Planned Subway Service Changes

Well, the MTA provides plenty of convenient information about weekend service changes online. However, I realized that the only way to figure out why service is being changed is to read their press releases, which I doubt that many riders do. So, for curious people (like me), I'll be posting that information provided by the MTA right here in this thread.

Other people can post information too, but I hope to avoid redundant posts. Discussion about the service changes posted is welcome. Note: this thread is not meant for unplanned or emergency service changes; use this thread instead. This is not meant to be like the "what if" thread, either, and I hope not to see any fantasy G.O.s. Feel free to post FASTRACK service changes for informational purposes, but discussion about FASTRACK should probably be kept to this thread.

Okay, I'll start us off with this weekend just as an example:

(D)

From 12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 11 to 5 a.m. Monday, August 13, Bronx-bound D trains are rerouted via the N line from Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue to 36th Street in Brooklyn due to station and line structure rehabilitation south of 9th Avenue.

From 12:01 a.m. to 6:30 a.m., Saturday, August 11 and Sunday, August 12 and from 12:01 a.m. to 5 a.m., Monday, August 13, Bronx-bound D trains run express from 36th Street to Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center, skipping DeKalb Avenue, due to track maintenance and replacement at DeKalb Avenue.

From 11 p.m. Friday, August 10 to 5 a.m., Monday, August 13, 205th Street-bound D trains run express from 145th Street to Tremont Avenue due to repair and replacement of corroded steel between 161st and 167th Streets.

From 12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 11 to 5 a.m. Monday, August 13, 205th Street-bound D trains skip 182nd-183rd Sts due to column base and steel repairs.

(E)

From 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, August 11, Manhattan-bound E trains skip Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd due to stop cable replacement along the Queens Blvd line.

From 12:01 a.m. to 5 a.m., Sunday, August 12, Manhattan-bound E trains run express from 71st Avenue to Roosevelt Avenue due to scraping and painting track ceilings at Grand Avenue and Elmhurst Avenue stations.

(F)

From 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday, August 11, Brooklyn-bound F trains skip Sutphin Blvd and Briarwood-Van Wyck Blvd due to stop cable replacement along the Queens Blvd line.

(F)(G)

At all times until Fall 2012, F and G trains skip Smith-9th Sts. in both directions due to station rehabilitation. Customers may use the B61 for connections between Smith-9th Sts. station and 4th Avenue-9th Street station, where F, G and R trains are available. Customers may also use the B57bus for connections between Smith-9th Sts. station and Carroll Street station, where F and G trains are available.

(N)

From 10 p.m. Friday, August 10 to 5 a.m. Monday, August 13, uptown N trains run express from Canal Street to 34th Street-Herald Square due to electronic security system installation.

(Q)

From 12:01 a.m. Saturday, August 11 to 5 a.m. Monday, August 13, Manhattan-bound Q trains are rerouted via the R from DeKalb Avenue to Canal Street due to track replacement and maintenance at DeKalb Avenue.

(R)

From 6:30 a.m. to 12 midnight, Saturday, August 11 and Sunday, August 12, uptown R trains run express from Canal Street to 34th Street-Herald Square due to electronic security system installation.

From 12:01 a.m. to 6:30 a.m., Saturday, August 11 and Sunday, August 12, and from 12:01 a.m. to 5 a.m., Monday, August 13, there are no R trains between 59th Street and 36th Street in Brooklyn due to track replacement and maintenance at DeKalb Avenue. Customers should take the N instead. R trains run between Bay Ridge-95th Street and 59th Street in Brooklyn.

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=120809-NYCT1

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Threxx: Even before the hack/switch, the MTA Press Release section was updated sporadically at best for a time.

I'll leave this thread open as I don't see any harm coming from it. Though I will RECOMMEND (once again RECOMMEND) that you try to limit the number of recurring service changes, especially ones that happen practically all the time, like the N via the D or vice versa.

Foamers get your Cameras Out, Because the Grand Street Shuttle will Come Back for a limited time

D.png No trains between Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and 34 St-Herald Sq

F.pngN.pngS.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Aug 25 - 27

D.png service operates as follows:

1. Between Stillwell Av and the Whitehall St R.png Station, making local stops

via Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr and Jay St-MetroTech

2. Between 34 St-Herald Sq and 205 St

S.png Shuttle train operates every 20 minutes between W 4 St and Grand St, stopping at B'way-Lafayette St.

Travel Alternatives

For service between Manhattan and Brooklyn, take the F.png or N.png.

• Transfer between D.png and F.png trains at 34 St-Herald Sq and/or Jay St-MetroTech.

• Transfer between D.png and N.png trains at 34 St-Herald Sq and/or Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr.

For W 4 St and B'way-Lafayette St, take the F.png instead.

For Grand St, take the S.png shuttle train.

• Transfer between F.png and S.png trains at B'way-Lafayette St.

@Threxx: Even before the hack/switch, the MTA Press Release section was updated sporadically at best for a time.

I'll leave this thread open as I don't see any harm coming from it. Though I will RECOMMEND (once again RECOMMEND) that you try to limit the number of recurring service changes, especially ones that happen practically all the time, like the N via the D or vice versa.

Thanks for not "pulling a Shortline" so to speak :lol::lol::lol: and locking the thread right away. Yeah, I was debating with myself earlier today whether or not to just abandon this thread...Repetitive GOs can get annoying and a little bit pointless to post...I'll just see whether anything noteworthy or interesting comes up and then maybe I'll post it here. I certainly don't have my heart set on this thread...

Here's something rather interesting:

Weekend, 6 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Aug 18 - 19 • Aug 25 - 26 • Sep 8 - 9 • Sep 15 - 16

3.png service operates between 148 St and Flatbush Av 2.png, via the Franklin Av Station.

4.png trains make local stops between Franklin Av and Utica Av.

shuttle_bus.png buses run between Utica Av and New Lots Av, making all 3.png stops.

For Nostrand, Kingston and Utica Avs, take the 4.png.

• Transfer between 3.png and 4.png trains at Franklin Av.

For service between Utica Av and New Lots Av, take a shuttle bus.

• Transfer between 4.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Utica Av.

Edited by NX Express

^^ Because then us here on Nostrand Av wouldn't have double the weekend service.

Also, this weekend on the (N) and (Q) are running via Whitehall. Every other downtown (N) will be turning at Whitehall St, so Sea Beach will only have 20-minute service. The (N) is mentioned as running via the (R) between Atlantic and Canal specifically, and isn't mentioned as running local below Atlantic, so presumably it will be using everyone's favorite switch between Atlantic and Dekalb.

Well the (D) is running via the (N) northbound which that would not be a problem for northbound Sea Beach riders. In southbound direction there is no problem at most stations southbound ridership is light but at 8th av that would be a problem. Most of the Asians crowd up at the front which will lead to longer boarding times and there will be a higher chance of people holding the doors at 8th av since it's very busy which led to delays.

Effective 12:01 a.m., Saturday, August 18, Knickerbocker Avenue will close in both directions for station rehabilitation for five months.

Central Avenue is also scheduled to close for five months from March through August 2013. Over the next twelve months, Seneca Avenue, Forest Avenue and Fresh Pond Road stations will have important station component work done as well.

Read more: Source

How does this work?

Planned Work

Weekend, 6 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Aug 18 - 19 • Aug 25 - 26

3.png service operates between 148 St and Flatbush Av 2.png, via the Franklin Av Station.

shuttle_bus.png buses run between Utica Av and New Lots Av, making all 3.png stops.

For Nostrand, Kingston and Utica Avs, take the 4.png.

• Transfer between 3.png and 4.png trains at Franklin Av.

For service between Utica Av and New Lots Av, take a shuttle bus.

• Transfer between 4.png trains and shuttle_bus.png buses at Utica Av.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

Why the heck would they bring back the Grand St (S)? That seems like a "foamerish" solution out of the What If? thread. If I were in charge, I'd just call it the (D) shuttle to avoid confusion.

Then you'd have three different D train lines running at the same time: 1) 205 St to 34 St-Herald Sq, 2) Whitehall St to Coney Island and 3) W 4 St to Grand St. And in my opinion, that's even more confusing that what's actually happening next weekend with the split D service.

How does this work?

Planned Work

Weekend, 6 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Aug 18 - 19 • Aug 25 - 26

Easy, the 4 switches express and local tracks east of Franklin Av.

http://www.nycsubway...southeast_2.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think the MTA did a really good job phrasing the (R) via 63 St GO. Unlike the usual "(R) runs via the (F)" message, they specifically said, "(R) trains skip 5 Av/59 St, Lexington Av/59 St, and Queens Plaza". That's what I think is the most clear: what stations the train isn't stopping at. Then, the description can go into more detail about where it is stopping and service alternatives along 63 St.

I think the MTA did a really good job phrasing the (R) via 63 St GO. Unlike the usual " (R) runs via the (F)" message, they specifically said, " (R) trains skip 5 Av/59 St, Lexington Av/59 St, and Queens Plaza". That's what I think is the most clear: what stations the train isn't stopping at. Then, the description can go into more detail about where it is stopping and service alternatives along 63 St.

Agreed, I was on one of those trains. They should of sent it via bridge to cause less delays at 59th-7th Av.