Planned Subway Service Changes

5 hours ago, Snowblock said:

In case you've been living under a rock for the last week, there was a really bad fire at 110-Lenox. With this GO, there can't be service running on the Lenox Ave line so that the station can be repaired with unhindered track access. As I stated above, there are not enough midnight (3) crews to run 137-New Lots on a reasonable headway and at this time we're having enough trouble filling regular jobs, let alone create GO jobs. So (3) gets suspended, the (2) runs down the east side to Flatbush and that leaves the (1) as the sole West Side service on the midnights, as well as the only service who can make the Park Place-Atlantic run. The M55 is already free, so can be used to go Chambers to South Ferry (and no, there's no work being done on that portion). Due to lack of midnight crews and no GO crews being hired, this 242-Atlantic service will run at a minimum of every 30 minutes.

Couldn't they run it 215-Atlantic and say take the :bus_bullet_bx7: to :bus_bullet_bx9: for 242? (or run a special bus from 215-242?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jova42R said:

Couldn't they run it 215-Atlantic and say take the :bus_bullet_bx7: to :bus_bullet_bx9: for 242? (or run a special bus from 215-242?

No. The Bx7 stops running at 1am and the Bx9 doesn't stop at 215. They're already scrambling to get the shuttle buses on the Lenox Ave line covered. And why on earth would you want to make 215, a location with no crew facilities and not even a dispatcher's office, a terminal?

Edited by Snowblock

See above. MIght I also add that in the time it would take to relay the (1) at 215, it could have completed the trip up to 242. So once again I ask WHY would you want it to end at 215 and force essential employees commuting home to take 2 buses?

Edited by Snowblock

35 minutes ago, Snowblock said:

See above. MIght I also add that in the time it would take to relay the (1) at 215, it could have completed the trip up to 242. So once again I ask WHY would you want it to end at 215 and force essential employees commuting home to take 2 buses?

Thank you for bringing some sanity to this discussion.

Weekend of 5/9/2020, the (D) and (F) Trains are supposed to swap routes between Manhattan and Brooklyn which is hinted under this (D) Train Service change. However with the whole coronavirus epidemic I wouldn't be surprised if the G.O ends up being canceled.

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 9 - 10, Sat and Sun, 6:45 AM to 7 PM
(D) Manhattan-bound trains skip Avenue U, Avenue P, Avenue N, Bay Pkwy, Avenue I and Ditmas Av (F)  stations 

For service to these stations, take the (D) to Kings Hwy, 18 Av or Church Av and transfer to a Coney Island-bound (D) .  

For service from these stations, take the (D) to 18 Av, Kings Hwy or Avenue X and transfer to a Manhattan-bound (D) .  

• 2 weeks later...

An update to the G.O above:

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 8 - 11, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 5 AM
(F) Service is rerouted between W 4 St and Stillwell Av

(F) trains replace the (D) in both directions between W 4 St and Stillwell Av.

(D) trains replace the (F) in both directions between W 4 St and Stillwell Av.

• Transfer between (D) and (F) trains at W 4 St.

TRACK MAINTENANCE
May 8 - 11, Fri 9:30 PM to Mon 5 AM
(D) Service is rerouted between 59 St-Columbus Circle and Stillwell Av

No (D) service in Manhattan at 7 Av, 47-50 Sts, 42 St-Bryant Pk, 34 St-Herald Sq, B'way-Lafayette St and Grand St.

(D) trains are rerouted in Manhattan and Brooklyn running via the (A) local in both directions between 145 St and W 4 St and via the (F) to/from Stillwell Av, the last stop.

(F) trains make all (D) stops between W 4 St and Stillwell Av.
Note: During late night, (F) trains make local (D) stops in Brooklyn.

Seems like the work is between 59th St and 47th St.

• 4 weeks later...

No (F) service between Church Av and Coney Island this weekend. 

CULVER LINE SIGNAL MODERNIZATION Learn more about this project
May 22 - 26, Fri 9:45 PM to Tue 1 AM (No subway service overnight between 1 AM and 5 AM)

1 hour ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

June 6-7, the (J) is single tracking across the Williamsburg bridge and runs every 24 mins. Usually work on the bridge results in buses. 

They likely won't be able to have enough bus operators to have people separated enough from themselves, hence why they're running the reduced train service instead. They might be able to get away with those frequencies over the bridge. However, if it's the entire line, then that's a different story. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

4 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

They likely won't be able to have enough bus operators to have people separated enough from themselves, hence why they're running the reduced train service instead. They might be able to get away with those frequencies over the bridge. However, if it's the entire line, then that's a different story. 

The entire line is running every 24 minutes that weekend as well as the weekend of the 20th.

(N) returns to Coney Island Stillwell Av, and Now the (F) will not operate to this station on this Memorial Day Weekend including Monday. Running both directions from 179 St(Queens) to Church Av(Brooklyn).

Edited by bwwnyc123

2 hours ago, bwwnyc123 said:

(N) returns to Coney Island Stillwell Av, and Now the (F) will not operate to this station on this Memorial Day Weekend including Monday. Running both directions from 179 St(Queens) to Church Av(Brooklyn).

and no shuttle buses for the (F) due to likely reduced crew availability.

10 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

and no shuttle buses for the (F) due to likely reduced crew availability.

Hmm… let’s see how difficult it will be to try the alternatives:

• Ditmas Avenue: at Church Avenue transfer to the B67 or B69 to Cortelyou Road and walk 1 block south—or just walk 3 blocks from Church Avenue.
  • 18 Avenue:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
  • Avenue I:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
  • Bay Parkway: (I give up)

There are way too many possibilities to explain. Folks are screwed today unless they know the bus network and weekend service really well.

8 hours ago, CenSin said:

Hmm… let’s see how difficult it will be to try the alternatives:

• Ditmas Avenue: at Church Avenue transfer to the B67 or B69 to Cortelyou Road and walk 1 block south—or just walk 3 blocks from Church Avenue.
  • 18 Avenue:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 and B8 buses to McDonald and 18 Avenues.
  • Avenue I:
    • at Jay Street–MetroTech or 4 Avenue–9 Street transfer to the (R) to 53 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
    • at Broadway–Lafayette Street transfer to the (D) to 50 Street, then take the B11 bus to McDonald Avenue and Avenue I.
  • Bay Parkway: (I give up)

There are way too many possibilities to explain. Folks are screwed today unless they know the bus network and weekend service really well.

That's exactly it. How many folks are really on the subway this weekend (especially today with the rain keeping subway-dependent beach-goers at bay.

• 2 weeks later...

No (F) service between Church Av and Stillwell Av this weekend. 

To add on that, mainly on Sunday (starts Saturday 7:30 PM), all Coney Island bound (Q) trains will run via the (D) line to Stillwell Av, however, making express stops. There's no southbound service on the Brighton line. Alternatives are the B68, B49, (2) and Franklin Av (S) . 

37 minutes ago, Calvin said:

No (F) service between Church Av and Stillwell Av this weekend.

I had an incredibly hard time getting bus alternatives for the (F) last week, mainly due to the fact that no route is close enough and parallels the Culver. That long list of bus offerings on the MTA website is still there—no (F) shuttle bus.

41 minutes ago, Calvin said:

all Coney Island bound (Q) trains will run via the (D) line to Stillwell Av, however, making express stops.

From the MTA website:

Coney Island-bound (Q) trains run via the (D) express from Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr to Stillwell Av, making stops at 36 St, 9 Av, 62 St and Bay Pkwy.

Gonna be a really quick trip southbound if there’s no track work on the West End…

• 1 month later...

Not that it can be called a true Fastrack with the nightly system shutdowns, bu there is a 4th Ave Fastrack south of 36th St for the next 3 weeks. After 1130 PM no (R) trains running and (N) trains run via West End with a 8 Ave-Coney Island shuttle. 

Also the weekends of 7/18 and 7/25 the (Q) is running via 6 Ave Express between Dekalb and 47/50 then via the (F) to Lex/63rd. 

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

13 hours ago, RestrictOnTheHanger said:

Also the weekends of 7/18 and 7/25 the (Q) is running via 6 Ave Express between Dekalb and 47/50 then via the (F) to Lex/63rd.

Kinda sucks that they wouldn’t at least try to hit 14 Street for the (L) since there’s no service across the Williamsburg Bridge. They’ve got just about every other Broadway stop approximated otherwise:

• 57 Street ((F)(Q))
    • ↖ 57 Street–7 Avenue ((N)(R))
  • 47–50 Streets–Rockefeller Center ((D)(F)(Q))
    • 49 Street ((N)(R))
  • 42 Street–Bryant Park ((7)(D)(F)(Q))
    • Times Square–42 Street ((1)(3)(7)(A)(C)(E)(N)(R))
  • 34 Street–Herald Square ((D)(F)(N)(Q)(R))
    • 28 Street ((N)(R))
  • 23 Street ((F))
    • 23 Street ((N)(R))
  • 14 Street ((1)(3)(F)(L))
    • 14 Street–Union Square ((2)(4)(5)(6)(L)(N)(R))
  • West 4 Street–Washington Square ((A)(C)(E)(D)(F)(Q))
    • ↖ 8 Street–NYU ((N)(R))
  • Broadway–Lafayette Street ((6)(D)(F)(Q))
    • ↖ Prince Street ((N)(R))
  • Grand Street ((D)(Q))
    • ↖ Canal Street ((6)(N)(R))
Edited by CenSin

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Kinda sucks that they wouldn’t at least try to hit 14 Street for the (L) since there’s no service across the Williamsburg Bridge. They’ve got just about every other Broadway stop approximated otherwise:

I think the speed over the W4 switches is slower than the 47-50 switch to the 63rd st line. So it makes more sense to merge/diverge with the F there instead of W4, one less diverging move.