Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

Subway, light rail, or SBS for southeast queens. Hmmmm. Sounds like the options the MTA already went thru for other corridors.

As much as I myself like light rail, it's not feasible. The infrastructure needs to be built. Rails, stations cantinary, then there's the problem of traffic and parking. And seeing how this was a major impact in SEPTA restoring trolleys to their 15 route, kiss that idea goodbye. Otherwise, the BX12 and M15 would've been light rail. A subway.......best solution Imo, but look how long that takes in these times even in the 21st century. SBS is cheaper to start up and operate, but residents shot that down. A change in bus fleets (to artics) would be a good start to improving that region. Not a permanent onetime fix solution, but a good start.

I'm shocked that with all these ides to improving queens transit, no one AFAIK suggested SBS along woodhaven from rockaway to Woodside/Jackson heights. You may get less opposition from residents who continuously shut down the idea of subways along the row. You'll have a fast reliable corridor within queen's from north to South. Two routes are already there for this service (Q52/53). The space for bus lanes are there. And itnwill give a better streamlined service pattern than the current local/limited set up.

I bring this up because since the southeast area seems to be deadlocked, maybe the focus should be on other issues that may be solved.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Subway, light rail, or SBS for southeast queens. Hmmmm. Sounds like the options the MTA already went thru for other corridors.

As much as I myself like light rail, it's not feasible. The infrastructure needs to be built. Rails, stations cantinary, then there's the problem of traffic and parking. And seeing how this was a major impact in SEPTA restoring trolleys to their 15 route, kiss that idea goodbye. Otherwise, the BX12 and M15 would've been light rail. A subway.......best solution Imo, but look how long that takes in these times even in the 21st century. SBS is cheaper to start up and operate, but residents shot that down. A change in bus fleets (to artics) would be a good start to improving that region. Not a permanent onetime fix solution, but a good start.

I'm shocked that with all these ides to improving queens transit, no one AFAIK suggested SBS along woodhaven from rockaway to Woodside/Jackson heights. You may get less opposition from residents who continuously shut down the idea of subways along the row. You'll have a fast reliable corridor within queen's from north to South. Two routes are already there for this service (Q52/53). The space for bus lanes are there. And itnwill give a better streamlined service pattern than the current local/limited set up.

I bring this up because since the southeast area seems to be deadlocked, maybe the focus should be on other issues that may be solved.

The SBS idea has been mentioned before, just not in this thread. You're right that it would draw less opposition from NIMBYs, but the thing is that they might use it as an excuse not to get the Rockaway Branch restored in the long run (Oh, you have +SBS+, so you should be happy with that).

To be honest, most rockaway residents would be happy with that very much! We would like a subway, but if there's a compromise that would benefit everyone, SBS would be it. Trust me on this. Personally, I would love a subway. But if SBS makes it faster and easier now, I'm for it!

They can use that excuse all they want. A major goal was achieved before we all get Grey hair.

It's nice to see someone thinking rationally and in the world of reality...

Just because you disagree with others doesn't mean that those people automatically are irrational and live in fantasy land.

Back on the Woodhaven SBS why do this when there is already a limited bus?

Just because you disagree with others doesn't mean that those people automatically are irrational and live in fantasy land.

Well those limiteds are held up by:

heavy passenger load-

traffic-

traffic lights-

SBS would take care of some of the problems like

off-board fare collection-

bus lane so that it can use it without having to manuever between cars

signals so traffic lights can stay green more on the bus' direction

It's irrational because most of this WON'T happen not because it isn't practical. There just simply isn't money for all of this which is what I said earlier.

Here is err again an instafix Add turnstiles to most LIRR Eastern queens stations some useless ones bite the dust. Restructure the LIRR fare structure to integrate it's fare with metrocard then in the future turn metrocard into a Zone card for railroad use. But for queens merge the damn fare structures so everybody can afford it then add service to the LIRR to become similar to subway levels 30 to 25 min service off peak is ideal. Problem solved!!!! No more zone 1 and 3 just metrocard zone. If you need details on how it works I will post more later.

You do realize Q53/52 are fast SBS is just going to get them MORE CRUSHED as ppl who don't know will know and try it cause they are already fast SBS basically superspeed

QJ, you do realize that not only do SBS routes mostly come from former Limiteds, but as a frequent user, a former rockaway residents fornover 20yrs, I think I would know more about the benefits of this proposed SBS route.I have used woodhaven, from Woodside to rockaway, duringthe winter and summer. At night and day. During weekends and rush hours. Trust me when I say SBS will not only be used successfully, but improve the corridor, especially for rockaway residents, and will ease up he need to open the old row.

Well all i have to say is SBS would be great for the Q53/52, if not SBS at least put artics on that line. I been doing the Q53 for the last two picks and i must say no matter what time,day or season it is that line is crush loads, even with the Q52 there to help out the 53 we still are crush load. The problem with the Q53 is that from 61st, 74th till we get to queens blvd we are alrady packed. Now if that Q52 is not at HOffman dr by the time Q53 arrives it gets even worst, thats one of the reasons why you tend to see like three or so 53 behind each other its the crowds that holds us up. So SBS would be perfect for the Q53 or at least put artics on that line.

QJ, you do realize that not only do SBS routes mostly come from former Limiteds, but as a frequent user, a former rockaway residents fornover 20yrs, I think I would know more about the benefits of this proposed SBS route.I have used woodhaven, from Woodside to rockaway, duringthe winter and summer. At night and day. During weekends and rush hours. Trust me when I say SBS will not only be used successfully, but improve the corridor, especially for rockaway residents, and will ease up he need to open the old row.

Yeah lets put a rocket launcher on the already fast Q53!!! lol Q53 the speed line.

Well all i have to say is SBS would be great for the Q53/52, if not SBS at least put artics on that line. I been doing the Q53 for the last two picks and i must say no matter what time,day or season it is that line is crush loads, even with the Q52 there to help out the 53 we still are crush load. The problem with the Q53 is that from 61st, 74th till we get to queens blvd we are alrady packed. Now if that Q52 is not at HOffman dr by the time Q53 arrives it gets even worst, thats one of the reasons why you tend to see like three or so 53 behind each other its the crowds that holds us up. So SBS would be perfect for the Q53 or at least put artics on that line.

If SBS is implemented on woodhaven blvd then CHOICE RIDERS WOULD MOB CRUSH this line hard especially when gas prices go up IT WILL NEED ARTICS!!!!!! Heck if that ain't enough then something crazy will have to be done as other connecting lines will feel the force shockwave hard.

If the Q53 is "already fast', then why the need for activating the RoW then?. The fact is, the rockaway limited is already most of the time, crowded. And when using it in and out of rockaway, it's still a long trip. What's wrong with giving rockaway riders an even faster option that doesn't hit the pocket as hard as building a subway? I've rode it way enough times over the years. It was lighting fast under triboro. Now it's stops along woodhaven, which by the way is a good thing, but ridership jumped. Its good candidate for SBS. and a good compromise for rockaway residents.

The best thing to do would be to connect the old RoW to Queens Blvd and have trains run express via 63rd Street to Whitehall (as a new (W)).

If Phase 3 ever gets completed, I'd send the new line down to Houston Street, since there will be a connection to 63rd Street there.

The Q53 is still crowded and it has the Q11, Q21 and Q52. Maybe the headways should be every 4-5 minutes instead of the 8 and 9 minutes it has now. And if the Q52 is going to be any use lower the headways down to 8 or even 10 like the Q53 has it now. All I say is that if this happens then the Q21 should be eliminated. You would be a damn fool if you want to wait 30 minutes for the Q21 to go to howard beach when you can take the Q52 and Q53 to the Q41 or walk from crossbay blvd. There are many routes that can be cut or fixed and this could save the MTA lots of money.

The best thing to do would be to connect the old RoW to Queens Blvd and have trains run express via 63rd Street to Whitehall (as a new (W)).

If Phase 3 ever gets completed, I'd send the new line down to Houston Street, since there will be a connection to 63rd Street there.

No I don't agree with you. You want to know why because just to build back that line will cost the MTA millions. Money just doesn't fall from the sky. This idea will not happenen any time soon.

The 21 still has its purposes. Also, it kind of replaced an old branch of the 11 at its newest southern terminal.

The headway could be improved. But maybe it could use attics.

The point of this thread is to discuss improvement in the short term which, as college Pt Man shows, costs the least amout of money and takes the least amount of time. Some here, including those who know he route like me, don't think SBS is a good idea, and I respect that. But one thing is clear, we should forget the "fantasy" of rebuilding he old RoW.

Personally, the issue I have with woodhaven is not the headway or the crowds. Crowds to me means the route is successful. My issue,(once again, this comes from me being a rockaway commuter for 20yrs, is the travel time. Making travel time from rockaway shorter has been the focus for decades. There's a lot of resistance from nimbys and budgets for a subway expansion in queens. I feel woodhaven is he next best candidate after Merrick bl for SBS.

I'm tired of people calling every SINGLE subway expansion proposal that is put forward as "fantasy". l am well aware that money does not fall from the sky. If I though that I'd want a subway under every street. What I'm trying to say is that the problem has spiraled out to the point where some kind of subway expansion is necessary, and people need to realize that rather than calling every such proposal a foamer's fantasy....

Reactivating the row the smart way is to make it a subway or extend metronorth over ROW to allow a one seat ride from CT and upstate to JFK. LGA is easy due to M60 from 125th. Either of these 2 ways would bring frequent service to that region. ROW ROCKAWAY AS LIRR is gonna be useless if its every hour and would be the costliest way due to pulling LIRR trains out ur ass forqueens plz. When you can go subway or extend existing MNRR trains running frequent. People forget if it is not frequent it will not work.

Archived