Planned Subway Service Changes

4 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

The (2) does have scheduled trips to New Lots Av. The (5) trips to Utica Av continue Not In Service to New Lots Av and stay there for the PM rush, so frankly its actually better.

I am aware of that, and that still doesn't make what I said any less accurate.

Also, it wouldn't necessarily be better, because now you would have (2) trains going to New Lots, Utica, Rector Street, and Flatbush Avenue. It doesn't make sense to have trains operating towards that many destinations simultaneously, especially during the rush hour. As of right now, all (2) trains head into Brooklyn, with a select few going out to New Lots Ave. Under that setup, you'll have some (2)'s terminate in Manhattan, and you'll have more trains which aren't going down Nostrand Ave. 

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

People would just assume those Rector Street bound (2) trains are going to Brooklyn on the southern end, and then would have to transfer at Chambers Street if they're one of those trips to Rector Street (that or be caught off guard when the train pulls into Cortlandt Street). 

The (2) also doesn't normally go to Utica. Neither does the (5) , but it would make no sense to bring the (2) into that if those specific trips are (5) trains. 

If the (5) trains were going to Flatbush, then I would agree with you. Ultimately, some group of riders would have to have some of their regular trips end somewhere else.

Plus, swapping the Manhattan routings is common enough, that people are used to seeing (5) trains on 7th Avenue. 

• 1 month later...

Significant work coming up that impacts the (C)(E)(F) and (G) trains on weekends, from Friday night to Monday morning (8/6-8/9, 8/13-8/16)

https://new.mta.info/ftrain-summer21

IMO, they overcomplicated this more than it had to. It was different when the (F) was operating on Culver back in the fall & winter in one continuous section, but if the (G) is operating on the Culver line, then the (E) and (F) swap was completely unnecessary. It could have simply been (E) to WTC, (F) to Delancey and call it a day. If they were concerned about capacity with the 8-car R179s on the (C) potentially leading to overcrowding, then at most I would have swapped the (E) and the (C), so that there is consistent 10-car trains throughout the weekend (and since the (E) already operates via 8th Avenue on a regular basis). 

9 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

then the (E) and (F) swap was completely unnecessary. It could have simply been (E) to WTC, (F) to Delancey and call it a day.

They've had such a hard-on putting the (D) and (F) on 8th Avenue and the (E) on 6th Avenue during the weekends. I swear we're gonna need blue (D) and (F) bullets and an orange (E) bullet on this site before long.

4 hours ago, paulrivera said:

They've had such a hard-on putting the (D) and (F) on 8th Avenue and the (E) on 6th Avenue during the weekends. I swear we're gonna need blue (D) and (F) bullets and an orange (E) bullet on this site before long.

If we wanted to be comprehensive, we would already have more of the established ones like the yellow (B) and (13).

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 5:45 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Significant work coming up that impacts the (C)(E)(F) and (G) trains on weekends, from Friday night to Monday morning (8/6-8/9, 8/13-8/16)

https://new.mta.info/ftrain-summer21

IMO, they overcomplicated this more than it had to. It was different when the (F) was operating on Culver back in the fall & winter in one continuous section, but if the (G) is operating on the Culver line, then the (E) and (F) swap was completely unnecessary. It could have simply been (E) to WTC, (F) to Delancey and call it a day. If they were concerned about capacity with the 8-car R179s on the (C) potentially leading to overcrowding, then at most I would have swapped the (E) and the (C), so that there is consistent 10-car trains throughout the weekend (and since the (E) already operates via 8th Avenue on a regular basis). 

Seriously. I have a feeling this is all driven by the operations and crew picks. As you said, this could be more easily done by sending the (E) to Euclid and terminating the (F) at Delancey/Essex. Nothing is gained on a rider's standpoint by rerouting the (E) and (F) yet again, nor are any of the corridors out of service since both 8th Ave / 53rd St and 6th Ave / 63rd St are still in use. The usual reason for having the (F) stop at Hoyt-Schermerhorn is to facilitate a quick transfer between it and the extended (G) for 6th Ave / Culver service. With the (F) on 8th Ave, that purpose is lost, so the whole reroute becomes pointless.

If it is a matter of crew choice and the longer-run jobs need to come out of 179 Street, they can easily flip the Queens terminals for the two lines so that the JC-Delancey route is roughly the same as JC-WTC. There is precedence for flipping the terminals as they've done so continuously for nearly a year with the (2) and (5) for Clark St work a few years back. Also, it's much less confusing for casual riders since everyone knows the (E) serves 8th Ave and the (F) runs along 6th.

Quite clear that they do not really do this based on the customer perspective.  Ideally, the public designations of these trains should be the ones that make the most sense for the customers.  Obviously, when there is construction, the trains can't do their regular routing, but at least in the above example, it seems clear that E should stay on 8th and F should stay on 6th.

2 hours ago, Abba said:

So this weekend the (1) is terminating at 238th st. Question: 

why can’t it terminate there when there is a switch problem or signal problem at 242?

They do, however IIRC because of the "interlock" setup, trains have to switch to M track before 238th St, which is why there are those certain (1) trips that end at 215th St.

• 3 weeks later...

https://new.mta.info/signal_upgrades?fbclid=IwAR25XtwYK0Rai7CbWvibXhh2wvdcXRjlkXRWPMAJ_-08n5jbVVsEOe9h9_0

Heads up for the Culver riders on the (F) and Crosstown (G) :

Weekdays, August 30 – September 24, Monday to Friday (except Labor Day, September 6)
<F> express service in Brooklyn will be cancelled. However, they will run regular at that time (All (F) line stops). 
(G) trains will be extended to 18 Av on the (F) line. 
During the morning rush hour, (G) trains to 18 Av will skip 4 Av-9 St, 15 St-Prospect Park, Fort Hamilton Pkwy, and Ditmas Av. (F) trains will make these stops. 

Weekdays, September 20 to October 1, Monday to Friday
Both (F) and (G) trains will run at slower speeds between Jay St-MetroTech and Carroll St.
During rush hours, some (F) trains will skip Bergen St, Carroll St, and Smith-9 Sts. Listen to announcements to see if your train is running regularly or being bypassed, use the (G) or next  (F) train. 

* Also, (D) trains won't run to/from the Coney Island terminal starting September 18th, the week to start the fall season up to 2022. 

Substitute is to take the B64 after leaving Bay 50th St and another accommodation, a free shuttle bus or use the (N) at 62nd St to New Utrecht Av . 

https://www.amny.com/transit/d-train-service-cuts-coming-to-southern-brooklyn-for-three-months-this-fall/amp/?fbclid=IwAR1p2yD1lFy5cpgu3YMGnBSh_mOOhr2C9ip8hxZ5MOK3Jz8Qc0oWTQLIKLs

Edited by Calvin

2 hours ago, Calvin said:

https://new.mta.info/signal_upgrades?fbclid=IwAR25XtwYK0Rai7CbWvibXhh2wvdcXRjlkXRWPMAJ_-08n5jbVVsEOe9h9_0

Heads up for the Culver riders on the (F) and Crosstown (G) :

Weekdays, August 30 – September 24, Monday to Friday (except Labor Day, September 6)
<F> express service in Brooklyn will be cancelled. However, they will run regular at that time (All (F) line stops). 
(G) trains will be extended to 18 Av on the (F) line. 
During the morning rush hour, (G) trains to 18 Av will skip 4 Av-9 St, 15 St-Prospect Park, Fort Hamilton Pkwy, and Ditmas Av. (F) trains will make these stops. 

Weekdays, September 20 to October 1, Monday to Friday
Both (F) and (G) trains will run at slower speeds between Jay St-MetroTech and Carroll St.
During rush hours, some (F) trains will skip Bergen St, Carroll St, and Smith-9 Sts. Listen to announcements to see if your train is running regularly or being bypassed, use the (G) or next  (F) train. 

* Also, (D) trains won't run to/from the Coney Island terminal starting September 18th, the week to start the fall season up to 2022. 

Substitute is to take the B64 after leaving Bay 50th St and another accommodation, a free shuttle bus or use the (N) at 62nd St to New Utrecht Av . 

https://www.amny.com/transit/d-train-service-cuts-coming-to-southern-brooklyn-for-three-months-this-fall/amp/?fbclid=IwAR1p2yD1lFy5cpgu3YMGnBSh_mOOhr2C9ip8hxZ5MOK3Jz8Qc0oWTQLIKLs

Interesting. I wonder what they are doing exactly.

• Structural work for the installation of a new track crossover at the Church Av station. This switch will give us the ability to reroute service when there are unplanned disruptions or planned service changes for construction/maintenance

My guess is that they will finally install switches between the local and express tracks in the tunnel. Currently, to skip Ditmas Avenue, southbound trains must also skip 4 Avenue–9 Street, 15 Street–Prospect Park, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Ditmas Avenue, Avenue I, Bay Parkway, Avenue N, and Avenue P. In the northbound direction, trains skip those station and Avenue U.

Edited by CenSin

1 hour ago, CenSin said:

Interesting. I wonder what they are doing exactly.

My guess is that they will finally install switches between the local and express tracks in the tunnel. Currently, to skip Ditmas Avenue, southbound trains must also skip 4 Avenue–9 Street, 15 Street–Prospect Park, Fort Hamilton Parkway, Ditmas Avenue, Avenue I, Bay Parkway, Avenue N, and Avenue P. In the northbound direction, trains skip those station and Avenue U.

Right, cause that's more needed then installing a crossover before Church Av so terminating (G) trains arent holding up the (F) behind them...

On 8/19/2021 at 8:14 PM, Around the Horn said:

For cut-over of the new platform at Times Square:

42 ST CONNECTION PROJECT
Aug 23, Monday to Sep 6, Monday (includes Labor Day)
(S) 42 Street Shuttle will not run - Take the (7) instead

So August 22 is the last day we will have to see the old platform?

On 8/18/2021 at 10:34 PM, Lawrence St said:

Right, cause that's more needed then installing a crossover before Church Av so terminating (G) trains arent holding up the (F) behind them...

I have my doubts that they could do that. The provisions are in place for switches south of Church Avenue, but north of the station, the tunnels dip almost immediately. Hence, I do not even consider switch work north of Church Avenue a possibility.

Update on the Culver reroutes:

Weekends, August 27-September 27, from 9:30 p.m. Friday to 4:30 a.m. Monday (and Labor Day, September 6)
(G) trains will run between Court Sq and Smith-9 Sts, the last stop. To continue your trip, transfer at Smith-9 Sts for the (F).

(G) to Smith - 2009 vibes again I guess

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What a spin master this writer is. 💩 service is extra service!

Active Alerts for (N)

Extra Service

ALTERNATIVE SERVICE

(N) trains local in both directions between DeKalb Av and 59 St, Brooklyn

Oct 8 - 11, Fri 9:45 PM to Mon 5:00 AM

(N) trains provide connecting service in Brooklyn between 4 Av-9 St and Coney Island-Stillwell Av, during weekend planned work for the Culver Line Signal Modernization.

Posted: 10/07/2021 08:25AM

🤦‍♂️