amount of people use that one run. A ridership statement would be better proof in this situation.

That's not solid evidence. Why: he's one person seeing one group of people getting on one train. The only thing that piece of information states is that a decent amount of people use that one run. A ridership statement would be better proof in this situation.

The only thing that can prove that is ridership stats, but let me tell you this:

Those New Lots runs are always crowded, people use them. We can't get rid of them anyway, but maybe the fail that is Rogers Junction and Flatbush Avenue is a benefit for New Lots riders...

Slightly off topic: My only concerns is that indirectly the increase on train service on the 5 or a change in the terminating stop on express service may create bottlenecks at 125th street and 138th, as bad as it is already, which could result possible in a cut in 4 service to woodlawn and back. Whic can cause an explosion in service on the Grand concourse. Otherwise 5 service to Nereid or to the last stop at 238th as an express would be good for 5 train passengers having to make that incredibly long trip uptown in the Bronx.

Slightly off topic: My only concerns is that indirectly the increase on train service on the 5 or a change in the terminating stop on express service may create bottlenecks at 125th street and 138th, as bad as it is already, which could result possible in a cut in 4 service to woodlawn and back. Whic can cause an explosion in service on the Grand concourse. Otherwise 5 service to Nereid or to the last stop at 238th as an express would be good for 5 train passengers having to make that incredibly long trip uptown in the Bronx.

If I'm correct, there was no increase in (5) service.

Well lets say hypothetically there is change with the 5 terminating father up the line. That could result in more TPH. Which could mean more trains that will stop at 149-Grand Concourse and 125th. That can cause bottlenecks and possibly longer delays at those two stations, that's my guess.

Archived