S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

BTW- S48 is the only SI route slower than M15 select. Bx12 is slower than every SI bus rt. Even being SBS

A Post

That's a joke, right? I've ridden full length S48s, they are MUCH FASTER than the M15. The Bx12 local and SBS is MUCH FASTER than a LOT of S.I routes.....there's no way in hell that the 2 longest routes in NYC, the S74 and S78 is much faster than the Bx12....

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a joke, right? I've ridden full length S48s, they are MUCH FASTER than the M15. The Bx12 local and SBS is MUCH FASTER than a LOT of S.I routes.....there's no way in hell that the 2 longest routes in NYC, the S74 and S78 is much faster than the Bx12....

lol... The S48 can indeed be annoying because sometimes it makes every friggin' bloody stop. Later on at night is when it usually is faster, plus the traffic along Forest Avenue in the areas where Forest is narrower can slow down the bus as well.

The S74 & S78 have some fast stretches on the South Shore. I could believe that they're faster, but because their route is longer, they have more runtime.

plus the traffic along Forest Avenue in the areas where Forest is narrower can slow down the bus as well.

There's traffic on the wider parts of Forest as well. The area between Van Pelt Avenue & Richmond Avenue (going eastbound) can get some bad backups too.

The S74 & S78 have some fast stretches on the South Shore. I could believe that they're faster, but because their route is longer, they have more runtime

When you factor in the amount of people that get on/off the bus, it's not that much faster....I've been on both of those routes full length with a huge crowd before, both trips took almost 2 hours!

Its never taken me more than 1 hr to get from victory/bay to bricktown mall. S74 is DEAD past ETC. the s78 is good with the short turn runs at Eltingville.

Also, have you noticed SI has longer routes than the other boroughs? Thats because if rts are looong in other boros, the schedules will be way off. Plus buses at terminal , such as the S46 usually has 15 minutes of lateness allowed. In other words, it has 1 hr to complete 1 trip. It usually cOmpletes it in 48 mts. And whatever time is leftover the driver will just play temple run on their phone.

Also, have you noticed SI has longer routes than the other boroughs? Thats because if rts are looong in other boros, the schedules will be way off. Plus buses at terminal , such as the S46 usually has 15 minutes of lateness allowed. In other words, it has 1 hr to complete 1 trip. It usually cOmpletes it in 48 mts. And whatever time is leftover the driver will just play temple run on their phone.

There are some pretty long routes in the other boroughs. You have some of the north-south Manhattan routes and then you have routes like the B82 that run across the entire borough.

The S48 not crowded: Off-peak direction rush hours AM, 8pm-6am, before 9 and after 6pm on saturday, and before 9-30 & after 5-30 PM

The S46 sunday service is crowded btwn 11pm (some) and 4pm

I assume you mean 11AM, not 11PM. As for the S46, I don't think it's that crowded at any time on a Sunday.

BTW, if there are bus lanes/ TSP btwn Forest& bay, the S91S92S98S96 should be labeled Select Bus Service. A full time SBS on 98 wood help. Ex- 8 15 6 60

60 15 15 60

60 15 15 60

The thing is that the MTA wants to brand SBS as a high-quality service, and a rush hour-only route ain't enough. For the S98, I agree that the service hours could be expanded, but no way does it warrant 6 minute headways in the PM rush.

Did anyone take a ride on it yet? I saw a few of the buses today coming back from brooklyn. How is the trip?

i took a ride today...from 92st in brooklyn to eltingville transit center...took 25mins...buses are clean inside...feels new...the pple look lost on the bus...and those flashing blue lights are sooo bright! i feel like hylan blvd is still long...but it reminds me of 1st ave in manhattan...traffic flowing...nd thats how the s79 was...

Its never taken me more than 1 hr to get from victory/bay to bricktown mall. S74 is DEAD past ETC. the s78 is good with the short turn runs at Eltingville.

That makes me wonder why the S78's overnight runs aren't St. George to Eltingville only, out of Castleton instead of Charleston; the area west of Richmond Avenue is well overserved.

As for the S79 SBS, I took a ride on it today - 45 minutes from Bay Ridge/86 Street to SI Mall-Sears both ways. The bus got hammered at the mall.

I think that machines could be used at 86th St\4th Av, SI Mall, and ETC. Those are the busiest stops on the S79,IMO.

The thing is that what do you do at those stops? Do you show the ticket to the B/O? But then if the B/O has to take the time to look at all the tickets, how much time do you realistically save? I guess at those stops, they could give you the option of flashing the ticket or dipping in a MetroCard, but then that opens it up for abuse unless the B/O inspects the ticket, which would take away the time savings?

That makes me wonder why the S78's overnight runs aren't St. George to Eltingville only, out of Castleton instead of Charleston; the area west of Richmond Avenue is well overserved.

I don't really see the point in that. I mean, I don't see the problem with the B/O ending their run at Bricktown, especially considering the depot's right around the corner. If they ended at Richmond Avenue, the deadhead distance to Castleton would still be shorter from St. George.

Personally, I don't agree with the the way the routes serve Bricktown. I would have the S74 take Bloomingdale Road to Englewood Avenue, serve the mall, and then continue to Tottenville. I'd reroute the S55 to Bricktown via Englewood Avenue, and cut the S78 back to Tottenville. You add deadhead distance, but you save by not having the S74 take a roundabout route (since it no longer needs to serve the correctional facility). And in addition, you make the S78 a little more reliable for Hylan Blvd local riders (and of course, Tottenville riders get back their direct route to the ETC). The S55 reroute would be with the hope of eventually extending the route to Perth Amboy, because realistically, I can't see a ton of ridership either way (ending at Bricktown or ending along Bloomingdale Road)

Since the S78 is relevant to the S79, does anybody know the ridership patterns at the Bricktown Mall? I've been meaning to check that area out, but never got around to it.

I don't really see the point in that. I mean, I don't see the problem with the B/O ending their run at Bricktown, especially considering the depot's right around the corner. If they ended at Richmond Avenue, the deadhead distance to Castleton would still be shorter from St. George.

Personally, I don't agree with the the way the routes serve Bricktown. I would have the S74 take Bloomingdale Road to Englewood Avenue, serve the mall, and then continue to Tottenville. I'd reroute the S55 to Bricktown via Englewood Avenue, and cut the S78 back to Tottenville. You add deadhead distance, but you save by not having the S74 take a roundabout route (since it no longer needs to serve the correctional facility). And in addition, you make the S78 a little more reliable for Hylan Blvd local riders (and of course, Tottenville riders get back their direct route to the ETC). The S55 reroute would be with the hope of eventually extending the route to Perth Amboy, because realistically, I can't see a ton of ridership either way (ending at Bricktown or ending along Bloomingdale Road)

Since the S78 is relevant to the S79, does anybody know the ridership patterns at the Bricktown Mall? I've been meaning to check that area out, but never got around to it.

The deadhead would be from the St. George Terminal end overnight, and not from the Bricktown end. As for having the S55 serve the mall, I'd send it down the S74's path and have the S74 run as you plan...but keep the S78 service to Bricktown to reduce the deadhead distance, Lower Arthur Kill Road is overserved...I agree with that. However, much of the S78's ridership past Eltingville is to Bricktown.

During the day, there are deadheads from Charleston to Eltingville.

[From the MTA's site. Article hidden in a spoiler to save space.]

"After months of preparation, Select Bus Service is now operating along [the] S79 route between Staten Island and Brooklyn."

SBSS79HylanBlvd090212.jpg

The distinctively wrapped Select Bus Service or SBS buses began providing passenger service along the S79 Sunday, ushering in a new type of service for Staten Island. The new service, which features four miles of dedicated bus lanes and fewer stops, will mean faster and more reliable bus service for thousands of daily Staten Island commuters looking to reach the Staten Island Mall or to transfer to the 86th St - Bay Ridge R (use graphic) station in Brooklyn.

MTASBSS79TedOrosz.jpg

Photo by Ted Orosz, NYC Transit:

Customers board Bay Ridge - 86th St bound SBS S79 at Staten Island Mall

Ted Orosz, Director of Long Range Bus Planning for NYC Transit says customers were prepared for the change. “Our customers know a good thing when they see it, and in this case they can see and feel the difference in the amount of time their trips take,” said Orosz. But Orosz admits the true test will take place in the coming days as more riders return from vacation, and school opens on Thursday.

This new Select Bus route is the fourth introduced since 2008 when the Bx15, which runs along Fordham Road, became the first Select Bus line in New York City. The Bx15 was joined by the M15 on First and Second Avenues in Manhattan in 2010; and on the M34 along 34th Street in Manhattan last November. These services have each reduced bus travel times by approximately 20-percent and increased ridership by almost 10-percent.

Unlike other Select Bus Service routes, the new SBS S79 will not employ off-board fare collection, as boarding times were determined not to be a primary cause for bus delays. The new S79 service does streamline the number of stops from 80 to just 22 along the 16-mile route, which runs from the Staten Island Mall on Richmond Avenue and crosses the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to 86th Street in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. About 4,000 of the S79's current passengers travel to or from the route's two endpoints alone and the new service will provide for free transfers to commuters using the R train in Bay Ridge.

Local service to bypassed stops will be retained on the S59 and S78 lines. Local and express bus routes along Hylan Boulevard served 32,000 riders last year, amounting to one quarter of the borough's 123,000 bus riders. This new service is expected to reduce travel times along the S79 route by more than 18 percent – from about 80 minutes to 65 minutes – and up to a 16 percent decrease – 13 minutes – in travel times for other buses along the Hylan Blvd corridor. Additional bus routes along the corridor will also benefit from the dedicated bus lanes and improved signal timing implemented for this project.

New left-turn lanes have also been added to the route, as have five new pedestrian refuge islands, seven new bus shelters, as well as improved concrete bus areas to prevent wear on street pavement and sidewalks to make getting to and from the bus stop safer and more convenient. Four miles of new red bus lanes have been painted and over a mile of the Hylan Boulevard has been resurfaced from curb to curb, benefiting bus passengers and drivers alike.

All express and local bus lines can use the new dedicated lanes, which will speed up service for thousands of additional bus riders in Staten Island. Private vehicles may enter the lane only to make right turns or to quickly pick up and drop off passengers, with the goal of reducing lane-changing that currently slows traffic along Hylan Boulevard. Emergency vehicles, school buses and sanitation vehicles also are permitted to use the bus lanes. Except for a few short portions of the route that will remain restricted to buses at all times, all vehicles can use the bus lanes during non-weekday rush hour times.

In 2007, the Department of Transportation installed Traffic Signal Priority on Staten Island's Victory Boulevard, which extends green lights or shortens red lights for approaching buses. Next spring, Transit Signal Priority will also be installed along the S79 line, ensuring buses stop at fewer traffic lights and further enhancing bus service in the borough.

The MTA's usual article about a new SBS line. Look, I like SBS and all, but it's really not the greatest thing since sliced bread the MTA likes to market it as. Really egregious given it's the S79 we're talking about, which shouldn't be an SBS route anyway.

[From the MTA's site. Article hidden in a spoiler to save space.]

"After months of preparation, Select Bus Service is now operating along [the] S79 route between Staten Island and Brooklyn."

SBSS79HylanBlvd090212.jpg

The distinctively wrapped Select Bus Service or SBS buses began providing passenger service along the S79 Sunday, ushering in a new type of service for Staten Island. The new service, which features four miles of dedicated bus lanes and fewer stops, will mean faster and more reliable bus service for thousands of daily Staten Island commuters looking to reach the Staten Island Mall or to transfer to the 86th St - Bay Ridge R (use graphic) station in Brooklyn.

MTASBSS79TedOrosz.jpg

Photo by Ted Orosz, NYC Transit:

Customers board Bay Ridge - 86th St bound SBS S79 at Staten Island Mall

Ted Orosz, Director of Long Range Bus Planning for NYC Transit says customers were prepared for the change. “Our customers know a good thing when they see it, and in this case they can see and feel the difference in the amount of time their trips take,” said Orosz. But Orosz admits the true test will take place in the coming days as more riders return from vacation, and school opens on Thursday.

This new Select Bus route is the fourth introduced since 2008 when the Bx15, which runs along Fordham Road, became the first Select Bus line in New York City. The Bx15 was joined by the M15 on First and Second Avenues in Manhattan in 2010; and on the M34 along 34th Street in Manhattan last November. These services have each reduced bus travel times by approximately 20-percent and increased ridership by almost 10-percent.

Unlike other Select Bus Service routes, the new SBS S79 will not employ off-board fare collection, as boarding times were determined not to be a primary cause for bus delays. The new S79 service does streamline the number of stops from 80 to just 22 along the 16-mile route, which runs from the Staten Island Mall on Richmond Avenue and crosses the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to 86th Street in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. About 4,000 of the S79's current passengers travel to or from the route's two endpoints alone and the new service will provide for free transfers to commuters using the R train in Bay Ridge.

Local service to bypassed stops will be retained on the S59 and S78 lines. Local and express bus routes along Hylan Boulevard served 32,000 riders last year, amounting to one quarter of the borough's 123,000 bus riders. This new service is expected to reduce travel times along the S79 route by more than 18 percent – from about 80 minutes to 65 minutes – and up to a 16 percent decrease – 13 minutes – in travel times for other buses along the Hylan Blvd corridor. Additional bus routes along the corridor will also benefit from the dedicated bus lanes and improved signal timing implemented for this project.

New left-turn lanes have also been added to the route, as have five new pedestrian refuge islands, seven new bus shelters, as well as improved concrete bus areas to prevent wear on street pavement and sidewalks to make getting to and from the bus stop safer and more convenient. Four miles of new red bus lanes have been painted and over a mile of the Hylan Boulevard has been resurfaced from curb to curb, benefiting bus passengers and drivers alike.

All express and local bus lines can use the new dedicated lanes, which will speed up service for thousands of additional bus riders in Staten Island. Private vehicles may enter the lane only to make right turns or to quickly pick up and drop off passengers, with the goal of reducing lane-changing that currently slows traffic along Hylan Boulevard. Emergency vehicles, school buses and sanitation vehicles also are permitted to use the bus lanes. Except for a few short portions of the route that will remain restricted to buses at all times, all vehicles can use the bus lanes during non-weekday rush hour times.

In 2007, the Department of Transportation installed Traffic Signal Priority on Staten Island's Victory Boulevard, which extends green lights or shortens red lights for approaching buses. Next spring, Transit Signal Priority will also be installed along the S79 line, ensuring buses stop at fewer traffic lights and further enhancing bus service in the borough.

The MTA's usual article about a new SBS line. Look, I like SBS and all, but it's really not the greatest thing since sliced bread the MTA likes to market it as. Really egregious given it's the S79 we're talking about, which shouldn't be an SBS route anyway.

They said the Bx15 runs along Fordham Road :):lol:

It seems that this is more a marketing effort than anything else. The S79 is basically a Limited bus on steroids, as is the case with all +SBS+. It is not BRT. It's kind of a hybrid between BRT and Limited. And with the S79, it's leaning more towards Limited. This just gets more confusing because 1 of the supposed benefits of +SBS+ is curbside fare collection. But now the S79 doesn't have that, so you have to dip the card, like any other un-glorified bus route. So dwell times at SI Mall or other 'main' stops on Hylan won't change.

Plus, in my few experiences on the M15 +SBS+, the bus rarely traveled in the bus lane and spent most if its time in mixed traffic.

Everyone is going so crazy for the SBS S79. Why did it get SBS and not LTD. The ridership is not that high compared to routes like the Bx15,M60, M1, M101,B61,Q58 and Q44.

By the way is SBS and bus time only for NYCT bus or can it also be for MTA Bus.

As I've always said, it's them trying to pretend that they "remembered" the "forgotten borough". It's not real SBS and I would've just preferred they call it a limited, but what can you do? I also wonder if they were able to get better funding for it by calling it an SBS route.

Since it's only on the M34/34A, B63, and SI routes, as of now it's only for NYCT routes.

BTW, I don't know why the M1 is on your list. The S79 gets higher ridership than it.

Archived