S79 SBS bus discussion thread

Amtrak7

I still think the S78 is quicker. Higher frequency ( every 15 mts 630-930 Sunday) meaning extremely empty buses on evenings, especially around tottenville. The S79 didn't need SBS on Sunday or even saturday, whereas the S48 could use Sunday SBS, perhaps with the S79 SBS frequency and run down south av(S96 always to teleport, S46 teleport Noon and Evening all trips.

S99 no need to coordinate at ferry as it wood get caught at the ferry bus congestion.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think the S78 is quicker. Higher frequency ( every 15 mts 630-930 Sunday) meaning extremely empty buses on evenings, especially around tottenville. The S79 didn't need SBS on Sunday or even saturday, whereas the S48 could use Sunday SBS, perhaps with the S79 SBS frequency and run down south av(S96 always to teleport, S46 teleport Noon and Evening all trips.

S99 no need to coordinate at ferry as it wood get caught at the ferry bus congestion.

S48 does not have anywhere NEAR ridership for SBS.

Aren't those short-turns, though? So they don't run all the way to Tottenville.

I agree that the S79 didn't need to be an all-day select route, but maybe by calling it SBS, they got some additional funding for it.

As for the S48, I don't think it needs SBS, just expanded limited-stop service.

If anything the S53 should have SBS and the S48 should get more limited stop service. The S53 has a TERRIBLE bunching problem and people take FOREVER to get off making every damn stop. With all of the connections that the S53 makes at the very least it should have limited stop service 7 days a week.

I wouldn't say the S53 needs SBS, but the S48 does need more LTD service for sure.

I wouldn't say the S53 needs SBS, but the S48 does need more LTD service for sure.

Yeah the thing is during rush hours in particular is when the S53 could really benefit from some sort of limited stop service. I think SBS service would benefit the S53 particularly because of how long it takes folks to board. Some sort of modified SBS would be great for that line and would improve service in terms of the bunching issue.

Yeah the thing is during rush hours in particular is when the S53 could really benefit from some sort of limited stop service. I think SBS service would benefit the S53 particularly because of how long it takes folks to board. Some sort of modified SBS would be great for that line and would improve service in terms of the bunching issue.

The 93 kinda mimics the 53 though up until Victory Blvd and they do tend to bunch due to traffic that spilled over from the S.I Expressway from time to time and along Castleton Avenue, but there's no way to fix that especially with how narrow the streets are along Castleton Avenue. S46s/S96s can barely pass each other along Castleton Avenue until they pass Port Richmond Avenue.

The 93 kinda mimics the 53 though up until Victory Blvd and they do tend to bunch due to traffic that spilled over from the S.I Expressway from time to time and along Castleton Avenue, but there's no way to fix that especially with how narrow the streets are along Castleton Avenue. S46s/S96s can barely pass each other along Castleton Avenue until they pass Port Richmond Avenue.

I think it could be fixed to some degree. The locals could move faster and not get slammed with folks at every single stop since most folks would want the limited at the big stops. I had proposed a limited stop plan called the S83 which had about 12 stops total in each direction and presented it to the (MTA) last year when I spoke to them about the need for later express bus service on Staten Island. Everyone seems to think that the S93 is a replica of the S53 but it really isn't. The S93's main purpose is to serve CSI. It doesn't really hit the heart of the S53's route. As for getting around other locals it can be done. SI local buses do it all of the time. You just go into the lane of oncoming traffic. There is nothing else you can do. Heck that's how the X30 and X16 has done it for years down Forest.

I think it could be fixed to some degree. The locals could move faster and not get slammed with folks at every single stop since most folks would want the limited at the big stops. I had proposed a limited stop plan called the S83 which had about 12 stops total in each direction and presented it to the (MTA) last year when I spoke to them about the need for later express bus service on Staten Island. Everyone seems to think that the S93 is a replica of the S53 but it really isn't. The S93's main purpose is to serve CSI. It doesn't really hit the heart of the S53's route. As for getting around other locals it can be done. SI local buses do it all of the time. You just go into the lane of oncoming traffic. There is nothing else you can do. Heck that's how the X30 and X16 has done it for years down Forest.

There would be a lot more than 12 stops. At the very least you have:

Richmond Terrace & Park Avenue

Port Richmond Avenue & Harrison Avenue

Castleton Avenue & Jewett Avenue

Castleton Avenue & Clove Road

Castleton Avenue & Broadway

Broadway & Cary Avenue

Broadway & Forest Avenue

Clove Road & Bard Avenue

Clove Road & Victory Blvd

Clove Road & Howard Avenue

Clove Road & Targee Street

Clove Road & Giles Place

Hylan Blvd & Clove Road

McClean Avenue & Lily Pond Avenue

92nd Street & Fort Hamilton Parkway

86th Street & 4th Avenue

That's 16 stops right there. If you want to make it local north of Forest Avenue or in Brooklyn that's even more stops.

You mean east or west of Port Richmond Avenue? In both cases, I've seen it done as long as the B/Os cooperated.

Archived