Jury orders MTA to pay $1.9 mil to parents of son fatally hit by B/O

Via Garibaldi 8

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1129633

----

This guy was out of Yukon Depot because I remember reading about this story a few years ago... I can't believe he would be allowed back on the job when he had numerous incidents of reckless driving. This is what happens when second chances are given... In this case SEVERAL chances were given... <_<

I don't get it...most of the B/O's on here talk about how lots of drivers get fired after a single accident/problem, so how did this guy get off so easily because of this arbitrator? Shouldn't all B/O's get these second and third chances (especially when they have actual, honest accidents)

I don't get it...most of the B/O's on here talk about how lots of drivers get fired after a single accident/problem, so how did this guy get off so easily because of this arbitrator? Shouldn't all B/O's get these second and third chances (especially when they have actual, honest accidents)

Politics brother...politics.

I hate it when there's an award for over $1 mil. Obviously the guy was killed, but in other MTA related stuff, some of the times it is the victim's own fault and the MTA is still held responsible? How about forcing the employee that caused the tragedy to pay out of his own pocket for his mistake instead of the MTA eventually passing the expense over to us the riders?

Politics brother...politics.

I would have to agree with Young Blaze... If ever politics were at play, this is definitely a prime example. From what I heard, management at Yukon is very laid back. I believe there were a few other B/Os that were reported for either texting while driving or messing around with the newspaper and they were back on the job shortly after the incident and went right back to their old habits. Then there was the horror story of a driver of the X5... Did all types of malicious things to screw around with the passengers and people actually started avoiding his bus and as far as I know he's still on the job. Some of them seem to feel untoucable because they feel like the union has their back no matter what. There was one B/O that always bragged about this infact and if what he says is true, then that right there is a huge problem.

I find it funny that this guy talked about how he was a God on his bus. :lol: Reminds me of a few drivers out of Yonkers Depot. They look at the passengers like they're garbage, so I'm sure a few of them view themselves a bit like this guy, but hopefully not so extreme as this guy.

I hate it when there's an award for over $1 mil. Obviously the guy was killed, but in other MTA related stuff, some of the times it is the victim's own fault and the MTA is still held responsible? How about forcing the employee that caused the tragedy to pay out of his own pocket for his mistake instead of the MTA eventually passing the expense over to us the riders?

Well I think part of the issue is that the B/O was working for the MTA, so therefore he is an MTA employee, which is why the MTA is held liable.

Well I can see that in this case and am more surprised it was settled for just under $2 mil. Other past cases, like a drunk losing his leg as the train ran over his leg or whatever case, where the victim was totally at fault, the jury almost always sided with the victim and the MTA comes off as a big loser. They must have the worst attorneys in the world if they can't win 'obvious cases'. That's my main gripe about juries in cases against the MTA.

Well I can see that in this case and am more surprised it was settled for just under $2 mil. Other past cases, like a drunk losing his leg as the train ran over his leg or whatever case, where the victim was totally at fault, the jury almost always sided with the victim and the MTA comes off as a big loser. They must have the worst attorneys in the world if they can't win 'obvious cases'. That's my main gripe about juries in cases against the MTA.

No, it's that the MTA has insurance for these sorts of things... It is probably cheaper for them to just settle in most cases than to drag out the lawsuits.

Even in cases where the 'victim' was clearly at fault (not referring to this case, but past accidents in general)? The system is just messed up where a jury would still reward some outrageous sum to a person, imo.

That's why I tend to have a general disdain for the jury, as I think some are either biased against the MTA or I think they sympathize with the 'victim' against the 'giant'.

Well there is no question that the driver was in the wrong...

Archived