Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why do they have to get (4) train cars? I doubt they would run out of (2)/(5) cars to use. Esp. it being a wkday and (5) doesn't have to go to dyre.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

More than likely, whatever remaining (4) trains that were in service right before the GO started were sent to East 180 or Utica and turned into the (5) since they couldn't deadhead anywhere. Edited by S78 via Hylan

S.png 42 Street Shuttle: Expect crowding on platforms and trains during Rush Hours

Monday to Friday, beginning Apr 3 until Jul 2017

Track 4 is out of service due to construction. 

Service between Times Sq-42 St and Grand Central-42 St operates on tracks 1 and 3.

Travel Alternatives:

• Take the 7.png between Grand Central-42 St and Times Sq-42 St.

• Customers at Times Sq-42 St, who usually take the shuttle to the 4.png 5.png 6.png, can take the 
   N.png Q.png R.png W.png to 14 St-Union Sq or N.png R.png W.png to Lexington Av-59 St instead.

S.png 42 Street Shuttle: Expect crowding on platforms and trains during Rush Hours

Service between Times Sq-42 St and Grand Central-42 St operates on tracks 1 and 3.

Travel Alternatives:

• Customers at Times Sq-42 St, who usually take the shuttle to the 4.png 5.png 6.png, can take the 

N.png Q.png R.png W.png to 14 St-Union Sq or N.png R.png W.png to Lexington Av-59 St instead.

This isn't new; the Track 4 platform at Grand Central has been roped off for many weeks now.

Travel Alternatives:

This isn't new; the Track 4 platform at Grand Central has been roped off for many weeks now.

Not entirely true. I saw Track 4 in Service a few weeks back.

Its been out intermittently (primarily middays) to allow for foundation work at One Vanderbilt (which is literally a foot away from that track)

I assume now they have decided to put out an advisory for it, now that construction on the building itself is starting...

Its been out intermittently (primarily middays) to allow for foundation work at One Vanderbilt (which is literally a foot away from that track)

I assume now they have decided to put out an advisory for it, now that construction on the building itself is starting...

Yeah I pass by the construction site almost daily coming from Metro-North and it has certainly been moving along. I remember not that long ago the demo was wrapping up.  That building will be a game changer for all of Midtown.  Every building in the area has been updating their amenities (swank lobbies all up Madison and 5th and 6th, as well as side streets) and what will really be interesting is how many more people will be taking the subway or Metro-North into GCT once it opens.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Yeah I pass by the construction site almost daily coming from Metro-North and it has certainly been moving along. I remember not that long ago the demo was wrapping up.  That building will be a game changer for all of Midtown.  Every building in the area has been updating their amenities (swank lobbies all up Madison and 5th and 6th, as well as side streets) and what will really be interesting is how many more people will be taking the subway or Metro-North into GCT once it opens.

It looks gorgeous in the renderings. One of the best designed skyscrapers in a while...

It looks gorgeous in the renderings. One of the best designed skyscrapers in a while...

What isn't clear is what sort of transportation improvements we should expect (they are supposedly allocating $200+ million for improvements in for the subways and Metro-North), which likely includes things like the (S), so I would expect to see more planned service changes as a result of this.

What isn't clear is what sort of transportation improvements we should expect (they are supposedly allocating $200+ million for improvements in for the subways and Metro-North), which likely includes things like the (S), so I would expect to see more planned service changes as a result of this.

supposedly i heard after the 1st of the 2nd ave subway finished that they were trying to get the rest of it built using 1 vanderbilt as a springboard

Track 4 on the shuttle is always the expandable one. Isn't that the same track where one door on the train has to be cut out at Times Square?

I think you mean expendable, not expandable.

And yes, it is the track where only half a door opens in the last doorway at Times Square.

Those improvements include an underground connection to Grand Central Terminal and new mezzanines and exits for the subway station.

Those improvements include an underground connection to Grand Central Terminal and new mezzanines and exits for the subway station.

Hopefully something closer to Madison Avenue.  It takes far too long to walk to GCT for the subway and the few entrances are all centered on the East Side (Lexington Avenue mainly).  That's one thing that they got right with MNRR... Tons of entrances on Madison... 

This GO seems new... Normally they'd send the Lefferts trains to JFK leave the Far Rockaway trains alone.

A.png No trains between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Apr 29 - 30

Speaking of JFK... Last weekend of April: Go with LIRR/Airtrain, because the subway is gonna be a royal pain in the neck.
E.png Jamaica Center-bound trains run local from Queens Plaza to 71 Av
Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Apr 29 - May 1

J.png No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center
E.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 6:30 AM to 7 PM, Sat and Sun, Apr 29 - 30

Hopefully something closer to Madison Avenue.  It takes far too long to walk to GCT for the subway and the few entrances are all centered on the East Side (Lexington Avenue mainly).  That's one thing that they got right with MNRR... Tons of entrances on Madison... 

I know for sure there will be an extra set of stairs for the subway near the main stair/escalator bank in GCT (which is also near Lexington, so not much help to get to Madison...)

I know for sure there will be an extra set of stairs for the subway near the main stair/escalator bank in GCT (which is also near Lexington, so not much help to get to Madison...)

Annoying.  Yet another reason I try to avoid the (4)(5).  You either have to deal with the hoards of crowds (it's literally like a zoo with tourists taking photos everywhere) or walk longer to avoid them.  Metro-North has entrances on or right off of Madison that can take you right to the tracks and you avoid all of that.  I'm shocked with that new building going up that they wouldn't have one right by Madison like they do with the Bryant Park stop on 6th.

This GO seems new... Normally they'd send the Lefferts trains to JFK leave the Far Rockaway trains alone.

A.png No trains between Euclid Av and Lefferts Blvd/Howard Beach-JFK

shuttle_bus.png Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Sun, Apr 29 - 30

Speaking of JFK... Last weekend of April: Go with LIRR/Airtrain, because the subway is gonna be a royal pain in the neck.

E.png Jamaica Center-bound trains run local from Queens Plaza to 71 Av

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Apr 29 - May 1

J.png No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

E.png trains and shuttle_bus.png free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 6:30 AM to 7 PM, Sat and Sun, Apr 29 - 30

Its not new. Its been done many times before.

This weekend, the (N) is running via the (D) in both directions, and the (N)(R) are going express northbound along 4th Avenue. Two things though:

1. Couldn't they have operated the (N) via West End towards Manhattan, and via Sea Beach towards Coney Island? That way, riders who need Manhattan service can either take the B9 to the (R) , or catch a Coney Island (N) to either New Utrecht Avenue or Coney Island for the Manhattan (N) . It would be much faster for many instead of taking the shuttle bus to 36 Street. 

2. Why is there no service advisory which states that Brooklyn-bound (N) trains are running local along 4th Avenue?

This weekend, the (N) is running via the (D) in both directions, and the (N)(R) are going express northbound along 4th Avenue. Two things though:

1. Couldn't they have operated the (N) via West End towards Manhattan, and via Sea Beach towards Coney Island? That way, riders who need Manhattan service can either take the B9 to the (R) , or catch a Coney Island (N) to either New Utrecht Avenue or Coney Island for the Manhattan (N) . It would be much faster for many instead of taking the shuttle bus to 36 Street. 

2. Why is there no service advisory which states that Brooklyn-bound (N) trains are running local along 4th Avenue?

It could be different this time around but last time they did this service change, Sea Beach was completely shut down for concrete pours on several overpasses.