S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Careful..we would not want to invoke the anti-bus improvement NIMBYs now would we?

And why would we? I mean let's face it... There is nothing wrong with just calling it limited stop service instead of trying to make it sound like it is so much more. The marketing going into this is overkill. Meanwhile they should be marketing their local buses and express buses more so that those see more usage as well. To be honest, I'm not all that impressed with SBS. The only main difference is that you pay beforehand, but it pretty much makes most of the same stops that the limited stop buses made (i.e. M15)

Because the S79 does not get hammered down at most stops like the other SBS routes, regular payment will be used except for 86th and 4 Av where the only machine will be installed.

Wait. Where did they mention they'd have machines at 86th & 4th? I mean, it makes sense to speed up the boarding process there, since there are a lot of passengers boarding there, but then again, don't the passengers just board as the bus is laying over? I think that's a little confusing to do it that way, but whatever....

Then it should definitely be called a limited and not an SBS route. The main problem with this S79 "SBS" is that it will undoubtedly lead to confusion amongst the regular riders. Most riders equate SBS with off-board fare payments and the tickets you have to hold on to when you get on the bus. However, the S79 has the same fare payment method as every other local/limited/express bus line in the city. So you have this problem where SBS = pay before boarding, except when it doesn't. Consistency, WTF is that?

Maybe fare machines for now aren't really needed outside of bay ridge because 1) it really wouldn't speed up the trip. 2) if they wait for the machines, they won't be able to start up by the start of the school semester. It's still branded, it still has every other feature of SBS. It has a machine at one stop. The M34's don't have a machine ad one or two stops nor attics. Is that a fake SBS?

Then it should definitely be called a limited and not an SBS route. The main problem with this S79 "SBS" is that it will undoubtedly lead to confusion amongst the regular riders. Most riders equate SBS with off-board fare payments and the tickets you have to hold on to when you get on the bus. However, the S79 has the same fare payment method as every other local/limited/express bus line in the city. So you have this problem where SBS = pay before boarding, except when it doesn't. Consistency, WTF is that?

It's this whole mind game the MTA is trying to play. Calling it a limited stop bus wouldn't make them feel like they were doing anything big. I'm also wondering if it has anything to do with whether or not they get funding for the route because remember, the MTA gets federal funding for those SBS routes that they put in, which allows them to buy new buses and so on.

Maybe fare machines for now aren't really needed outside of bay ridge because 1) it really wouldn't speed up the trip. 2) if they wait for the machines, they won't be able to start up by the start of the school semester. It's still branded, it still has every other feature of SBS. It has a machine at one stop. The M34's don't have a machine ad one or two stops nor attics. Is that a fake SBS?

The reason is because those are lightly used stops.

That's a good point with the federal funding. Maybe in this case, it isn't such a waste to call it +SBS+ (though again, there's the confusion factor with the off-board fare payment)

On a side note, I wish the S59 would enter the ETC the same way the S79 +SBS+ is going to. (Instead of going up to Arthur Kill Road and entering the way the southbound buses go, it would enter at the light before Arthur Kill Road and go the reverse direction of the other bus routes, and then come out at Arthur Kill Road)

That's a good point with the federal funding. Maybe in this case, it isn't such a waste to call it +SBS+ (though again, there's the confusion factor with the off-board fare payment)

On a side note, I wish the S59 would enter the ETC the same way the S79 +SBS+ is going to. (Instead of going up to Arthur Kill Road and entering the way the southbound buses go, it would enter at the light before Arthur Kill Road and go the reverse direction of the other bus routes, and then come out at Arthur Kill Road)

That same wish should also include the S89LTD, X1, X4, and X5.

As much as I hate to say it, marketing plays a huge factor it in. Before the M15 got SBS, I would've never even thought of taking it from Midtown to the Upper East Side, but now I prefer to do that than take the 6 train. Even though the trip is only a few minutes faster than it would've been if the limited had still been around, it feels so much faster because it's called something special.

But would you go as far as to say that it makes no difference with respect to randomness factors such as people not having cards ready and people exiting through the front in droves when the front is the only place to legally board (this is all on non-SBS buses)?

On paper, I can see that it is not that much faster; it takes 40-43 mins max to get from 1st Ave/2nd St to 125 during PM rush while the LTD took 50 (52 to 2nd Ave/126, then subtract 2 mins for 1st Ave/125) during PM rush according to the old sched: http://web.archive.org/web/20090408011404/http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/schedule/manh/m015cur.pdf

Although it seems like it was quite quick even when it was LTD, simply because of the signal synchronization that occurs on one-way streets.

Actually, none of the stops will have SBS machines. However, there are 8 additional trips on the schedule. What I don't get is: Why not just call this the S99 Limited and make it a full-time route?

Actually, none of the stops will have SBS machines. However, there are 8 additional trips on the schedule. What I don't get is: Why not just call this the S99 Limited and make it a full-time route?

Part of it might be that the route is full-time, and all the S8_ & S9_ buses run during rush hours only.

Archived