Queens' Transit Troubles

BM5 via Woodhaven

Southeast Queens don't need a subway. It already has buses and dollar vans serving every single corridor of that area, and they'll get people to Jamaica faster than a (E) that terminates at Springfield Gardens.

This it what leads to Queens' transit troubles. Poor subway options and packed buses, as well as riders with long commutes. If a subway were built further into Queens. You don't know how much revenue the MTA will get

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southeast Queens don't need a subway. It already has buses and dollar vans serving every single corridor of that area, and they'll get people to Jamaica faster than a (E) that terminates at Springfield Gardens.

If the subway was built then there wouldn't be a need for the buses and dollar vans...

And I don't think that everyone that lives in Springfield Gardens only goes to Jamaica.. Jamaica is not the center of the City; many people still have to go to points beyond. If anything, getting to Jamaica is only a third of their commute.

Again, the subway was supposed to be built.. the provisions for an expansion are already there.. I think its time that we finish the job.

If the subway was built then there wouldn't be a need for the buses and dollar vans...

And I don't think that everyone that lives in Springfield Gardens only goes to Jamaica.. Jamaica is not the center of the City; many people still have to go to points beyond. If anything, getting to Jamaica is only a third of their commute.

Again, the subway was supposed to be built.. the provisions for an expansion are already there.. I think its time that we finish the job.

I would extend the (F) to Floral Park, extend the (E) to Southeast Queens via Farmers Blvd, and extend the (J) and (Z) to Springfield Blvd via

Jamaica Avenue and Linden Blvd.

The problem is, where does the money come from to do this? Such an expansion would take at least 8 years, and you'd have to be working on them at the same time....

This isn't necessarily true...

The Rockaways... Heh... I'd beg to differ... <_<

OK VG8 you against subways further into the outerboros. You against a light rail(my plan VG8 rejected although he never heard of it lol)and more 'express buses." VG8 not everyone is going to Manhattan. So what you propose (VG8 has probably has no plan it's only his self-center world LOL)for someone in SE Queens going to work in Long Island City. Seriously getting tired of VG8 loving express bus and not offering solutions for those students/workers NOT GOING TO MANHATTAN? :o In other Intra-Boro Travel!

TBH, any extension would first need an improvement of QBL capacity, like the super-express bypass. If not, crowding would just get worse.

Well, when CBTC comes hopefully QB can handle at least 35 TPH on each track, but I agree that the LIE bypass should be built. Certain <E> or <F> trains could use it....

Well, when CBTC comes hopefully QB can handle at least 35 TPH on each track, but I agree that the LIE bypass should be built. Certain <E> or <F> trains could use it....

And what about the NIMBY's Threxx who blocked a LIE Bypass for the QB lines since it was first mentioned in IND early days in the 1930's and again proposed several times since the 1960's with the 63rd Tunnel plans?

And what about the NIMBY's Threxx who blocked a LIE Bypass for the QB lines since it was first mentioned in IND early days in the 1930's and again proposed several times since the 1960's with the 63rd Tunnel plans?

The bypass does not need to use the LIE, it could be right under the current tracks if it has to be....

If there's not enough physical capacity at stations, no signal system will change that - so 35TPH is unlikely to happen. A lot more practical would be a QBL bypass via the LIRR ROW.

I don't expect buses to go away when there's a (E) Southeast Queens. The (E) to Southeast Queens will give people a much needed alternative to buses like the Q5 or the Q85 for starters and reduce the crowding on those buses.

I don't expect buses to go away when there's a (E) Southeast Queens. The (E) to Southeast Queens will give people a much needed alternative to buses like the Q5 or the Q85 for starters and reduce the crowding on those buses.

I don't think anybody intends for the subway to completely replace the buses, but just release pressure from them.

And to those who propose extending the (E) or bulid the QB bypass couple of questions? 1)Where does it go to it? 2)Where the $$$ to pay for it? 3)How you address NIMBY concerns?

Where could it go? Have the (E) take over the LIRR branch that serves Laurelton and have it end there. Have all LIRR trains run along the St. albans branch. Money? Apply for federal funds (it shouldn't be that much since there wouldn't be a whole lot of new track laid). For NIMBY concerns, it's existing track, so what valid concern could they realistically have?

And to those who propose extending the (E) or bulid the QB bypass couple of questions? 1)Where does it go to it? 2)Where the $$$ to pay for it? 3)How you address NIMBY concerns?

Here are the answers:

1) The Jamaica Avenue area would make the most sense. I know some propose sending the (E) down Merrick, but the fact is that the extra tracks (which extend to 160th Street) are for a provision to extend east through the Jamaica Avenue area.

2) The $$$ isn't there. If it weren't for $$$ a line would be already be going down Jamaica Avenue within blocks of the Nassau County border.

3) There will always be NIMBY concerns. They will be annoyed with construction under Jamaica Avenue. Convince the NIMBY's that the end result will be better mass transit for their neighborhood, because even they will admit that it can't get much worse (for NYC standards).

I don't think anybody intends for the subway to completely replace the buses, but just release pressure from them.

Where could it go? Have the (E) take over the LIRR branch that serves Laurelton and have it end there. Have all LIRR trains run along the St. albans branch. Money? Apply for federal funds (it shouldn't be that much since there wouldn't be a whole lot of new track laid). For NIMBY concerns, it's existing track, so what valid concern could they realistically have?

How long will it take to convert a LIRR station, or branch into a subway stop?

@Shortline Bus... I thought I clarified myself earlier on in this thread. A lot of Eastern Queens has a suburban feel and is less densely populated and thus the biggest bang for the buck would be to extend or create new bus routes. Unfortunately, IMO, a lot of Queens is set up like Staten Island in terms of intra-borough travel which means that commuting within the borough can be downright painful. The quickest way to alleviate some problems is to improve local bus service in Queens and have more buses acting as connectors. Down the road, perhaps subway extensions can be made, though quite frankly I think it's a terrible idea as it would be costly and extensive and destroy the character of some areas. Not every neighborhood needs subway service, nor does every area want it. We have the Second Avenue subway as proof... <_< Light rails are another possibility but quite frankly some areas would be just fine with improved, speedier bus service (i.e. more limited stop service) and MORE artics.

Second Avenue needs a subway; although they might not like the construction process, the subway itself is needed to help the (4)(5)(6).

With SE Queens, there are so many people that they need a subway. And no, a subway will only help the neighborhood with its overcrowding issues; there's not much more buses can do. Trains are more efficient, whether you like it or not.

Second Avenue needs a subway; although they might not like the construction process, the subway itself is needed to help the (4)(5)(6).

With SE Queens, there are so many people that they need a subway. And no, a subway will only help the neighborhood with its overcrowding issues; there's not much more buses can do. Trains are more efficient, whether you like it or not.

Quite frankly, he's right. The major corridors along that area NEED an Extention of the subway. Buses are too piled up, and the subway can Allieviate some of that overcrowding of the buses

Speaking of the Rockaways, this was brought up before, but why not restructure the Q35 as a limited in Queens and put it on Rockaway Beach Boulevard instead of Newport Avenue? Then it could run to and from Arverne at all times, allowing for better connections with the subways at Brooklyn College, instead of a long Q52 ride to Woodhaven.

This is how I would run the Q35 as a full-time limited:

Eastbound to Arverne:

H and Nostrand

Flatbush Avenue and Kings Highway

Avenue N (moved from Avenue P)

Fillmore Avenue (added)

Avenue S

Avenue U

Marine Park Golf Club

Aviator Sports

Gateway main entrance

State Road cutoff

Riis Park - bathhouse

Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 149 Street

Beach 135 Street

Beach 125 Street

Beach 115 Street

Beach 108 Street

Beach 105 Street

Beach 102 Street

Beach 96 Street

Beach 91 Street

Beach 86 Street

Beach 81 Street

Beach 73 Street

Beach 69 Street

Beach 67 Street (last stop)

Westbound

Reverse all stops except:

Beach 126 Street instead of Beach 125 Street

No Fillmore Avenue northbound stop

Speaking of the Rockaways, this was brought up before, but why not restructure the Q35 as a limited in Queens and put it on Rockaway Beach Boulevard instead of Newport Avenue? Then it could run to and from Arverne at all times, allowing for better connections with the subways at Brooklyn College, instead of a long Q52 ride to Woodhaven.

This is how I would run the Q35 as a full-time limited:

Eastbound to Arverne:

H and Nostrand

Flatbush Avenue and Kings Highway

Avenue N (moved from Avenue P)

Fillmore Avenue (added)

Avenue S

Avenue U

Marine Park Golf Club

Aviator Sports

Gateway main entrance

State Road cutoff

Riis Park - bathhouse

Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 149 Street

Beach 135 Street

Beach 125 Street

Beach 115 Street

Beach 108 Street

Beach 105 Street

Beach 102 Street

Beach 96 Street

Beach 91 Street

Beach 86 Street

Beach 81 Street

Beach 73 Street

Beach 69 Street

Beach 67 Street (last stop)

Westbound

Reverse all stops except:

Beach 126 Street instead of Beach 125 Street

No Fillmore Avenue northbound stop

No. Past 116 street the Q22 doesn't get a lot of usage as from Far Rockaway to 116 st. More people prefer Newport Avenue. Most of the ridership of the Q35 is on Newport Avenue and is evenly distributed among the stops. Any Extention the 35 needs is none. The 22 is fine being the only local, as the Q52/Q53 pick up the slack of riders that goes to the mainland

Second post in general---the state and city need to cut waste from the budget so that the E can be extended down into southeastern Queens. Also, there should be a need for a crosstown Queens bus that extends across southern Queens, which is too much of a spoke-and-hub model, even if this is a Monday-Saturday only route (6 AM to 10 PM weekdays and 8 AM to 8 PM Saturdays). One such route that I would suggest would run from the JFK Central Terminal Area north, via 148 Street, 150 Street, Rockaway Boulevard, Baisley Boulevard, Linden Boulevard, Springfield Boulevard (looping to serve Queensboro Community College), Horace Harding Boulevard, 61 Avenue (to provide service into Douglaston, and then Marcus Avenue via North Shore Towers into LIJ. 20 minutes peak, 30 minutes off-peak and Saturdays.

Other extensions I would do: Send alternating Q43 trips via 61 Avenue in Douglaston to LIJ on weekdays and Saturdays (as one can make the argument that the eastern end of the line into Floral Park is a bit overserved; service there would not drop below 20 minute headways) to provide service into a transit desert. Deepdale and Douglaston have historically gotten the shaft.

No. Past 116 street the Q22 doesn't get a lot of usage as from Far Rockaway to 116 st. More people prefer Newport Avenue. Most of the ridership of the Q35 is on Newport Avenue and is evenly distributed among the stops. Any Extention the 35 needs is none. The 22 is fine being the only local, as the Q52/Q53 pick up the slack of riders that goes to the mainland

I can agree with keeping the Q35 on Newport---however, riders into eastern Rockaway Park, Hammels, and Arverne need better transit options.

Yeah, but they are expensive and timely to build. At this rate who knows when or IF the full Second Avenue project will be completed. All of the folks yelling for subway service... Where do we find the money for these extensions #1 and #2 how long do they take to be completed? That's the question no one can answer. Improving bus service in the near future can be done and at a relatively low cost compared to the subway.

Yeah, but they are expensive and timely to build. At this rate who knows when the full Second Avenue project will be completed. All of the folks yelling for subway service... Where do we find the money for these extensions #1 and #2 how long do they take to be completed? That's the question no one can answer. Improving bus service in the near future can be done and at a relatively low cost compared to the subway.

Um, if you didn't realize, most of Phase 2 is already constructed from the 70's, and we can apply for federal funds for Phase 3....

Archived