Planned Subway Service Changes

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does this work?

2.png 3 Av-149 St Station

Weekend, 6 AM to 11 AM Sunday, Dec 1

All trains board at the 241 St-bound platform.

Most likely this: After Jackson Av on the Manhattan bound track, there's a switch from that one to the middle track, so I'm guessing Flatbush Avenue bound (2) trains will use that, then switch from the middle to the 241/Dyre Av-bound track. After leaving 3 Av-149, it would cross back to the Manhattan side. Edited by S78 via Hylan

Here's an ugly one. And during the holiday week at that!!!

(A) No trains between Jay St-MetroTech and Utica Av
Free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Late Nights, 11:30 PM to 5 AM, Mon to Fri, Dec 16 - 20

11:30 PM Mon to 5 AM Tue, Dec 23 - 24
11:30 PM Thu to 5 AM Fri, Dec 26 - 27

Service is going to suck for people between Broadway–Lafayette Lafayette and Jay Street during late nights from December 2 to 6… The (F) runs with the (A) from West 4 Street to Jay Street–Metrotech, but the Manhattan Shuttle only runs between Broadway–Lafayette Street and East Broadway necessitating 2 transfers (involving the shuttle, (D), and (F)) in either direction.

Here's an interesting service change (starts the weekend of 12/14):

E.png Additional service operates between World Trade Center and Van Wyck Blvd 

Weekends, 9 AM to 7 PM, Sat, until Dec 21 
                  11 AM to 6 PM, Sun, until Dec 22 

Alternate E.png trains run to/from the 179 St F.png Station.

I wonder if service will be cut on the F-line for some reason that would require the E to be doubled like this.
Edited by Lance

Here's an interesting service change (starts the weekend of 12/14):

E.png Additional service operates between World Trade Center and Van Wyck Blvd 

Weekends, 9 AM to 7 PM, Sat, until Dec 21 

11 AM to 6 PM, Sun, until Dec 22 

Alternate E.png trains run to/from the 179 St F.png Station.

I wonder if service will be cut on the F-line for some reason that would require the E to be doubled like this.

That makes no sense. If every other (E) goes to 179 how is that "additional service"? I think it's the continuation of the work that required shuttle busing, just singletracking now.

The way it's worded makes it sound like service to 179 St will be added on top of normal service to Jamaica-Parsons, not halved. That's why I'm wondering if there will be a reduction in F-line service as a result.

oops..I didn't notice the top said Van Wyck Blvd to WTC, I thought it read Jamaica Center.

I'm not surprised. That's kind of ridiculous to have something like that on Thanksgiving proper. Maybe for Black Friday, but not on the actual holiday. Hopefully it doesn't pop up again at the last minute like that Q suspension last week.
Sorry to dig up an old post, but ridership is lighter on Thanksgiving than on Black Friday, and Black Friday has the added complication of the B train.

Service is going to suck for people between Broadway–Lafayette Lafayette and Jay Street during late nights from December 2 to 6… The (F) runs with the (A) from West 4 Street to Jay Street–Metrotech, but the Manhattan Shuttle only runs between Broadway–Lafayette Street and East Broadway necessitating 2 transfers (involving the shuttle, (D), and (F)) in either direction.
How many people are traveling between the 2nd Avenue or East Broadway stations and Brooklyn? I don't see this as a terribly big deal, and West 4th isn't the best bus terminal.

Here's an interesting service change (starts the weekend of 12/14):  Additional service operates between World Trade Center and Van Wyck Blvd Weekends, 9 AM to 7 PM, Sat, until Dec 21                   11 AM to 6 PM, Sun, until Dec 22 Alternate  trains run to/from the 179 St  Station.  I wonder if service will be cut on the F-line for some reason that would require the E to be doubled like this.
Weekend service is normally increased on several lines on weekends in December, I believe including the E. I wonder if Parsons-Archer for some reason (single-tracking?) won't be able to handle the full complement of service that weekend, so half the trains are being diverted to 179th.

Like I said, service to and from Jamaica Center seems to be unaffected, based on how this service advisory is worded. If it was affected, the advisory would read something like "Trains run every [X] minutes between [briarwood] Van Wyck Blvd and Jamaica Center." Instead, it reads as such: "Additional service operates between World Trade Center and [briarwood] Van Wyck Blvd." There will be additional service on the E-line for those two weekends, not less. It's just that those added trains will run to 179 St instead of Jamaica Center.

(J) No trains between Crescent St and Jamaica Center

(E) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 6:30 AM to 5 PM, Sunday, Dec 22

Fairly standard GO, but its odd timing (peak of the holiday season, less than a full day) makes me wonder as to its reason...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the month ahead (weekend-wise), here are the major disruptions that are planned for January:

(4) - no service between 149 St and Woodlawn (1/4, 1/11)

- shuttle buses run from 149 St to 161 St, Woodlawn to Bedford Park Blvd (D)

(5) - no service between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse (1/18)

- shuttle service runs every half-hour along Dyre Avenue branch

(A) - no direct service between Howard Beach and the Rockaways (1/4)

(D) - shuttle buses replace trains between 205 St and Bedord Park Blvd (1/18)

(G) - alternate Queens-bound trains turn at Bedford-Nostrand Avs (1/11, 1/18)

(J) - no service between Essex St and Chambers St (1/11)

(R) - service extended from 71 Av to 179 St (1/18)

A few more things of note include the (F) running via 53rd Street (Queen-bound) almost every weekend, the (A) and (C) via Rutgers and (F) via Cranberry (both Brooklyn-bound) for a weekend each and one-direction express only service along parts of the Queens Boulevard Line.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this one sneaked in:

Q.png No trains between Parkside Av and 57 St-7 Av

N.pngR.png trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service
Weekend, 11:45 PM Fri to 5 AM Mon, Jan 17 - 20

Q.png service operates between Stillwell Av and Parkside Av.

shuttle_bus.png buses operate between Parkside Av and Atlantic Av-Barclays Ctr,
     making stops at Prospect Park and 7 Av.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is new:

5.png Trains replace the 4.png in Manhattan and Brooklyn 

Weekend & Holiday, 3:30 AM Sat to 10 PM Mon, Feb 15 - 17 

5.png trains make all 4.png stops in Manhattan and Brooklyn as follows: 

Days: Service operates between Dyre Av and Utica Av. 
Late Nights: Service operates between Dyre Av and New Lots Av 3.png, making local stops. 

Note: No 4.png service during this time.

I think this may be the first time in a while the (5) has gotten priority over the (4) or the (2). Of course, this is probably due to the Jerome Avenue shutdown in place (not listed yet).