Planned Subway Service Changes

An interesting G.O. on the (4) next weekend:

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
(4) No trains between Woodlawn and Kingsbridge Rd

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Nov 18 - 19

(4) service operates between Kingsbridge Rd and New Lots Av.

Buses operate between Woodlawn and Kingsbridge Rd, stopping at Mosholu Pkwy 
and Bedford Pk Blvd.

• Transfer between (4) trains and buses at Kingsbridge Rd.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

An interesting G.O. on the (4) next weekend:

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
(4) No trains between Woodlawn and Kingsbridge Rd

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Nov 18 - 19

(4) service operates between Kingsbridge Rd and New Lots Av.

Buses operate between Woodlawn and Kingsbridge Rd, stopping at Mosholu Pkwy 
and Bedford Pk Blvd.

• Transfer between (4) trains and buses at Kingsbridge Rd.

I would've shut the whole Jerome line down that weekend. 16 minute skeleton service headways and a short turn to boot does no good for such a high ridership segment.

In fact, every weekend there's a 16 minute supplement I'd much rather see the whole thing shut down... and mind you, I live right down the street from the (4) line.

12 hours ago, paulrivera said:

I would've shut the whole Jerome line down that weekend. 16 minute skeleton service headways and a short turn to boot does no good for such a high ridership segment.

In fact, every weekend there's a 16 minute supplement I'd much rather see the whole thing shut down... and mind you, I live right down the street from the (4) line.

Agreed. However, the (4) will already be borrowing trains for that weekend since it'll be split. Cutting service along Jerome would mean that the (4) would have to borrow a lot more trains, which wouldn't be too ideal.

I also just noticed that for the next two weekends (18-19 and 25-26) while the uptown (4) is running express from 149th Street to Burnside Avenue, the uptown (D) is also running express from 167th Street to Fordham Road.

Can't imagine people will be too pleased that there'll be no direct uptown service from any of those local stations... Kinda weird that they're doing both at the same time as well.

On 11/12/2017 at 8:00 AM, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

I also just noticed that for the next two weekends (18-19 and 25-26) while the uptown (4) is running express from 149th Street to Burnside Avenue, the uptown (D) is also running express from 167th Street to Fordham Road.

Can't imagine people will be too pleased that there'll be no direct uptown service from any of those local stations... Kinda weird that they're doing both at the same time as well.

MTA, going (past) your way!

23 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Someone please explain to me;

When the (2) or (5) is running Bronx Express between East 180th St & Dyre Av, why do trains not stop at Pelham Pkwy?

Possibly for the same reason they don't allow non (1) or (3) trains to stop at South Ferry or 145 Street respectively, route unfamiliarity. Also, I don't believe there are conductor's boards facing the express tracks at Pelham Parkway and the days of eyeballing the stop position have long since passed.

On 11/15/2017 at 5:07 PM, Lance said:

Possibly for the same reason they don't allow non (1) or (3) trains to stop at South Ferry or 145 Street respectively, route unfamiliarity. Also, I don't believe there are conductor's boards facing the express tracks at Pelham Parkway and the days of eyeballing the stop position have long since passed.

But it is the same line, just on a different track. I can think of multiple instances where something happened on the local track that would have been easily avoided if there were express tracks.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

An interesting one coming up this weekend:

No (A) trains between Broad Channel and Far Rockawat-Mott Avenue.

(A) trains replace the (S) between Broad Channel and Rockaway Park-Beach 116th St.

Rockaway Park (S) : No Trains running, take the (A) .

That has occurred before, but it’s been some time since we’ve seen that service change.

7 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

What is this about?

(F) Additional service operates between 179 St and 2 Av 

Weekends, 9 AM to 7 PM, Saturday, Dec 9 and 16
                   11 AM to 6 PM, Sunday, Dec 10 and 17

Transfer at 2 Av to continue your trip.

Might be to add extra service on 6th Avenue, as Bronx bound (D) trains are running on the (A) that weekend

8 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

What is this about?

(F) Additional service operates between 179 St and 2 Av 

Weekends, 9 AM to 7 PM, Saturday, Dec 9 and 16
                   11 AM to 6 PM, Sunday, Dec 10 and 17

Transfer at 2 Av to continue your trip.

Sounds like Xmas specials to me. Or it could be to replace (D) service as stated above my reply.

2 minutes ago, MysteriousBtrain said:

Sounds like Xmas specials to me. Or it could be to replace (D) service as stated above my reply.

Nope they run extra (E)(F) and (Q) Trains during the Holiday weekends in December to accommodate riders and holiday shoppers every year. Last year they ran extra (C) though on the first weekend of the Holiday weekends instead of extra (E) and (F) Trains due to a G.O on Queens Blvd.

13 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Nope they run extra (E)(F) and (Q) Trains during the Holiday weekends in December to accommodate riders and holiday shoppers every year. Last year they ran extra (C) though on the first weekend of the Holiday weekends instead of extra (E) and (F) Trains due to a G.O on Queens Blvd.

Ugh. Why can't us Culver riders get some love... 

Next month:

(A) No service to Mott Av; Trains run to Rockaway Park and replace the (S): Dec 2-4, 9-11, 16-18

-No Service north of 168 St: Dec 9-11, 16-18

(C) No service north of 145 St, northbound service runs express: Dec 9-10, 16-17

(D) Northbound service runs via 8 Av/CPW local: Dec 9-11, 16-18

(E)(F) Service runs local in Queens until 9:30 AM and resumes at 10:30PM: Dec: 9-11

(F) No service south of Church Av: Dec 2-4

-Additional service runs between 179 St and 2 Av: Dec 9-10, 16-17

(G) Split service at Bedford-Nostrand Avs; No service south of Hoyt-Schermerhorn: Dec 2-4

-No service north of Bedford-Nostrand Avs: 16-18

(J) No service east of Crescent St: Dec 2-3, 16-18 (Note: the weekend of the 16-18, the GO starts 3:45 AM Saturday and ends on 5:00 AM Monday)

(M) Shuttle service only: Dec 2-3, 9-10

-No shuttle service: Dec 16-18

(N) Service runs local in Brooklyn: Dec 2-4

-Late night service runs via Manhattan Bridge, both directions: Dec 16-18

(R) No service south of 36 St, no late night service: Dec 2-4

- Operates via Manhattan Bridge, both directions/No late night service between Whitehall and Atlantic Av: Dec 16-18

Another interesting G.O. coming early next month (at least one that I don't recall seeing for a long time):

SIGNAL MAINTENANCE
(D) No trains between 145 St and 205 St

(4) Trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Dec 1 - 4

(D) service operates between Stillwell and 145 St.

Buses operate in two sections:
  1. Between 145 St and 161 St, stopping at 155 St.
  2. Non-stop between Bedford Park Blvd (4) and 205 St. 

Travel Alternatives:

For the Bronx, take the (4) instead. 
• Transfer between (D) trains and buses at 145 St.
• Transfer between buses and (4) trains at 161 St.

From Midtown, transfer at 42 St-Bryant Pk (5 Av) for the (7) to Grand Central where (4) service is available.

45 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

Another interesting G.O. coming early next month (at least one that I don't recall seeing for a long time):

SIGNAL MAINTENANCE
(D) No trains between 145 St and 205 St

(4) Trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 
Weekend, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Dec 1 - 4

(D) service operates between Stillwell and 145 St.

Buses operate in two sections:
  1. Between 145 St and 161 St, stopping at 155 St.
  2. Non-stop between Bedford Park Blvd (4) and 205 St. 

Travel Alternatives:

For the Bronx, take the (4) instead. 
• Transfer between (D) trains and buses at 145 St.
• Transfer between buses and (4) trains at 161 St.

From Midtown, transfer at 42 St-Bryant Pk (5 Av) for the (7) to Grand Central where (4) service is available.

Please tell me they aren't going to put in that crappy 16 minute headway again on the (4) and split the line at Grand Concourse or 125th...

Edited by R68OnBroadway

12 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

Please tell me they aren't going to put in that crappy 16 minute headway again on the (4) and split the line at Grand Concourse or 125th...

That G.O was canceled for the weekend to provide alternatives. 

@LegoBrickBreaker101 I remember they did that G.O once back in 2003 during the time it only ran to 34th Street. The work had to do with some major work with the tracks and switches and Bedford and 205th Street.

Edited by Daniel The Cool