Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

But with the way LIC has been growing along with how affluent the area has become that I would think with the right routing that there could be some ridership there too no?

The QM22 should stay on 21st Street with at least one or two stops south of Hoyt, around where you're talking about.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But with the way LIC has been growing along with how affluent the area has become that I would think with the right routing that there could be some ridership there too no?

That would make sense, except the part of LIC the QM22 served isn't the part of LIC that's growing..... The part of LIC that's becoming yuppified is over there around vernon/jackson av, which is well south of the (queensborough) bridge......

It would be like serving sheepshead bay & bensonhurst/bath beach w/ the same express route.....

I'm not even sure how you'd (feasibly) route an express route like that, serving that part of LIC in question & serving Astoria.....

That would make sense, except the part of LIC the QM22 served isn't the part of LIC that's growing..... The part of LIC that's becoming yuppified is over there around vernon/jackson av, which is well south of the (queensborough) bridge......

It would be like serving sheepshead bay & bensonhurst/bath beach w/ the same express route.....

I'm not even sure how you'd (feasibly) route an express route like that, serving that part of LIC in question & serving Astoria.....

Ah, I see... Yeah in that sense then it would be pointless.

You could have it go through the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, make its way to Vernon Blvd, then go up Vernon to 36th Avenue (since Vernon is industrial once you get out of Hunters Point, there shouldn't be much traffic), and continue along 21st Street. But that probably wouldn't be worth it, since it would slow down service for Astoria riders.

For references:

QM22 September 2, 2001 schedule:

http://www.triborocoach.com/summer2003pdfs/QM22%209_02_01%20e.pdf (Eastbound to Astoria)

http://www.triborocoach.com/summer2003pdfs/QM22%209_02_01%20w.pdf (Westbound to Manhattan)

QM22 schedule (click on QM22):

http://web.archive.org/web/20000304113534/http://www.jamaicabus.com/menu/menu.html

QM22 Winter 2009 schedule (Full):

http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/qm022cur.pdf

Queens Bus Map September 2009:

http://www.viajandoparanovaiorque.com.br/pdf/busqns.pdf

You could have it go through the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, make its way to Vernon Blvd, then go up Vernon to 36th Avenue (since Vernon is industrial once you get out of Hunters Point, there shouldn't be much traffic), and continue along 21st Street. But that probably wouldn't be worth it, since it would slow down service for Astoria riders.

Yeah, that's exactly why I said "(feasibly)".....

....and most yuppie hippie dont ride express bus are only interest in subway train.

lol.... there's some truth to that though.....

It does make sence for the (A) to go down there, it dosen't make sense for it to be the only line going down there, and that's why we need the Triboro RX, the Winfield Spur and the northern half of the Rockaway Branch to be built/reactivated...

Winfield spur where is that?

That is true. It's just that I'd feel that the QM22 would be more visible to people if it ran all the way down Ditmars instead of 21st Avenue, so that people who would ordinarily take the Q69 or the subway might give it some thought.

QM22= it's just an astoria bound overpriced Q32. QM22 = overpriced Q32

21 Street ridership was not that great. The biggest stop on 21 Street was 21 Street and 34 Avenue at Queensview apartment which got 5 to 8 rider per bus in AM hour. Most QM22 rider were women and were old time Astoria resident not new yuppie hipster resident I see in Astoria.

Yuppies will not be caught dead on a bus as duplicative as QM22 those old time residents are not enough to sustain a good ridership base anyway. The expresses that were cut were cut for being useless.

I have to say that I agree with Q23, CT and QM1. I had to travel to Queens on several occasions, and recently had to give tutoring sessions far out and I had to take three buses to get there because the area was served by express bus service, but only during rush hours. The QM5 and QM6 are not enough and quite frankly, as others have said, you need a car to get around in some cases which IMO can be WORSE than the commute on Staten Island. Now other people keep talking about oh there's the LIRR and this and that, but there are some areas where the LIRR can be a schlepp to get to and it would be better to have more express bus service and for that matter to eliminate the need for a gazillion transfers I also feel that some north-south local buses should be extended to act as feeders to express buses. I kept looking the map trying to figure out how I could get to my destination quickly without the long schlepp on the subway plus transfers to the bus and there really wasn't many options. Quite pathetic if you ask me. IMO Staten Island and Queens has some of the worst transportation options.

I also agree with Astoria fighting to get the (W) and QM22 back. The QM22 should be restored at some point and its hours extended because with just two runs each way, it is no wonder ridership would be low.

Which parts of queens are you talking about that need more north-south buses? like Q76 ect you do realize QM6/5 have 7 day service right. What rush hour only route are you talking about.

they ride express bus most yuppie are in Astoria take Q100 Q102 Q103 which always used to be black people buses since I move here.

Black people buses how? :huh: You mean that mainly black folks rode those buses? Interesting. I do recall being in Astoria in a car with friends and driving past some sort of housing project, so I guess not all of Astoria is upscale. In any event, what about the LIRR East Side project? Will any trains be making more stops in Queens as a result?

Winfield spur where is that?

Give up QM22 = useless it's just an astoria bound overpriced Q32.

Yuppies will not be caught dead on a bus as duplicative as QM22 those old time residents are not enough to sustain a good ridership base anyway. The expresses that were cut were cut for being useless.

What about post you made in past. You say that QM22 was not useless.

http://www.nyctransi...it-be-improved/

"The QM22 was surprising to me I never thought it even carried??? However the area's elderly population fueled the QM22 to levels beyond what it would carry without the elderly population as those are the only peeps that would use QM22 in the first place. If it carried heavy in its trip why was it cut????"

Q32 does not run in Astoria and Q32 area and QM22 area are different.

Which parts of queens are you talking about that need more north-south buses? like Q76 ect you do realize QM6/5 have 7 day service right. What rush hour only route are you talking about.

Basically it would be nice to have more North-South local buses that connected to the main express buses, two of which are the QM5 and QM6. You can pretty much make that statement for most parts of Queens.

Q32 does not run in Astoria and Q32 area and QM22 area are different.

I think he made the comparison that both served Jackson Heights and both went to Midtown. However, I agree with you, only the QM22 served Astoria and went all the way to Midtown, unlike, let's say, the Q101 that goes only to Lexington.

Black people buses how? :huh: You mean that mainly black folks rode those buses? Interesting. I do recall being in Astoria in a car with friends and driving past some sort of housing project, so I guess not all of Astoria is upscale. In any event, what about the LIRR East Side project? Will any trains be making more stops in Queens as a result?

I know there are some sort of projects around Queensbridge, but when I went to take some Q18, Q102, and Q103 photos around 8th Street and 30th Avenue, I noticed what seems to be another project that I wasn't aware of before.

As far as I know, the LIRR will have a stop at Sunnyside.

lol... You're thinking about the yuppies/hipsters in Kensington that ride the express bus aren't you? :lol:

I was actually thinking about the hipsters in williamsburg that all bombard the (L)

Q100 = baby mama express.... I'd say at least 90% of the riders on this route are black ppl..

Q102 = elderly women... noticably more black than white....

Q103 = south of the F train (meaning, heading towards the 7), basically & for the most part no one.... but of the ppl that take the 103 down there, they're more whites than blacks/hispanics...

at the F train & points north, middle aged blacks (few whites & spanish here & there, nothin significant though)

I know there are some sort of projects around Queensbridge, but when I went to take some Q18, Q102, and Q103 photos around 8th Street and 30th Avenue, I noticed what seems to be another project that I wasn't aware of before.

Those are the Astoria Houses. There's also the Ravenswood Houses down by 36th Avenue, and of course, the Queensbridge Houses by the (F).

Isn't there already a LIRR stop by Sunnyside though?

That's Woodside.

I was actually thinking about the hipsters in williamsburg that all bombard the (L)

Well I recall you mentioning some yuppy types getting on the BM express buses... Anywho, I can't believe that LIRR expansion is only creating one stop in Queens... That's a joke... That right there needs to be addressed.

Well I recall you mentioning some yuppy types getting on the BM express buses... Anywho, I can't believe that LIRR expansion is only creating one stop in Queens... That's a joke... That right there needs to be addressed.

Hell, the LIRR doesnt give a crap about its existing stations in Queens (except for Jamaica), much less would they care about opening up any new stations in Queens. The only other station they're thinking of reopening is the Old Elmhurst station on the PW Branch, and thats mostly because the community is pushing for it. The office that I'm working at now is leading the push for it.

There's also the Ravenswood Houses down by 36th Avenue

Had a homegirl that lived in that dump..... instead of dealing w/ the 69, sometimes I would walk from the (N) @ 36th to get to those houses....

Well I recall you mentioning some yuppy types getting on the BM express buses...

Anywho, I can't believe that LIRR expansion is only creating one stop in Queens... That's a joke... That right there needs to be addressed.

Yeah, they do..... but when I read his comment, I was thinkin about williamsburg & the L......

hippies definitely aint thinkin about takin the express & are far more subway enthused.... yuppies'll be a little more apt to taking an express bus.......

As far as the LIRR, creating that one stop is much ado about nothing.... worse, I can bet LI riders are gonna start complaining about that 1 measly stop.....

"well they have the subway don't they"

Archived