• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Press Release

December 21, 2018 

NYC Transit

IMMEDIATE

Critical Structural Repairs Scheduled for 111 St Station on J Line

Century-Old Platform Structure to Be Replaced for First Time Since 1917 Construction; Platform Girder Replacement Will Require Station Bypass in Both Directions

MTA New York City Transit announced that the platform girders at 111 St on the  line will be replaced beginning January 2019 as part of structural improvements at several Jamaica Line stations that will benefit thousands of customers who rely on the line between Manhattan and Queens.

“Structural deterioration is worsened on lines that are outdoors and exposed to weather extremes daily,” said NYC Transit President Andy Byford.  “We thank our customers for their patience while we make these critical repairs and replacements, which will provide a safe station environment for many more decades to come.”

The elevated 111 St station opened for service in 1917, and its structure has not been replaced since the station was built. The trackside girders, which are steel structures that hold the platforms and canopy supports in place, have deteriorated and now must be replaced to ensure continued safety. Due to the nature of the deterioration, the equipment required for the replacement, and the girders’ location immediately adjacent to the tracks and under platforms, train service cannot operate at 111 St while crews remove and rebuild the girders and the platforms on top of them. Beginning at 5 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 14, 2019, trains will bypass 111 St in both directions while the girders are replaced and the platforms are demolished and rebuilt.

Similar work at the 104 St and 121 St stations had been scheduled to provide one-direction service during the repairs, which stretched the construction timeline to more than a year. By closing the 111 St station in both directions, the construction timeline will be reduced to approximately six months.

Currently, the area is served by both the subway and the local Q56 bus, which operates along Jamaica Avenue and mirrors the route in the area. During the girder replacement project, NYC Transit will provide enhanced Q56 bus service between 111 St and 121 St. Customers using MetroCards will get an additional free transfer when transferring from the Q37/Q56 to the  line at 104 St, 121 St or Woodhaven Blvd stations. Customers can also use the nearby 104 St or 121 St stations, which are approximately an 8- to 10-minute walk from 111 St, for   subway service.

NYC Transit will post signage and make announcements at 111 St, nearby stations and on trains to notify customers so they can plan ahead and learn about the service alternatives. Transit staff have conducted outreach with the local community and elected officials and will continue to reach out to the community and businesses ahead of and during the service diversion. Customer ambassadors will be staffed at the station before and in the first days of the service bypass to provide customer information. The station serves more than 3,200 weekday customers. 

Other infrastructure and station repairs and improvements along the   lines, which will result in improved subway service and stations for customers for decades to come, include:

Station improvements at Marcy Av, Lorimer St, Broadway Junction to increase capacity and improve customer flow

Reopened station entrances at Flushing Av and Hewes St to increase capacity and add convenience for customers

Platform girder replacement projects completed at 104 St and 121 St 

Track and switch repairs and maintenance along entire  line to improve service and reliability

Track and switch reconstruction project between 121 St and Jamaica Center to improve service and reliability, resulting in a smoother ride

15 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Oh then that changes it. But on a normal weekend the (C) should never run.

However, I do have an idea. Why doesn't the (F) run via Crosstown, the (E) via 63rd and 6th down to West 4th then normal route and the (C) via the (F) from West 4th to Hoyt?

On a normal weekend the (C) shouldn’t run? I don’t think you ride the line often. It’s ridership has and it still increasing and it wouldn’t be smart to have the (A) pulling double duty, this making it prone to more unreliablity. You can’t just go with what looks good on paper. 

The last thing we need is services being cut, especially with the shutdown looming near.

Edited by S78 via Hylan

1 hour ago, S78 via Hylan said:

On a normal weekend the (C) shouldn’t run? I don’t think you ride the line often. It’s ridership has and it still increasing and it wouldn’t be smart to have the (A) pulling double duty, this making it prone to more unreliablity. You can’t just go with what looks good on paper. 

The last thing we need is services being cut, especially with the shutdown looming near.

Did you even read what I wrote?

When the (F) is out between Bergen St and Coney Island, THEN the (C) should not run. Why waste resources when you can send the (A) local and call it a day.

20 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

When the (F) is out between Bergen St and Coney Island, THEN the (C) should not run. Why waste resources when you can send the (A) local and call it a day.

Yes, I read it, and you contradicted your statement by saying “on a normal weekend the (C) should never run” which has nothing to do with the (F). Futhermore, having the (A) run local requires additional trainsets running, which in turn means MORE resources are used, not less. It’s easy for you to say: “Oh, just run X, Y, or Z line local and call it a day.” when you don’t ride those lines much. 

Edited by S78 via Hylan

5 minutes ago, S78 via Hylan said:

Yes, I read it, and you contradicted your statement by saying “on a normal weekend the (C) should never run” which has nothing to do with the (F). Futhermore, having the (A) run local requires additional trainsets running, which in turn means MORE resources are used, not less. It’s easy for you to say: “Oh, just run X, Y, or Z line local and call it a day.” when you don’t ride those lines much. 

What are you talking about? I'm not saying suspend the (C) during all weekends. How about you actually read what I wrote the past page. The discussion is pertaining to the (F) and (G) swap G.O, not to full weekend service.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

Central Park West also needs the trains too. Brooklyn riders aren't the only ones taking (C) trains.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

22 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

And why can't they take the (A) ?

Because it doesn't make sense to unnecessarily elongate the (A) . CPW ridership is nothing to ignore either. If they can run the (C) , what difference does it make? You're not saving resources either way, because the crews on the (C) are placed somewhere else (probably as additional (A) trains to accommodate the extended schedule). Given how the MTA does not adjust schedules in such a scenario, trains would be crushloaded, or maybe leaving people behind, by dealing with both express and local crowds.

2 minutes ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Because it doesn't make sense to unnecessarily elongate the (A). CPW ridership is nothing to ignore either. If they can run the (C) , what difference does it make? You're not saving resources either way, because the crews on the (C) are placed somewhere else (probably as additional (A) trains to accommodate the extended schedule). Given how the MTA does not adjust schedules in such a scenario, trains would be crushloaded, or maybe leaving people behind, by dealing with both express and local crowds.

Ok. What about the second option?

14 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Ok. What about the second option?

Far Rockaway answered it in this post. You're gonna have a lot of transferring that's going to occur, and putting a lot of strain on the (E) . The (E) will not be able to handle all the service necessary. It's much better for both (E) and (F) to go to Manhattan, and having riders transfer to/from the (G)

What they could do is send the (F) to 2nd ave. (C) could go via Rutgers to replace the (F) and then  go back on it’s regular route to Euclid .  I think this weekend it’s more complicated with (E) on 6th ave but on a regular weekend  with this G.O Does this make sense? I think it might 

Edited by Abba

If 

3 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Funny, this little discussion reminds of the early 2000s when it was common to have weekend "No (C) trains running" G.O with the (A) scraping the wall from Euclid to 168th. 

I always wondered what exactly was being repaired during those G.Os...

I think Chambers St fire 

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:04 PM, trainfan22 said:

Funny, this little discussion reminds of the early 2000s when it was common to have weekend "No (C) trains running" G.O with the (A) scraping the wall from Euclid to 168th. 

I always wondered what exactly was being repaired during those G.Os...

That's what came to mind when I read the suggestion. Since I've been combing through some of the previous years' weekend service changes, two constants popped out: 1) the consistent suspension of Queens Blvd (G) service and 2) the full suspension of the (C) whenever anything remotely impactful happened on 8th Avenue or Fulton St. I can't imagine riders liked that particular service change, especially since it happened all the time.

Sometimes, it was due to repairs following the 2005 Chambers St fire or major suspensions in Brooklyn, but a lot of the time, it was due to innocuous service changes like express-only service in one direction along Central Park West or 8th Avenue proper.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, Abba said:

What they could do is send the (F) to 2nd ave. (C) could go via Rutgers to replace the (F) and then  go back on it’s regular route to Euclid .  I think this weekend it’s more complicated with (E) on 6th ave but on a regular weekend  with this G.O Does this make sense? I think it might 

The closure is between Jay St and Bergen St, hence the service changes on the (F) and (G). Running the (C) down Culver would be impossible under these conditions. The only alternative to preserve full (C) service would be to cut the (F) back to Jay St, but that would require riders to make a three-legged transfer to get from 6th Avenue to the Culver line. The (F) via Fulton St allows for a quick transfer between the (F) and (G) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.

Just now, Lance said:

That's what came to mind when I read the suggestion. Since I've been combing through some of the previous years' weekend service changes, two constants popped out: 1) the consistent suspension of Queens Blvd (G) service and 2) the full suspension of the (C) whenever anything remotely impactful happened on 8th Avenue or Fulton St. I can't imagine riders liked that particular service change, especially since it happened all the time.

Sometimes, it was due to repairs following the 2005 Chambers St fire or major suspensions in Brooklyn, but a lot of the time, it was due to innocuous service changes like express-only service in one direction along Central Park West or 8th Avenue proper.

The closure is between Jay St and Bergen St, hence the service changes on the (F) and (G). Running the (C) down Culver would be impossible under these conditions. The only alternative to preserve full (C) service would be to cut the (F) back to Jay St, but that would require riders to make a three-legged transfer to get from 6th Avenue to the Culver line. The (F) via Fulton St allows for a quick transfer between the (F) and (G) at Hoyt-Schermerhorn Sts.

He dosent mean operate the C via Culver, he wants to operate it via Rutgers then normal route to Euclid. This eliminates the transfer needed for someone who has to transfer from the (C) to the (F) to get to Euclid. That solves that problem.

That's two parts of the puzzle, (F) via Crosstown and (C) via Rutgers. The only problem left is 63rd St. Sending the (E) via 6th Av wont work because people are going to cram it, but the other problem is that it's the only line that can provide 6th Av local service, unless you reroute the (R) via 6th Av.

4 minutes ago, Abba said:

Why can’t you run the (C) via Rutgers ? There is nothing closed on that route .

Because it's not needed? Running the (C) via Rutgers serves no purpose and only gets in the way as the (F) has to run to Euclid Av because of the closure. Besides, the Manhattan-bound local track between Jay St and W 4 Street is out of service that weekend, so that option is out either way.

3 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

He dosent mean operate the C via Culver, he wants to operate it via Rutgers then normal route to Euclid. This eliminates the transfer needed for someone who has to transfer from the (C) to the (F) to get to Euclid. That solves that problem.

That's two parts of the puzzle, (F) via Crosstown and (C) via Rutgers. The only problem left is 63rd St. Sending the (E) via 6th Av wont work because people are going to cram it, but the other problem is that it's the only line that can provide 6th Av local service, unless you reroute the (R) via 6th Av.

So the plan is to shaft Manhattan - Queens riders by giving them reduced service? While the (E) is running via 6th Avenue due to the week-long closure of 53rd Street, running the (F) via Crosstown simply because the (E) is covering 6th Avenue is a poor operations move because it effectively halves service between Queens and Manhattan. It's also a bad move to run the (R) via 63rd Street on a normal weekend for such a service change as it forces either full-time (R) service to Queens or the reroute of the (E) to Whitehall St during overnight hours like it was done two weekends ago. This whole thing makes more work than the standard (F) via Fulton St / (G) to Stillwell Av service change that's happened many times over the years without incident. The fact that the (C) has to be cut back to 2 Avenue is a necessary evil over rearranging the system.

Some updates: 

(2) Reduced service: Jan 19-20

(2)(3) Local service in both directions between 72 St and 14 St: Jan 18-21

(3) No late night service: Jan 18-21

(A)(C) Manhattan bound trains runs via Rutgers tunnel: Jan 18-21

(A) No daytime service south of Howard Beach; (S) Runs between Mott Av and Beach 116 St: Jan 26-27

(F) Brooklyn bound service runs via 53 St: Jan 25-28

(J) No service between Myrtle Av and Broad St; (M) service is suspended: Jan 25-28

The news did a story about the (E)(M) weekday G.O, as well as the upcoming (7) weeknight and weekend G.O, yet no mention of the 24/7 (J) G.O smh. 

The (J) G.O IMO is a bigger deal than weeknight and weekend service changes on the (7). Espically considering that it will be going on while the kids go back to school and everyone goes back to work.

It could be that it's perceived as not as much of a big deal than the other ones since technically, no stations are closed under the Jamaica shutdown. Jamaica Center and Sutphin Blvd remain open for the full duration of the project. It's just the lower level platforms that will be closed. Also, the shuttle buses will only operate a one-stop distance between 121 Street and Jamaica-Van Wyck Blvd (E). Finally, the loss of (Z) skip-stop service is being offset with additional (J) trains.