Planned Subway Service Changes

Thats basically more of a (D) Train route than the (R) for the late nights and was done for a weekend/late night G.O before which is why running the (R) between Whitehall Street and Coney Island (Late Nights) is too confusing.

Excepting that, one less transfer at night is a very tempting proposition—especially at evening headways.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry to all who are on this forum, but I am new at typing on forums. However, if I may, i would like to make a suggestion as to how they could have routed this (D)(R) train service change much better/more efficiently:

1. Run the (D) train in 2 sections:

a. 205 St to 2 Av (via the (A) Local) as proposed

b. Times Sq-42 St (Broadway Line) to Stillwell Av via Broadway/4 Av Express (Express in Manhattan all weekend and express in Brooklyn during daytime hours) and West End.

2. No (R) trains running

(The (R) is already not running past Queens Plaza towards 71 Av and not running south of 36 St-Brooklyn towards 95th St). 

3. (N) trains make all stops via the R line between Canal St and 59 St-Brooklyn the whole weekend

4. (Q) trains make local stops in Manhattan between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St (through the Manhattan Bridge) to allow the (D) train to terminate at Times Square

*Now a transfer between the two (D) train sections is established at 42 St.

*No un-necessary shuttle trains in Brooklyn (West End) or short-turn runs along the (R) line at Queens Plaza or 9 Av

*Broadway still has two locals and one express service

Edited by darkstar8983

Honestly I wouldn't mind a suspended (D) in Brooklyn and the (R) being extended to Coney Island. It's not as bad as everyone thinks. Even if we are done with "regular" weekend changes from the 1990's and the asians get more confused, I rather have this G.O. teach a lesson about how you should look up your plans before going out, even for short distances.

Guys. I just finished creating my own planned service change PDF.

It's based on the Service Guide PDF on the MTA's website, I just substituted ideal service with the changes.

Where it's blank, no change occurs.

The timeframe I chose is Fridays to Thursdays.

w/b - westbound

SECTIONED - train runs in sections

e/b - eastbound

b/d - both directions

SVC - service

Cross-highlight - use schedules titles as legend

Files are PDF

July 14th to 20th: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhMQqEqNNrp09LEgF2A

July 21st to 27th: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhMQu6G0rcNvGaapsmg

July 28th to August 3rd: https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhMQyOnJ_gYRtco_KoQ

August 4th to 10th - https://1drv.ms/b/s!AlW-ZYlueHvEhMQmyXHf0cEzy4jYjg

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk

It's based on the Service Guide PDF on the MTA's website, I just substituted ideal service with the changes.

w/b - westbound

e/b - eastbound

b/d - both directions

SVC - service

Files are PDF

Doesn't look too bad. Nice job.

sorry to all who are on this forum, but I am new at typing on forums. However, if I may, i would like to make a suggestion as to how they could have routed this (D)(R) train service change much better/more efficiently:

b. Times Sq-42 St (Broadway Line) to Stillwell Av via Broadway/4 Av Express (Express in Manhattan all weekend and express in Brooklyn during daytime hours) and West End.

2. No (R) trains running

(The (R) is already not running past Queens Plaza towards 71 Av and not running south of 36 St-Brooklyn towards 95th St). 

3. (N) trains make all stops via the R line between Canal St and 59 St-Brooklyn the whole weekend

4. (Q) trains make local stops in Manhattan between 57 St-7 Av and Canal St (through the Manhattan Bridge) to allow the (D) train to terminate at Times Square

*Now a transfer between the two (D) train sections is established at 42 St.

*No un-necessary shuttle trains in Brooklyn (West End) or short-turn runs along the (R) line at Queens Plaza or 9 Av

*Broadway still has two locals and one express service

Doing it this way (With the regular (D) from 205-2nd Avenue and a "Yellow (D) " from Times Square (or even 96th Street) to Coney Island) might very well work with the (R) suspended all weekend.  If the "Yellow (D) " goes to 96th, you can have that and the (Q) run express as usual while the (N) runs as the sole local.  

Honestly I wouldn't mind a suspended (D) in Brooklyn and the (R) being extended to Coney Island. It's not as bad as everyone thinks. Even if we are done with "regular" weekend changes from the 1990's and the asians get more confused, I rather have this G.O. teach a lesson about how you should look up your plans before going out, even for short distances.

That I agree with.  Make them learn to pay attention as I learned the hard way.  

w/b - westbound

e/b - eastbound

b/d - both directions

SVC - service

Files are PDF

I quite like this... Nice job!

darkstar8983, on 18 Jul 2017 - 11:48 AM, said:snapback.png

Some of these suggestions are already planned service changes.

You said it before I did. Scratch that

Edited by MassTransitHonchkrow

And it wasn't done with MS Office either. I used an editor where I had painfully plug things in.

But after getting one file just right, I simply copied and renamed, then filled in.

Strangely enough, mental heuristics tells me it’s an MS Office job.

Looks like a (E)(F) Switchero is going to occur

E.png Trains run via the F.png between 21 St-Queensbridge and 34 St-Herald Sq, the last stop

A.png C.png D.png F.png R.png trains provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:45 PM Fri to 4:45 AM Mon, Aug 18 - 21

No E.png service at Queens PlazaCourt Sq-23 StLexington Av/53 St5 Av/53 St7 Av50 St,
42 St/Port Authority34 St-Penn Station2314W 4SpringCanal Sts and World Trade Center.

F.png Coney Island-bound trains run via the E.png from Roosevelt Av to Canal St and via the A.png to Jay St-MetroTech
F.png Jamaica-bound trains run via the E.png after 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av

D.png E.png J.png trains provide alternate service

No F.png service at 21 St-QueensbridgeRoosevelt IslandLexington Av/63 St and 57 St.

No Coney Island-bound F.png service at 47-50 Sts42 St-Bryant Pk34 St-Herald Sq2314B'way-Lafayette Sts2 AvDelancey StEast Broadway and York St.

Looks like a (E)(F) Switchero is going to occur

E.png Trains run via the F.png between 21 St-Queensbridge and 34 St-Herald Sq, the last stop

A.png C.png D.png F.png R.png trains provide alternate service

No E.png service at Queens PlazaCourt Sq-23 StLexington Av/53 St5 Av/53 St7 Av50 St,

42 St/Port Authority34 St-Penn Station2314W 4SpringCanal Sts and World Trade Center.

F.png Coney Island-bound trains run via the E.png from Roosevelt Av to Canal St and via the A.png to Jay St-MetroTech

F.png Jamaica-bound trains run via the E.png after 47-50 Sts to Roosevelt Av

D.png E.png J.png trains provide alternate service

No F.png service at 21 St-QueensbridgeRoosevelt IslandLexington Av/63 St and 57 St.

No Coney Island-bound F.png service at 47-50 Sts42 St-Bryant Pk34 St-Herald Sq2314B'way-Lafayette Sts2 AvDelancey StEast Broadway and York St.

What work's gonna be done here?

Queens Boulevard is 4-track all the way to the very end. What kind of work is going on that prevents all 4 tracks from being used past Forest Hills this weekend?

Maybe CBTC work?

They're replacing the crossovers at 75th Avenue.

They should overlap whatever work they can while the line is shut down. 

They should overlap whatever work they can while the line is shut down. 

I think this 75th Ave switch replacement GO is this years Hillside Ave Fasttrack. 179 street queens bound platform level ceiling got scrapped and repainted during one of the weekend GOes since previously it one of the most falling paint chips places in the system. They are doing other work, probably all Fasttrack style, during the east of 71 ave GO.

Weekend changes for the month of August:

(1) No service north of 137 St: Aug 5-7

(2) No service north of E 180 St: Aug 5-7 and Aug 12-14

(6) Split service at 125 St; Section 1, Pelham Bay Park to 125 St, Section 2, Brooklyn Bridge to 149-GC: Aug 5-7 

(A)(C) via Rutgers tube, both directions: Aug 12-14

(D) Split service; Section 1: 205 St to 2 Ave, Section 2: Atlantic Av to Coney Island: Aug 5-7

(E)(F) No service east of 71 Av, local service in Queens: Aug 5-7

(E) via 63 St, both directions, No service south of Herald Sq: Aug 19-21

(F) Brooklyn bound, via 53 St and Cranberry tunnel; Queens bound, via 53 St: Aug 19-21

(G) Split service at Bedford-Nostrand Avs; No service south of Hoyt-Schermerhorn: Aug 12-14

(J) No service east of Crescent St: Aug 12-14

(M) Reduced daytime service: Aug 5-6

(N) No service north of Queensboro Plaza: Aug 12-14, Aug 19-21, Aug 26-28

(N)(R) Brooklyn bound service via Manhattan Bridge: Aug 19-21

(R) No service east of Queens Plaza: Aug 5-7

(R) Service is extended to 179 St: Aug 19-20, Aug 26-27

Major long term service changes:

(2)(3) No service in Brooklyn (Weekends only)

(M) No service between Myrtle Av and Metropolitan Av until Sep 1

(N) Coney Island bound Sea Beach station work

Mods: Just like last time, if there's anything I might have missed or something new comes up, edit this post.

Edited by S78 via Hylan