Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

Reactivating the row the smart way is to make it a subway or extend metronorth over ROW to allow a one seat ride from CT and upstate to JFK. LGA is easy due to M60 from 125th. Either of these 2 ways would bring frequent service to that region. ROW ROCKAWAY AS LIRR is gonna be useless if its every hour and would be the costliest way due to pulling LIRR trains out ur ass forqueens plz. When you can go subway or extend existing MNRR trains running frequent. People forget if it is not frequent it will not work.

It's enough that riders miss the trains, and there is a heavily seated load at GCT. Those folks won't like it if people are already on from let's say the Rockaways. If everyone is questioning it, make the Q53 run to 63 Drive as well. Simple solution

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 53 used to use 63rd drive. The MTA after the takeover rerouted it to its current route. Fact is, not much ridership warranted it.

Threxx, it's not every subway proposal that's fantasy. But when it comes to one on a larger scale like the RoW, it's basically just that. We here try to come up with logical realistic solutions that can actually be done given the MTA's situations, practices and budget. Stop getting so mad at that. Seriously. If you wanna look into planning routes for real, you have to weigh in those factors. Finances, demand, opposition, needs over wants. We all want subway expansion. We need improved service now. I would absolutely LOVE the RoW opened. Chances are, it's not happening In not happening in my lifetime. So its, for now, fantasy. SBS can hold it down until the day fantasy becomes reality. 80 yrs ago, second Ave was fantasy. It's becoming reality. And the M15 SBS is holding it down until reality.

If you can't take the criticism then don't post. I can take it. Can you?

Threxx, it's not every subway proposal that's fantasy. But when it comes to one on a larger scale like the RoW, it's basically just that. We here try to come up with logical realistic solutions that can actually be done given the MTA's situations, practices and budget. Stop getting so mad at that. Seriously. If you wanna look into planning routes for real, you have to weigh in those factors. Finances, demand, opposition, needs over wants. We all want subway expansion. We need improved service now. I would absolutely LOVE the RoW opened. Chances are, it's not happening In not happening in my lifetime. So its, for now, fantasy. SBS can hold it down until the day fantasy becomes reality. 80 yrs ago, second Ave was fantasy. It's becoming reality. And the M15 SBS is holding it down until reality.

You mean the (MTA) can afford to build a subway that stays in Manhattan and therefore won't relieve crowding on Lex? And at the same time the (MTA) can't afford to help outer borough riders? The (MTA) logic is twisted and we here need to untwist this logic. That is where the subway proposals come in.

At the same time I am concerned about the (E) extension some of us proposed. Where would all of the people go? There is literally no more room left on the (E).

I'm tired of people calling every SINGLE subway expansion proposal that is put forward as "fantasy". l am well aware that money does not fall from the sky. If I though that I'd want a subway under every street. What I'm trying to say is that the problem has spiraled out to the point where some kind of subway expansion is necessary, and people need to realize that rather than calling every such proposal a foamer's fantasy....

But you have to understand. The MTA is broke and lets say if they go ahead with this plan. What trains are they going to use because the R179's are not coming for a good while. Like I said before you need to stop making these ideas that are impossible and try to keep it simple.

You mean the (MTA) can afford to build a subway that stays in Manhattan and therefore won't relieve crowding on Lex? And at the same time the (MTA) can't afford to help outer borough riders? The (MTA) logic is twisted and we here need to untwist this logic. That is where the subway proposals come in.

At the same time I am concerned about the (E) extension some of us proposed. Where would all of the people go? There is literally no more room left on the (E).

Most people will get off the (E) at Jamaica Parsons-Archer and take the bus home. Those going to Rochdale Village, Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, and Rosedale will either stay on the (E), or get off at Parsons-Archer to and take the Q5, Q85, Q111, or Q113 home. The new (E) to Southeast Queens will be packed during rush hours, and it might not reduce crowding on certain routes like the Q85.

Most people will get off the (E) at Jamaica Parsons-Archer and take the bus home. Those going to Rochdale Village, Springfield Gardens, Laurelton, and Rosedale will either stay on the (E), or get off at Parsons-Archer to and take the Q5, Q85, Q111, or Q113 home. The new (E) to Southeast Queens will be packed during rush hours, and it might not reduce crowding on certain routes like the Q85.

If the (E) went down The LIRR branch to Laurelton and Rosedale and Locust Manor, many people may actually stay on the (E) and not take the Q85. Bulk of Q85's ridership is in Rochdale and it empties a lot after it goes off of Bedell unless it is a weekend afternoon and a green acres bound bus but anyways yeah that's how I see it....

And SAS isn't a waste. It's to supplement the Lex. If the line doesn't leave Manhattan, it's NOT a waste. If that's the case, call the BQ Crosstown a waste. Second Ave will relieve some crowding on the Lex. People who would board the Lex within Manhattan above 59th st will use SAS. And if anyone claims that there's no high usage within the East side of Manhattan 1) never rode the Lex during the day consistently and 2) is smoking something powerful and needs to share!!!

Btw, sas was also funded with a good chunk of FEDERAL money. And they don't just give that away to anyone wanting to build a subway. Even here in NYC. Demographics has to show there's a NEED for such service. And on the east side of Manhattan, there's a NEED.

And SAS isn't a waste. It's to supplement the Lex. If the line doesn't leave Manhattan, it's NOT a waste. If that's the case, call the BQ Crosstown a waste. Second Ave will relieve some crowding on the Lex. People who would board the Lex within Manhattan above 59th st will use SAS. And if anyone claims that there's no high usage within the East side of Manhattan 1) never rode the Lex during the day consistently and 2) is smoking something powerful and needs to share!!!

Btw, sas was also funded with a good chunk of FEDERAL money. And they don't just give that away to anyone wanting to build a subway. Even here in NYC. Demographics has to show there's a NEED for such service. And on the east side of Manhattan, there's a NEED.

The logic of the current SAS plan and the Crosstown is different. The Crosstown serves to connect central Brooklyn residents with options to Manhattan at both ends. It does that fairly well. The current SAS will only serve two residential areas: Harlem and the UES. However, the majority of Lexington Avenue ridership comes from the Bronx. So the logic is twisted.

The logic of the current SAS plan and the Crosstown is different. The Crosstown serves to connect central Brooklyn residents with options to Manhattan at both ends. It does that fairly well. The current SAS will only serve two residential areas: Harlem and the UES. However, the majority of Lexington Avenue ridership comes from the Bronx. So the logic is twisted.

You have to consider that East Harlem & the UES are some of the densest residential areas in the city. At least it'll do something to relieve the crowding on the Lex.

I agree with checkmate. It is true when trains arrive at 125th they are crowded. But south of there the stations are. Those stations will see reduced crowding on stations when phase one opens. After phase 2, those who begin to transfer at 59th st to other lines have the option at 125 to transfer early giving riders south more space to wait for and board trains.

But ofcourse, this is the wrong thread for this part. If you wanna know kow the logic in not flawed, ask me in the sas thread and ill gladly break it down specifically as to how it will help without leaving Manhattan. Remember, everyone doesn't have to have a one seat ride.

• 5 months later...

The (W) train was a waste of money going from Whitehall St to Astoria. At least you have a express and a local train going into manhattan and then to Coney Island. If the (W) is brought back it should go to Bay Parkway like the old (M) did but other than then that I think service is good the way it is on the Astoria line.

Archived