Planned Subway Service Changes

On 12/13/2018 at 11:16 PM, Far rockaway said:

Is there a G.O involving the (E) and (M) because while i was on the train at jamaica van wyck today, i saw a poster being put up by an mta worker that said the (E) and(M) trains

The poster has the background color blue.

On 12/14/2018 at 7:20 AM, Eric B said:

There's doing the same G.O as the same week last year, with the 53rd St. tunnel closed for the week.

The GO is posted on the site. 

(E) trains run via 6 Ave/63rd St at all times from 445am Weds 12/26 to 5am Mon 12/31

(M) trains run between Metropolitan and Chambers during the day/evening, and are entirely suspended during that weekend. 

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Five Subway Stations in Upper Manhattan to Receive New Elevators

Work to Begin in Early January

MTA New York City Transit today announced the long-term schedule for major elevator replacement projects at five separate “deep” stations in the Washington Heights section of Manhattan, with the first set to begin in January at the 168 St station on the (1)  line. 

The work will replace the existing elevators and upgrade communications, security and fire alarm systems. The projects mark the first time that the elevators and component systems at the stations have been replaced in their entirety. MTA personnel began community board and elected official outreach during the summer, and met again with Community Board 12 earlier this month where they presented travel alternatives during the first project. The other stations set to undergo elevator replacement work include the 181 St (A) station, the 191 St (1) station, the 190 St (A) station and the 181 St (1) station.   

“Replacing these elevators is long overdue and critical for reliable access to these unique ‘deep stations,’ and we’ve put together a schedule that takes care not to cause unnecessary inconvenience for customers,” said MTA New York City Transit President Andy Byford. “We thank our customers for their patience during this extraordinary work and hope they take advantage of the enhanced bus service and additional free transfers we’ve arranged for the duration of the projects.”

The stations have endured a great deal of water intrusion and decay over the years, which has meaningfully reduced the reliability of these elevators. Three of the stations are more than a century old, and many of the elevator components are nearly a century old. Because of these factors and the fact that these stations are located so far beneath the ground, the work is very complicated and can’t be done just during overnight hours. The work will require full station closures of 11 to 12 months each, on a schedule that has been staggered in order to avoid concurrent closures on the same line.

When completed, the doors will open at the front and rear of each of the four elevators and the rear passageway behind the elevators at the lower mezzanine level will be reopened in order to improve customer flow.  The overall scope of work also includes improvements to the current emergency stairs, including a lighting upgrade, concrete repair and the installation of new handrails.

During construction, M5 bus service in the area will be enhanced.  Customers may use the free MetroCard transfer on the M3, M4 or M5 buses between 157th and 168th streets.  Customers are encouraged to use the 168 St service, which will remain available while work is being done on the  line portion of the station.  Customers may transfer between the  and the  lines at the 59 St-Columbus Circle station.  There is also a free walking transfer between the  stations at 215 St or 207 St and the Inwood-207 St  station.   trains will begin bypassing the 168 St station on Saturday, Jan. 5, 2019.

In accordance with new MTA Board policy, three-legged transfers will be available on a limited basis so that customers avoid paying two fares due to the station closure.  For example, a rider from the Bronx wishing to get to the  line may take the Bx10, transfer to the Bx7 and then swipe into the  station at Inwood-207 St on one fare (bus to bus to train).  Going northbound, a customer may take a bus to the  train, and then transfer at 157 St to the M5 and ride to 168 St on one fare (bus to train to bus).

The  line part of the 168 St station is 112 years old.  It is on the National Register of Historic Places along with 181 St , 181 St  and the 190 St  stations.  Some of the oldest components in these elevators and the accompanying machine rooms are more than 90 years old.  The replacement of the deep station elevators at 168 St, 191 St and 181 St on the  line is a $61 million contract that was awarded to Skanska USA. The contract for the two additional stations – 181 St and 190 St on the  line – is expected to be awarded by the end of the year.

US Congressman Adriano Espaillat (District 13) said: “I commend the MTA on its progress to begin the long overdue renovations at 168 St subway station, a main mode of commuter transportation to the Columbia University Medical Center and surrounding area. It remains critical that our city infrastructure systems are safe, secure and reliable. The upcoming renovation will force the station to close for nearly a year, however our city and surrounding communities will benefit tremendously once the station is complete.”

NYC Council Transportation Chair Ydanis Rodriguez (District 10) said: “The 168 St station plays an important role as a transportation hub with heavy usage by residents, patients at NY Hospital, families, and students who pass through the station on a regular basis. It is the number one station in terms of complaints about old infrastructure and accessibility issues. I often hear from constituents and transportation advocates about replacing the 100-year-old elevator to better accommodate the amount of riders that the 168 St station serves. The new elevators will be a much-needed addition and I am committed to working with the MTA to continuing to explore how we can make the 168 St  station accessible for all. The update to the elevators and ancillary facilities will be a great improvement for the community.”

NYS Assembly Member Al Taylor (District 71) said: "I am pleased that so many critical repairs will finally be made to the 168 St  station to make it safer and bring it up-to-date with the latest technological innovations. The replacement of these elevators are critical improvements to the 168 St  station and I look forward to exploring further possibilities with the MTA to further enhance the accessibility of this station."

Construction schedule:

Station

Dates of Construction (Station Closure)

(1) 168 St 

January 5, 2019 – January 2020

(A) 181 St 

October 2019 – October 2020

(1) 191 St 

February 2020 – February 2021

(A) 190 St 

November 2020 - October 2021

(1) 181 St 

March 2021 – February 2022

While they're fixing the elevators, they should add ADA accessibility to these stations. It's a good opportunity because they are closed (or the area where the elevators are is closed, in some of them) and there is a really large gap in ADA accessibility along the 1 line that needs to be filled. They should also renovate the stations that haven't been renovated recently, if they are being closed (168th was renovated recently, so it does not have to be renovated.)

Starting off the new year:

(2) No service north of 96 St: Jan 5-7

(2) No service between Franklin and Flatbush Avs: Jan 12-14, 19-21

(3) Service is suspended: Jan 5-7

(4) Reduced service north of 125 St: Jan 5-6, 12-13, 19-20

(4)(5) All Downtown service is local from 125 St to Grand Central: Jan 11-14, 18-21

(5) Operates between 241 St and Bowling Green to supplement the (2) ; Shuttle train service runs between Dyre Av and E 180 St: Jan 5-7

(5) Reduced service: Jan 12-13, 19-20

(7) No service between Queensboro Plaza and Hudson Yards: Jan 5-7, 12-14, 19-21

(A)(C) Reduced service: Jan 5-7, 12-14, 19-21

(A) No daytime service south of Howard Beach: Jan 5-6, 12-13, 19-20

(A)(C) Manhattan bound service runs via Rutgers tunnel: Jan 11-14

(D) Reduced service: Jan 5-6

(E) No service between Briarwood and Jamaica Center; Operates to 179 St: Jan 11-14, 18-21

(E)(F) Service is local between Forest Hills and Roosevelt Av: Jan 5-7, 12-14

(F) Coney Island bound service runs via 53 St: Jan 5-7*, 12-14, 19-21 *-Also runs via Cranberry tunnel

(G) No service between Church Av and Bedford-Nostrand Avs: Jan 4-7

(J) No service between 121 St and Jamaica Center; (Z) skip-stop service is suspended: Dec 28-Jan 7 

(J) No service between Myrtle Av and Broad St: Jan 11-14, 18-21

(M) Service is suspended: Jan 4-7, 11-14, 18-21

(N) Reduced service: Jan 5-6, 12-13

(S) 42 Street runs overnight: Jan 5-7, 12-14, 19-21

(S) Rockaway Park runs between Mott Av and Beach 116 St: Jan 5-6, 12-13, 19-20

(W) Operates to supplement the (7): Jan 5-6, 12-13, 19-20

Edited by S78 via Hylan

23 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

^^ Is that no (J) between JC and 121st a 24/7 G.O? If it is would be a throwback to the 80s when the Jamaica EL to 168 was closed until Parsons Archer extension opened, or so I heard, I wasn't born until 91 lol.

It is as the service change runs all the way through the dates mentioned.

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

^^ Is that no (J) between JC and 121st a 24/7 G.O? If it is would be a throwback to the 80s when the Jamaica EL to 168 was closed until Parsons Archer extension opened, or so I heard, I wasn't born until 91 lol.

Yes. The track in Archer needs some...help. Expect similar in the future for the (E), if I'm hearing correctly. The crewing for this one sounds like a time, BTW. I've heard that they will begin/end their runs from Broadway Jct a la (D) and BPB. 

The really disappointing part of this, though, is the fact that even for a 24/7 GO, they can only be bothered to bus as far as Van Wyck. Classy, MTA. 

22 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Do they even have a program to 121? I see a repeat of the (J) to Metropolitan GO in our future...

They're running this GO nights this week and next -- maybe someone here is on the (J) and can enlighten us lol. 

2 hours ago, RR503 said:

Yes. The track in Archer needs some...help. Expect similar in the future for the (E), if I'm hearing correctly. The crewing for this one sounds like a time, BTW. I've heard that they will begin/end their runs from Broadway Jct a la (D) and BPB. 

The really disappointing part of this, though, is the fact that even for a 24/7 GO, they can only be bothered to bus as far as Van Wyck. Classy, MTA. 

Surprised to hear the tracks in Archer are in such bad shape, espically considering that part of of the subway system is fairly young and by the time it opened, the deferred maintenance era was pretty much over.

Not to mention both the E and J levels have been shutdown for weekend G.Os over the years so I assumed the tracks there was in good shape.

Yikes at the shuttle bus only going to Van Wyck. Many riders out of Parsons Archer already gotta take a bus to and from their neighborhoods to the train station, so during this G.O those riders will have a three seat ride just to get to the J line at 121, ouch.

3 hours ago, RR503 said:

Did they screw up, albeit not on as massive a scale as 63rd Street, which required a closure 9 years later? What a mess.

1 hour ago, trainfan22 said:

Surprised to hear the tracks in Archer are in such bad shape, espically considering that part of of the subway system is fairly young and by the time it opened, the deferred maintenance era was pretty much over.

Not to mention both the E and J levels have been shutdown for weekend G.Os over the years so I assumed the tracks there was in good shape.

59 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Did they screw up, albeit not on as massive a scale as 63rd Street, which required a closure 9 years later? What a mess.

IINM the track in Archer today is the original direct fixation stuff put in when the line was opened. There have been plenty of GOs over the years, yes, (and this is quite the indictment of NYCT work practices that this wasn't addressed during them) but they generally covered other areas -- signal work, station renovation (on Jamaica), etc. Now, with little replacement over the years, the track/trackbed is reaching the end of its service life, and given the relatively significant nature of the work that must thus be undertaken, they have elected to do full shutdowns. 

21 hours ago, RR503 said:

That is an interesting point. Why do the shuttle buses end at Jamaica-Van Wyck for Jamaica line closures? The (E) buses always run to Jamaica Center when service is suspended, so why not the (J) buses? Is it because it's a direct shot to Jamaica-Van Wyck from wherever the buses originate from?

21 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Do they even have a program to 121? I see a repeat of the (J) to Metropolitan GO in our future...

We'll find out soon enough, won't we.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

That is an interesting point. Why do the shuttle buses end at Jamaica-Van Wyck for Jamaica line closures? The (E) buses always run to Jamaica Center when service is suspended, so why not the (J) buses? Is it because it's a direct shot to Jamaica-Van Wyck from wherever the buses originate from?

The cynic in me wants to ascribe it to classism, but this being the MTA, it also may be a case of cost minimization. I fail to see how it'd be that hard just to extend the buses further down Jamaica Ave making corresponding stops. 

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
10:45 PM Fri, Dec 28 to 5 AM Mon, Dec 31
(G) Service replaces the (F) between Bergen St and Stillwell Av in Brooklyn

In this scenario, is the (G) train actually suspended and the (F) train runs in 2 sections? I was always curious about this

3 hours ago, Train92 said:

ELECTRICAL IMPROVEMENTS
10:45 PM Fri, Dec 28 to 5 AM Mon, Dec 31
(G) Service replaces the (F) between Bergen St and Stillwell Av in Brooklyn

In this scenario, is the (G) train actually suspended and the (F) train runs in 2 sections? I was always curious about this

Wasnt there suppose to be a weekend G.O for this as well? Or is that next month?

8 hours ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Negative. The (G) actually runs to Coney Island while the (F) is rerouted to Euclid Av. As a result, the (C) is cut back to 2nd Ave.

I honestly don't know why the (C) needs to run. Have the (A) run local with frequent service in Manhattan and have it run normally in Brooklyn. It's a waste to have the (C) running during that time in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Abba said:

But the (E) will be out on part of 8th ave. On a normal week though you would be right. 

Oh then that changes it. But on a normal weekend the (C) should never run.

However, I do have an idea. Why doesn't the (F) run via Crosstown, the (E) via 63rd and 6th down to West 4th then normal route and the (C) via the (F) from West 4th to Hoyt?

18 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh then that changes it. But on a normal weekend the (C) should never run.

However, I do have an idea. Why doesn't the (F) run via Crosstown, the (E) via 63rd and 6th down to West 4th then normal route and the (C) via the (F) from West 4th to Hoyt?

Not a bad idea, but the thing is, all those (F) train passengers from 179th st cramming the (E) with existing passengers already on that train would be a problem.

But in theory this would be another way of a reroute change.