Planned Subway Service Changes

What they need to do is make the program with the transfers that are correct. That means take out the (D) at Atlantic Avenue, add it to Times Square, and so forth.

There is an (F) program via West End/Bway/Queens Blvd

...but it's only for northbound trains

Southbound trains are screwed. I took it last night going home from work and my train was signed up for 6 Av/West End. They removed stops that aren't on Broadway, but left stops that closely resemble Broadway stops.

Example stops using my train from where I got on to where I got off. Omitted stops in red:

-Roosevelt Av

-21 St-Queensbridge

-Lex-63 St

-57 St

-Rockefeller Ctr

-42 St-Bryant Pk

-34 St-Herald Sq

-23 St

-14 St

-W 4 St

-Bway-Lafayette

-Grand St

-Atlantic-Barclays

-36 St

The problem with it was that the distances don't sync up as the train thinks it's on 6 Av so the stops were coming in at arbitrary times and the conductor made the announcements manually.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is an (F) program via West End/Bway/Queens Blvd

...but it's only for northbound trains

Southbound trains are screwed. I took it last night going home from work and my train was signed up for 6 Av/West End. They removed stops that aren't on Broadway, but left stops that closely resemble Broadway stops.

Example stops using my train from where I got on to where I got off. Omitted stops in red:

-Roosevelt Av

-21 St-Queensbridge

-Lex-63 St

-57 St

-Rockefeller Ctr

-42 St-Bryant Pk

-34 St-Herald Sq

-23 St

-14 St

-W 4 St

-Bway-Lafayette

-Grand St

-Atlantic-Barclays

-36 St

The problem with it was that the distances don't sync up as the train thinks it's on 6 Av so the stops were coming in at arbitrary times and the conductor made the announcements manually.

The MTA didn't really make a (F) program for "via Broadway and West End" at all, then.

Hopefully the MTA gets things right for future rolling stock and divides the FIND announcements into a modular system (based on physical trackage), rather than programming the whole route at once.

Edited by agar io

Hopefully the MTA gets things right for future rolling stock and divides the FIND announcements into a modular system (based on physical trackage), rather than programming the whole route at once.

The system should be smart enough to present the right options for dynamically creating routes on-the-fly that are not already pre-programmed. For example, let’s suppose there’s an (F) train at Jamaica–179 Street. The touch screen provides a menu-driven system to program routes that have not been entered into the system before. The train operator taps these options on the screen:

1. (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)[ (F)] (G)(H)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(T)(V)(W)(Z)
  2. from: Jamaica–179 Street
  3. to: Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue
  4. [Hillside Avenue local]; Hillside Avenue express
  5. Queens Boulevard local; [Queens Boulevard express]
  6. [via 63 Street]; via 60 Street; via 53 Street; via Crosstown Line
  7. 6 Avenue local; 6 Avenue express; Broadway local; [broadway express]
  8. [via Bridge]; via Tunnel
  9. serving DeKalb Avenue; [bypassing DeKalb Avenue]
  10. Sea Beach local; Sea Beach express; [West End local]; West End express
  11. [accept route as configured]; customize station stops
  12. [done]
Edited by CenSin

The MTA didn't really make a (F) program for "via Broadway and West End" at all, then.

1. There is a program for West End/Broadway. They used the uptown one (I saw photos a couple weeks before the G/O, thanks to a TO on FB). According to others with legal access to NTTs, there is a downtown one too but its buried deep in the list of available options, and C/Rs don't have enough time at 179th to search for it.

The system should be smart enough to present the right options for dynamically creating routes on-the-fly that are not already pre-programmed. For example, let’s suppose there’s an (F) train at Jamaica–179 Street. The touch screen provides a menu-driven system to program routes that have not been entered into the system before. The train operator taps these options on the screen:

1. (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)[ (F)] (G)(H)(J)(L)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(S)(T)(V)(W)(Z)
  2. from: Jamaica–179 Street
  3. to: Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue
  4. [Hillside Avenue local]; Hillside Avenue express
  5. Queens Boulevard local; [Queens Boulevard express]
  6. [via 63 Street]; via 60 Street; via 53 Street; via Crosstown Line
  7. 6 Avenue local; 6 Avenue express; Broadway local; [broadway express]
  8. [via Bridge]; via Tunnel
  9. serving DeKalb Avenue; [bypassing DeKalb Avenue]
  10. Sea Beach local; Sea Beach express; [West End local]; West End express
  11. [accept route as configured]; customize station stops
  12. [done]

This process would take way too long (as I noted before) and as a result, almost no one would use the feature. There just needs to be a better way to catalogue the existing options, like say chose the letter, then trunk line and then chose a program from the ones that meet that criteria.

This process would take way too long (as I noted before) and as a result, almost no one would use the feature. There just needs to be a better way to catalogue the existing options, like say chose the letter, then trunk line and then chose a program from the ones that meet that criteria.

This is for programs that are not in the catalog.

But this seems to be an appropriate substitute:

I would think, a GUI that displays a line strip, that you could select portions to change as needed.

I believe we might have discussed this idea before. I’ll have to go dig.

That's because the wheel markers weren't set properly in the program. That's why the trains are announcing stations early at Canal Street and Lexington-63rd Street. I don't know why they did this, but the Manhattan Bound (F) announces itself regularly like it would do on 6th Avenue. There's a video that someone uploaded somewhere I just don't have time to find it.

Is the (N) going to run Broadway Express during these hours? If not, surprised they didn’t just call it an (N) and short turn them at Canal St...

From what I've heard, the (N) will be added 2 extra minutes each train to avoid congestion over the Broadway Local line. 

Instead of 10, it's 12. 

Interesting... 

My only concern with this, is how the wheel rotations (which trigger the announcements) would be calibrated. 

The track geometry is well-known. If the on-board computers know the track lengths, then there is no problem. The length of the ride is the sum of the lengths of the selected segments.

Here we are!

Not flexible enough. With the cheap tablet technology we have today, we could have an even more flexible procedure:

• Select number/letter.
  • Select circle or diamond.
  • Drag your fingers over the subway map graphic to plot the route. (The software will select the most sensible points for fat, inaccurate fingers.)
  • All the stations will be selected by default. If express tracks are available for some portions of the line, an express/local option will appear over all those segments, and you can make the selection for each segment.
  • If any other stops need to be skipped or made, poke the individual dots representing the stations.
  • Confirm selections, and all the external and internal displays reflect the selection.

Buried in a (5) train service change for first weekend in March, (4) replaces the (5) in the Bronx to E180. No (5) running at all, shuttle bus 180 to Dyre.

With the amount of times that the (5) isn't running past 180th street, they should just shut that part of the line down until all upgrades are made.  Ridiculous.  

Say what?! So whats covering Woodlawn?

It seems like they want to send select trains to 180 St. The (4) will still have trips to Woodlawn, presumably every 16 minutes like the last time (even though it doesn't say anything about (4) cuts yet, but maybe they didn't update yet like they did with the (D)(F) ).