Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

As far as the LIRR, creating that one stop is much ado about nothing.... worse, I can bet LI riders are gonna start complaining about that 1 measly stop.....

"well they have the subway don't they"

Funny you mention that because I get that kind of feeling on MetroNorth once we get to the stops like Marble Hill and further down in the Bronx. They have more of a city feel so it is odd having MetroNorth serve them and the subway would seem more like the choice that folks would make in those areas. However, the subway unfortunately is painfully slow in some areas.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you mention that because I get that kind of feeling on MetroNorth once we get to the stops like Marble Hill and further down in the Bronx. They have more of a city feel so it is odd having MetroNorth serve them and the subway would seem more like the choice that folks would make in those areas. However, the subway unfortunately is painfully slow in some areas.

But not slow enough to make LIRR act like a local service in queens. In the bronx tremont and melrose are completely USELESS there are other alternatives plus the subway there ain't slow enough. The (2) is another story though. MNRR should not be stopping south of fordham period. Elmhurst is a short subway ride away the LIRR does not need to be slowed down that much. LIRR is for LI RIDERS. SE queens however those stations rosedale locast manor and laurelton are the few stations that can get more service without slowing down the trip cause only far rockaway and long beach trains stop there you can blame track configuration a bit but those 3 stations only add 4 minutes to ones trip to jamacia though. Meaning off peak service can improve to every 30 mins at those SE queens stations without pissing too many ppl off. Babylon trains make enough stops in LI thank you they do not need more stops in queens heck I will go as far as say kew gardens needs to bite the dust as few ppl use it and it is redundant. Forest hills not so much cause it links you to local (M)(R) service as jamacia and kew gardens require you to transfer again.

The subway isn't that close to the Hudson Line at Morris Heights and University Heights, getting to the subway requires a walk or a bus ride to the (1), (A), (4), (B), or (D)

In the bronx tremont and melrose are completely USELESS there are other alternatives plus the subway there ain't slow enough. The (2) is another story though. MNRR should not be stopping south of fordham period.

Those stations do have reverse commuters. Tremont and Melrose should have more service in the reverse peak direction. There IS no subway in those areas. The (8) - Third Avenue Elevated Line was demolished in 1973. The Bx55 has been cut back again, either a crosstown bus or the slow Bx15 or Bx41 most of evenings and weekends.

The subway isn't that close to the Hudson Line at Morris Heights and University Heights, getting to the subway requires a walk or a bus ride to the (1), (A), (4), (B), or (D)

It's funny that you make that argument because every time I make that argument for express buses I'm told folks can just walk or take a bus ride to the subway. What is the difference here seeing that these stations are very lightly used?? <_<

It's funny that you make that argument because every time I make that argument for express buses I'm told folks can just walk or take a bus ride to the subway. What is the difference here seeing that these stations are very lightly used?? <_<

none really however train has ppl from other northernmost places however those stations have potential look to GWB how clues wink wink.

Reverse-peak riders, not to mention it doesn't cost a whole lot to keep them open and have a few trains stop there. You don't have to add a whole new train just to serve the station or anything.

Getting back on topic . . . the problem, as stated earlier in the thread, is that there are only three subway (or el, depending on the line) corridors in Queens: QBL, Roosevelt, and Jamaica. The (A) (both Lefferts and Rockaway) don't have many stops in Queens, so I wouldn't consider that a corridor. The result is that some neighborhoods (like Maspeth) are not served by any subway. Not to mention how these major subway corridors don't go into the outer reaches of the borough (unlike The Bronx, for example, with some of its lines going within a handful of blocks of Westchester County). Beyond that there are parts of Queens with lousy bus service. For example I heard one time that there are only three bus lines that serve Maspeth. That may be an exaggeration, but we see the point.

Getting back on topic . . . the problem, as stated earlier in the thread, is that there are only three subway (or el, depending on the line) corridors in Queens: QBL, Roosevelt, and Jamaica. The (A) (both Lefferts and Rockaway) don't have many stops in Queens, so I wouldn't consider that a corridor. The result is that some neighborhoods (like Maspeth) are not served by any subway. Not to mention how these major subway corridors don't go into the outer reaches of the borough (unlike The Bronx, for example, with some of its lines going within a handful of blocks of Westchester County). Beyond that there are parts of Queens with lousy bus service. For example I heard one time that there are only three bus lines that serve Maspeth. That may be an exaggeration, but we see the point.

Maps has the Q67 (good for use weekdays), the Q58/Q59 and the Q18. The Q39 also goes on the extremes

Living in Queens sucks royally transportation wise.. I am used to living in Manhattan and having a plethora of options.. Now I live literally in the middle of nowhere.. The nearest subway lines are the (E)(F)(J)(Z) and they are a 30-40 minute bus ride.. May I mention that all the SE Queens routes are either very late/early (barely on time) and always packed.. LIRR isn't practical for me as I'm only a teen and during school, I already have a student metrocard.. I go to school in Astoria and my commute to school can be anywhere from 1hr 40 mins to 2 hours depending on delays and what not... It really sucks..

A typical school commute for me is Q85 (the closest bus route to me, although I can take long walks to the Q3, Q5, Q6, Q77, Q111 and Q113, the Q85 is the most direct and it is LTD) -> (E) from Jamaica Ctr to Court Square -> (7) from Court Square to QBP -> (N) or (Q) to Astoria-Ditmars

Living in Queens sucks royally transportation wise.. I am used to living in Manhattan and having a plethora of options.. Now I live literally in the middle of nowhere.. The nearest subway lines are the (E)(F)(J)(Z) and they are a 30-40 minute bus ride.. May I mention that all the SE Queens routes are either very late/early (barely on time) and always packed.. LIRR isn't practical for me as I'm only a teen and during school, I already have a student metrocard.. I go to school in Astoria and my commute to school can be anywhere from 1hr 40 mins to 2 hours depending on delays and what not... It really sucks..

A typical school commute for me is Q85 (the closest bus route to me, although I can take long walks to the Q3, Q5, Q6, Q77, Q111 and Q113, the Q85 is the most direct and it is LTD) -> (E) from Jamaica Ctr to Court Square -> (7) from Court Square to QBP -> (N) or (Q) to Astoria-Ditmars

Well in your case the only thing that would help would be the express bus or LIRR. You have the LIRR but just choose the bus to the train. Couldn't you go to a school that was closer?? :huh:

Well in your case the only thing that would help would be the express bus or LIRR. You have the LIRR but just choose the bus to the train...

LIRR -> MY school is in Astoria, there is no LIRR station around there, I would have to take the (7) or the Q69 anyways

Express Bus -> I go to school in Astoria, the point of that is????????????????????

And I don't have a job, LIRR and Express Bus is expensive...

Don't assume that I CHOOSE to take local bus/subway

Not everyone wants to take the express bus VG8 ....

LIRR -> MY school is in Astoria, there is no LIRR station around there, I would have to take the (7) or the Q69 anyways

Express Bus -> I go to school in Astoria, the point of that is????????????????????

And I don't have a job, LIRR and Express Bus is expensive...

Don't assume that I CHOOSE to take local bus/subway

Not everyone wants to take the express bus VG8 ....

Yeah, but that's because you choose to go to that school. Can't blame crappy transit on that. I mean what exactly would you propose they do to make your commute easier from Springfield Gardens to Astoria that didn't involve the LIRR or express bus??

Yeah, but that's because you choose to go to that school. Can't blame crappy transit on that. I mean what exactly would you propose they do to make your commute easier from Springfield Gardens to Astoria that didn't involve the LIRR or express bus??

I am not transferring schools, I am a junior, it is too late... I didn't know I was gonna move to Springfield Gardens, I only been living here for 4 months BUT I've been going to this school for 3 years... Things out of my control.... And the (E) was supposed to go to Springfield Gardens before. If you ever go to Jamaica Center (which I highly doubt you ever will) the tunnels and tracks extend pretty far and the original plan was to extend it to Springfield Gardens but the (MTA) ran out of money.... I would just continue that but it would take years..

I am not transferring schools, I am a junior, it is too late... I didn't know I was gonna move to Springfield Gardens, I only been living here for 4 months BUT I've been going to this school for 3 years... Things out of my control.... And the (E) was supposed to go to Springfield Gardens before. If you ever go to Jamaica Center (which I highly doubt you ever will) the tunnels and tracks extend pretty far and the original plan was to extend it to Springfield Gardens but the (MTA) ran out of money.... I would just continue that but it would take years..

lol... I've been by Jamaica Center... Even so though, that would only eliminate perhaps the bus to the subway issue, but you would still have several transfers no?

So either way it wouldn't be an easy commute... Still three trains... I think traveling to certain parts of Queens from Manhattan sucks, but travel within Queens I'm not so sure about.

I don't mind using three trains, it is better than taking a bus and three trains.....

Archived