Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lance

@DJ Hammers: When this GO happened before, it was due to platform work on the IND platform of Fulton St, related to better connecting the Transit Center.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lance

Looking ahead for major service changes in the month of July (weekends only):

• (1) service truncated to 14 St (weekend of 7/20)
  • (2) service suspended between Nereid Av & 241 St (weekends of 7/20 & 7/27)
  • (2) and (3) trains run local in both directions (weekend of 7/6)
  • no (4) train service south of Brooklyn Bridge; (5) trains turn at Grand Central (weekend of 7/13)
  • (J) service is split, replaced by buses between Myrtle Av & Broadway Junction (starting weekend of 7/13 and continuing through mid-August)
  • (M) service suspended (replaced by buses weekends of 6/29 & 7/5; by split (J) service all other weekends through mid-August)
  • (N) and (Q) via Montague in both directions (weekends of 7/13 & 7/20) ( (Q) trains also run local in Manhattan)
  • (R) trains via Manhattan Bridge in both directions (weekend of 7/6)
  • (R) via 53rd St and 6th Ave in both directions (weekends of 7/13 & 7/20)

That is all. Of course, there are the usual line reroutes in one direction, express/local runs in one direction, etc. Just posting the big ones.

(R) via 53rd seems interesting... I wonder why they aren't it sending via the (F) line tunnel?

(N)/(Q) via the tunnel seems like another headache, I remember seeing posts how messed up service was when they last had that G.O.

Coney Island bound (F) trains are running via the (E) is occuring the same week when the (R) is rerouted via 53 St.

Edited by j express

Guest Lance

(R) via 53rd seems interesting... I wonder why they aren't it sending via the (F) line tunnel?

(N)/(Q) via the tunnel seems like another headache, I remember seeing posts how messed up service was when they last had that G.O.

Well, at least they aren't trying to send all three Broadway lines down Montague. I would've just sent the Q up 6th Ave, but apparently they want to keep the terminals the same for the affected lines.

Won't that clog IND 53rd Street

Probably, but not much can be done about it. It's either send the R via 53 St/6 Av or relegate it to a shuttle for the entire weekend.

Well, at least they aren't trying to send all three Broadway lines down Montague. I would've just sent the Q up 6th Ave, but apparently they want to keep the terminals the same for the affected lines.

Probably, but not much can be done about it. It's either send the R via 53 St/6 Av or relegate it to a shuttle for the entire weekend.

Relegating the  (R) to a shuttle for the weekend is unlikely to happen without really crowded trains imo. The QBL trains are often standing room only on weekends (especially during shopping hours), and taking away the  (R) would make things even worse.

Guest Lance

My point exactly. Unless they ran the E and/or F local in Queens or extended the M (not possible since the line will be suspended) or the G (not only unlikely but also not possible due to work in the Greenpoint tubes), there are few options.

The weekend with the (1) cut back, they cut it further to 34th street.

53rd street handles 21-22 TPH during the rush anyway, so it might not be as big or risky of a problem as sending the R through Montague. One signal problem there and service goes down the drain. The F is only going thru 53rd in one direction anyway.

53rd maintains the connection with the 6 and keeps service R running at Queens Plaza. What would the advantage be to running it via 63rd instead? It would avoid a switching move on 6th, but at weekend headways I don't think that's a major concern.

What happened the last time was the N/Q/R shared the Montague tunnel. That's why the R is running up 6th this time.

53rd maintains the connection with the 6 and keeps service R running at Queens Plaza. What would the advantage be to running it via 63rd instead? It would avoid a switching move on 6th, but at weekend headways I don't think that's a major concern.

What happened the last time was the N/Q/R shared the Montague tunnel. That's why the R is running up 6th this time.

The 53rd street tunnel hopefully will able to handle 3 trains going to manhattan the (E), Coney Island (F), and the (R) running along.

The 53rd street tunnel hopefully will able to handle 3 trains going to manhattan the (E), Coney Island (F), and the (R) running along.

The (E)  (F)  (R) running together is not a unsual sight. They run together due to snowbirds, G.O's , or unexpected services changes on the Queens Blvd line during the weekends.

Looking ahead for major service changes in the month of July (weekends only):

• (1) service truncated to 14 St (weekend of 7/20)
  • (2) service suspended between Nereid Av & 241 St (weekends of 7/20 & 7/27)
  • (2) and (3) trains run local in both directions (weekend of 7/6)
  • no (4) train service south of Brooklyn Bridge; (5) trains turn at Grand Central (weekend of 7/13)
  • (J) service is split, replaced by buses between Myrtle Av & Broadway Junction (starting weekend of 7/13 and continuing through mid-August)
  • (M) service suspended (replaced by buses weekends of 6/29 & 7/5; by split (J) service all other weekends through mid-August)
  • (N) and (Q) via Montague in both directions (weekends of 7/13 & 7/20) ( (Q) trains also run local in Manhattan)
  • (R) trains via Manhattan Bridge in both directions (weekend of 7/6)
  • (R) via 53rd St and 6th Ave in both directions (weekends of 7/13 & 7/20)

That is all. Of course, there are the usual line reroutes in one direction, express/local runs in one direction, etc. Just posting the big ones.

I hope there is a least one R42 running on the (J) at the Chambers St to Metro Av section.  I want to record a railfan view between Metro Av and Myrtle Av.

Here's a MASSIVE late night (1) GO planned for next week.

1.png No trains between 137 St and 242 St 

A.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Late Nights, 11:30 PM to 4 AM, Mon to Fri, Jul 8 - 12 

1.png Service operates between South Ferry and 137 St

shuttle_bus.png Broadway shuttle buses operate between 137 St and 242 St, stopping at 145157168
     181191Dyckman207215225231 and 238 Sts, connecting with the A.png at 207 St
shuttle_bus.png St Nicholas Av shuttle buses operate between 168 St and 191 St, stopping at 181 St

Surprised they're actually having the through shuttle bus stopping at 181 and 191. Note that its Dyckman and 207 St stops are at the (A) stations not (1) stations. To make things worse, downtown (1)(2) trains run express from 72 to 42, skipping 59 St.

What is the reason for this? I don't think much work can be done on such a long segment for only 4.5 hours including setup and takedown.

Edited by Amtrak7

Here's a MASSIVE late night (1) GO planned for next week.

Surprised they're actually having the through shuttle bus stopping at 181 and 191. Note that its Dyckman and 207 St stops are at the (A) stations not (1) stations. To make things worse, downtown (1)(2) trains run express from 72 to 42, skipping 59 St.

What is the reason for this? I don't think much work can be done on such a long segment for only 4.5 hours including setup and takedown.

Are they working on the switches at 168th?

Next weekend is crazy!

-(1) No service north of 137th

-(4)(5) Joralemon St Tunnel closure

-(N)(Q) via Montague

-(R) via 6 Av

-(G) Greenpoint Tube closure

-(J) to Metropolitan Av, buses Myrtle-Bway Jct

Add to that the triathalon...

Due to the problems with the R160s on the (C) the (C) MAY end up suspended this weekend while they figure out what to do with the whole swap situation. Chances are after this weekend the usual (A)(C) swap may go into effect.

Everybody is happy about the (J) to Metropolitan Av. They want to see a R32 go via the Myrtle Av line.

That might not happen... 32s may go to the (A) after this weekend. Hell chances are you might not even see a 42, if the (A)(C) swap happens the (A) will likely need 1 or more 10-car 42 trains.

Edited by Orion VII 4 Life

Not. Again.

With the (R) via 6 Av hopefully it won't be as painful. And once two weekends of that service pattern have passed, the  (R) won't be back to the Montague on a weekend until the tunnel can handle it. ;)

Edited by Amtrak7

I thought about that, but I don't think this will be a problem. 6TPH on the F and the R and I think, weekend max 8TPH on the E? 

That's 20 TPH, meanwhile, rush hour AM the E runs 15 tph and the M runs 8 or 9, making for 23-24 tph going through 53rd each and every weekday, Usually without much strife. 

The (E)  (F)  (R) running together is not a unsual sight. They run together due to snowbirds, G.O's , or unexpected services changes on the Queens Blvd line during the weekends.

That's true, they often run together local or express along a section of Queens Blvd, but they rarely share trackage in manhattan.