Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

April 16th-19th

(C) trains run between Euclid Av and 125th St and via the (D) to/from 205th St days/evenings.

(D) trains run between Atlantic Av & Coney Island all times, and as a shuttle between 145th St & 205th St during overnight hours.

I wonder why they chose the (C) and not the (A) 

The other thing about not choosing the (A) is that, while you wouldn't have the (D) shuttle late nights with the (A) , trains are:

1. All coming from Far Rockaway

2. All local

I can't imagine any TO being too happy about that assignment. 207-Far Rock (and vice-versa) during the day alone is a pretty long trip. 205 (Bronx) - Far Rock, all local would be just plain torture. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

17 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

The other thing about not choosing the (A) is that, while you wouldn't have the (D) shuttle late nights with the (A) , trains are:

2. All local

I can't imagine any TO being too happy about that assignment. 207-Far Rock (and vice-versa) during the day alone is a pretty long trip. 205 (Bronx) - Far Rock, all local would be just plain torture. 

Sounds about right. Even when the (Q) was going to Astoria on weekends, they tried not running the (Q) via lower manhattan because it just made the line too long, kind of like the (R) to Jamaica-179 St.

in the case of the (A) and this GO, they would have had to run the night (A) service to Lefferts and have a shuttle run the Far Rockaway portion. This GO just goes to show how low ridership is on weekends now that the MTA can get away with running only two routes on Central Park west. Otherwise they would have ran the (D) from 205 St to World Trade Center or 2 Av

21 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

2. All local

Can't even Imaged if I bet myself to ride the (A) train to Norwood-205th Street to Far Rockaway,

<

I'm curious about the (C) going to Concourse after many years ngl. Brings back good 'ole <C> memories tho. Can't wait to ride a R179 (C) on Concourse. It's gonna be my pure godly experience as a railfanner. 

But jesus such a long route for the (A) is gonna cause me cancer if the MTA did this plan..

7 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Sounds about right. Even when the (Q) was going to Astoria on weekends, they tried not running the (Q) via lower manhattan because it just made the line too long, kind of like the (R) to Jamaica-179 St.

in the case of the (A) and this GO, they would have had to run the night (A) service to Lefferts and have a shuttle run the Far Rockaway portion. This GO just goes to show how low ridership is on weekends now that the MTA can get away with running only two routes on Central Park west. Otherwise they would have ran the (D) from 205 St to World Trade Center or 2 Av

The 2nd weekend of the G.O, WTC is not available as a terminal with the (E) ending at 2nd Avenue 

46 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How are (D) trains suppose to relay at 145th St while in the southbound direction?

Maybe relay at 125 St. Those tracks are available, but at this point, I would have just suspended the (D) train and done the following changes:

- Shuttle buses replace the (D) from 205 St to Bedford Park Blvd, and use the (4) for nearby stations in the Bronx

- For Central Park West, use the (A) or (C) (Not extended to 205 St)

- For 6 Av, use the rerouted (Q) via 6 Av so this way, Broadway and 6 Av each have two services ((N)(R) for Broadway and (F)(Q) for 6 Av).

- For 4 Av in Brooklyn and West End, reroute the (N) in one direction via West End, and keep the other direction via Sea Beach.

Edited by darkstar8983

37 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:
54 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

How are (D) trains suppose to relay at 145th St while in the southbound direction?

Maybe relay at 125 St. Those tracks are available, but at this point, I would have just suspended the (D) train and done the following changes:

- Shuttle buses replace the (D) from 205 St to Bedford Park Blvd, and use the (4) for nearby stations in the Bronx

- For 6 Av, use the rerouted (Q) via 6 Av so this way, Broadway and 6 Av each have two services ((N)(R) for Broadway and (F)(Q) for 6 Av).

- For 4 Av in Brooklyn and West End, reroute the (N) in one direction via West End, and keep the other direction via Sea Beach.

Wait huh? Aren't there X-switches just south of 145 St Lower Level, why would it go all the way to 125 St? 

58 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

IIRC there's no way to get from the SB local to the middle track at 145th St.

Umm you do realized that the (D) Train can relay at 145th Street. It was done several times when Central Park West was shutdown for incidents and it was even done during a weekend G.O when they were doing track replacement south of 145th Street back in 2002-2003.

12 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Do you think ridership would be enough that the (C) would run full length ?

3 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

Why suspend the (D) in the Bronx if the work is on the Manhattan Bridge?

1 hour ago, Eric B said:

They usually just run the (D) to 34th, so are they doing work on 6th Ave. those weekends?

In addition to the Bridge, 47th-50th to Columbus Circle is also closed off.

12 hours ago, Jacob said:

Can't even Imaged if I bet myself to ride the (A) train to Norwood-205th Street to Far Rockaway,

<

I'm curious about the (C) going to Concourse after many years ngl. Brings back good 'ole <C> memories tho. Can't wait to ride a R179 (C) on Concourse. It's gonna be my pure godly experience as a railfanner. 

But jesus such a long route for the (A) is gonna cause me cancer if the MTA did this plan..

I doubt they'll use 8 car R179's during this GO. It's going up concourse which has very heavy ridership meaning 100% full length trains. It'll likely be a mixure of R46's that the (C) uses now and R68/R68A's from the (B)(D) lines. Maybe they'll slip two or more full length R179's from the (A) (Hardly doubt it because it'll confuse (C) line crews).

Edited by R32 3838

6 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

I doubt they'll use 8 car R179's during this GO. It's going up concourse which has very heavy ridership meaning 100% full length trains. It'll likely be a mixure of R46's that the (C) uses now and R68/R68A's from the (B)(D) lines. Maybe they'll slip two or more full length R179's from the (A) (Hardly doubt it because it'll confuse (C) line crews).

But then again, this isn't a weekday, I live infront of Concourse, and on weekends, especially Sundays, the yard is still pretty full, in addition to the (B) and those 4 (4)'s there.

And to what you said about C crews, literally they could use A crews on those R179s. (my take)

Edited by R68ACTrain

7 hours ago, R68ACTrain said:

But then again, this isn't a weekday, I live infront of Concourse, and on weekends, especially Sundays, the yard is still pretty full, in addition to the (B) and those 4 (4)'s there.

And to what you said about C crews, literally they could use A crews on those R179s. (my take)

concourse gets packed no matter the day, on weekends the (D) gets crowded. This GO is likely gonna be (C)(D) crews. It's better to run 100% full length trains than to run mixed length. plus it's alot easier to use the R68's from concourse along with the pitkin r46's. 

(C) crews are used to operating R179's as 8 car trains. the only solution is to put 10 car papers on the dashboard if they borrow r179's from the (A)

22 hours ago, R32 3838 said:

Is there a major difference between the 8-car 179s vs the 10-car 179s , operational-wise ? 

3 hours ago, Maxwell179 said:

Is there a major difference between the 8-car 179s vs the 10-car 179s , operational-wise ? 

no, it's just TA is afraid of t/o's stopping at the wrong spot. this happened on the (G) a few years back where a t/o stopped at the 6 car mark and the c/r opened the doors when they were running full length R160's on the line.

On 3/27/2021 at 4:18 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

2. All local

Is 205-Far Rock the longest possible routing for a single train in the system?

18 minutes ago, mrsman said:

Is 205-Far Rock the longest possible routing for a single train in the system?

The current line from Inwood to Far Rockaway is about 32 miles. Norwood to Far Rockaway would be 35 miles. But Jamaica-179th Street to Far Rockaway would be almost 37 miles.

44 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

Norwood to Far Rockaway would be 35 miles. But Jamaica-179th Street to Far Rockaway would be almost 37 miles.

Are you sure about that? Because the old <C> between Bedford Park Blvd and Rockaway Park Route was actually longer than the old (E) route between Jamaica-179th Street and Rockaway Park by a couple of miles.