Planned Subway Service Changes

15 minutes ago, Daniel The Cool said:

Are you sure about that? Because the old <C> between Bedford Park Blvd and Rockaway Park Route was actually longer than the old (E) route between Jamaica-179th Street and Rockaway Park by a couple of miles.

No, it's actually the other way around.

Jamaica-179th Street to Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue is 1 mile longer than Norwood to Far Rockaway. I just measured it with the Google Earth ruler to as much of a tee as possible.

A route doing 179th Street-8th Avenue-Cranberry-Fulton-Far Rockaway is longer than any train that runs from the Bronx.

Using these rough measurements, the QBL from 179th Street to 53rd Street/8th Avenue is about ~12.80 miles, while the combined portions of Grand Concourse (~6 miles from 205th Street to145th Street) and 8th Avenue (~4.70 miles from 145th Street to 53rd Street/8th Avenue) sum up to about ~10.7 miles.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, GojiMet86 said:

No, it's actually the other way around.

Jamaica-179th Street to Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue is 1 mile longer than Norwood to Far Rockaway. I just measured it with the Google Earth ruler to as much of a tee as possible.

A route doing 179th Street-8th Avenue-Cranberry-Fulton-Far Rockaway is longer than any train that runs from the Bronx.

Using these rough measurements, the QBL from 179th Street to 53rd Street/8th Avenue is about ~12.80 miles, while the combined portions of Grand Concourse (~6 miles from 205th Street to145th Street) and 8th Avenue (~4.70 miles from 145th Street to 53rd Street/8th Avenue) sum up to about ~10.7 miles.

I just did measurements as well, and I got very similar numbers to that. The (E) going from 42nd St. PABT (through 53rd st. tunnel) to 179th was around a mile longer than the (C) going from 42nd St. PABT (across CPW) to 205th street.

Both are terrifyingly long in their own rights, especially if both were to start at Far Rockaway and run local the entire time. If the (MTA) ever extended the (E)'s IND tracks at Parson's to southern Queens and Springfield gardens/Laurelton. A route between there and Far Rockaway may have been one of the longest possible routings in the subway system period. The (A) and (2) have some of the longest overnight locals in the system, but a fully local (E) between those two destinations would be even longer, and (for train crew) would probably be borderline unbearable. 

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks
Fixed minor error. Also, 500th post!

On 3/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, R32 3838 said:

I doubt they'll use 8 car R179's during this GO. It's going up concourse which has very heavy ridership meaning 100% full length trains. It'll likely be a mixure of R46's that the (C) uses now and R68/R68A's from the (B)(D) lines. Maybe they'll slip two or more full length R179's from the (A) (Hardly doubt it because it'll confuse (C) line crews).

It will have to be the 68's added, because the (C) is being extended, and the (D) cut way back, so only that line will have the extra cars for the service, which is on their own line anway.

So this will be interesting!

1 hour ago, Eric B said:

It will have to be the 68's added, because the (C) is being extended, and the (D) cut way back, so only that line will have the extra cars for the service, which is on their own line anway.

The Yankees are in town for the first weekend of the GO, they better have full length trains. Yeah, Yankee Stadium is only going to be at 20% capacity, but what if most of them come by subway?

41 minutes ago, Eric B said:

this is exactly what i figured

On 3/29/2021 at 2:45 AM, R32 3838 said:

I doubt they'll use 8 car R179's during this GO. It's going up concourse which has very heavy ridership meaning 100% full length trains. It'll likely be a mixure of R46's that the (C) uses now and R68/R68A's from the (B)(D) lines. Maybe they'll slip two or more full length R179's from the (A) (Hardly doubt it because it'll confuse (C) line crews).

They might needa pull out certain amounts of R68/As to Concourse to run on the (C) Especially since its goes to Norwood - 205th And to Euclid Avenue via local (v e r y l o n g r o u t e). They ain't gonna bring n' 10 car R179s from the (A) since the R68/As from concourse are 10 car sets so there's no point bringing in 10 car set R179s running on the (C) but I might need to clarify if they're gonna bring in R68/As from Concourse or the (C) will just run more R46s and R179s

8 hours ago, Jacob said:

They might needa pull out certain amounts of R68/As to Concourse to run on the (C) Especially since its goes to Norwood - 205th And to Euclid Avenue via local (v e r y l o n g r o u t e). They ain't gonna bring n' 10 car R179s from the (A) since the R68/As from concourse are 10 car sets so there's no point bringing in 10 car set R179s running on the (C) but I might need to clarify if they're gonna bring in R68/As from Concourse or the (C) will just run more R46s and R179s

Anything that is 75 feet from the Grand Concourse are in four car sets which equal to eight cars overall. It is very likely that the (C) train is going to get R179 sets from the (A) train, in addition to the 46 and 68 that are definitely going in service for this coming general order.

Why do yall think the (C) will use the A line 179s? The (A) line will be running normally and will need the 179s for its service. Also C line crews are use to the 8 car units and suddenly putting 10 car NTT on the (C) can be confusing. R68/68As will most likely supplement the R46s, not 10 car R179s. There's literally a yard full of unused 68s that weekend but yet yall think they will dip into the A line fleet for equipment..

I like R179s too and would be cool to see them on Concourse. But going off of history, I just don't see it happening.

13 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I like R179s too and would be cool to see them on Concourse. But going off of history, I just don't see it happening.

Here's what I think would happen:

-the (C) will be all 600 foot equipment, which means the 8-car R179's are going to stay put on these weekends.

-As you mentioned, the (C) line will have just about all of Concourse's R68's to themselves, along with whatever's in Pitkin to backfill the remainder of the line. This should keep any weird yard moves between 207 and Concourse to a bare minimum (probably just that R68 loaner being brought back from (A) service back to Concourse and that will be all.... by the way is that even still a thing?)

-the (D) in Brooklyn will simply use the R68/R68A's from CI that normally run on (B) train services during the week. An R46 sighting wouldn't shock me tho.

Edited by paulrivera

1 minute ago, paulrivera said:

Here's what I think would happen:

-the (C) will be all 600 foot equipment, which means the 8-car R179's are going to stay put on these weekends.

-As you mentioned, the (C) line will have just about all of Concourse's R68's to themselves, along with whatever's in Pitkin to backfill the remainder of the line. This should keep any weird yard moves between 207 and Concourse to a bare minimum (probably just that R68 loaner being brought back from (A) service back to Concourse and that will be all.... by the way is that even still a thing?)

Yes, they still send out a 68 from the (B) train to the (A) train for service to Far Rockaway on the weekdays. It is just one 68 that terminates upstairs as a (B) train at Harlem 145 Street and goes to 207 Street to get laid up for evening (A) service from 207 Street - Washington Heights to Mott Avenue.

On 3/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Maxwell179 said:

I wonder why they chose the (C) and not the (A) 

P a i n

(A) Trains comin' out of Far Rockaway And back to the Bronx, Y'know how much pain this will bring riders... Including Innocent me..

6 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Why aren't they running the (C) overnight on Concourse instead of the (D)? All that time changing rollsigns when it'd just make more sense to keep the (C) full time on Concourse...

They don't normally run the (C) overnight anyways... And besides the "one-seat ride for folks along the Concourse" argument, why on Earth would you make those crews work extra hours when there can just be a (D) shuttle service instead?

And it's not like they'll NEED to waste "all that time changing rollsigns", there'll probably be a few R68 / R68A sets left over at the Concourse Yard that can be used for the (D) overnight shuttle.

26 minutes ago, LegoBrickBreaker101 said:

They don't normally run the (C) overnight anyways... And besides the "one-seat ride for folks along the Concourse" argument, why on Earth would you make those crews work extra hours when there can just be a (D) shuttle service instead?

And it's not like they'll NEED to waste "all that time changing rollsigns", there'll probably be a few R68 / R68A sets left over at the Concourse Yard that can be used for the (D) overnight shuttle.

They're not working extra hours. The (C) "overnight" is the (D) shuttle to 145th St...

2 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

They're not working extra hours. The (C) "overnight" is the (D) shuttle to 145th St...

Look at it this way: the (C) running from Euclid to 205th is still a (C) for the majority of its route. If you truncated that service to just run between 145th and 205th, that isn't really the (C) anymore, even if the majority of folks know that the (C) is replacing (D) service along the Concourse.

I know it seems counterproductive to call the overnight shuttle a "(D)", but it's the most effective way at differentiating the day service where trains from the Bronx are still running into Midtown and Brooklyn, and night service where trains are only running to/from Harlem. 

5 minutes ago, Hakeem Spivey said:

Due to weekend service changes, C Trains will replace D Trains between 145th Street and Norwood-205th Street. Gonna be great to finally see NTTs, and even R46s, on the Concourse Line. Do they have the automated announcement programs set up, though for 205th?

I merged this into the planned subway changes post because your question was more appropriate here.

19 minutes ago, Hakeem Spivey said:

Due to weekend service changes, C Trains will replace D Trains between 145th Street and Norwood-205th Street. Gonna be great to finally see NTTs, and even R46s, on the Concourse Line. Do they have the automated announcement programs set up, though for 205th?

Yes. 

On 4/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, Jacob said:

Please, it’s not a very long route. What’s a really long route is coming all the way from Far Rockaway, via Local.

51 minutes ago, R68ACTrain said:

Please, it’s not a very long route. What’s a really long route is coming all the way from Far Rockaway, via Local.

(A) from 207th to JFK via local. I’ve done that - my “I rode these trains all my life” father could not fathom taking (E) or LIRR to Jamaica to JFK, so up at 2am to take a 7am flight.

(Not even (4) from Fordham to GCT to (7) to Hunterspoint for LIRR was an option to him.)

3 hours ago, Hakeem Spivey said:

Better question, do you think they will run the R179's from the (C) along Concourse? Mainly because the (C) runs 8 car R179's and not the 10 car ones that (A) uses. Maybe during the overnight (D) shuttles, I doubt they'll use them during the day since they won't really be needed. The R68's running on the (C) are definitely going to run, there's no way they won't.

11 hours ago, Vulturious said:

Better question, do you think they will run the R179's from the (C) along Concourse? Mainly because the (C) runs 8 car R179's and not the 10 car ones that (A) uses. Maybe during the overnight (D) shuttles, I doubt they'll use them during the day since they won't really be needed. The R68's running on the (C) are definitely going to run, there's no way they won't.

There aren’t 8-Car conductor boards on the concourse line so there will NOT be any 8-car R179’s via concourse. The (C) will have a few R46’s as per usual and some R68’s. And to all concerned: Be sensible, mindful, and careful when you go fanning this weekend. 😊