Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All non-essential track work has been suspended for (at least) today after the tragedy involving two flaggers early this morning. This affected most if not all the midday GO's.

Anyone know when the next service change is gonna happen on the (7) between 42 St and Queensboro?

Next round of changes is only between Queensboro and Hunters Point on the 13th and 20th; both GOs are Sunday only.

N.png The last stop for some uptown trains is 57 St-7 Av

Rush Hours, 9 AM to 10 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM, Mon to Fri, Nov 7 - Dec 30

Transfer at 57 St-7 Av to an Astoria-bound N.png or W.png to continue your trip.

Alternate travel note:
R.png service is also available for 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St. 
Transfer between N.png and R.png at 57 St-7 Av.'

-------

I wonder what this G.O is about, can't be put ins as Uptown trains will end at 57th in the PM Rush as well, also the G.O will go on until the day before SAS is supposed to open...

N.png The last stop for some uptown trains is 57 St-7 Av

Rush Hours, 9 AM to 10 AM and 4 PM to 6 PM, Mon to Fri, Nov 7 - Dec 30

Transfer at 57 St-7 Av to an Astoria-bound N.png or W.png to continue your trip.

Alternate travel note:

R.png service is also available for 5 Av/59 St and Lexington Av/59 St. 

Transfer between N.png and R.png at 57 St-7 Av.'

-------

I wonder what this G.O is about, can't be put ins as Uptown trains will end at 57th in the PM Rush as well, also the G.O will go on until the day before SAS is supposed to open...

I think this could be SAS related. The times given mostly line up with all the northbound (N) trains that are scheduled run to 96th St (which arrive at 57th St at 8:32 AM, 9:13 AM, 9:52 AM, 3:55 PM, 4:28 PM, 4:40 PM and 5:36 PM - I posted pictures of the schedule in the Second Av Subway thread) and like you pointed out the G.O. is suspiciously listed until the end of December. It would make sense - with the (Q) temporarily ending at 57th St until SAS opens, obviously the (N) trains scheduled to run to 96th St would do the same. But then again, maybe it's something else entirely.

Possibly some work on the Astoria line. Since the (W) will run less trains than the (Q) did, the (W) will not be affected.

I hear this alot, but when you subtract the (Q) trains that started/ended at 42nd St/57th St during the rush hour, wasn't it the case that the frequency of (Q) service to Astoria was pretty similar to the frequency (W) service?

Edited by Mysterious2train

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the month ahead:

(5) - No service between E 180 Street and Dyre Av - three weekends - 12/03-12/19

(A) - No service between Rockaway Blvd and Lefferts Blvd - two weekends - 12/03, 12/17

(F) - No service between Church Av and Stillwell Av - one weekend - 12/10

(J) - No service between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center - one weekend - 12/17

(J)(M) - Manhattan-bound trains run express between Myrtle Av and Marcy Av - four weekends - 12/03-12/19, 12/31

(N) - No service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square - one weekend - 12/31

(N)(R) - No service via Whitehall St - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - No service between Atlantic Av and Whitehall St - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - Bi-directional express-only late night service between Atlantic Av and 36 Street - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - Service is extended to 179 Street - two weekends - 12/03, 12/17

Looking at the month ahead:

(5) - No service between E 180 Street and Dyre Av - three weekends - 12/03-12/19

(A) - No service between Rockaway Blvd and Lefferts Blvd - two weekends - 12/03, 12/17

(F) - No service between Church Av and Stillwell Av - one weekend - 12/10

(J) - No service between Broadway Junction and Jamaica Center - one weekend - 12/17

(J)(M) - Manhattan-bound trains run express between Myrtle Av and Marcy Av - four weekends - 12/03-12/19, 12/31

(N) - No service between Queensboro Plaza and Times Square - one weekend - 12/31

(N)(R) - No service via Whitehall St - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - No service between Atlantic Av and Whitehall St - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - Bi-directional express-only late night service between Atlantic Av and 36 Street - three weeks (nights and weekends) - 12/03-12/19

(R) - Service is extended to 179 Street - two weekends - 12/03, 12/17

N.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

4.png 6.png 7.png N.png Q.png and R.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, 5:45 AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Dec 31       

N.png service operates in two sections:

1. Between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza

2. Between Times Sq-42 St and Stillwell Av

• N.png trains run express in both directions between 34 St-Herald Sq and Canal St

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png

For service between Queens and Manhattan, take the 7.png via transfer at

Queensboro Plaza and/or Times Sq-42 St.

For Lexington Av/59 St and 5 Av/59 St, take the R.png instead. Or, use the nearby 59 St 4.png 5.png 6.png Station via the 7.png at Grand Central-42 St.

For 57 St-7 Av4928238 and Prince Sts, take the Q.png* or R.png instead.  

Transfer between N.png Q.png and R.png trains at Times Sq-42 St or Canal St.

*This detour has taken into account additional planned service changes.

Note: N.png trains board at the Manhattan-bound platform at Queensboro Plaza.

Q.png Trains run local in both directions between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St

Weekend, 6 AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Dec 31

• Please allow additional travel time.

Did the MTA forget they're (supposedly) opening the Second Avenue Subway around this date? It doesn't seem like a good time for a wacky GO like this. Even if you say the SAS won't open next month, December 31 in general seems like a bad day for this, even if the GO is over by 6 PM. 

Also, you didn't list the 3 weekends of uptown (F) via 53rd  :P
Edited by Mysterious2train

N.png No trains between Queensboro Plaza and Times Sq-42 St

4.png 6.png 7.png N.png Q.png and R.png trains provide alternate service

Weekend, 5:45 AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Dec 31       

N.png service operates in two sections:

1. Between Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza

2. Between Times Sq-42 St and Stillwell Av

• N.png trains run express in both directions between 34 St-Herald Sq and Canal St

Travel Alternatives TripPlannerPlus_logo_19px.png

For service between Queens and Manhattan, take the 7.png via transfer at

Queensboro Plaza and/or Times Sq-42 St.

For Lexington Av/59 St and 5 Av/59 St, take the R.png instead. Or, use the nearby 59 St 4.png 5.png 6.png Station via the 7.png at Grand Central-42 St.

For 57 St-7 Av4928238 and Prince Sts, take the Q.png* or R.png instead.  

Transfer between N.png Q.png and R.png trains at Times Sq-42 St or Canal St.

*This detour has taken into account additional planned service changes.

Note: N.png trains board at the Manhattan-bound platform at Queensboro Plaza.

Q.png Trains run local in both directions between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St

Weekend, 6 AM to 6 PM, Saturday, Dec 31

• Please allow additional travel time.

Did the MTA forget they're (supposedly) opening the Second Avenue Subway around this date? It doesn't seem like a good time for a wacky GO like this. Even if you say the SAS won't open next month, December 31 in general seems like a bad day for this, even if the GO is over by 6 PM. 

Also, you didn't list the 3 weekends of uptown (F) via 53rd  :P

Sounds like they are setting up to open the (Q) on the SAS at 6:00 PM on New Year's Eve.

I dont see any vagueness in the (Q) 's destination, the destination isnt necessary to convey alternatives in this case.

Though I do understand the rationale of having the (N) express/ (Q) local and (N) terminating at 42nd instead of simply short-turning the (Q) at 42nd in case SAS is in fact open.

I also dont think that this has anything to do with SAS, and the (R) is still going via 60th St. Perhaps minor work between the 60th St portal and QBP?

Edited by RestrictOnTheHanger

Until I start seeing some press releases on the extension opening in the coming weeks, I refuse to believe the line will open on New Years Eve. Remember how the (7) extension to the Hudson Yards had several press statements and a multitude of posters about the service change posted across the Flushing line? We have just over a month until December 31st and the only news we've been receiving is from Capital Construction with most of it pointing to various delays. Perhaps I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but the evidence is not in favor of a 2016 opening unfortunately.

@RestrictOnTheHanger: That's exactly what it sounds like is going on with this New Years Eve service change. I don't see any hidden agenda that hints about 2nd Avenue in here.

Until I start seeing some press releases on the extension opening in the coming weeks, I refuse to believe the line will open on New Years Eve. Remember how the (7) extension to the Hudson Yards had several press statements and a multitude of posters about the service change posted across the Flushing line? We have just over a month until December 31st and the only news we've been receiving is from Capital Construction with most of it pointing to various delays. Perhaps I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but the evidence is not in favor of a 2016 opening unfortunately.

@RestrictOnTheHanger: That's exactly what it sounds like is going on with this New Years Eve service change. I don't see any hidden agenda that hints about 2nd Avenue in here.

December 15th is the day of reckoning...

If testing is completed by then as scheduled, then we'll see a New Years Eve opening. If they miss the date, you can forget about it...

December 15th is the day of reckoning...

If testing is completed by then as scheduled, then we'll see a New Years Eve opening. If they miss the date, you can forget about it...

Doesn't seem like the MTA is going to open the Second AV Line on Schedule. Even if it's open its probably one station 96 Street.

First weekend in January, the (G) replaces the (F) between Church Avenue and Stillwell.

More than just the first weekend in January. A few weekends actually.

There's also another interesting series of weekend GOs coming up for February which will be pretty unprecedented. They'll be up soon.

A GO that I would love to be on is one that took place during the 1980s. D trains would go via Sixth Avenue and the Chrystie Street Connection to Essex Street before reversing toward Brooklyn via the Nassau Street Line. I hope that there would be come excuse for it.

More than just the first weekend in January. A few weekends actually.

There's also another interesting series of weekend GOs coming up for February which will be pretty unprecedented. They'll be up soon.

I can't wait to find out!

I'm not seeing the G.O.s for the new year on TENS, but I'm wondering if this "unprecedented" G.O. will involve the new Second Ave. line (if it's open yet!) That's the only thing I could think of that obviously hasn't been done before (short of Wally getting his (C) via Williamsburg Br. or some other unusual Eastern Div. through-routing).

I'll bet on this one:

No (2) trains at all, with (3) trains running only to 14th Street from 148th or maybe even 137th. (5) trains run between 241st and Flatbush via Lex every 8 minutes.

They'll have the Dyre line closed down, the Lenox line closed down, and the Clark tubes all closed down in one fell swoop.  :lol:

I'll bet on this one:

No (2) trains at all, with (3) trains running only to 14th Street from 148th or maybe even 137th. (5) trains run between 241st and Flatbush via Lex every 8 minutes.

They'll have the Dyre line closed down, the Lenox line closed down, and the Clark tubes all closed down in one fell swoop.  :lol:

It'll be a B division GO and it'll be much more unusual than that, haha.

I'm not seeing the G.O.s for the new year on TENS, but I'm wondering if this "unprecedented" G.O. will involve the new Second Ave. line (if it's open yet!) That's the only thing I could think of that obviously hasn't been done before (short of Wally getting his  (C) via Williamsburg Br. or some other unusual Eastern Div. through-routing).

It'll definitely draw parallels to some of Wally's proposals. That's for sure.

Edited by Dj Hammers