Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk I haven't used it. But Laurelton is the closest station.. I can walk to Rosedale and Locust Manor, and St Albans is a short bus ride.

I get the feeling that some of those LIRR stations over there are lightly used and I'm not sure where you'd have stops at along the (E) anyway, not to mention the astronomical cost. I'm sorry to say this but some areas of Queens are better suited without subways and the area by you is one of them.

I get the feeling that some of those LIRR stations over there are lightly used and I'm not sure where you'd have stops at along the (E) anyway, not to mention the astronomical cost. I'm sorry to say this but some areas of Queens are better suited without subways and the area by you is one of them.

-_______- anyways, the LIRR stations are used a bit, I always see people walking to them... The buses are packed, the subway would ease the crowding.. The (E) was supposed to go down Merrick I believe so there is the answer to your question... Try living here and taking the buses, then you would see that a subway would help a lot

Most of the lines in SE Queens get over 10,000 riders a day each. The character is similar to the North Shore of SI, and they proposed a rail line (not commuter rail) there, so why not. Aside from that, the RPA (Regional Planning Association) released a study that showed the commute times and population density, and showed that the area could support a subway line (by taking over the LIRR's Laurelton Branch)

Aside from that, Amtrak7 has the stats for the usage of each station, and the usage isn't that low.

As for the locations of the stations, just have the (E) take over the Laurelton Branch, and add a few stops. The cost wouldn't be astronomical. <_<

Do realize that the (E) was originally supposed to be built out to Springfield Gardens. the LIRR stations there are lightly used because not everyone can afford the luxury of shelling out over $5 when they can take the bus to the subway for 2.25.

I don't get why in world folks would move to areas with expensive transit options and then complain that they don't have a subway?? I mean come on now. What do you expect? That's like moving to Staten Island and complaining about having to pay for the express bus. I mean really... <_< When I moved to Riverdale I was already paying for the express bus so I just kept that cost in with my cost of living and that was the end of it.

I don't get why in world folks would move to areas with expensive transit options and then complain that they don't have a subway?? I mean come on now. What do you expect? That's like moving to Staten Island and complaining about having to pay for the express bus. I mean really... <_< When I moved to Riverdale I was already paying for the express bus so I just kept that cost in with my cost of living and that was the end of it.

Here's the thing - they don't pay for the express bus. They stay on the local bus to the subway, which are both overcrowded. The bus takes a while too.

Here's the thing - they don't pay for the express bus. They stay on the local bus to the subway, which are both overcrowded. The bus takes a while too.

Express bus, MetroNorth, LIRR... Same crappola... Still makes no sense to complain. They already knew what they were getting when they moved to those areas... Unless they've got the answer to get monies to build out new subway stations, I don't see them happening, not to mention the potential NIMBY's. I sure as hell don't want a subway in my neighborhood and I know quite a few residents that don't want one either there. Our "subway" is MetroNorth... The further east in Queens you go the more suburban it feels and quite frankly having subways there at this point would destroy some neighborhoods.

You need to see it from the people's point of view... Not bad areas and the houses and cost of living aren't very high... A lot of people live in SE Queens and a lot have cars and a lot have to use mass transit.. My family all have cars but they can't drive me.. Now that isn't my fault is it? That is very unfair of you to say that...

You need to see it from the people's point of view... Not bad areas and the houses and cost of living aren't very high... A lot of people live in SE Queens and a lot have cars and a lot have to use mass transit.. My family all have cars but they can't drive me.. Now that isn't my fault is it? That is very unfair of you to say that...

How so? You seriously think that the majority would want subways rammed through their neighborhoods? I don't know about that. If anything I think express bus service and local bus service could be beefed up. Aside from that LIRR has discounts on the weekends. If it were me I'd run more limited stop service in certain areas or special subway type buses to link folks to the subways quicker.

How so? You seriously think that the majority would want subways rammed through their neighborhoods? I don't know about that. If anything I think express bus service and local bus service could be beefed up. Aside from that LIRR has discounts on the weekends. If it were me I'd run more limited stop service in certain areas or special subway type buses to link folks to the subways quicker.

It's unfair because you say "They should've known what they were getting into when they moved there" .. It is a large population, many have cars, many don't, some put up with it, some can't, I can barely tolerate it... I am not transferring schools also because the schools around here SUCK but anyways, the Q85 already should have LTD service on saturdays, I have said that loads of times..

Astoria Line can take x63 or x64 bus to Manhattan 57 Street 3 Avenue and transfer to N or Q at 59 Street Lexington.

I can't afford to pay 11$ a day for express bus. I'm only a teenager and I have no job......x63 requires me taking the Q85 to Rosedale btw. It isn't close at all... x64 is in Cambria Heights, that isn't the closest to me either....

LOL. And when you first joined, all you did was complain about "Oh, Staten Island is so underserved and is the forgotten borough and yadda yadda yadda". What, you didn't know it was going to be like this when you moved out here? <_<

Exactly. You don't know about that, so keep quiet. <_<

It's unfair because you say "They should've known what they were getting into when they moved there" .. It is a large population, many have cars, many don't, some put up with it, some can't, I can barely tolerate it... I am not transferring schools also because the schools around here SUCK but anyways, the Q85 already should have LTD service on saturdays, I have said that loads of times..

I can't afford to pay 11$ a day for express bus. I'm only a teenager and I have no job......x63 requires me taking the Q85 to Rosedale btw. It isn't close at all... x64 is in Cambria Heights, that isn't the closest to me either....

Well if it were me I'd get my parents to pay for the express bus or LIRR OR I'd get a job. That solves that problem. I moved to Staten Island not knowingly, but because my mom died so the move to Staten Island for me was unexpected, otherwise I doubt I would've ever moved there. In any event though, my issue isn't with the transportation there, but the lack of service or length with which some express bus routes run. With Queens it is a similar situation in some areas.

Why? Economics. It's a fact that places with fewer mass transit options have cheaper properties than places with more mass transit options.

Express bus, MetroNorth, LIRR... Same crappola... Still makes no sense to complain. They already knew what they were getting when they moved to those areas... Unless they've got the answer to get monies to build out new subway stations, I don't see them happening, not to mention the potential NIMBY's. I sure as hell don't want a subway in my neighborhood and I know quite a few residents that don't want one either there. Our "subway" is MetroNorth... The further east in Queens you go the more suburban it feels and quite frankly having subways there at this point would destroy some neighborhoods.

The Rockaways have low population density and they're not ruined by the (A):

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/census/mappl1.pdf

Granted this is from the 2000 Census and some high rises have been built since then. However, the Rockaway el existed decades before in a much more surburban area. Also, some of the neighborhoods in Queens are ruined without the mass transit. Just look at South Jamaica.

Merrick would certainly make sense for a subway corridor, but an extension along Jamaica will come before an extension along Merrick.

Why? Economics. It's a fact that places with fewer mass transit options have cheaper properties than places with more mass transit options.

This isn't necessarily true...

The Rockaways have low population density and they're not ruined by the (A):

http://www.nyc.gov/h...nsus/mappl1.pdf

Granted this is from the 2000 Census and some high rises have been built since then. However, the Rockaway el existed decades before in a much more surburban area.

The Rockaways... Heh... I'd beg to differ... <_<

Well if it were me I'd get my parents to pay for the express bus or LIRR OR I'd get a job. That solves that problem. I moved to Staten Island not knowingly, but because my mom died so the move to Staten Island for me was unexpected, otherwise I doubt I would've ever moved there. In any event though, my issue isn't with the transportation there, but the lack of service or length with which some express bus routes run. With Queens it is a similar situation in some areas.

Yeah well my mother wouldn't pay for it trust me and getting a job is what I am trying to do, its harder to get a job as a teen than you think..

Yeah well my mother wouldn't pay for it trust me and getting a job is what I am trying to do, its harder to get a job as a teen than you think..

Regardless of no Subway service or not, consider yourself lucky to have good Bus Service still around your area, if you cross the border not to far from your area, buses are breaking down like crazy. Had I moved to Great Neck, I'd probably be better off walking from Lakeville Road to the Q12 terminal than dealing with NICE.

Here is an instafix to this crap add turnstiles to LIRR in queens then integrate the fare of LIRR in eastern queens with the subway. Then let the fare be paid with metrocard local fare. Then add service here is a resource efficient way at off peak add 30 min service to long beach LIRR make all of em serve those 3 LIRR SE queens stations as skipping em only saves 4 minutes!!! Then let far rockaway and west hempstead merge at off peak as a crosstown line with 30 min service added to far rockaway line as a SCOOT crosstown time trains at valley stream. West hempstead can get a boost at a lower cost. DONE cross honor metrocard for travel within queens and to manhattan from queens.

OHH FYI a polititian came up with the fare consolidation idea.

LIRR/MNR fares with NYC should be kept at the price of an express bus ride at all times, no peak surcharges or offpeak discounts.

Currently:

Zone 1 peak $7.25

Zone 1 off peak $5

Zone 3 peak $4.50

Zone 3 off peak $3.25

Zone 1/3 peak $8.75

Zone 1/3 off peak $6.25

Monthly zone 1 $163

Monthly zone 3 $123

Monthly zone 1/3 $193

They'd actually make more money cause more people would ride

Here is an instafix to this crap add turnstiles to LIRR in queens then integrate the fare of LIRR in eastern queens with the subway. Then let the fare be paid with metrocard local fare. Then add service here is a resource efficient way at off peak add 30 min service to long beach LIRR make all of em serve those 3 LIRR SE queens stations as skipping em only saves 4 minutes!!! Then let far rockaway and west hempstead merge at off peak as a crosstown line with 30 min service added to far rockaway line as a SCOOT crosstown time trains at valley stream. West hempstead can get a boost at a lower cost. DONE cross honor metrocard for travel within queens and to manhattan from queens.

OHH FYI a polititian came up with the fare consolidation idea.

Welll don't know what to say to that.

-_______- anyways, the LIRR stations are used a bit, I always see people walking to them... The buses are packed, the subway would ease the crowding.. The (E) was supposed to go down Merrick I believe so there is the answer to your question... Try living here and taking the buses, then you would see that a subway would help a lot

Southeast Queens don't need a subway. It already has buses and dollar vans serving every single corridor of that area, and they'll get people to Jamaica faster than a (E) that terminates at Springfield Gardens.

There was supposed to be an Merrick Blvd or a Supthin Blvd subway. Either way, it would have eased crowding down there. You are incorrect to say Southeast Queens dosen't need a subway, if the IND second system was built the 120th Avenue line and the Merrick Line would be packed EVERY DAY.

Archived