Philly Adventure!

Threxx

Well, just got back from a 2 night stay in Philadelphia, and I'm writing this essay (mostly of my transit escapades) to just get it out and to try narratives again...

Day 1:

I boarded the Keystone Amtrak service towards Harrisburg at 5:30 PM on Friday. The train was crowded, but for the first time I felt true speed on a train (90 MPH+), and I can't say that I wasn't a bit breathtaken. We arrived in Philly late, and took a cab to the hotel. We unpacked in the room, and came down to dinner in the hotel's restaurant, the "Cherry Lounge." To call what I ate there food would be an insult to all things edible. I have no more comment, do not eat there...

Day 2:

We went to McDonald's to have breakfast (yes, I know) and then took a stroll to the Independence Center. We saw the Liberty Bell (which is cracked, BTW) and then tried to find the Please Touch Museum. We took the Market-Frankford line to 30th Street, where we were finally able to get a cab to go there. It's essentially a children's museum where you can touch everything, we went there for my little brother. After this, we took the Phlash trolley route back to the city, then went back to the hotel...

Day 3:

Not much to tell here, we had breakfast at IHOP, then went to the station and waited. Funny thing, our train was originally at stairway 7, then at 6 (when everyone bumrushed the stairs) then at 5, where we boarded.

I got a question on SETPA: What is the speed limits on the subway trains there, is it really higher then the speed restrictions imposed on NY Transit?

I didn't check, but the train did hit 30 MPH b/w 11th and 13th Streets...

Cool trip, but why not take SEPTA?

Someone booked the expensive train... :P

@Threxx: Awww shucks, but there is always a next time, =]!

I got a question on SETPA: What is the speed limits on the subway trains there, is it really higher then the speed restrictions imposed on NY Transit?

I believe 70MPH if I remember correctly, they could fly on the EL for the MFL [Market Frankford] and the BSL [broad Street] Express can really hit around 70 between stations, and for sure their speed limit is higher than NYC Transit's.

Archived