Have They Cut Rush Hour Lex Service over the Past Several Years?

BrooklynIRT

Does anyone know what is the % of the service guideline on that route? (for reference, the peak max load is supposed to be all seats + 3 sq ft per standee)

I consider myself lucky if I'm able to make it on the first train that comes into the station without having to run to either the first or last car.

Is this documented anywhere? The schedules indicate fewer than 30 TPH on the (6) and fewer than 30 TPH on the (4)(5)

(4) train runs every 5 minutes = 12tph

(5) train: Then service every 8-11 minutes at either Eastchester-Dyre Av or Nereid Av-E 238 St Stations and every 4-6 minutes between E 180 St and Franklin Av stations until:

Every 9.5 minutes = 6.3tph

Every 5 minutes = 12tph

Total (4)(5) = 30.3tph

(6) train: Then every 3-6 minutes from Pelham Bay Pk and every 2-5 minutes from Parkchester until:

Every 4.5 minutes = 13.3tph

Every 3.5 minutes = 17.1tph

Total (6) = 30.4tph

(4) train runs every 5 minutes = 12tph

(5) train: Then service every 8-11 minutes at either Eastchester-Dyre Av or Nereid Av-E 238 St Stations and every 4-6 minutes between E 180 St and Franklin Av stations until:

Every 9.5 minutes = 6.3tph

Every 5 minutes = 12tph

Total (4)(5) = 30.3tph

If the (5) runs every 4-6 minutes on the main segment, that means that the total is 12 tph, not 18. You're double counting.

Since the (4) runs a bit more than every 5 minutes (around every 4.5), the (4)(5) total is around 25-27 tph. That's probably how they manage to squeeze the (2) in when it's rerouted to Lex.

I have a feeling that if they ran the full 30 TPH on Lexington Av, the line would become even more of a conga line than it currently is, especially with all of the door holding.

A service increase, though, would theoretically reduce crowding (and thus door holding), but I don't know if it would be enough to outweigh the increased tendency for delays.

BTW, just from looking at the schedules, it would appear that no rush hour service cuts were made.

There probably were no cuts. Yesterday there were some serious delays (like some periods in which there were no (5) trains for 10-15 minutes) on the Lex line, but that was because a bunch of technical issues had occurred.

If the (5) runs every 4-6 minutes on the main segment, that means that the total is 12 tph, not 18. You're double counting.

Since the (4) runs a bit more than every 5 minutes (around every 4.5), the (4)(5) total is around 25-27 tph. That's probably how they manage to squeeze the (2) in when it's rerouted to Lex.

Also it may be easier to just enter a rush hour itinerary on MTA Trip Planner and click a link for a route's timetable. That gives you the exact times instead of the estimates that appear on the paper timetables. Count the number of intervals within a 1-hour period on the MTA Trip Planner timetable and you have the TPH figure.

There probably were no cuts. Yesterday there were some serious delays (like some periods in which there were no (5) trains for 10-15 minutes) on the Lex line, but that was because a bunch of technical issues occurred.

Yeah. Sometimes the MTA does crazy things, but I don't think they'd be looking to cut service on lines that are over capacity, especially when subway ridership has increased over the years.

A friend of mine used the (4)(5) at GCT to reach work Downtown five days a week, several years ago. He said that back then you never even had to think about when the train would show up, but says that he has had more issues with the (4) the few times that he has used it (during peak hours) to go to Midtown/Downtown over the past couple of years than he did years ago. He said that even the combined (4)(5) does not run like it used to (again, in both peak and off-peak hours).

I have had some similar experiences with weekday wait times that seem inordinately long (not just yesterday), like waiting 5-7 mins for any Lex EXP train to show up at 125 or 138. Maybe the line is just being taxed more since the ridership keeps increasing and [as a possible result] technical problems are becoming more prevalent. But this is all speculative.

A friend of mine used the (4)(5) at GCT to reach work Downtown five days a week, several years ago. He said that back then you never even had to think about when the train would show up, but says that he has had more issues with the (4) the few times that he has used it (during peak hours) to go to Midtown/Downtown over the past couple of years than he did years ago. He said that even the combined (4)(5) does not run like it used to (again, in both peak and off-peak hours).

I have had some similar experiences with weekday wait times that seem inordinately long (not just yesterday), like waiting 5-7 mins for any Lex EXP train to show up at 125 or 138. Maybe the line is just being taxed more since the ridership keeps increasing and [as a possible result] technical problems are becoming more prevalent. But this is all speculative.

Maybe the intervals have changed a bit due to the door holding and stuff from the increasing number of passengers making it look like there is less service while there's still the same amount of service.

I consider myself lucky if I'm able to make it on the first train that comes into the station without having to run to either the first or last car.

To give a sense of comparison, the average AM crush load (8AM-9AM) on the (L) before the service increase in June was 110% of the posted guideline. Would you call the Lex worse?

To give a sense of comparison, the average AM crush load (8AM-9AM) on the (L) before the service increase in June was 110% of the posted guideline. Would you call the Lex worse?

That L train is like a free for all at Bedford Avenue. Absolutely nuts. Another one is the E at rush hour. I hvae to be careful I don't get trampled over by the time its hit Lexington and then Fifth Avenue

Archived