Dilapidated N-line subway stations are dangerous - especially rotting metal

mark1447

I wonder if the MTA would decide to tile the stations like they did with some stations on the Brighton line as an enhancement? As part of the structual renovations? As for the delay until 2014 to be fair, this one will take alot of evalutions, bidding and planning since we cam all be in aggreement that there is a lot of structual problems with the stations, trackbeds and the stations themselves, ADA access, and the like. This is going to be a huge job, the biggest one since the Culver rehabilitation project. Maybe install a switch before Kings Highway on top of that?

I wonder if the MTA would decide to tile the stations like they did with some stations on the Brighton line as an enhancement? As part of the structual renovations? As for the delay until 2014 to be fair, this one will take alot of evalutions, bidding and planning since we cam all be in aggreement that there is a lot of structual problems with the stations, trackbeds and the stations themselves, ADA access, and the like. This is going to be a huge job, the biggest one since the Culver rehabilitation project. Maybe install a switch before Kings Highway on top of that?

Well a good majority of the trackbed was replaced recently, so that's one less thing they have to worry about

I had to commute recently running the N after work to a blind date at night with this lady off 8th Avenue from Kings Highway. That's another story but I can see the difference. Much smoother ride without the excessive rock n roll that used to be the case. Actually yeah she also pointed it out as a coincidence. The rider is better and it seems that the trains, NTT's notwithstanding, as these trains are no joke when it comes to it's powerful traction motors she said.

I always think the ridership of the Sea Beach will increase tremendously when it get full rehab.

Ridership of the Sea Beach from 2004 to 2011 (New Utrecht Ave / 62nd St included):

2004: 11215793 2005: 12080642

2006: 13529381 2007: 13721508

2008: 14935603 2009: 15661912

2010: 15830368 2011: 16192774

Even with those crappy stations, ridership of the Sea Beach still keeps increasing for almost a decade.

They did a great job on West End and Brighton. I noticed the change as I came in on spring break. I am sure once Culver is out of the way that they will tackle this. Maybe even put in the proposed <N> now that ridership is up on the Sea Beach more than the West End.

There are no trains for that, because the majority of trains are on the (Q), and the (N) would have to be at least 16 TPH (6 TPH for the express, 10 TPH for the local) for that to work. The new stairways they'd have to build at the express stations would turn out to be costly as well...

There are no trains for that, because the majority of trains are on the (Q), and the (N) would have to be at least 16 TPH (6 TPH for the express, 10 TPH for the local) for that to work. The new stairways they'd have to build at the express stations would turn out to be costly as well...

That is true, but you never know what may happen in the future. If anything, I would completely pull out that uptown Express track. That would be the best move while rehabilitation is going on.

I agree those stations need serious help right now, the only reason, I can think of, the MTA is saying 2014 is that the when the complete overall of the signals along the 7/ASH line will be complete..

(If I remember correctly what date was on the sign.) (I don't know enough about the Capital program and how it works if that one project will effect other projects.. I'm just throwing it out there.)

That project is going to cost $800 million dollars and will include retrofitting the trains for another attempt at automated train service like what was tried on the L line.. ..

An express platform. On the abandon express track. Maybe at New Utrecht Ave.

I guess it could work if they do the same at Kings Highway, thus spreading the express stops evenly. But if the West End line with more stations doesn't use the express track other than for layups or for gos, then I can't see any justification for express stops on the Sea Beach line, as nice as that would be.

Archived