Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
XcelsiorBoii4888

Depots Damaging Buses??

ok this thread goes for all depots but from my experiences on staten island buses...ok we all know that staten island bus riders are not the best riders, but come on..this is some of the things i see on buses...

1. on some Orion VII NGs the s78 and s79...the yellow tape on the back door would be missing...or half peeled off...then when you touch it it dont work....does a passenger really do that on a bus with other people around? 4251 was the only one i remembered

2. the pull cords...ok yess people pull them hard...and some people play with them...but staten islanders Are SOOO used to them knowing that the Orion Vs Orion VII NGs and the Novas have pull cords....so tell me why are the xcelsiors the only bus model to have more than half the fleet with broken pull cords? the Nova LFS are good havent seen none broke or on the Orion VII 3Gs...just the xcelsiors...why? 4870 4871 4879 4881 4886 4896 just to put that out and thats not all the buses...theres a video on youtube of 4896 with broken pull cord...

3. the stop requested signs on Orion VII NGs and 3Gs....why are some upside down....showing just a red screen...or not fully alligned on the board? people cant control that so why is it happening? 7088 7074 7062

4. you know the silver bars on the seats in buses? that looks like a head rest...some of those look like they were snatched off on the Orion VII 3Gs.....would a passenger really spend that much time on a bus with other people trying to snatch of the bar?? 7070 is the bus

5. the nova lfs the back seats some are missing the cover...do you know how loud the snap would be on a bus with other people around? do you think someone would try to get caught? and where are the covers? would passenger walk off a bus with it? 8005 and 8022 are the only ones o remember...

now i really cant see people doing all of this on a bus....so who esle would...can the depot be the one doing these things? just something i see as a regular s.i bus rider...

Well, here's a motive:

The bus, being more damaged, has to be repaired, meaning that the maintenance workers get to be paid more.

Well, here's a motive:

The bus, being more damaged, has to be repaired, meaning that the maintenance workers get to be paid more.

so u telling me maintenance workers do that to get paid more?

so u telling me maintenance workers do that to get paid more?

It's just a theory...

I don't see any reason why the bus depot would deliberately damage its own buses.. after all they are the ones that are responsible for fixing them.. more damage to the buses = more work for them.

I believe the bus technicians are paid on a fixed salary, not piecework, so whether they are spending every second of their shift fixing buses or sitting there and playing chess they are still paid the same $$.

As for the damage to the buses you outlined... to put it in a nutshell, this is why we can't have nice things. People abuse things, things break naturally, and sometimes the maintenance workers can't get to every little problem on every single bus.

Edited by error46146
  • Upvote 3

One Ulmer Park 3G need a super-hard push to open the rear door.

yeahh i rode it bout 3 weeks ago its 7050

I don't see any reason why the bus depot would deliberately damage its own buses.. after all they are the ones that are responsible for fixing them.. more damage to the buses = more work for them.

I believe the bus technicians are paid on a fixed salary, not piecework, so whether they are spending every second of their shift fixing buses or sitting there and playing chess they are still paid the same $$.

As for the damage to the buses you outlined... to put it in a nutshell, this is why we can't have nice things. People abuse things, things break naturally, and sometimes the maintenance workers can't get to every little problem on every single bus.

i see what you mean but maybe its B/Os on their layovers and stuff...then blame it on the people...

I agree....some of those buses are just horrible....seems like they try to keep all the good buses on the S51 and S53 while they leave garbage on the S40 S46 and S52.

I agree....some of those buses are just horrible....seems like they try to keep all the good buses on the S51 and S53 while they leave garbage on the S40 S46 and S52.

LOL... Sorry to say it but it's a combination of the riders, the B/Os and a lack of maintenance... As for leaving "garbage" on the S40, S46 and S52... Those buses are relatively new, so if they're already garbage, you can thank the riders on those lines for that... The routes that tear up the buses the most are the S54, S40, S46 for the most part and the S44 I'm sure too... Those project folks can tear down some buses... I've seen it with my own two eyes on the S48... I mean if the S48 just went to say Richmond Avenue, the buses would be in much better shape.

Even the express buses on Staten Island are torn down, esp. the ones on the North Shore... I'm glad I left Staten Island... When I look at the express buses in Riverdale and how they're upkept and the express buses on Staten Island it is like night and day. Even the folks in Bay Ridge complained about how crappy the express buses were and they demanded new buses because they were tired of getting the junk express buses from Staten Island. That is one reason why Ulmer Park got entirely new express buses... :lol:

^Subliminally biased... <_<

I'd have to side with him on what he said....

The issues pertaining with the S.I fleet is definitely a mix between the animals (the riders) and the maintenance (or lack thereof). One time I was on the S48 and saw these guys just mess around with the seats of the LFS at the rear and then just commence to take them out for their stupid humor...

• Upvote 1

I'd have to side with him on what he said....

The issues pertaining with the S.I fleet is definitely a mix between the animals (the riders) and the maintenance (or lack thereof). One time I was on the S48 and saw these guys just mess around with the seats of the LFS at the rear and then just commence to take them out for their stupid humor...

thats #5 i posted....so you seen this happen from riders?!?! very shocking. i thought it was from prolly people that have the bus to themselves where no one is watching.

what about #1 and #3, i dont see how riders can cause that problem.

thats #5 i posted....so you seen this happen from riders?!?! very shocking. i thought it was from prolly people that have the bus to themselves where no one is watching.

what about #1 and #3, i dont see how riders can cause that problem.

1. A mix of riders & lack of maintenance....

3. Lack of maintenance... Though at the same time I can't really say that.

There has been a time or two where I have seen the stop request sign fall right out on some S.I, Brooklyn & Bronx buses after taking a beating on the road with the bumps and whatnot.

Edited by Cait Sith
  • Upvote 1

^Subliminally biased... <_<

lol... I'm sorry but it's true... Cait and S78 via Hylan know exactly what I'm talking about since they use the local buses on Staten Island regularly. The school kids on the S54 can really tear down some buses... If they don't screw up the cords, then they graffiti and scratchiti the buses on another level. For a while I just thought that Staten Island was neglected, but once the new buses started coming in, it became very clear what the problems were. Now the cigarette butts I've seen on some SI express buses are definitely from the B/Os, so they're not innocent either.

There has been a time or two where I have seen the stop request sign fall right out on some S.I, Brooklyn & Bronx buses after taking a beating on the road with the bumps and whatnot.

Yeah it is a lack of maintenance in a way, in addition to the riders... I mean I know what you're getting at... The buses have been running better in terms of mechanics, but the insides of those buses often times don't get touched, so you'll have the broken bells and other issues (like them being filthy inside), often times caused by the riders... The problem is the riders are so rough on those buses and from a maintenance point of view, the goal is to get the buses on the road, so the "small things" if you will like broken bells aren't a priority and then when you have so many things torn up on those buses it is hard to keep up. I mean we've had messed up bells on Riverdale buses, but the thing is we don't tear up the buses like that. Those broken bells are just from normal wear and tear as opposed to folks literally tearing down the buses. Normal wear and tear is easier to fix than the later.

I hate to say it, but another thing that helps contribute to the tearing down of the local buses esp. on Staten Island are the farebeaters. I find that they tend to be the ones that get on and **** up the buses the most. When you have that type of element riding buses, it isn't really that shocking that the buses would be in the condition that they are.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
  • Upvote 1

oohh bumps...i forgot about bumps...that plays a big part!

Yup, when the NGs ran on the S40, the potholes at Richmond Terrace were killers to them buses. Hence one of my sightings of a stop request sign falling out.

Why would depots damage buses? Really!

I won't say that Yukon or Castleton purposely damage their buses, but I get the feeling that there is a non-chalant attitude if you will so if a bus gets dented up, it's kind of like oh well. Whatever... Then when you think about all of the other factors of how those buses get torn down on Staten Island, dents are such a "minor" detail. Sad but true. Quite frankly, IMO, if they really had to keep those SI local and express buses in say the condition of Yonkers express buses, they would need double the staff for cleaning them, and fixing them up constantly.

lol... Yes and let's not forget what terrible shape the roads on Staten Island were in just a few years ago... Yet another reason I refused to get a car... I heard the horror stories of folks having to replace shocks and other parts of the car far more often then they should've just because of the terrible streets on Staten Island. It has since gotten better, partially due to the politicians on the Island making a stink, but yes, the buses have to taken a pouding.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Why would depots damage buses? Really!

b/os are part of the depot...they do...do slick things on there layover...not everyone is good...and seeing some of the things on s.i buses...it seems to weird to see that a passenger would do that...so maybe the maintanance workers do some stuff...i dont have proof...but i never seen a passenger break something on a bus...

• Upvote 1

So the mechanics can get paid O/T to fix them?

There's not a lot of stuff u can break purposely on a bus that you will automatically get overtime for. Now breaking/damaging things on a bus so that you can report that you had to fix it, effectively turning your 3 hour assigned job into a 6 or 7 hour job is a common practice in some depots (cough, cough MaBSTOA & SI division). As for the rest of the issues with the newer crop of buses, it's a mixture of a couple things some of them being mentions already in this thread. Lack of or poor maintenance, unruly passengers (mostly homeless people, teenagers, and farebeaters), factory defects (sh*t happens when you order so many buses at one time), and just plain old neglect are the cause of most if not all of these problems.

• Upvote 2

The only thing I can really say (and it's basically already been said) is that the thing with the tape on the back door is probably a mix of the passengers and maintainance. I mean, those things probably just fall apart after a while, but you could have somebody cutting the tape with a razor or something.

& this is seen in SI . i ride in the BX , Bk , Man , Qns & i know there 1 or 2 bad buses that might not be in best of conditions but this is rear...

SI need to buckle up or take a ride with Veiolia or something lol

FLA doesnt even want to take care of your trash

• Upvote 1