Planned Subway Service Changes

47 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Not BS, the (5) will actually run the whole weekend, even overnight, good for Lexington Avenue (4)(5)(6) and lower White Plains Road  (2)(5) trunk lines.  The swap will be the only time the (5) will really run on weekends at all.

Over your head...

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Lex said:

Over your head...

Excuse me?  The (2)/(5) swap is done to keep the 2/5 crews in place (with similar runs) and to cut down on overtime. I just pointed out the benefits for some riders. The alternative would be to swap the (2) and (5) in Manhattan causing more confusion than just swapping in the Bronx (and Brooklyn).

Edited by GreatOne2k

On 5/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

That (R) GO i think has been done before, but as a weeknight fasttrack several years ago. Separate from the one where all tracks between Queens Plaza and Roosevelt ave were OOS

Do work trains ever use that switch?

Very very rarely. I don't think a move has been done over that switch in a *very* long time. That switch is part of a standalone interlocking, so a TSS or Tower Operator has to be there to operate the switch.

It's all moot now - the switch has been out of service since August and will be removed over the next two weekends.

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041219&PLTYPE=1

T7041219

Renewal of 52 Street Station on the Flushing Line

This project will repair select elements within the 52 Street Station on the IRT Flushing Line in the borough of Queens. Work will include the repair of structural deficiencies throughout the station and improvements to architectural treatments. Some schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

Design End Jun 2019 Construction Start Dec 2019

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041218&PLTYPE=1

T7041218

Renewal of 61 Street Station-Woodside on the Flushing Line

This project will repair select elements within the 61 Street-Woodside Station on the IRT Flushing Line in the borough of Queens. Work will include the repair of structural deficiencies throughout the station and improvements to architectural treatments. Some schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

Design End Oct 2019 Const Start May 2020

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041217&PLTYPE=1

T7041217

Renewal of 69 Street Station on the Flushing Line

Design Jun 2019 Construction Dec 2019

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041216&PLTYPE=1

T7041216

Renewal of Cypress Hills Station on the Jamaica Line

Design End Dec 2019 Const. Start Jun 2020

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041215&PLTYPE=1

T7041215

Renewal of 75 Street-Elderts Lane on the Jamaica Line

Design End Dec 2019 Const. Start Jun 2020

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041209&PLTYPE=1

T7041209

Renewal of Mets-Willets Point Station on the Flushing Line

This project will repair select elements within the Mets-Willets Point Station on the IRT Flushing Line in the borough of Queens. Work will include the replacement of street stairs, mezzanine to platform stairs, mezzanine floors, doors and windows, interior and exterior walls, and canopies as required. Some schedule dates are not available, due to project being under development.

Design End Dec 2019 Const. Start Dec 2020

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041210&PLTYPE=1

T7041210

Renewal of 111 Street Station on the Flushing Line

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041211&PLTYPE=1

T7041211

Renewal of 103 Street-Station Corona Plaza on the Flushing Line

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041212&PLTYPE=1

T7041212

Renewal of 82 Street Station-Jackson Heights on the Flushing Line

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041213&PLTYPE=1

T7041213

Renewal of Woodhaven Boulevard Station on the Jamaica Line

Design End Mar 2019 Const sTART mAR 2020 Const End Mar 2023

http://web.mta.info/capitaldashboard/allframenew_pi.php?PROJNUM=t7041214&PLTYPE=1

T7041214

Renewal of 85 Street-Forest Parkway on the Jamaica Line

Design End Dec 2019 Start Jun 2020

59 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Goodbye Lincoln and Fisk, unless they get the City Council and DOT involved....

And good riddance. The old names don't exist anywhere except on very old maps, therefore they should be removed from the signage. Of course, the same could be said for Rawson, Lowery and Bliss, and yet they continue to hang on despite their constantly dwindling historical significance.

Regarding the actual work to be done, hopefully they find a way to minimize the amount of line closures necessary for these. I'm sure Jamaica riders would really like to see weekend service beyond Crescent St and Broadway Junction at least once this year.

Yes, I am aware J trains have run normally a few times this year. Don't be pedantic.

33 minutes ago, Lance said:

And good riddance. The old names don't exist anywhere except on very old maps, therefore they should be removed from the signage. Of course, the same could be said for Rawson, Lowery and Bliss, and yet they continue to hang on despite their constantly dwindling historical significance.

Regarding the actual work to be done, hopefully they find a way to minimize the amount of line closures necessary for these. I'm sure Jamaica riders would really like to see weekend service beyond Crescent St and Broadway Junction at least once this year.

Yes, I am aware J trains have run normally a few times this year. Don't be pedantic.

Rawson, Lowery, and Bliss do exist outside the station since 2003 (Bliss also has existed in Sunnyside Gardens since 1982). Because of this, MTA will not remove those names again.  This is also why those three names were also restored to the subway map as well.

https://forgotten-ny.com/2009/09/back-to-the-boulevard-queens-boulevard-along-the-flushing-el/

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/07/nyregion/neighborhood-report-sunnyside-names-have-been-changed-confuse-innocent.html

https://sunnysidepost.com/sunnysidewoodsides-street-names-remain-relevant

Edited by GreatOne2k

Today is Monday and for me, it means that I do a trip from Sheepshead Bay Station to Avenue M Station and back. 

I decided to check the MTA website as I usually do to see if the Q train will be stopping at Avenue M in either direction at about noon. When I entered the two stations northbound on their website, i saw an entry that the B is not stopping at Kings Highway and Church Avenue due to station maintenance and that I had to change at Newkirk Plaza for a southbound Q train. Fine but I asked about Avenue M and the Q train, not the B train and not about Kings Highway. 

Based on what was written, I have to read into the post that both the B and Q trains are running express in the northbound direction via the express track and that there is no local service from Sheepshead Bay to Prospect Park. If that is what is happening why is there nothing mentioned about the Q running express just like the B and not stopping at Kings Highway and Church Avenue?

If I cannot understand this post then how can anyone who is not familiar with the system or speaks another language understand what is happening here?

For the record, I will be checking MTA info before I leave and if the post is the same thing as it is now, I will go with my alternate route of the B/44 SBS to the B/9.

On 5/9/2019 at 8:28 PM, Lance said:

Might they do a single platform at a time? I remember riding the (J) in August and seeing a few Jamaica-bound platforms basically stripped down to the steel frames, with trains obviously bypassing the station. The Manhattan/Brooklyn-bound platforms had clearly received their rehabs already. Here's what it looked like: SBZbi4O.jpg

Edited by Enjineer

No Access to Uptown Service at Franklin St 1 Station

We're installing flood protection equipment

Beginning 5 AM Monday, June 10, through July 2019, there will be no access to UPTOWN service at the Franklin St 1 station.

The UPTOWN platform will be EXIT ONLY.

For uptown service at Franklin St, please take a downtown 1 to Chambers St and transfer to an uptown 123.

Or use the nearby Canal St 1  station.

Click here to plan your trip, or call 511 for automated travel information 24/7; agents are available from 6 AM to 10 PM daily. Customers who are deaf or hard of hearing: use your preferred realy service provider or the free 711 service relay to reach 511.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/servicechanges/franklinst

Never seen this G.O before...

(6) trains run in two sections:
  1. Between Pelham Bay Park and Parkchester, every 12 minutes days and evenings
  2. Between 3 Av-138 St and Brooklyn Bridge

Buses run along two routes:
  1. Local buses run between 3 Av-138 St and Parkchester, making stops at Brook Av, Cypress Av, E 143 St, E 149 St, Longwood, Hunts Point, Whitlock, Elder, Morrison and St Lawrence Avs.
  2. Express buses run nonstop between 3 Av-138 St and Parkchester.

• Transfer between trains and  buses at Parkchester and/or 3 Av-138 St.

Should be fun for the bus fanners as the nonstop shuttle bus will likely run on the highway. Also the possibility of R142/142A's showing up on the (6) due to the downtown portion being cut off from its yard.

Edited by trainfan22

10 hours ago, Interested Rider said:

Today is Monday and for me, it means that I do a trip from Sheepshead Bay Station to Avenue M Station and back. 

I decided to check the MTA website as I usually do to see if the Q train will be stopping at Avenue M in either direction at about noon. When I entered the two stations northbound on their website, i saw an entry that the B is not stopping at Kings Highway and Church Avenue due to station maintenance and that I had to change at Newkirk Plaza for a southbound Q train. Fine but I asked about Avenue M and the Q train, not the B train and not about Kings Highway. 

Based on what was written, I have to read into the post that both the B and Q trains are running express in the northbound direction via the express track and that there is no local service from Sheepshead Bay to Prospect Park. If that is what is happening why is there nothing mentioned about the Q running express just like the B and not stopping at Kings Highway and Church Avenue?

If I cannot understand this post then how can anyone who is not familiar with the system or speaks another language understand what is happening here?

For the record, I will be checking MTA info before I leave and if the post is the same thing as it is now, I will go with my alternate route of the B/44 SBS to the B/9.

An update on this change as it will be going on all week during the non-rush hours and will be in effect on this weekend as well. Q trains are running express northbound from Sheepshead Bay to Prospect Park. 

I went with the bus option going to Avenue M and ran into sewer construction on the B/9 from Nostrand Avenue to the Brighton Line.

What this proved to me which was never look at the MTA website until I am about to leave home to take the trip. 

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:36 AM, Enjineer said:

Might they do a single platform at a time? I remember riding the (J) in August and seeing a few Jamaica-bound platforms basically stripped down to the steel frames, with trains obviously bypassing the station. The Manhattan/Brooklyn-bound platforms had clearly received their rehabs already. Here's what it looked like: 

<image>

I believe they're completing these renovations in both directions at once going forward to avoid the excessive lengths of time needed at one particular station. With the previous one-directional closures at 104 Street and 121 Street for example, half of those stations were closed for almost two years in total. A six-month full closure is a much better alternative than that.

2 hours ago, Lance said:

I believe they're completing these renovations in both directions at once going forward to avoid the excessive lengths of time needed at one particular station.

So then I'd assume it'd function like ESI, right? Simply close it to traffic for six months or so and then reopen the fully rehabbed station once it's complete. 

On May 13, 2019 at 4:00 PM, Union Tpke said:

No Access to Uptown Service at Franklin St 1 Station

We're installing flood protection equipment

Beginning 5 AM Monday, June 10, through July 2019, there will be no access to UPTOWN service at the Franklin St 1 station.

The UPTOWN platform will be EXIT ONLY.

For uptown service at Franklin St, please take a downtown 1 to Chambers St and transfer to an uptown 123.

Or use the nearby Canal St 1  station.

Click here to plan your trip, or call 511 for automated travel information 24/7; agents are available from 6 AM to 10 PM daily. Customers who are deaf or hard of hearing: use your preferred realy service provider or the free 711 service relay to reach 511.

https://new.mta.info/system_modernization/servicechanges/franklinst

Sounds like they're flood proofing the entrance kiosk...

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 24 - 27, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon
(2) Service between Chambers St, Manhattan and Flatbush Av, Brooklyn is replaced by (4)(5) trains and nearby (R) stations   
 Trains replace the  in the Bronx and Brooklyn 

(2) trains run via the (5) to/from Dyre Av and then normal between E 180 St and Chambers St and via the  to/from South Ferry, the last stop.  

(5) trains run between Flatbush Av and E 180 St and via the  to/from 241 St. 
• Trains run express along Lexington Av in Manhattan.

Free out-of-system subway transfer will be available with MetroCard between South Ferry (1)(2) and Bowling Green (4)(5)  .

Note: (3) trains are not running during this time. 

4 hours ago, Train92 said:

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 24 - 27, 11:30 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon
(2) Service between Chambers St, Manhattan and Flatbush Av, Brooklyn is replaced by (4)(5) trains and nearby (R) stations   
 Trains replace the  in the Bronx and Brooklyn 

(2) trains run via the (5) to/from Dyre Av and then normal between E 180 St and Chambers St and via the  to/from South Ferry, the last stop.  

(5) trains run between Flatbush Av and E 180 St and via the  to/from 241 St. 
• Trains run express along Lexington Av in Manhattan.

Free out-of-system subway transfer will be available with MetroCard between South Ferry (1)(2) and Bowling Green (4)(5)  .

Note: (3) trains are not running during this time. 

Can someone please explain the point of swapping the northern terminals again?

43 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Can someone please explain the point of swapping the northern terminals again?

Keep the crew assignments the same or close to it. (2) crews operate the (5) from 241 St to Flatbush Avenue, (5) crews operate the (2) from Dyre Avenue to South Ferry.

Edited by GreatOne2k

32 minutes ago, GreatOne2k said:

Keep the crew assignments the same or close to it. (2) crews operate the (5) from 241 St to Flatbush Avenue, (5) crews operate the (2) from Dyre Avenue to South Ferry.

Because crews are apparently incapable of handling route changes that are closer to normal service...

8 minutes ago, Bay Ridge Express said:

At the expense of confusing passengers? Wow

The short version is that, crews have rights and pick their schedule based on what the employer advertises. So if you want AM shifts at 241st, you'd be really mad if your job was constantly changing it to Dyre or Flatbush, its actually a big point of contention since GOs reduce jobs so even though you picked your job and made an agreement with your employer and they cancel your job and say "nah j/k we're starting you on the other side of the city and on the opposite shift you picked, hope you don't need a babysitter". It can be quite peeving to suddenly realise that even though you picked mornings for family, medical, etc that your job can pull the rug out from under you and suddenly you're assigned to Livonia yard at 7pm instead of 241st at 4am for the majority of the Pick. There are some other considerations that occasionally come into play but that's why sometimes the 2 up, 5 down GOs work that way. That and it reduces the amount of overtime in some cases.

Edited by Jsunflyguy

5 hours ago, Jsunflyguy said:

The short version is that, crews have rights and pick their schedule based on what the employer advertises. So if you want AM shifts at 241st, you'd be really mad if your job was constantly changing it to Dyre or Flatbush, its actually a big point of contention since GOs reduce jobs so even though you picked your job and made an agreement with your employer and they cancel your job and say "nah j/k we're starting you on the other side of the city and on the opposite shift you picked, hope you don't need a babysitter". It can be quite peeving to suddenly realise that even though you picked mornings for family, medical, etc that your job can pull the rug out from under you and suddenly you're assigned to Livonia yard at 7pm instead of 241st at 4am for the majority of the Pick. There are some other considerations that occasionally come into play but that's why sometimes the 2 up, 5 down GOs work that way. That and it reduces the amount of overtime in some cases.

If you were talking about almost any other pair of routes, I might accept it, but this is about the (2) and (5). The only thing trying to enforce that would accomplish is more confusion.