Planned Subway Service Changes

59 minutes ago, Caelestor said:

Perhaps the discussion should be about why the MTA can't run more than 20 tph on a 4-track line on weekends. Is there an actual logistical reason or are they just cheap?

Flagging. Slowing trains to 10mph in areas whose signal systems were designed for 30 means you lose capacity. MTA has decided that you can run, at most, 18tph (though they seem to aim for 15 these days) through a flagged area, hence all weekend frequencies are designed to be low enough that trunks can be/can easily be supplemented to combine on one track at 15-18tph during planned work. 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, LaGuardia Link N Tra said:

Hey quick question, how many weekends will the (2) and (5) terminal swap occur? I’m asking cause I’m trying to railfan that, but I’m unable to do it this weekend

Oh finally the (4) is running normal when they do this change. Back when it was every weekend, the (4) would always be the service to get rerouted onto the local if there was a G.O.

16 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh finally the (4) is running normal when they do this change. Back when it was every weekend, the (4) would always be the service to get rerouted onto the local if there was a G.O.

I think its because there is no GO on the actual Lexington Avenue Line, making the (4)(5)(6) share a track. Should that have been the case, yes the (4) would have been sent local because the (5) and (6) would each run every 12 minutes (and 12-minute headways on the Lexington Local during busy travel hours is not acceptable)

6 hours ago, darkstar8983 said:

I think its because there is no GO on the actual Lexington Avenue Line, making the (4)(5)(6) share a track. Should that have been the case, yes the (4) would have been sent local because the (5) and (6) would each run every 12 minutes (and 12-minute headways on the Lexington Local during busy travel hours is not acceptable)

Last year, whenever there was a G.O the (4) for some reason ran local while the (5) remained as the express, it didnt make sense to me.

Unless there was a G.O on the (6) I didnt know about that split its headways.

FASTRACK PROGRAM
Jun 10 - 28, Mon to Fri, from 9:15 PM to 5 AM

(1) Service between 96 St and Dyckman St in Manhattan is replaced by (A)(C) trains, M3 and free shuttle buses

FASTRACK PROGRAM
Jun 10 - 28, Mon to Fri, from 9:15 PM to 5 AM
(1) Downtown trains skip 207 St in Manhattan

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Jun 18 - 21, Tue to Fri, from 11:45 PM to 5 AM
(N) Service between Queensboro Plaza, Queens and Times Sq-42 St, Manhattan is replaced by (4)(6)(7) and (Q) trains

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Jun 18 - 21, Tue to Fri, from 11:45 PM to 12:05 AM
(R) The last Forest Hills-bound trains skip 5 Av/59 St, Lexington Av/59 St, Manhattan and Queens Plaza, Queens

Forest Hills-bound (R) trains run via the (Q) from 57 St-7 Av to 21 St-Queensbridge (F) , making stops at Lexington Av/63 St and Roosevelt Island, resuming normal service at 36 St, Queens.

Edited by Far rockaway

5 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Last year, whenever there was a G.O the (4) for some reason ran local while the (5) remained as the express, it didnt make sense to me.

Unless there was a G.O on the (6) I didnt know about that split its headways.

Did it ever occur to you that they didn't want to have more conflicts between (4) and (5) trains, particularly when the latter terminated at Grand Central?

1 hour ago, Lex said:

And what does telling me this change?

The fact that the (5) wasn't terminating at Grand Central. 

When they did (4) via local then, IINM it was for one of two reasons: the (6) was out, or the (6) was on a headway >8 mins, and they were worried about crowding. I remember weekends with the (6) on a 12 and the (4) via local, and weekends with no (6) and both the (4) and (5) via local. 

11 minutes ago, RR503 said:

The fact that the (5) wasn't terminating at Grand Central.

I can tell you that this is patently false, and I have video evidence. (This was one of those weekends where (5) trains short-turned, but not at 86th Street.)

1 minute ago, Lex said:

I can tell you that this is patently false, and I have video evidence. (This was one of those weekends where (5) trains short-turned, but not at 86th Street.)

I'm not saying that the (5) didn't terminate at Grand Central; sorry for not being clear. I'm saying that there were weekends when the  (5) wasn't terminating at Grand Central, but the (4) went local anyway.

Edited by RR503

During the Clark st Shutdown the (5) terminated at Grand Central ?? What served Flatbush then ?

Ahh I think I get what happened that weekend . The 5 ran between Grand Central and Flatbush 

Edited by Abba

24 minutes ago, RR503 said:

I'm not saying that the (5) didn't terminate at Grand Central; sorry for not being clear. I'm saying that there were weekends when the  (5) wasn't terminating at Grand Central, but the (4) went local anyway.

It also terminated at 86th Street on certain weekends.

20 minutes ago, Abba said:

During the Clark st Shutdown the (5) terminated at Grand Central ?? What served Flatbush then ?

Ahh I think I get what happened that weekend . The 5 ran between Grand Central and Flatbush 

That's exactly it.

7 hours ago, Lex said:

Ok and what is your point? I'm not talking about that, I'm talking about when the (5) was running to Flatbush WITHOUT ending at Grand Central or 86th St (which only happened once or twice.)

Upcoming Service Change: Eastern Parkway station bypass

We're making accessibility improvements

Beginning at 5 AM Monday, June 24 through July 2019, Manhattan-bound trains will skip Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum so that we can improve accessibility at the station.

Travel Alternatives

For service from Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum, use the nearby Franklin Av 234 or 5  or Grand Army Plaza 23 stations instead. Or, take a Flatbush Av-bound 2 or New Lots Av-bound 3 (4 local) to Franklin Av and transfer to a Manhattan-bound 234 or 5 .

For service to Eastern Pkwy-Brooklyn Museum, take a Manhattan-bound 2 or 3 to Grand Army Plaza and transfer to a Flatbush Av-bound 2 or New Lots Av-bound 3 (4 local).

So this upcoming weekend (May 31-June 3) we have these three GO's:

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 31 - Jun 3, 10:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon
(R) 9 Av-bound trains skip Union St, 4 Av-9 St, Prospect Av and 25 St in Brooklyn 

ELEVATOR INSTALLATION
May 31 - Jun 3, 10:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon
(R) Service between 95 St and 36 St in Brooklyn is replaced by the (N) and free shuttle buses
Late night (R) service is not running

TRACK MAINTENANCE
Jun 1 - 2, Saturday & Sunday
(D) Trains run approximately every 12 minutes, days and evenings

Now if the (D)(N)(R) sharing a track is an issue that results in the (D) seeing a service cut, and the (R) isn't going all the way to Bay Ridge, why not just cut the (R) to Whitehall Street and run the (N) via tunnel/4 Avenue Local instead? If you have just the (D) and (N) on the express track, then the (D) wouldn't need a service cut plus most people already crowd the (N) and avoid the 9th Av bound (R) trains to get the shuttle buses at 59th anyway...

They did this before in 2010 ironically for the original renovations at 86th Street.

12 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

Now if the (D)(N)(R) sharing a track is an issue that results in the (D) seeing a service cut, and the (R) isn't going all the way to Bay Ridge, why not just cut the (R) to Whitehall Street and run the (N) via tunnel/4 Avenue Local instead? If you have just the (D) and (N) on the express track, then the (D) wouldn't need a service cut plus most people already crowd the (N) and avoid the 9th Av bound (R) trains to get the shuttle buses at 59th anyway...

They did this before in 2010 ironically for the original renovations at 86th Street.

What about (D)(N) via express SB and local NB with the (R) cut back to Jay?

Edited by R68OnBroadway

23 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

What you're proposing would be a 6/5/0 split in Brooklyn (in Manhattan, all Broadway trains will skip 49th Street, and that'll be 6/5/5). What the MTA is doing is 5/5/5 (far from great, but it's still closer to normal service, especially considering that the (N) will still have to take on Sea Beach passengers).