R33 ML 9206-07 repainted

R36 Preservation

9206-07 have been apparently repainted in silver/blue, as seen in a new photo uploaded on NYCSubway.org today. Is this a sign of a NYTM trip, revenue run or charter in the future with IRT SMEEs? 9202 and 9207 made their last appearance on a 6/20/09 trip, more than three years ago.

Several WF R33s & R36s were repainted red in 2008, but have faded to dull pink since.

This is old news, someone posted about this several weeks ago. Also there are no plans to run them on any trips any time soon. They are used as shop horses and one of the bosses wanted them repainted. That's it, so lets not start any rumors.

This is old news, someone posted about this several weeks ago. Also there are no plans to run them on any trips any time soon. They are used as shop horses and one of the bosses wanted them repainted. That's it, so lets not start any rumors.

To Be Honest If that was the Case they would have been Painted Yellow and Black in the front if they want em for work motors or shop horses, theres a BIG reason why they are repainting these cars, it doesn't make any sense to repaint museum equipment just to pull trains around the whole yard

To Be Honest If that was the Case they would have been Painted Yellow and Black in the front if they want em for work motors or shop horses, theres a BIG reason why they are repainting these cars, it doesn't make any sense to repaint museum equipment just to pull trains around the whole yard

But even if they are not for museum use, they could still use repainting, since they have been sitting around dirtying up.

TBH I actually hope a nostalgia event occurs. The overrated / over prices R1/9 & Low Voltage cars has got to be paused. Thats why the museum is losing money, same bull each year..... After hearing that last R1/9 trip only had about 15-20 people on board, thats a sign of bad news... Want some attraction? Bring in variety, or else a lot won't pay. You can ride it the R1/9 free every December, and Lo-Vs during Yankees Specials....... Even if the Redbirds are included within the TOMC, you still got the R12/R15/R17/R33 Non-GOHed, thats nostalgic enough... Or else bring something else out.......

But even if they are not for museum use, they could still use repainting, since they have been sitting around dirtying up.

TBH I actually hope a nostalgia event occurs. The overrated / over prices R1/9 & Low Voltage cars has got to be paused. Thats why the museum is losing money, same bull each year..... After hearing that last R1/9 trip only had about 15-20 people on board, thats a sign of bad news... Want some attraction? Bring in variety, or else a lot won't pay. You can ride it the R1/9 free every December, and Lo-Vs during Yankees Specials....... Even if the Redbirds are included within the TOMC, you still got the R12/R15/R17/R33 Non-GOHed, thats nostalgic enough... Or else bring something else out.......

Was turnout really that low? That's alarming, though I agree the trips need some spicing up...

N.B.: I've been unable to attend Museum trips for a while now; the fact that all trips were/are on Sundays this year didn't help either...

I love the R1/9s & the Low-Vs, I don't think the TM has seen a major lost of money. Any money lost could be due just to the plain "economy". Personally I think the redbirds are really too new to be going around the system like the R1/9s, but it would be nice to see them running more often. *Cough* Never know they might make a pop-up somewhere, in 2013. *Cough*

Was turnout really that low? That's alarming, though I agree the trips need some spicing up...

N.B.: I've been unable to attend Museum trips for a while now; the fact that all trips were/are on Sundays this year didn't help either...

If you mean the amount of people was that low, yes it was. A friend was on it and it was really light as he told me. Plus when it passed me at Grand Street, almost a lot of the folks were in the front, the other cars were light to none.

Or 2014 for the 110th Anniversary of the subway. But I'm also hoping for something to pop up in 2013 as well. :)

Don't forget CitiField hosts All-Star Game next summer, so look for something. We're trying to get something running on the (7) for that. 2014 also is the 50th anniversary of the World's Fair and some WF R33/R36s would be nice.

Good points. I don't expect an 11-car train like the one that ran for the 2008 final home opener of Shea stadium, but how about a 6 car train (the 4 museum cars + 1 redbird pair)? The Low V gets by with just a 4 car train every Yankees playoff home game since 2009...

I thought they used 10 cars for that train back in 2008 unless I missed something. You are right though about having a small train. There is a lot of redbirds around, although many of them need some serious TLC and some restoration work. If they were to ever use a redbird pair I would think they would use 9400-9401, though I'm not sure what the condition of that pair is at this time. While we are on the subject of the TOMC it makes me wonder if there is a future plan on using those former Money Train cars that are in the museum as part of the TOMC.

I thought they used 10 cars for that train back in 2008 unless I missed something. You are right though about having a small train. There is a lot of redbirds around, although many of them need some serious TLC and some restoration work. If they were to ever use a redbird pair I would think they would use 9400-9401, though I'm not sure what the condition of that pair is at this time. While we are on the subject of the TOMC it makes me wonder if there is a future plan on using those former Money Train cars that are in the museum as part of the TOMC.

Personally, I doubt it. Here's why:

1) Whenever the train pulls into a station, usually all of the doors open to allow as many people to board and/or leave the train, depending on the situation. The conductor has no control of these doors.

2) From watching the "Money Train" video at the Transit Museum several times, the way to open these doors is by pushing a button and then physically opening an closing the doors. IMHO, this would not be safe with regular passengers. (for those who have no clue of what I'm talking about, http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?77565)

3) While there are seats in IR 714 for the people to sit, there aren't any in OR 714 for the people to sit, nor anything safe for the people to hold on to while in between stations (http://nycsubway.org/perl/show?100784). Again, very unsafe.

I was on the Coney Island r1/9 fan trip and I'd estimate a minimum of 150 people on them. Just about every seat in the 5 cars was taken.

If you mean the amount of people was that low, yes it was. A friend was on it and it was really light as he told me. Plus when it passed me at Grand Street, almost a lot of the folks were in the front, the other cars were light to none.

There was a 3 hour break from the time the R1/9 arrived in coney island til the time it left.most riders didn't stick around for the return trip.

It was 11. 3 museum cars and 4 pairs of redbirds (2 pairs in silver-blue, 1 was the red/green?, and then there was the 'redfox').

Thanks for the pic OP. It's looking good. Future cars should follow the blue stripe idea. At least Blue canopies at the front of each car as how they have it in red on the IRT NTT's. The current R160s, they run like beasts which is a good thing. But it's cosmetic appearence leaves alot to be desired when compared to Path or the Metro-North with their new NTT's.

Archived