Planned Subway Service Changes

The information that you received obviously turned out to be false. As mentioned above, the person who told you this may have been wrong for whatever reason. It could be possible that there will be a couple of weekends/late nights where the line is closed for some finalization work. Emergency priority repairs are not uncommon and could be where the potential miscommunication occurred. I'm just spit-balling here.

As for information posted here, you're absolutely right in that some of it does come from MTA employees either posting here on their own or through secondary sources. That is why it must always be taken with a grain of salt and not with any certainty.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lance said:

The information that you received obviously turned out to be false. As mentioned above, the person who told you this may have been wrong for whatever reason. It could be possible that there will be a couple of weekends/late nights where the line is closed for some finalization work. Emergency priority repairs are not uncommon and could be where the potential miscommunication occurred. I'm just spit-balling here.

As for information posted here, you're absolutely right in that some of it does come from MTA employees either posting here on their own or through secondary sources. That is why it must always be taken with a grain of salt and not with any certainty.

Thank you! I'm not saying my info was going to turn out to be true, I'm just mad at how people on here argue with each other for no reason.

This (A)(C) weekend work has been a DISASTER. The (MTA) has been posting for a few weeks now how the (C) would terminate at 145th street, and the (A) would make stops at 135th and 155th. Well that information has been inaccurate to say the least. Only some (A) trains are making those stops forcing lots of people to have to backtrack or wait long periods of time for a train. At 59th street uptown, they had an (A) come in Southbound on the Northbound track, discharge all passengers and then sit there. People had no idea what was going on. Finally several minutes later an announcement is made that the train was going towards 207th street again. Horrible communication all around. The (D) train was also a mess. Trains were delayed and PACKED like rush hour as were the (A) trains. It seems like they just can't get it together on weekends, even with planned schedules. It took me over an hour and 10 minutes to get from Midtown to Uptown. 15 minutes waiting for a (D) that was supposedly running every 8 minutes and then the wait for the (A) and the crawling from around 103rd to 125th. Platforms were packed as people realized there was no (C) at some stations and the (A) trains were bunching like crazy. I also didn't understand why the (D) was running local from 59th street instead of express. This is not mentioned in the status page anywhere.

Peoples' frustrations were evident. One lady got into a shouting match with this performer because she decided to start up her routine which the lady didn't want to hear but was forced to because the doors are locked and she purposely waited for the doors to close to do her routine. It was the first time I've ever seen any performer confronted like that. I seriously thought a fight would break out. The only thing that stopped it was the lady's friend stepped in to calm her down. So much for the police patrolling. In the next car, there were more performers doing the same thing.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

10 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This (A)(C) weekend work has been a DISASTER. The (MTA) has been posting for a few weeks now how the (C) would terminate at 145th street, and the (A) would make stops at 135th and 155th. Well that information has been inaccurate to say the least. Only some (A) trains are making those stops forcing lots of people to have to backtrack or wait long periods of time for a train. At 59th street uptown, they had an (A) come in Southbound on the Northbound track, discharge all passengers and then sit there. People had no idea what was going on. Finally several minutes later an announcement is made that the train was going towards 207th street again. Horrible communication all around. The (D) train was also a mess. Trains were delayed and PACKED like rush hour as were the (A) trains. It seems like they just can't get it together on weekends, even with planned schedules. It took me over an hour and 10 minutes to get from Midtown to Uptown. 15 minutes waiting for a (D) that was supposedly running every 8 minutes and then the wait for the (A) and the crawling from around 103rd to 125th. Platforms were packed as people realized there was no (C) at some stations and the (A) trains were bunching like crazy. I also didn't understand why the (D) was running local from 59th street instead of express. This is not mentioned in the status page anywhere.

Peoples' frustrations were evident. One lady got into a shouting match with this performer because she decided to start up her routine which the lady didn't want to hear but was forced to because the doors are locked and she purposely waited for the doors to close to do her routine. It was the first time I've ever seen any performer confronted like that. I seriously thought a fight would break out. The only thing that stopped it was the lady's friend stepped in to calm her down. So much for the police patrolling. In the next car, there were more performers doing the same thing.

The (A) and (C) are so unreliable during the weekends that its better to take the (1) (which was out this weekend north of 137th) or hop on the M5, M7, M10, M104 or M11 for upper Manhattan.

3 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

The (A) and (C) are so unreliable during the weekends that its better to take the (1) (which was out this weekend north of 137th) or hop on the M5, M7, M10, M104 or M11 for upper Manhattan.

The (C) leaves me literally steps from where I need to be. The (1) is too far of a walk, but this is ridiculous. If they're only going to have select (A)  trains make those (C) stops, they should say so on the status page. So much chaos and confusion with people running from train to train, especially at 59th street. I've never seen an (A) train essentially short-turn at 59th street on the Northbound track. 

Same thing last weekend. (A) trains in some cases skipped those stops with no announcement. Today the guy kept saying no (C) service. Take the (A) without mentioning that the (A) was actually making those local stops. His train went express to 168th. The train after that ran local. They've been doing that in both directions.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The (C) leaves me literally steps from where I need to be. The (1) is too far of a walk, but this is ridiculous. If they're only going to have select (A) make those (C) stops they should say so on the status page. Do much chaos and confusion with people running from train to train, especially at 59th street. I've never seen an (A) train essentially short-turn at 59th street on the Northbound track. 

The (A) always has some random relay which ends up sitting there. Once I decided to take the (A) from JFK and just missed a train. 2 mins later a southbound (A) stops and terminates across the platform and just sits there. It wasn't until 15 minutes later that a northbound came. My guess is that the bridge opened, but that (A) across the platform fumigated and sat there for so long that it drove me nuts why it couldn't just turn around or at least relay already. Rockaway headways were probably 30-45 mins thanks to that train.

Edited by R68OnBroadway

According to the MTA.info , there will be no N trains in queens for six weekends starting May 19 and lasting through July 1 except the weekend of the 23rd-24th

N trains operate between Stillwell Ave and Queensboro plaza. Free shuttle buses provide alternate service to ditmars blvd.

Edited by Far rockaway

2 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Is r trains extended to 179th street this weekend because on under where the f train is running express to 71st ave it says the r.

Oh yeah, huh. http://travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadvisory/routeStatusResult.aspx?tag=F&date=05/13/2018&time=&method=getstatus4

TRACK REPLACEMENT | 11:45 PM Fri, May 11 to 5 AM Mon, May 14
(F) Manhattan-bound trains skip Sutphin Blvd, Briarwood and 75 Av 

For service to Sutphin Blvd, take the (F) to Union Tpke and transfer to a Jamaica-bound (F) or (R) *.  

For service to Briarwood and 75 Av, take the (F) to Union Tpke or 71 Av 
and transfer to a Jamaica Center-bound (E) , Jamaica-bound (F) or (R) .   

For service from Sutphin Blvd and Briarwood, take the (F) or (R) to Parsons Blvd 
and transfer to a Brooklyn-bound (F)  .

For service from 75 Av, take the  (E)(F) or (R) to Union Tpke and transfer to a 
Brooklyn-bound (F)

There's nothing about the R being extended during this time, and Trip Planner doesn't know anything about it... 

Here's a small twist in the usual Queens Blvd one-way express service change:

TRACK REPLACEMENT | May 14 - 18, Mon to Fri, from 9:45 PM to 5 AM
(E) World Trade Center-bound trains skip Briarwood

TRACK MAINTENANCE | May 14 - 18, Mon to Fri, from 11 PM to 5 AM
(E) World Trade Center-bound trains run express from 71 Av to Queens Plaza

TRACK REPLACEMENT | May 14 - 18, Mon to Fri, from 9:45 PM to 5 AM
(F) Coney Island-bound trains skip Sutphin Blvd and Briarwood

For those who aren't seeing it, all Manhattan-bound service is express-only from Parsons Blvd to Union Turnpike and 71 Avenue to Queens Plaza. While it's nice that 75 Avenue retains its Manhattan-bound service during this service change, I imagine all that weaving between the express and local tracks slows down the line more than a straight-shot express run all the way to Queens Plaza. I understand why they're keeping normal service there as there is probably nothing happening at that station. It just stood out to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, there's an emergency GO in place on the Culver line, suspending all service between Church Av and Coney Island.

EMERGENCY REPAIRS | May 23, Wednesday, 9:30 AM to 3:30 PM
No (F) trains between Church Av and Stillwell Av in Brooklyn

It'd really be nice to know what kind of emergency warrants this kind of work on such a short notice.

8 minutes ago, Lance said:

Apparently, there's an emergency GO in place on the Culver line, suspending all service between Church Av and Coney Island.

It'd really be nice to know what kind of emergency warrants this kind of work on such a short notice.

There has been ongoing signal problems at Neptune Avenue this week and I think last week too (first on Sunday, and then it persisted at certain periods of the day following). Yesterday that was an issue throughout the day. I don't know if that's a sign of something, but perhaps that's the case. 

23 minutes ago, Lance said:

Keep in mind the last "last minute" service change that was similar is the (m) . Both occurred after Andy Byford became president. Maybe it had something to do with him, but it can be other things too.

8 hours ago, Lance said:

Heard from a reliable friend that it's a broken frog at 18th Avenue. I'd assume B1/B3 switch, as that hasn't been used since the (F) to 18 GO a few weeks back. Why they're fixing it now though is mystifying. 

13 hours ago, Lance said:

It wasn't really a last minute decision. It was originally supposed to be last Thursday but due to the inclement weather rainstorm, they proposed it which was even on their twitter when it was first posted last week.

19 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

It wasn't really a last minute decision. It was originally supposed to be last Thursday but due to the inclement weather rainstorm, they proposed it which was even on their twitter when it was first posted last week.

Not at all. This was an emergency GO that was scheduled on Tuesday for emergency frog repair. 

If it was supposed to be for last Thursday and got rained out, the nature of the issue would have necessitated rescheduling for the next immediate available time window. We wouldn't have waited half a week.

7 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Not at all. This was an emergency GO that was scheduled on Tuesday for emergency frog repair. 

If it was supposed to be for last Thursday and got rained out, the nature of the issue would have necessitated rescheduling for the next immediate available time window. We wouldn't have waited half a week.

Thank you for the CORRECT info.

13 hours ago, Dj Hammers said:

Nope you're wrong. It was originally for last Thursday May 17th. Here's the ORIGINAL date in this link which proves it

https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/996740621275721728

And in this follow up it exactly says

Tomorrow's planned work affecting the F and G lines has been postponed due to the weather. F and G trains will make normal stops. The work needed requires the use of a crane, which we cannot operate in inclement weather. The work will be rescheduled as soon as possible

Link to source

https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/996886448547778563

Edited by Daniel The Cool

2 hours ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Nope you're wrong. It was originally for last Thursday May 17th. Here's the ORIGINAL date in this link which proves it

https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/996740621275721728

And in this follow up it exactly says

Link to source

https://twitter.com/NYCTSubway/status/996886448547778563

I wouldn't be so hasty in throwing "you're wrong" out. There's a reason why I said what I said, considering the fact that I've looked directly at the plans for all of this emergency work..

There were two frogs that needed work, one at Ditmas and one at 18th Avenue. The one at 18th Avenue ended up being fixed under traffic (The one that originally was going to be done with an emergency GO on the 16th). Originally, it was thought that the whole frog would need to be replaced. It was found that the frog could be repaired instead of replaced.

Obviously, it's not like the Twitter account would announce that the "work that was going to be done at an undetermined time" would not need to be done with a GO after all. Nobody is paying that close attention anyway, well, most people.

The work at Ditmas on the 23rd was a completely separate issue. The need to do the work at Ditmas just happened to be identified right after the work at 18th Ave had been completed (Under traffic).

Edited by Dj Hammers