Planned Subway Service Changes

38 minutes ago, Lance said:

It's also incredibly confusing for no reason. Unless there is some work happening at 145 Street that's knocking out the local track on the upper level, they should just leave the (A) as the late night local and keep the (D) express. After all, that is the normal service pattern.

FASTRACK PROGRAM | Sep 4 - 6, Tue to Thu  •  Sep 10 - 13, Mon to Thu, 9:45 PM to 11 PM
(C) Trains skip 50 St, 23 St and Spring St in both directions in Manhattan 

For 50, 23 and Spring Sts, take the instead (D) instead, which will make these local stops during this time. 

Transfer between trains at 59 St-Columbus Circle, 42 St-Port Authority, 14 St, W 4 St or Canal St.

But yeah I actually agree with you. It makes no sense whatsoever doing that switchero since its not like the (D) Train is going via the Rutgers Street Tube.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update to the list

Weekend of Sep 29-30

No (2) trains between Franklin ave and Flatbush ave 

(4) trains operate in two sections

Between Woodlawn and 125st

Between 125st and Utica Av

No (5) trains between 149thst grand concourse and Dyre ave

(2) trains provide alternate service between 149thst grand concourse and E180th st

(D) trains operate via 8th ave and culver

No service between kings hwy and stillwell ave

(F) trains operate via Broadway and west end

No (J) trains between crescent st and Jamaica center 

(M) trains extended to Chambers st (J) station

Edited by Far rockaway

5 hours ago, Far rockaway said:

Update to the list

Weekend of Sep 29-30

No (2) trains between Franklin ave and Flatbush ave 

(4) trains operate in two sections

Between Woodlawn and 125st

Between 125st and Utica Av

No (5) trains between 149thst grand concourse and Dyre ave

(2) trains provide alternate service between 149thst grand concourse and E180th st

(D) trains operate via 8th ave and culver

No service between kings hwy and stillwell ave

(F) trains operate via Broadway and west end

No (J) trains between crescent st and Jamaica center 

(M) trains extended to Chambers st (J) station

They doing this BS split (4) again? Lord have mercy on my soul...

It saves them on running shuttle buses. I can only imagine it getting to the point that they'll try that nonsense on lines like the QBL. I can already see it:

"(F) trains run every 24 minutes between Jamaica-179 Street and Forest Hills"

"No (E) trains between Jamaica Center and Forest Hills."

21 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

They doing this BS split (4) again? Lord have mercy on my soul...

It's just one tube under the river that's being closed. Normal service is usually kept for this GO, unlike when they turn every other train from Manhattan at 125/149/Burnside to do work on Jerome. 16 minute daytime headways on the (4) is like hell on earth because if you take the train it will take a good hour to do what's normally a 10 minute trip, and the Bx32 would get slammed to the point that you're better off getting a Citi Bike or an Uber.

7 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

It's just one tube under the river that's being closed. Normal service is usually kept for this GO, unlike when they turn every other train from Manhattan at 125/149/Burnside to do work on Jerome. 16 minute daytime headways on the (4) is like hell on earth because if you take the train it will take a good hour to do what's normally a 10 minute trip, and the Bx32 would get slammed to the point that you're better off getting a Citi Bike or an Uber.

Its nuts, the crowds from the (4) pile up.

I remb when the (4) was running to 3rd Av and I went to the shuttle bus, the amount of people my god. A shuttle bus came and EVERYONE spilled out onto the road and tried to grab on before it actually stopped and there was fighting to get on board the bus...never again...

I think they’re going cheap on the shuttle buses too. Not too long ago they would use every single resource that the bus side had in order to get everyone where they need to go. I don’t know if the multiple GO’s spread supply too thin or if it is a legit cost cutting move.

I remember a time they used to have shuttle buses for station rehabs. Sadly, that doesn’t happen anymore.

That moment when rush hours are no longer immune to GO's and service cuts:

TRACK MAINTENANCE | Sep 10 - 28, Monday to Friday
(M) Morning rush hour service reduced to accommodate switch work in the area of W 4 St in Manhattan 

Two AM rush hour (M) trains will not run between 7:30 AM and 8:30 AM. 

You may will experience longer wait times, additional crowding and delays as we repair switches in the area of W 4 St-Washington Sq.

Downtown   (B)(D)(F) (M)  trains run at a slower speed in the area of W 4 St-Washington Sq in Manhattan

You may experience longer wait times, additional crowding and delays on (B)(D)(F)   and (M)   trains as we repair switches in the area of W 4 St-Washington Sq.

(F) Rush hour service reduced to accommodate switch work in the area of W 4 St in Manhattan 

Two AM rush hour (F) trains will not run between 7:30 AM and 8:30 AM.
Two PM rush hour (F) trains will not run between 4 PM and 4:45 PM.

You may experience longer wait times, additional crowding and delays as we repair switches in the area of W 4 St-Washington Sq.

ELEVATOR INSTALLATION | Through December* 2018
  62 St/New Utrecht Av Station transfer passageway closed

For free out-of-system transfer with MetroCard, exit to street and use entrances 
on 14 Av at 60 St for the  or 15 Av at 63 St for the .

*revised

Wow, what a joke. Looks like they're gonna be done this round the clock. However, it confuses me when there's a Fastrack going on, and when there will be several weekends of 6th Avenue closures up ahead. This wasn't ever considered to be done during any of these time periods? 

2 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Wow, what a joke. Looks like they're gonna be done this round the clock. However, it confuses me when there's a Fastrack going on, and when there will be several weekends of 6th Avenue closures up ahead. This wasn't ever considered to be done during any of these time periods? 

This is Andy Byford's "rip the band aid off" philosophy at work.

The (E) is going to be slammed because it'll have to pick up the slack for the (F) in Queens and the (M) along 53rd Street and LIC.

I swear, this is going to be every NYC subway line in a few years:

main-qimg-8ff44b5a4f960466907fa3f798922d

Not for nothing, but I find this all quite hilarious. It was not too long ago where everyone here was saying we need to shut down some lines completely for a time to get work done, even if that means impacting rush hour service. While not a complete shutdown, this compromised plan of action does impact rush hour service and yet, everyone's up in arms. You really can't have it both ways. There's no magic bullet that will solve this problem that's been growing for nearly a decade.

To be honest we should start doing boro-wide fast tracks. For example, lets say this work would be done on the northern parts of the Bronx:

(1) South Ferry - 168th St

(2) Flatbush to 148th St

(3) No trains running.

(4) 125th St - New Lots

(5) No trains running

(6) Bowling Green - 125th St.

(D) Coney Island - 145th St

Why not attack all the problems at once using this method, or am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Lawrence St said:

To be honest we should start doing boro-wide fast tracks. For example, lets say this work would be done on the northern parts of the Bronx:

(1) South Ferry - 168th St

(2) Flatbush to 148th St

(3) No trains running.

(4) 125th St - New Lots

(5) No trains running

(6) Bowling Green - 125th St.

(D) Coney Island - 145th St

Why not attack all the problems at once using this method, or am I missing something?

The great thing about our system is that it — for better or worse — has unbelievable redundancy. Shut down Concourse? Jerome is right there. Shut down IND Inwood? Use the (1). Kill WPR 180-149? Bus between those points, and encourage folks to consider the (6).  

Shutting all lines in a borough completely kneecaps that ability to absorb, inconveniencing the people we’re trying to serve. If you want to accelerate work beyond doing line shutdowns, you should close lines in different service areas. Eg: close Culver, Fulton west of Bway Jct, the (7), WPR and the (1) beyond 168 — that’s a shit ton of work being done simultaneously with little effect on redundancy. 

Edited by RR503

26 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The great thing about our system is that it — for better or worse — has unbelievable redundancy. Shut down Concourse? Jerome is right there. Shut down IND Inwood? Use the (1). Kill WPR 180-149? Bus between those points, and encourage folks to consider the (6).  

Shutting all lines in a borough completely kneecaps that ability to absorb, inconveniencing the people we’re trying to serve. If you want to accelerate work beyond doing line shutdowns, you should close lines in different service areas. Eg: close Culver, Fulton west of Bway Jct, the (7), WPR and the (1) beyond 168 — that’s a shit ton of work being done simultaneously with little effect on redundancy. 

I don’t think that the system is that redundant at all quite frankly. That argument can really only apply to parts of Manhattan at best, given how many transit deserts that exist.

6 hours ago, RR503 said:

I agree with this. Let me modify my plan, do fast tracks on multiple lines that have other alternatives to them, i.e shut down the (4) north of 125th but not the (D) .

• 2 weeks later...

STAIRWAY REPLACEMENT
Through December 2018
Bronx-bound platform at the 215 St (1)  Station is EXIT ONLY

For uptown service from this station, take a South Ferry-bound (1)  to Dyckman St and transfer to a Van Cortlandt Park-bound (1) . 

Alternate travel option:

For service to the 225 St-Marble Hill and 231 St  Stations, take a Bronx-bound Bx7 (days/evenings) or Bx20 (rush hours) bus on Broadway at 215 St.