Planned Subway Service Changes

6 minutes ago, Dj Hammers said:

I wouldn't be so hasty in throwing "you're wrong" out. There's a reason why I said what I said, considering the fact that I've looked directly at the plans for all of this emergency work..

There were two frogs that needed work, one at Ditmas and one at 18th Avenue. The one at 18th Avenue ended up being fixed under traffic (The one that originally was going to be done with an emergency GO on the 16th). Originally, it was thought that the whole frog would need to be replaced. It was found that the frog could be repaired instead of replaced.

Obviously, it's not like the Twitter account would announce that the "work that was going to be done at an undetermined time" would not need to be done with a GO after all. Nobody is paying that close attention anyway, well, most people.

The work at Ditmas on the 23rd was a completely separate issue. The need to do the work at Ditmas just happened to be identified right after the work at 18th Ave had been completed (Under traffic).

You know I don't believe you because if that was the case, you would've said that in your first response and not until after I posted the link that ended proving there was work originally scheduled for the 17th as well as saying there was no work planned for the 17th. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

You know I don't believe you because if that was the case, you would've said that in your first response and not until after I posted the link that ended proving there was work originally scheduled for the 17th as well as saying there was no work planned for the 17th. 

Hey, you can believe whatever you want - I don't think its a worthy use of time to argue over the nuances of how emergency MOW work is scheduled and communicated. I thought it would be nice to provide some clarity on what actually happened for those who may have appreciated the additional information. Unfortunately, I guess that comes with a nice dose of accusatory harassment on the side. Sorry, I guess(?)

My response was in regards to the work being done on the 23rd. Obviously, I could have mentioned that there was indeed postponed work that was scheduled for the 16th that could have been (mistakenly) construed as completed on the 23rd, but that wasn't really relevant to the conversation. Why would I mention the details about work that was done the week before if the focus of the conversation was on this week's emergency GO?

Furthermore, to my original point, if the work at 18th Ave did turn out to need to be done with a GO, an emergency GO would have been scheduled for the earliest moment possible with no precipitation, not the Wednesday of next week.

Edited by Dj Hammers

On 5/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, Dj Hammers said:

Not at all. This was an emergency GO that was scheduled on Tuesday for emergency frog repair.

If it was supposed to be for last Thursday and got rained out, the nature of the issue would have necessitated rescheduling for the next immediate available time window. We wouldn't have waited half a week.

Right.  And it was raining for that entire period (Preakness week at Pimlico was an absolute mess).  

On 5/25/2018 at 4:12 PM, Dj Hammers said:

Hey, you can believe whatever you want - I don't think its a worthy use of time to argue over the nuances of how emergency MOW work is scheduled and communicated. I thought it would be nice to provide some clarity on what actually happened for those who may have appreciated the additional information. Unfortunately, I guess that comes with a nice dose of accusatory harassment on the side. Sorry, I guess(?)

My response was in regards to the work being done on the 23rd. Obviously, I could have mentioned that there was indeed postponed work that was scheduled for the 16th that could have been (mistakenly) construed as completed on the 23rd, but that wasn't really relevant to the conversation. Why would I mention the details about work that was done the week before if the focus of the conversation was on this week's emergency GO?

Furthermore, to my original point, if the work at 18th Ave did turn out to need to be done with a GO, an emergency GO would have been scheduled for the earliest moment possible with no precipitation, not the Wednesday of next week.

Perfect explanation from someone who actually knows what they are talking about and knows what really goes on behind the scenes unlike some of the people here. 

52 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Who's idiotic idea was it to have both the (A) and the (1) be out between 137th ST/168th St and their normal terminals?

The (A) is fine. The issue is traffic is HORRENDOUS getting over the Broadway Bridge. I can't believe I am still on this BxM1 bus. I got on at 61st and 3rd after 12:30. We've been in Inwood now for almost 30 minutes crawling to get over the Bridge. I have Whole Foods bags otherwise I would get out and walk and get an Uber. There's apparently just ONE lane to get over the bridge Northbound. Incredibly stupid, knowing that there would be more traffic with the (1) train out up here. I don't know what they're doing with the shuttle buses because they can't get up to 242nd at all with all of this traffic. No Bx7s either. People are just walking over the bridge as I'm typing this.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

4 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

Shocked nobody mentioned the (N) terminating at Bay Parkway on the West End G.O, that's a interesting and different G.O.

I saw it, but didn't think of mentioning it. It benefits some West End riders because the (D) can take up to 30 minutes to arrive on weekends although it's scheduled for 8-10. TBH more rolling stock should go there for more trains even if this isn't the problem.

1 hour ago, KK 6 Ave Local said:

I saw it, but didn't think of mentioning it. It benefits some West End riders because the (D) can take up to 30 minutes to arrive on weekends although it's scheduled for 8-10. TBH more rolling stock should go there for more trains even if this isn't the problem.

The (D) gets flagged to sh*t on CPW, and then f*cked by poor practices at Dekalb. Really unless we reform ATF standards, whether that be with track barriers or new rules, none of this will get better. The only immediate positive change we can make at this point would be gap trains, which'd at least preserve headways during these disruptions. 

5 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The (D) gets flagged to sh*t on CPW, and then f*cked by poor practices at Dekalb. Really unless we reform ATF standards, whether that be with track barriers or new rules, none of this will get better. The only immediate positive change we can make at this point would be gap trains, which'd at least preserve headways during these disruptions. 

On lines like 4th with curtain walls between the express and local tracks, why can't they set up temporary barriers for the cutouts and allow passing trains to run at 25 mph considering that they will not be a danger to workers?

9 minutes ago, R68OnBroadway said:

On lines like 4th with curtain walls between the express and local tracks, why can't they set up temporary barriers for the cutouts and allow passing trains to run at 25 mph considering that they will not be a danger to workers?

Indeed, why can't they? 

After decades of myopia, we seem to finally be answering that question. See page 45. 

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/180521_1245_Finance.pdf

On 6/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, RR503 said:

Indeed, why can't they? 

After decades of myopia, we seem to finally be answering that question. See page 45. 

http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/180521_1245_Finance.pdf

Now nobody can complain—except for the bean counters.

This contract for the purchase of2,000 ft. of a Magnetic Safety Barrier System ("system") that will consist of magnetic clips, vertical upright supports and horizontal reflective, non-conductive fiberglass poles was conducted utilizing E.O. 168. Due to the increased volume of track work necessitated by the Subway Action Plan, innovative ways to improve both worker safety and system efficiency were explored. Use of a barrier system, which was under consideration by the Safety Technology Workforce, received favorable reviews following field demonstrations.

This system will be installed on various track construction projects in the subway environment and is designed to prevent personnel from inadvertently entering onto a live adjacent track, yet allow immediate egress if a worker needs to clear the work site quickly. The system is  designed to easily disengage by pushing or pulling the horizontal poles away from the magnetic clips.

Here's some planned weekend service changes for the rest of June

E trains are running over the F line in both directions between 21st Queensbridge and W4th Street 6/16-6/17,6/23-6/24

No 4 trains between Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and Utica Ave. 3 trains Replace 4 trains between Franklin Ave and Utica Ave 6/30-7/1

No 5 trains between Grand Central 42nd Street and Bowling Green. Service Operates Every 20 minutes between E180th Street and Grand Central 42nd Street

Bay-Ridge Bound R trains run express between Forest hills 71st Ave and Queens Plaza 6/30-7/1, 7/7-7/8

No G trains between Bedford Nostrand Ave and Court Square. Free shuttle buses provide alternate service 6/30-7/1, 7/7-7/8

Planned Work 
TRACK MAINTENANCE | 10 PM Fri, Jun 15 to 5 AM Mon, Jun 18
(A)   Trains make local stops in both directions at Liberty Av, Van Siclen Av and Shepherd Av in Queens

That's interesting

Planned Work 
SIGNAL MODERNIZATION | 11:45 PM Fri, Jun 15 to 5 AM Mon Jun 18
No (2) trains between Dyre Av and E 180 St in the Bronx 

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

(2) service operates between E 180 St and South Ferry. 

Buses make all stops between E 180 St and Dyre Av.

• Transfer between trains and  buses at E 180 St.

Show Shuttle Bus Stops 

Are there no (5) trains this weekend?

Interesting upcoming G.Os for the IRT.

TRACK REPLACEMENT | Jul 17 - 20, Tue to Fri, from 9:30 PM to 5 AM
No (2) trains between 135 St, Manhattan and 3 Av-149 St, the Bronx

(2) service operates in two sections: 
  1. Between Flatbush Av and 135 St and via the (3) to/from 148 St, the last stop 
      • Trains skip 145 St in both directions.
  2. Between 3 Av-149 St and 241 St
      • Downtown trains skip Jackson Av.

Buses operate between 135 St and Jackson Av, stopping at 145 St, 149 St-Grand Concourse and
3 Av-149 St.

• Transfer between trains and buses at 135 St, 149 St-Grand Concourse and/or 3 Av-149 St.

STATION ENHANCEMENTS | 11:45 PM Fri, Jul 20 to 5 AM Mon, Jul 23
No (3) trains between 96 St and 148 St in Manhattan 
No (3) trains running overnight 

(2) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 

(3) service operates between New Lots Av and 96 St and via the (1) to/from 137 St, days & evenings.  

Travel Alternatives:    
(2) trains make all (3) stops between 135 St, Manhattan and Franklin Av, Brooklyn.  

buses operate all weekend between 148 St and 135 St, stopping at 145 St.
  • Transfer between buses and (2) trains at 135 St. 

They've done these GOs before, in one form or another. (2) trains have run to 148 St-Lenox Terminal many times when the 149th Street tunnels were out of service. Also, late night (3) train service has been suspended when another line is making "all" Lenox Ave stops. We've seen this with the split (1) service a few months ago when service from South Ferry was rerouted to 148 Street and overnight (3) service suspended. They even brought back the shuttle buses for 145 Street.

On 6/22/2018 at 9:23 AM, Lance said:

They've done these GOs before, in one form or another. (2) trains have run to 148 St-Lenox Terminal many times when the 149th Street tunnels were out of service. Also, late night (3) train service has been suspended when another line is making "all" Lenox Ave stops. We've seen this with the split (1) service a few months ago when service from South Ferry was rerouted to 148 Street and overnight (3) service suspended. They even brought back the shuttle buses for 145 Street.

They need to train all crews to open and close 145 so it isn't necessary to skip that station.  I would do that and remind people for 145 you have to be in the first five cars.

On 6/22/2018 at 2:41 AM, Daniel The Cool said:

Interesting upcoming G.Os for the IRT.

TRACK REPLACEMENT | Jul 17 - 20, Tue to Fri, from 9:30 PM to 5 AM
No (2) trains between 135 St, Manhattan and 3 Av-149 St, the Bronx

(2) service operates in two sections: 
  1. Between Flatbush Av and 135 St and via the (3) to/from 148 St, the last stop 
      • Trains skip 145 St in both directions.
  2. Between 3 Av-149 St and 241 St
      • Downtown trains skip Jackson Av.

Buses operate between 135 St and Jackson Av, stopping at 145 St, 149 St-Grand Concourse and
3 Av-149 St.

• Transfer between trains and buses at 135 St, 149 St-Grand Concourse and/or 3 Av-149 St.

STATION ENHANCEMENTS | 11:45 PM Fri, Jul 20 to 5 AM Mon, Jul 23
No (3) trains between 96 St and 148 St in Manhattan 
No (3) trains running overnight 

(2) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service 

(3) service operates between New Lots Av and 96 St and via the (1) to/from 137 St, days & evenings.  

Travel Alternatives:    
(2) trains make all (3) stops between 135 St, Manhattan and Franklin Av, Brooklyn.  

buses operate all weekend between 148 St and 135 St, stopping at 145 St.
  • Transfer between buses and (2) trains at 135 St. 

I think now they're doing this because the (2) has to run every 8 minutes weekends, and therefore needs a stable terminal, while the (3) runs as a supplement (every 12 minutes) and could get by with a temporary terminus. There is also a limitation as to how many trains can turn at 148 St, stemming from the fact that 145 St is the preceding station and has that rule about any train that is not the (3) bypass it because of its door-opening procedures.