Planned Subway Service Changes

VG8 is going to love getting empty (1) trains (the put-ins that normally start at 238) during rush hour, and railfans are going to love being able to enter 238 Street on the uptown side.

STAIRWAY REPLACEMENT | Beginning 5 AM Tuesday, Sep 4 until Winter 2018-19
Manhattan-bound (1) platform at 238 St in the Bronx will temporarily close

South Ferry-bound trains will skip 238 St.

During this temporary closure, customers will have access to the 242 St-bound platform with MetroCard.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

VG8 is going to love getting empty (1) trains (the put-ins that normally start at 238) during rush hour, and railfans are going to love being able to enter 238 Street on the uptown side.

During this temporary closure, customers will have access to the 242 St-bound platform with MetroCard.

Heh, please... I avoid the (1) train like the plague up there.  Damn thing is too crowded.  I heard about this project from the Riverdale Press.  I can't believe it is going to take this long just to replace stairs.  

29 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Heh, please... I avoid the (1) train like the plague up there.  Damn thing is too crowded.  I heard about this project from the Riverdale Press.  I can't believe it is going to take this long just to replace stairs.  

They are also going to ADD a new staircase on the NW corner, and do some cosmetic improvements.

Just now, Italianstallion said:

They are also going to ADD a new staircase on the NW corner, and do some cosmetic improvements.

I see... No elevator anywhere though... That would be nice. They should've put one at 242nd.... Absurd to rehab both 242nd AND 238th and not put one, so everyone has to go to 231st...

36 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

Many passengers entering that station get on from the Bx3 bus, which terminates there. They will now have to double  back north on the 1 and then change  again. Why not send the Bx3 buses up Broadway directly to 242nd and drop off the passengers there, so they don't have to do 2 changes? It'll only add about 10 minutes to the bus run.

27 minutes ago, Italianstallion said:

I agree 100%.

For what it's worth, 231st is basically the only ADA accessible station in the area. The next closest one is at Fordham Road on the (4) line... Dyckman Street on the (1) can be reached for ADA people Southbound only and after that no more ADA stations until 96th street!

23 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

For what it's worth, 231st is basically the only ADA accessible station in the area. The next closest one is at Fordham Road on the (4) line... Dyckman Street on the (1) can be reached for ADA people Southbound only and after that no more ADA stations until 96th street!

Isnt 168th ADA accessible?

8 hours ago, RR503 said:

This here is key. While weekend service changes are not in any way new, the adjacent track flagging that makes them so punishing is. After the deaths of those two track workers in the mid-2000s, the MTA and TWU established a 'Track Safety Task Force' to run an audit of MTA maintenance worker protection. One of the key concerns their report highlighted was the almost universal lack of adjacent track protection, so after its release, there was a concerted internal effort to strengthen NYCT flagging protocols. That, combined with the arguably draconian flagging rules themselves (<10mph for a minimum of a quarter-mile), is in essence why 2007 became the inflection point in weekend service -- with the increased volume of work necessitated by various triage efforts, it's been downhill from there. 

Luckily, a relatively simple solution to ATF exists -- track barriers and full shutdowns. The former provides an easily installable temporary wall to void ATF requirements, while the latter just kills the whole notion of adjacent tracks. Of course, both should be done, but given the agency's deep-set myopia, I'd be delighted to see limited implementation of either. 

There have been times where I've been trapped on the QBL to the point where I felt that they should have just shut it down so they could have gotten the work out the way quicker and I could have taken an alternative by default.

2 hours ago, Italianstallion said:

Many passengers entering that station get on from the Bx3 bus, which terminates there. They will now have to double  back north on the 1 and then change  again. Why not send the Bx3 buses up Broadway directly to 242nd and drop off the passengers there, so they don't have to do 2 changes? It'll only add about 10 minutes to the bus run.

Extend a bus route? Please, this ain't the pre-Walder (MTA) where they at least pretended to care about riders. Now they blatantly don't care and would rather save a penny for themselves than spend a dollar for anybody not named Cuomo.

Here's a new one:

PREVENTIVE MAINTENANCE | 9:45 PM Fri, Aug 24 to 5 AM Mon, Aug 27

Church Av-bound (G) trains skip Bedford-Nostrand Avs in Brooklyn

If only there was a way to switch over to the center track on either side of the station so trains can open their doors on the Court Square-bound platform.

image.thumb.png.9c81542aac9961cfded699ad6787594f.png

Oh wait...

Edited by Lance

42 minutes ago, Lance said:

Here's a new one:

If only there was a way to switch over to the center track on either side of the station so trains can open their doors on the Court Square-bound platform.

image.thumb.png.9c81542aac9961cfded699ad6787594f.png

Oh wait...

Too bad they don't want to pay anyone to sit in that tower to make such moves happen...

Here are the planned service changes so far for the month of September

(1) 9/1-9/3, 9/15-9/16- No trains between 14thst/rector st and south ferry

(2) 9/1-9/2- No trains between 135th st and E180th st

(3) 9/8-9/9, 9/15-9/16- No trains between 96th st and 148th st

(4) 9/8-9/9- No trains between bowling green and Utica Av

(5) 9/1-9/2, 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between 149th st Grand Concourse and E180th st. (2) trains provide alternative service

9/8-9/9-No trains between E180th st and Dyre av

(D) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Runs via 8th ave and Culver. Note: No trains between kings hwy and stillwell ave.

(C) 9/15-9/16-No trains between 145th st and 168th st

(E) 9/1-9/3- No trains between queens plaza and world trade center.Runs via 63rd and 6th ave to 2nd ave- the last stop

(F) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Runs via broadway and west end

(G) 9/8-9/9- No trains between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand ave

9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Court Sq and Nassau ave

(J) 9/1-9/2, 9/8-9/9- No trains between Hewes street and Broad St

9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

(M) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Trains extended to the Chambers St (J) station. Trains operate every 20 minutes

(N) 9/1-9/3, 9/8-9/9- Runs via west end in both directions. Note: Only Coney island bound trains runs via west end on the weekend of the 9/1-9/3

9/8-9/9, 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd

On 8/25/2018 at 9:56 AM, Far rockaway said:

Here are the planned service changes so far for the month of September

(1) 9/1-9/3, 9/15-9/16- No trains between 14thst/rector st and south ferry

(2) 9/1-9/2- No trains between 135th st and E180th st

(3) 9/8-9/9, 9/15-9/16- No trains between 96th st and 148th st

(4) 9/8-9/9- No trains between bowling green and Utica Av

(5) 9/1-9/2, 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between 149th st Grand Concourse and E180th st. (2) trains provide alternative service

9/8-9/9-No trains between E180th st and Dyre av

(D) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Runs via 8th ave and Culver. Note: No trains between kings hwy and stillwell ave.

(C) 9/15-9/16-No trains between 145th st and 168th st

(E) 9/1-9/3- No trains between queens plaza and world trade center.Runs via 63rd and 6th ave to 2nd ave- the last stop

(F) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Runs via broadway and west end

(G) 9/8-9/9- No trains between Court Sq and Bedford-Nostrand ave

9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Court Sq and Nassau ave

(J) 9/1-9/2, 9/8-9/9- No trains between Hewes street and Broad St

9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

(M) 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- Trains extended to the Chambers St (J) station. Trains operate every 20 minutes

(N) 9/1-9/3, 9/8-9/9- Runs via west end in both directions. Note: Only Coney island bound trains runs via west end on the weekend of the 9/1-9/3

9/8-9/9, 9/15-9/16, 9/22-9/23- No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Ditmars Blvd

OH COME ON, ENOUGH WITH THE (5) BEING OUT!!

I am getting sick of getting crushed on the shuttle bus by other passengers...

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Better get used to it or invest in Uber... lol

I wasted around 40 bucks on a lyft yesterday...

Took a lyft from 125th to East 180th for 14$ (couldve gone to Baychester Av for 15$) and my freaking driver drove so slow he got me to East 180th St 5 minutes after the last (5) departed. I went to go get another one and saw that a trip from East 180th St to Baychester would cost 20$. Had to get it since I was late for work.

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

I wasted around 40 bucks on a lyft yesterday...

Took a lyft from 125th to East 180th for 14$ (couldve gone to Baychester Av for 15$) and my freaking driver drove so slow he got me to East 180th St 5 minutes after the last (5) departed. I went to go get another one and saw that a trip from East 180th St to Baychester would cost 20$. Had to get it since I was late for work.

You should check with Uber too and try to do pools to keep the cost down...

FASTRACK PROGRAM | Sep 4 - 7, Tue to Fri  • Sep 10 - 14, Mon to Fri, from 9:30 PM to 5 AM
(D) Service is rerouted between 59 St-Columbus Circle, Manhattan and Stillwell Av, Brooklyn 

No service at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, B'way-Lafayette St and Grand St.

(D) service operates between Norwood-205 St and 145 St, and via the (C) local in Manhattan to/from Jay St-MetroTech, Brooklyn and via the (F) to/from Stillwell Av.   

(F) trains are rerouted via the (Q) express in Manhattan and replace the (D) in Brooklyn between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Stillwell Av.    

Buses operate between W 4 St and Grand St, stopping at B'way-Lafayette St

I have no idea why they're having the (D) Trains local in Manhattan instead of express during the weeknight Fastrack while having the overnight (A) Train express in Manhattan. Would've been perfect sense just to keep have the same setup as they do during the weekend shutdowns.

FASTRACK PROGRAM | Sep 4 - 7, Tue to Fri  •  Sep 10 - 14, Mon to Fri, from 10 PM to 5 AM
(A) Trains run express in both directions between 145 St and Canal St in Manhattan 

For 135, 116, 110, 103, 96, 81, 50, 23 and Spring Sts, take the (D) instead, which will make these local stops during this time. 

Transfer between trains at 145 St, 125 St, 59 St-Columbus Circle, 42 St-Port Authority, 14 St, W 4 St or Canal St.

Edited by Daniel The Cool

It's also incredibly confusing for no reason. Unless there is some work happening at 145 Street that's knocking out the local track on the upper level, they should just leave the (A) as the late night local and keep the (D) express. After all, that is the normal service pattern.